• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Yuripaw

Banned
Sallokin said:
Loving the game so far. Pretty much exactly what I hoped it'd be. I'm team Katherine for the moment, but goddamn she's getting on my nerves. Almost like a real girlfriend at times lol.
Stick with it, Katherine is worth it.

Knuckleruckamus said:
Found it pretty tricky to orient myself when partially hidden and also having the controls always relative to Vincent is rough.

Rapunzel is excellent practice for the reversed controls on the opposite side of the walls. It's an excellent technique to master that comes in handy more often than you'd think.

cj_iwakura

Gold on Underground Cemetery. Without a perfect chain.

Rumor has it they made getting Gold a bit more lenient. I think I'm glad for that.

Sallokin

Yuripaw said:
Stick with it, Katherine is worth it.

Right on! I'm making this one my "blue" play through. Next is my "I don't give a fuck, Red" play through. So glad Atlus brought this over. I remember the uproar when we thought it might not get released.

I find the game is a perfect mix of puzzle and story. The puzzles are a great challenge and most importantly fun. Then you get the down time of the bar to flesh out the story, talk to characters and play Rapunzel.

Just wish my EB had a collector's edition to spare.. they only had an extra 360 version and those compressed FMV's didn't look so hot.

Yuripaw

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
So you're saying Catherine isn't? zomg spoilerz...
No, I'm not saying it isn't worth it...I just couldn't say since I haven't done it that way, but Katherine was worth it. I think I got her best ending.

Now if you want to get into spoiler territory...

I just really have no idea how a pro Catherine ending could turn out because in my play through
it was revealed that Catherine didn't even really exist, and was some kind of succubus. So whatever her ending is like, I have to imagine it must go pretty bad for Vincent.

Grisby

Played 2 hours on the 360. Games is awesome. Love the mix of cutscenes and real time stuff.

I'm even digging the puzzles! Playing on Easy first though. I'm on Team Katherine so I'm sticking with the blue meter but man...sometimes you wanna be bad. I loved how one of the text replies early on was "PICS NAO", lol, good stuff.

Really digging it. Also, Troy is rocking the VA. One of my favorite VA'a in the business.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm on night 4 and it really feels like they're trying to make Katherine out to be some kind of hag. Then again, Vincent is an ass anyway... which is probably why I think I can understand why Jeff on the Bombcast has no real love for where the story is going.

Tiktaalik

ANECDOTAL SALES AGE AHOY

I bought this at the local Best Buy tonight and the guy at the till said, "Another one? Wow this game is really popular!"

firehawk12 said:
I'm on night 4 and it really feels like they're trying to make Katherine out to be some kind of hag.

How much does the story differ depending on your alignment? In my game Katherine has been rather uptight, but ultimately, kind and respectful.

I mean, come on, as of where I am right now with blue alignment before
The Quadrangle
:

Vincent has clearly been acting strange in her eyes, and he's not acting responsible like a potential father should. Katherine gets mad at him when his mind wanders, but each time it's been when Vincent has been trying to hide Catherine from her. She's also sent apologetic texts after each incident, telling Vincent she's sorry about coming across as controlling/showing up unannounced. So far, she's complained about his drinking, and then relented, and apologized for showing up when Catherine was in the house (Vincent lied to her and told Katherine it was his boss in the bathroom)
. So far, Katherine's been a pragmatic but loving person.

Duffyside

Banned
I'm excited to play this, but does anyone not see where the plot is going from a mile away? I hope I'm wrong, but... I don't think I am.

cj_iwakura

2-1 Hard cleared. Wow, it's like a completely different game. Screw getting Gold, I'm glad to survive. Just like the first time I did normal.

Damn you, Atlus!
(I expected no less.)

Just beat the first "boss". This game is friggin brutal and I'm barely an hour in. Died like 6 times already.

Loving the dialogue and voice acting. Atlus and the Persona team is really good at this kind of stuff.

cj_iwakura said:
2-1 Hard cleared. Wow, it's like a completely different game. Screw getting Gold, I'm glad to survive. Just like the first time I did normal.

Damn you, Atlus!
(I expected no less.)
Hahaha! This is exactly how I feel. This game is intense and difficult. Love it!

cosmicblizzard said:
Just beat the first "boss". This game is friggin brutal and I'm barely an hour in. Died like 6 times already.

Loving the dialogue and voice acting. Atlus and the Persona team is really good at this kind of stuff.
I think I died at least 10 times on that boss. Holy crap this game makes you think. I just want to get through the puzzles and get back to the story! =D

JEKKI

ahhhh Im so OCD!! I kept on retrying retrying retrying until I got the stage perfect!!

now Im on the 3rd nite and Im like fukk it! this game's getting hard now lol, cant afford the time to be OCD anymore =P

cj_iwakura

TheExodu5 said:
What's this "patched" difficulty I'm hearing about?

The patch added more continues to Easy and Normal mode, and a 'spring' jump power up that lets you skip three blocks at once.

Also, Undo's now in Normal.

Hard is unchanged.

TheExodu5

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
The patch added more continues to Easy and Normal mode, and a 'spring' jump power up that lets you skip three blocks at once.

Also, Undo's now in Normal.

Hard is unchanged.

I don't remember actually downloading a patch...though I do have Undos in Normal...I think.

cj_iwakura

^The patch is preloaded into Catherine US.

JEKKI said:
ahhhh Im so OCD!! I kept on retrying retrying retrying until I got the stage perfect!!

now Im on the 3rd nite and Im like fukk it! this game's getting hard now lol, cant afford the time to be OCD anymore =P

Yeah, save Gold for later. You can replay at your leisure. Don't stress your self out just yet. :p

Also, never neglect the pair with the tutorials at the Landings.

Talk to them often and repeatedly. Their techniques are absolutely essential.

george_us

Only 24 minutes in and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to beat this. I'm only on the second stage and I was already about ready to throw my damn controller. This game seems like an exercise in trial and error.

cj_iwakura

george_us said:
Only 24 minutes in and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to beat this. I'm only on the second stage and I was already about ready to throw my damn control. This game seems like an exercise in trial and error.

There is a method to the madness. Once you learn fundamental block patterns, it becomes worlds easier. Keep at it.

Yuripaw

Banned
george_us said:
Only 24 minutes in and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to beat this. I'm only on the second stage and I was already about ready to throw my damn control. This game seems like an exercise in trial and error.
Also, don't be ashamed to take it down to easy difficulty if it is too hard for you on normal or hard. This game is still challenging even on easy.

Adam J.

george_us said:

You playing on Very Easy? Comments like this are really starting to dissuade my decision to pick this up this week.

Binx

I fully expected to hate the puzzles but love the story and social parts of the game. I was right about the story but wrong about pushing blocks. I actually look forward to seeing what new challenge it will throw at you. Hard as hell but addictive.

I'm on the 3rd night and trying to figure out how to be on team Erica.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Adam J. said:
You playing on Very Easy? Comments like this are really starting to dissuade my decision to pick this up this week.

So far it just seems like a matter of patience. You can't expect to just blow through a puzzle and get to the next story segment. It takes time, but it's doable.

plus, there are always plenty of guides out there

anyways, the game is very interesting so far

So, how are yall playing this game? Just giving your honest answers, going blue, or going red?

I don't like aiming for one side or the other on my first playthrough, so I'm pretty just giving my honest answer on things.

ultron87

I love the "What other people answered" stats after the confessional. The second questions was way closer to 50/50 than I thought it would be.

cj_iwakura

Cheska said:
Holy shit, these sound issues are driving me insane. How was this not fixed before the final game released?

It's not THAT bad, really. I can hear it just fine.

That said, rumor has it there may be a patch released for it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Cheska said:
Holy shit, these sound issues are driving me insane. How was this not fixed before the final game released?

Sound is pretty much an issue in every Atlus game I've played. The spell effects in Nocturne are terrible. :(

I really wish they would ship their games with music/dialogue/effects sliders.

The sound levels in this game do seem to be all over the place, even more than usual though...

N4Us

Oh man, fighting off
Katherine in stage 5-3
is rough. I feel like it's death no matter what if you slow down even once.

Cheska

cj_iwakura said:
It's not THAT bad, really. I can hear it just fine.

That said, rumor has it there may be a patch released for it.
I'm having to constantly adjust it, cutscenes can barely be heard unless the volume is higher than usual for me :(

IrishNinja

hey, could some of you guys playing this off Gamefly (especially on the east coast) get it tied up & send it back soon? that'd be awesome!

Pachinko

yeah my first playthrough I'm just leaving it on easy, I thought about normal but decided if I played through the story and enjoyed it I'd do a normal run for my second go at it.

Top Bottom