• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

TxdoHawk

Wow, so I was cruising pretty smoothly in this on Easy...and then I got to 6-3 and it's like I hit a brick wall of difficulty. It's late, though, and I feel like I'm too tired to get what needs to be done.

Random thoughts:

- The swearing in the dub seems...excessive. Was this amount present in the original script?

- I have to laugh that Vincent will only look at the
pictures
Catherine sends him while
in the restroom, and only when in the stall no less!
That's some fourteen-year-old levels of paranoia right there.

- Is there a reason not to get fully drunk every night?

All in all, I'm enjoying the game, and actually enjoying the puzzle portion of it more than I thought I would.

Man this game is pretty good. Don;t know if I'll have the patience or time to get all of the endings but lets get through it once right?

Also this game seems like it has every relatively popular va out there....so I'll ask.

Where is the Nolan North and Steve Blum...it's not a game if they don't show up.

also

ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Knux-Future said:
Man this game is pretty good. Don;t know if I'll have the patience or time to get all of the endings but lets get through it once right?

Also this game seems like it has every relatively popular va out there....so I'll ask.

Where is the Nolan North and Steve Blum...it's not a game if they don't show up.

also

ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Pretty sure Nolan North is Vincent.

EDIT: Nope!

I must not be meant to play this game. Amazon finally shipped and now UPS is being stupid.

It left Tulsa... 2 hours later it arrives back in Tulsa.. then finally shipped out of Tulsa and made it to KY.... im in Mississippi... bet I don't have the game tomorrow. :(

yami4ct

Just finished the Immoral Beast on normal for my first play though. I've been naturally trending blue this time. I may go back for a neutral and red play through, but that'll be way down the line. Really liking it so far, but have a few minor complaints. First, the continue system is archaic. If you die near the beginning of a level, it should dump you at the beginning without using a continue. Also, if you use them all, it should send you to the beginning, not to the title screen. It just seems to be more of an added frustration to make me go all the way back to my previous save. Last issue, the text messaging system is odd. I get what they're thinking, but it's form over function. Just give me a list of lines to pick from, or let me go forward and back. Despite these complaints, it's been fun so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
yami4ct said:
Just finished the Immoral Beast on normal for my first play though. I've been naturally trending blue this time. I may go back for a neutral and red play through, but that'll be way down the line. Really liking it so far, but have a few minor complaints. First, the continue system is archaic. If you die near the beginning of a level, it should dump you at the beginning without using a continue. Also, if you use them all, it should send you to the beginning, not to the title screen. It just seems to be more of an added frustration to make me go all the way back to my previous save. Last issue, the text messaging system is odd. I get what their thinking, but it's form over function. Just give me a list of lines to pick from, or let me go forward and back. Despite these complaints, it's been fun so far.

I agree about the game overs, I'm fine with being sent back to the start of the level, but I should be able to save at the start of the level instead of having the skip through old cutscenes before the nightmare.

I'm OK with the texts just because I've been in that situation where I'm fumbling to type the right thing and keep doubting myself and retyping everything. It works for me.

yami4ct

Snuggler said:
I agree about the game overs, I'm fine with being sent back to the start of the level, but I should be able to save at the start of the level instead of having the skip through old cutscenes before the nightmare.

I'm OK with the texts just because I've been in that situation where I'm fumbling to type the right thing and keep doubting myself and retyping everything. It works for me.

Yeah, sending me back to the beginning makes complete sense. I get the fact that limited continues makes it more frantic, and you'd lose some of that if you had infinite continues, but sending me all the way back to the title menu is just an added frustration. It forced me to put the game down a could of times. Maybe I should thank them as I may have just raged out if I didn't have that break.

Yuripaw

Banned
Oh, really? Heh! Sounds just like Nolan North to me. XD
Don't sweat it, cuz at first, I thought he sounded like Nolan North in the trailers too. But as I was playing the game, it was undeniable it was Troy Baker. Everytime I died and had to continue, when he says "Now's not the time to die", I was like "That is totally Kanji from Persona 4!" lol

The boss of stage 6....im losing patience with these cheap deaths. Also add the fact you go like 5 mins without a checkpoint is even more rage inducing.

Yuripaw said:
Don't sweat it, cuz at first, I thought he sounded like Nolan North in the trailers too. But as I was playing the game, it was undeniable it was Troy Baker. Everytime I died and had to continue, when he says "Now's not the time to die", I was like "That is totally Kanji from Persona 4!" lol
Ah, I'm not familiar with Troy Baker. I'm not too far in Persona 4 yet, so I don't know who this Kanji character is.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh, really? Heh! Sounds just like Nolan North to me. XD

I keep hearing North too, you're not alone.

Holy shit the confessional is something else. It's awesome but my one complaint is that I don't like having a red/blue meter that rates the morality of my answers, I think it should be more ambiguous than that.

Wow, I'm way in the minority with the marriage question. It's when you settle down, therefore it's when life ends, makes sense right?

Hylian7

Dear 4-1, FUCK YOU.

Love, Hylian7

Also, I'm assuming when there are cut scenes where the meter shows up, which ever "angel" does the flying animation is the side you are leaning toward, right? If so, I guess I'm leaning toward Katherine.

Spoilers below:

She's pregnant, she thinks.

Snuggler said:
]Wow, I'm way in the minority with the marriage question. It's when you settle down, therefore it's when life ends, makes sense right?
Heh. I was pretty conflicted there as well. In a way, one life ends and another begins. It's too bad there wasn't an option with middle ground.

Aquavelvaman said:
Most people get married in their twenties, so calling that the end of your life is sort of a grim fraction of your time alive.
Most folks I know that are married and around my age (24) are already having kids and are settling down. It's just crazy to me. I have so much stuff I want to do before committing to someone else. I feel like my life is just beginning. Don't get me wrong though, I definitely would like to settle down with someone someday.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I was expecting some brutal difficulty on normal, but I'm cruising through the levels. Just got past the stage 4 boss and I have 20 stockpiled continues and counting. I've obviously died a couple of times per stage, but no wall yet!

Watch me not be able to beat stage 5.

I just did 6-1. That was a good one.

I played around 9 hours of the game so far. It's probably one of my favorite games this gen now. It's just so...me. It's perfect.

And Jesus, some of the puzzles were insane. Tons and tons of retrying, but I never lost patience. It was all amazingly fun and rewarding. My favorite section was the Quadrangle. I think the second map took me the longest to finish. Strangely enough the boss was quite easy for me while all the other ones had me retrying a lot. Also, the music for Quadrangle is awesome. What's the track name in the OST?

Mupod

cj_iwakura said:
There is a method to the madness. Once you learn fundamental block patterns, it becomes worlds easier. Keep at it.

Something like this happened with me in Lumines. It's like it just clicked in my brain and the game became 10 times more awesome.

cj_iwakura

I welcome a contradiction, but my gut tells me Boss is Michael McConnohie.

Archie sounds painfully familiar.

Wait. It just hit me.

Adachi.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Aquavelvaman said:
Most people get married in their twenties, so calling that the end of your life is sort of a grim fraction of your time alive.

It's not the end, but the beginning of the end. The second half.

ToHrU AdAcHi

Neo Member
Do you consider youself to be a pervert? Be honest now

I think this is the second game to ask me this. I was suprised that the pie chart was pretty 50/50

cj_iwakura said:

Wait. It just hit me.

Adachi.

Anime style videogame rule#1 Johnny Young Bosch will show up in some way or form.

Dude is in everything....ever.

ToHrU AdAcHi

Neo Member
cj_iwakura said:

Wait. It just hit me.

Adachi.

He also wears a similar red tie and hates women. That made me giggle a little.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really love how natural and well written the script is. The banter between friends is hilarious.

Yuripaw

Banned
thetrin said:
I really love how natural and well written the script is. The banter between friends is hilarious.
I thought the same thing myself...

Yet Jeff Gerstmann from Giantbomb kept making it sound like the script didn't come across right during localization or something. He also complained that "people don't act like this", when...maybe he hasn't ever been in a love triangle before himself, because people totally do act weird like that when caught in that situation sometimes.

mr2xxx

Banned
Fuck you guys, I give up you win. I haven't paid full price for a game since forever but I do love my quirky Japanese games and the Persona team did make this. I'll get this after my finals Thursday.

Tain

This game left me with a pretty great first impression.

I cannot imagine wanting a traditional JRPG instead of this. The thought literally makes my brain explode.

Yuripaw

Banned
Tain said:
This game left me with a pretty great first impression.

I cannot imagine wanting a traditional JRPG instead of this. The thought literally makes my brain explode.
I really liked this game, but why not a JRPG? I thought this was challenging, and at times fun, but I dunno, I think I just enjoy an RPG more. I really hope this game does well for them, because oh my god, i would go nuts to see a JRPG from this team on the PS3/360 with this kind of production value. This game had an awesome look to it.

d0c_zaius

TheExodu5 said:
Sound is pretty much an issue in every Atlus game I've played. The spell effects in Nocturne are terrible. :(

I really wish they would ship their games with music/dialogue/effects sliders.

The sound levels in this game do seem to be all over the place, even more than usual though...

yay I'm glad I am not going crazy

Cheska

Grr at night 3, each time I was a few blocks away from the exit but I kept messing one thing up or another. Also :O at that boss, that was freakin nuts.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat stage 5 now, so far so good. I actually have about 25 continues stockpiled up, haven't been dying nearly as much as I expected, 4-1 was the biggest hang up so far.

Yuterald

I think I'm up to the fourth night, but I've gone back to get Golds on Stage 1-3. Stage 3 Gold on Normal was pretty 0_0 It took me over an hour to get it down. It's definitely one of those games where once you start going for the best scores/trophies the game truly begins to shine.

Kusagari

6-1 just handed me my ass. I wasn't expecting the sudden shift in difficulty when you factor in all the different blocks.

Oh, and I love the voice of the big sheep. It's hilarious.

Finally beat 7-3, I feel like I should of found out how to beat that level, 20 mins ago lol.

Edit: Some of the things the sheep say are interesting...

Top Bottom