• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SteveWinwood said:
A lot of the conversations at the bars remind me of conversations I've had with my friends at bars... It's striking a lot of strange chords.
Same. In fact, the Stray Sheep portions of the game make me nostalgic for a time when I used to hang at bars with my friends pretty often, and we'd talk about stuff like this all the time.

thetrin said:
Hmm, I feel the exact opposite. The way the characters interact, and the frankness with which they deliver their lines kinda blows me away. The back and forth isn't always the best, but the actual delivery is great, and the actual writing is fantastic. They talk like regular people. They swear in appropriate ways, and they're regular, flawed people, rather than perfect male power fantasies with impeccable moral compasses.

nice post.

JohngPR

I know this is old, but I thought this was really cool, and I just saw it today.

image354.png

image355.png

Vincent cameo in Persona 3: Portable

I wonder if there's any Persona cameos in Catherine.

JohngPR said:
I know this is old, but I thought this was really cool, and I just saw it today.

http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/image354.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/image355.png[IMG]

I wonder if there's any Persona cameos in Catherine.[/QUOTE]
There's a sketch of Teddy from P4 in the Stray Sheep bathroom

Luminate said:
Is the "mysterious dude" in the Confessional Dave Wittenberg? I swear whenever he talks, I think Teddie's on the other side.

At the end of the game, he comes out of the booth wearing a bear costume!

You could say it's really em-bear-assing!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sucks I have to be away from my PS3 all day, but I'm digging what I've played of Catherine so far. I'm not typically into anime stuff, but the writing is surprisingly good and the voice actors do it justice. The puzzle gameplay is a bigger surprise, though. I suck at it, but it's fun, challenging, and totally original. I'm glad they didn't play it safe and make it a shallow action game or a typical RPG.

I'm happy with my purchase!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JohngPR said:

image354.png

image355.png

The jukebox has Persona music, I know that. I don't know about anything outside of that, though.

JumpingTheGun said:
nice post.
Why thank you. :D

Has anyone else been enjoying the soundtrack as much as I have? Im a fan of classical music to begin with and these remixes are top notch. Never thought Id be bobbing my head to Chopin or Dvorak.

JumpingTheGun said:
Has anyone else been enjoying the soundtrack as much as I have? Im a fan of classical music to begin with, but these remixes are top notch. Never thought Id be bobbing my head to Chopin or Dvorak.

Baba Yaga(The Hut on Fowl's Legs) is the best remix.

JumpingTheGun said:
Has anyone else been enjoying the soundtrack as much as I have? Im a fan of classical music to begin with and these remixes are top notch. Never thought Id be bobbing my head to Chopin or Dvorak.

I love it, despite not knowing much about the originals. The insights in the art book about the music were pretty cool. It has removed the Foo Fighters from my car's cd player, which is quite an accomplishment.

Broke down and ordered this for instore pickup at Ebgames. Going to trade in some old games to make myself feel better because I said I wouldn't buy another game until Dead Island =)

cj_iwakura

My favorite remix is Polostovian Dances.

Either that or L'Arlésienne, Second Suite, Farandole.

I really didn't expect the US players to flip over the difficulty like they have.

I just hope this doesn't cause the same drama the JP release does.

Also, my FAQ is apparently useless: Normal US is not the same as JP's, I'm hearing.
I'll be doing some re-writing, sounds like.

Also, the artbook is free of spoilers.

THE INSTRUCTION BOOK IS NOT.

Do not read the cast in the back.

Also also, Boss is apparently voiced by Kirk Thornton. I was way off.

Dang did they give him some great dialogue with the anecdotes.

And fair warning: I regard 6-3 as the hardest stage in the game in terms of sheer insanity.

Moofers

So any idea when we will know how the game is selling? I'm very interested in finding out what the numbers are. I know its anecdotal, but only one of my friends bought the game (out of like 50), and my local shops hardly have any copies. WalMart has 2 360 copies (censored box art), best buy has one each (also censored) and Gamestop has like 2-3 in each store (4 stores in town). Target is not carrying it, Sams isn't carrying it, etc. I fear the worst.

RDreamer

I think I'm going to have to put this down to easy. I have no clue how you people are going through this on normal without throwing a controller through your tvs.

Reveirg

I've put down 3 hours so far, playing in normal difficulty.

The overall presentation, visuals, and "feel" of the game is amazing. The Stray Sheep segments are really really fun! I'm really liking the story and cutscenes so far.

The block puzzles are a bit more fun than I had expected actually (I didn't try the demo). There are some minor annoyances. Controls are sometimes weird (I never know how to go left or right while hanging on blocks), and evading trap blocks seems a bit random sometimes. Nevertheless, I really feel like they succeeded in creating nice nightmarish segments of gameplay that fit very well.

I also really like the questions you get asked and the little online feature which tells you what other players answered. It does seem evident though that many players are basing their answers on the ending they want to get, and aren't being honest. Some results are really surprising! (It might just be me who wrongly expected some answers though!)

Unfortunately, the sound in the game is really, really off. And I'm not only talking about the obvious sound volume problems. The voices seem to have been compressed quite heavily. The s'es in particular got completely crunched. The game is on a freakin' blu-ray, there's no reason we'd have to get such poorly recorded/processed voice acting in a 2011 HD game.

At least the music is pretty good!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got through the first 5 stages shockingly easily, but I can't for the life of me beat the first Babel stage. I got up about 85 steps, but can't top it.

ToHrU AdAcHi

Neo Member
I just finished up night 4 yesterday, and I have to say that night has been my favorite thus far. Its incredible how this game balances a frantic "rush to the top" feeling with "okay, slow down and figure this part out." That really came through with night 4.

Tiktaalik

JohngPR said:

image354.png

image355.png

Is this just in P3 Portable or is he in vanilla P3 as well?

Grisby

Really enjoy the character designs in this game. I think they stand-out without being too overbearing.

Game is pretty funny too. More so then I thought it would be.

Korigama

cj_iwakura said:

Much too late for me (I did that while pondering if I should read through the artbook)...

I like how the solution to puzzles come to you in an ah ha moment. I was up in the middle of the night and it hit me how to get through 3-2.

By the way I love the expressions of Vincent as things progress and how the scenes get across.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
cj_iwakura said:

Thanks for the warning.

I'm going to start this tonight. Should be interesting.

PooBone

So if I really like this game, would you recommend other Atlus games like SMT and Persona? Never played one, but I know they are like 100 hours or something and I'm not a big JRPG guy. I also don't get invested enough to play games that long very often. What about that DS game? Anyone have other recommendations besides Persona/SMT?

Volcynika

cj_iwakura said:
There's no dire story revelations, but it makes a major reveal about an NPC.

Hm, I'd ask what but I'm sure someone would highlight the spoiler tag. (cj knows I've played the JP version)

Mupod

PooBone said:
So if I really like this game, would you recommend other Atlus games like SMT and Persona? Never played one, but I know they are like 100 hours or something and I'm not a big JRPG guy. I also don't get invested enough to play games that long very often. What about that DS game? Anyone have other recommendations besides Persona/SMT?

Persona 3 and 4 are good starter games, they share some similarities with SMT (demon fusion, battle system sorta) but definitely aren't the same series. They combine dungeon crawling, JRPG battles, and time management between school/social/beating up monsters etc.

For SMT I loved Nocturne and Strange Journey, but they are long as hell and pretty damn tough by JRPG standards. Nocturne was my first game of this type and I got my ass beat pretty hard (and repeatedly) by a certain boss before I got the hang of fusion. However, I stuck with the game because I loved its bleak aesthetic and total lack of lame JRPG cliches/annoying party members/whatever.

Mupod said:
Persona 3 and 4 are good starter games, they share some similarities with SMT (demon fusion, battle system sorta) but definitely aren't the same series. They combine dungeon crawling, JRPG battles, and time management between school/social/beating up monsters etc.

Persona 4 is definitely a good starter game for those interested. Kudos on the Zeppeli avatar.

Just finished 3-1, and I'm loving this so far. Died a few times (Normal difficulty), but damn I love the art, the characters, and the atmosphere. So different.

Top Bottom