• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Does using an item disqualify you from getting the gold prize? I just got a perfect on 6-1 and only got a silver, but I used an item I think (and I missed a couple coins).

Kolgar

Intrigued by this game, but I'm not sure it's for me. Reason? My long-time girlfriend (seven years) and I are extremely happy, but we have no plans to marry. If I play this in front of her, is this game going to throw a monkey wrench into my life?

What's the game's ultimate message? Does it encourage marriage over plain-old blissful togetherness in the end?

And will the mere sight of that collector's edition Catherine pillow be enough to make her want to leave me?

Zek said:
You really think your girlfriend has never been exposed to a "marriage is good" message before?

Of course she has. Look, I'm fine being entertained. But depending on the message here, and its delivery, I may not see any reason to make problems I don't currently have.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Kolgar said:
Intrigued by this game, but I'm not sure it's for me. Reason? My long-time girlfriend (seven years) and I are extremely happy, but we have no plans to marry. If I play this in front of her, is this game going to throw a monkey wrench into my life?

What's the game's ultimate message? Does it encourage marriage over plain-old blissful togetherness in the end?

And will the mere sight of that collector's edition Catherine pillow be enough to make her want to leave me?
You really think your girlfriend has never been exposed to a "marriage is good" message before?

Grisby

iconoclast said:
Does using an item disqualify you from getting the gold prize? I just got a perfect on 6-1 and only got a silver, but I used an item I think (and I missed a couple coins).

Yes, I believe it lowers your score.

Giolon

PooBone said:
Anyone play the devil survivor overclocked or whatever it's called?

I played the original Devil Survivor (Overclocked is a re-release w/ some new content on 3DS), and I didn't particularly like it. I love Persona 3 Portable though.

Kolgar said:

Depends on your alignment. Catherine is against marriage, while Katherine is for marriage.

Regardless of what you choose, the game is about taking charge. Vincent's life is a mess because he's spineless.

Fuckdammit, I am officially stumped on 7-3, I believe, right before the first checkpoint. I'M SO CLOSE, but I'm not getting how to move the blocks properly yet. I'm taking a reak for now.

cj_iwakura said:
And fair warning: I regard 6-3 as the hardest stage in the game in terms of sheer insanity.
Was this the one
before the Baby with Chainsaw? I recall that one giving me a major headache at the very top

PooBone

Urban Scholar said:
Not to derail the thread further but overclocked is the 3DS game coming next month.
But isn't that a port of a DS game? It's not too off topic, I'm trying to find similar titles to the game for which this is the OT.

So, I just started Catherine on Normal and I'm thinking that I probably won't have enough time to get all the endings on Normal.

Would starting on Very Easy allow me to get all the endings in a reasonable amount of time?

I don't really care for the puzzle gameplay and would rather play for the story.

The audio issue between the in-game cut scenes and the anime scenes is really annoying. :(

Andrefpvs said:
Thanks. Does it have character spoilers though? You know, characters that appear late in the game.
No, everyone in the artbook appears really early on.

Andrefpvs

Gunloc said:
The audio issue between the in-game cut scenes and the anime scenes is really annoying. :(

No, everyone in the artbook appears really early on.

Thank you. And yeah, the audio issue sounds a little worrying.

PooBone said:
But isn't that a port of a DS game? It's not too off topic, I'm trying to find similar titles to the game for which this is the OT.

Yeah it's an up port, with voice acting, more demons, and an extra scenario. I played the regular DS version many times over. It's an enjoyable SRPG

Cheska

Moofers said:
So any idea when we will know how the game is selling? I'm very interested in finding out what the numbers are. I know its anecdotal, but only one of my friends bought the game (out of like 50), and my local shops hardly have any copies. WalMart has 2 360 copies (censored box art), best buy has one each (also censored) and Gamestop has like 2-3 in each store (4 stores in town). Target is not carrying it, Sams isn't carrying it, etc. I fear the worst.

Pretty curious about this as well. I know most retailers that even carried the game are sold out or ordered very few copies. However, almost everyone I know is playing Catherine, and I think it has a slight advantage of coming out during the summer drought. Then again, it is a niche genre and may look unappealing to some.

Cheska said:
Pretty curious about this as well. I know most retailers that even carried the game are sold out or ordered very few copies. However, almost everyone I know is playing Catherine, and I think it has a slight advantage of coming out during the summer drought. Then again, it is a niche genre and may look unappealing to some.

They had pretty low expectations for the JP release so I would guess they would do similar for NA.

beat game took 18 hours on easy. loved it all the way until my bs ending. solid a plus title tho. nvr laughed so much at a game.
cat not being real is rly dumb tho
. how do i get a good ending with cat, if possible?

RDreamer

I'm on the stage 3 boss. Since they've introduced the trap boxes this game has been nuts. I can't believe they'd introduce this kind of shit when the game just started. There's no curve, it's just a steep cliff upward. They don't even try to show you how to play the game or get you used to it. They just tell you to bend over and take it and at some point you might like it.

I mean seriously everything about this game is so well designed I can't see how they forgot to have real people testing this thing. Did ANYONE play this while they were making it?

RDreamer said:
I'm on the stage 3 boss. Since they've introduced the trap boxes this game has been nuts. I can't believe they'd introduce this kind of shit when the game just started. There's no curve, it's just a steep cliff upward. They don't even try to show you how to play the game or get you used to it. They just tell you to bend over and take it and at some point you might like it.

I mean seriously everything about this game is so well designed I can't see how they forgot to have real people testing this thing. Did ANYONE play this while they were making it?

I just started stage 3 as well and I don't see it anywhere near that hard :|

The difficulty has increased on each stage but they tell you not to stand on the blocks, what was so hard about stage 3? I only did the first floor btw, so teh rest of stage 3 could be god awful :3

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jeez, 6-3 was insane. I still have a nice stockpile of 30 pillows saved up at least, but that was the first big roadblock I hit.

dragonlife said:
I just raised my volume kinda high and it seems fine to me for both sections.

Same here, sound has been fine.

Papercuts said:
Jeez, 6-3 was insane. I still have a nice stockpile of 30 pillows saved up at least, but that was the first big roadblock I hit.

Same here, sound has been fine.

I'm at 6-3 right now too and its the first time I'm running into issues.

Volcynika

When playing JP version on normal, I never really had a huge issue with bosses, it was mostly the levels. Though one of the later bosses had me stuck a wee bit.

Tain

RDreamer said:

I love figuring out shit on my own and adjusting quickly. A lot of people do.

I'm about as far as you are (on Normal, not using undos or jumps), and I haven't seen anything wrong with this game's difficulty curve. Trying a stage for the xth time is infinitely more fun than slogging through countless easy stages that offer no reason for the player to pay attention.

RDreamer said:
You can hang off trap boxes immediately after stepping on them. That comes in handy--at least, it did for me.

Tain said:
I love figuring out shit on my own and adjusting quickly. A lot of people do.
I definitely agree. This is the reason this game has resonated so well with me.

NichM

Banned
RDreamer said:

There are sheep at every landing who tell you, with video accompaniment, useful techniques to get you through the levels.

RDreamer said:

Yeah I think it's just you here. The game is pretty damn hard but it's not BUSTED CLEARLY WASN'T TESTED hard.

Alright can someone answer this without spoilers regarding the multiple endings: How does it work? Is there a point of no return where the ending is locked in and you can save before then and reload to get all of the endings, or do you have to replay the whole thing picking different answers to get different endings?

It'll probably give me a heart attack but I really want to 1000/1000 this game, although I haven't even beaten it once so maybe I'll change my tune.

Yeah, I'd like to 1000/1000 it as well. I only ever want for games I absolutely love. That said, I haven't looked at any of the Achievements so as to not spoil anything, just in case.

RDreamer

BigJiantRobut said:
Yeah I think it's just you here. The game is pretty damn hard but it's not BUSTED CLEARLY WASN'T TESTED hard.

Yeah, maybe it's me sucking at the game, but I still think they're introducing way too many elements waaaaaaay too early in the game. There's no ease in at all. There's barely any time to really get your feet wet.

I'm also wondering about in the cut scenes every once in a while the little blue/red scale pops up and for me its always been the blue angel that pops up. Is this changed by what I've been picking? So on average I've been picking more "good" things than "bad" things so far? So the conversation will play out differently right then if I had made different choices? Or is it just cut scene with the character doing a "good" thing moving it for me through the cut scene?

sonicmj1

iconoclast said:

From what I can tell, score is determined by the number of coins you have at the end of a stage. So buying an item between stages will make it harder for you to get a good prize, but using things you find during the stage shouldn't make any difference.

dragonlife said:
Fuckdammit, I am officially stumped on 7-3, I believe, right before the first checkpoint. I'M SO CLOSE, but I'm not getting how to move the blocks properly yet. I'm taking a break for now.
FUCK YEAH. Obstacle overcome. I definitely lucked out; I have no idea how I actually did it. If I died and had to do it again, I probably couldn't replicate it, haha. Thank Cthulu for the checkpoint. Phew.

It's amazing what a small break and fresh air can do.

Reave

Seems like there are a lot of people who aren't sure if this game in their bag. I'm the last person to play any kind of puzzle-esqe game out there (it's kind of fitting that nightmares are puzzles in the game, in my case), and I am inclined to say this is my favorite 2011 release so far.

The puzzle parts of the game isn't my favorite thing about the Catherine, but it is quite engaging and smart. Frustrating? Yes, but I think the game is worth those moments. Genuinely one of the biggest surprises of the year for my tastes. It's worth it, guys.

quick question:

Does retrying levels through your cell phone count towards time or anything? Like will people come and go from the bar and such as you are redoing stages?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
robotzombie said:
quick question:

Does retrying levels through your cell phone count towards time or anything? Like will people come and go from the bar and such as you are redoing stages?

Time only passes in the bar when you're sitting down talking.

aechris

dragonlife said:
FUCK YEAH. Obstacle overcome. I definitely lucked out; I have no idea how I actually did it. If I died and had to do it again, I probably couldn't replicate it, haha. Thank Cthulu for the checkpoint. Phew.

It's amazing what a small break and fresh air can do.

Haha, I think I am stuck in the exact same place you were - just before the checkpoint in 7-3. It was driving me crazy so I had to take a break.

6-3 really is the worst so far, and by far. I don't often get frustrated playing games but FUCK.

Top Bottom