• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

N4Us

RDreamer said:
I'm on the stage 3 boss. Since they've introduced the trap boxes this game has been nuts. I can't believe they'd introduce this kind of shit when the game just started. There's no curve, it's just a steep cliff upward. They don't even try to show you how to play the game or get you used to it. They just tell you to bend over and take it and at some point you might like it.

I had some trouble with that boss at first but I figured it out after taking a break. It's easier to think things through idly for me.

So having played the demo in English and Japanese about 32048992 times I can say I love the aesthetic and the story (insofar as the demo shows) but the puzzles are...trying to say the least. Love me some Team Persona but is this one just a bit too out there? Opinions?

An-Det

I just finished 4-1 on Normal. I'm loving the atmosphere so far, so well done. And the cutscene at the start of day 4, good shit.

Thoraxes

TheChillyAcademic said:
So having played the demo in English and Japanese about 32048992 times I can say I love the aesthetic and the story (insofar as the demo shows) but the puzzles are...trying to say the least. Love me some Team Persona but is this one just a bit too out there? Opinions?
No it's not out there. Buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Also holy shit at the Level (mid to late game)
6 part 3, before the boss. That shit is tough and i'm trying to figure out how to maneuver around what I would call the third main section of it, which is a huge 9x9 with a ton of spikes and a bomb in the middle. I've died 23 times so far and I just keep getting stuck.

SteveWinwood said:
I'm also wondering about in the cut scenes every once in a while the little blue/red scale pops up and for me its always been the blue angel that pops up. Is this changed by what I've been picking? So on average I've been picking more "good" things than "bad" things so far? So the conversation will play out differently right then if I had made different choices? Or is it just cut scene with the character doing a "good" thing moving it for me through the cut scene?
Anyone?

sephi22

Man, I bought this today afternoon and a friend and I played this non-stop all day. We stopped at about night 5 I think. The one where the
ice
blocks show up.

We found the puzzles a bit challenging at first, but once you figure out the pattern, you get into a rhythm and the puzzle become easy. We've spent 5-20 pillows on just figuring the flow of a level out. Once we get the hang of it, we skip to the main menu, load up the save, and blast through the level unscathed. Its cheap I know, but I'm saving my retries for the end game.

And for anyone who's having trouble, I've got one semi-obvious tip
before each level, listen to the sheep with glasses and the regal hair sheep for techniques. They actually hint at the techniques you will be using in the next level.
That stuff helped us out a lot. Especially the 'Cutout' and 'Cut across'.

(Not a spoiler if you've gone past the first nightmare level)

Amory

Man this game gets frustratingly hard even on easy difficulty. I'm on the 5th night and the boss stage is really starting to piss me off...

I'm really glad I went with my instincts on this one and chose easy mode or I'd never finish.

Edit: Holy shit I just ran through the whole stage in like 30 seconds basically without pausing.. shit just clicked!

Kambing

I got game earlier today and have played a total of 4 hours, give or take. Currently i am on stage 4-1. This game really clicks with me! The story is very funny, and being married, i can sort of relate to Vincent's situation. My "chick" meter so far has been going back and forth from the middle up to about 10% of team BLUE. I can definitely say that i am enjoying this game.

The only thing that irks me a little would be the puzzle's. Specifically, the mechanics seem kind of wonky and a little unresponsive at times, leading to a few cheap deaths. The "escape from some huge freaky shit" themed puzzle is a really interesting idea, i wish they could have expanded on it though. I also kind of wish that there was a bit more exploration, like coming and going to the bar and or meeting your girl(s) at the cafe. The area inside the bar looks really nice.

I have never played a Persona game before, but seeing what this game looks like really makes me want to see what they could pull off with an RPG. The art style is just amazing.

To finish of my impression, a funny thing occurred when i played this game today. Though i did find Heavy Rain somewhat enjoyable, i feel that Catherine executed what Heavy Rain was trying to achieve much better. It actually feels like i am playing a game lol.

EDIT: Oh... Another thing i hate is that the FMV audio volume is a lot louder than the in game volume, i find my self constantly changing the volume when the FMV kicks in. -_-

I tried for 30 mins to get past the first stage on Hard. I was really close, but I never made it. Meanwhile,Easy and Normal mode were a BREEZE after that. I'm sure it'll get way more difficult, but it's striking how much harder Hard mode actually is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
"How does a life of no responsibility sound?"

The fact that more than 75% of people said "No way" is proof that 75% of people playing this game are lying, and not answering honestly. Most answers should be split, as we're all different, but no one LIKES responsibility.

"Gee golly, I love having so much to take care of that I can't live my own life."

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SteveWinwood said:
They're not "good" and "bad". They're order and chaos. The fact that people still call it "good" and "evil" are not giving the moral ambiguity of the story enough credit.

Been playing all day. Made it to the last stage, finally. I can't go on anymore. After about 20 minutes off dying repeatedly, I'm done for the day, probably.

thetrin

Even on easy the game is relentless. it's a little surprising.

thetrin said:
They're not "good" and "bad". They're order and chaos. The fact that people still call it "good" and "evil" are not giving the moral ambiguity of the story enough credit.
Psh. Whatevs. Thats why I put them in quotations and initially called them blue and red. But I'm just trying to gauge what I'm missing out on some of these cutscenes before I play it again.

Shadow780

thetrin said:

The fact that more than 75% of people said "No way" is proof that 75% of people playing this game are lying, and not answering honestly. Most answers should be split, as we're all different, but no one LIKES responsibility.

"Gee golly, I love having so much to take care of that I can't live my own life."

I'm surprised most people
looking forward to marriage as life begins

Kusagari

Shadow780 said:
I'm surprised most people
looking forward to marriage as life begins

Yeah, I called BS on that one the second I saw it. People are definitely lying to get what they think the game wants on some of these.

Maybe people are just being truthful and you guys are misunderstanding the human race! I know plenty of people who think that... None of them are playing this game because they wouldn't even touch something with this sort of cover...... Yeah all the people who answered are dirty liars.

thetrin said:

While it's probably true that a lot of people are going through the game with a certain method and not answering honestly, there's no way that no one likes responsibility. In fact, more often than not, people do like responsibility because it gives them something to live for and a clear purpose. Everyone doesn't want to be a lazy bum their entire life.

TP

I was stuck in a rewind loop because an enemy destroyed a crumbled block and caused a shit ton of blocks to fall

Select
"EDGE!"
Select
"EDGE!"
Select
"EDGE!"
Select
"EDGE!"

It was only funny after I realized I could still reach the finish

TheExodu5

Banned
thetrin said:

Living in your parents basement is a life of no responsibility.

I DO NOT want a life of no responsibility.

Neki

thetrin said:

Some people find fulfillment in responsibility. I don't see why answers have to be split though, what is the reasoning behind that?

So, I'm at the 4th night and I'm really enjoying the game. The puzzles are challenging but satisfying to complete and the adventure portions of the game are really fun.

One question though, is it possible to completely talk to everyone at the bar, every night? I don't want to miss any conversations, but it seems like it might not be possible as the game progresses.

stupei

Kusagari said:
Yeah, I called BS on that one the second I saw it. People are definitely lying to get what they think the game wants on some of these.

I actually assumed it was more that people thought saying
that life ends at marriage
is overly extreme and so went with the other, slightly more optimistic option. Both those choices are pretty big extremes, might be people just went with the one that makes them feel better about their own potential futures.

Or it might be they're lying.

MCXC Pioneer said:
Finally beat 6-1. How many continues do you guys have stocked up? If you run out do you really have to start the game over from the beginning?
I have 45 mystic pillows. If you run out, you just start from your last save.

I have 45 mystic pillows. If you run out, you just start from your last save.
That's a relief. I've got around 45 too but just lost 15-20 trying to beat the last level.

Another thing that has frustrated me with Catherine is the controls. I feel like half my deaths are due to the fact that I have to fight with them.

RDreamer

I do have to mention that I have a great wife. She came home from work to the game on the start screen while I was on the computer. She picked up the case and was like "Oh, it's an anime game?" Then she saw the video that plays on the menu screen and she was like "A sexy anime game?" And she proceeded to read through the art book and game manual and was like "This game seems awesome." And, she was watching some of the scenes and things with me.

See, marriage ain't all bad!

WickedLaharl said:
i'm on 6-3 and have to be in bed in about 3 hours. will i have enough time to beat it tonight?
Hahahahahahahaha

MCXC Pioneer said:
Finally beat 6-1. How many continues do you guys have stocked up? If you run out do you really have to start the game over from the beginning?
I think I've had 43 at one point, but it's gone all the way down to 6 during one of the boss fights. And then it went up again. If you were to actually run out of continues, even though that's probably impossible, but if such a thing were to happen, you could always just start from your most recent save file. There's no reason to start from the beginning unless you want to start from the beginning.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
thetrin said:

I also doubt 'could you show everything in your phone inbox to your lover?' is 2/3rds I don't think so, at least I don't know anyone who'd have that as their truthful answer.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Dear lord.

Playing on easy and just reached 7-3 which is stumping me. Seriously glad I switched difficulties because I find the controls a little gummy and unresponsive at times and as I posted earlier, the reversed controls for when you're on the back of a stage really blow. Nothing less intuitive than being able to keep pressing left and watching Vincent spider endlessly from side to side.

Not sure if going to the back of the stage is required, but I found it to be for at least
7-2 and it's looking like that for 7-3, too
. If so, really really awful considering the confusing controls and inability to actually see what you're doing thanks to the camera.

In general, I find myself a bit torn on the game. Love the atmosphere, love the story, presentation is top notch and the puzzle concept is quite good too. However the constant introduction of new blocks, hazards and required techniques goes beyond even a steep learning curve. I understand, and appreciate, that elements such as the technique swapping and Rapunzel are supposed to help build your skill, but they feel kind of shoehorned in. And by not providing a sensible progression, you lose the "i'm a genius!" moments that you had in a game like Portal.

All that being said.. despite the game's flaws, I find myself drawn towards it for the desire to conquer the puzzles and unveil more of the story, so clearly Atlus did something very very right.

P.S. Really wish the songs were longer and that the church bells rang a little less often. It's all headache inducing when you're trying to figure out the last leg of a stage.

cj_iwakura

Dedication Through Light said:
I wish there was more direction on what to do in the bar and if songs would unlock fast. I want my Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 musics.

Trophies. Persona 3 tracks are namely unlocked by getting Golds on the Normal stages(meaning unlocking Babel stages) and clearing them.

I got Mass Destruction and P3P music by unlocking and clearing the first two Babel stages.

cj_iwakura

Volcynika said:
Hm, I'd ask what but I'm sure someone would highlight the spoiler tag. (cj knows I've played the JP version)

If they highlight it, their loss.

Major character spoilers.

The cast listing says

ERIC Anderson.

Hylian7

Managed to get past 4-1 finally. Now I'm on 4-2 (
The giant baby boss
) I can get pretty far along, but there's one part later on that always stumps me, even with the "create a block" power up.

RDreamer

Knuckleruckamus said:
In general, I find myself a bit torn on the game. Love the atmosphere, love the story, presentation is top notch and the puzzle concept is quite good too. However the constant introduction of new blocks, hazards and required techniques goes beyond even a steep learning curve. I understand, and appreciate, that elements such as the technique swapping and Rapunzel are supposed to help build your skill, but they feel kind of shoehorned in. And by not providing a sensible progression, you lose the "i'm a genius!" moments that you had in a game like Portal.

I'll have to agree with all this. I love the game, and almost everything about it, but I think it really could have used a much better learning curve. I don't expect Portal levels of amazing learning curve, but still, what they have just doesn't work. For one, the technique learning thing doesn't really work that well because you're just watching a video. Translating watching a video to trying to do it on the fly while being rushed from either the level dropping out from under you or a boss is pretty hard. Maybe they should have had you playing those pieces, just to really cement it in your brain. I'm not sure that would have been quite enough, but it'd be a start.

12 glorious hours on easy and the game was incredible. I got an ending in the lawful spectrum, but I don't think it was the
"true lovers"
ending based on some descriptions I've read. I'll have to double check my trophy list.

I love the characters in the game. Jonny should have his own spinoff, where goes around looking haunted but awesome with his baritone voice.

Forgive me if it's already buried in this thread and generally TOO SOON, but is there a list of descriptions of the other endings? Probably too soon for english youtube versions, I'd imagine.

cj_iwakura

meltingparappa said:
12 glorious hours on easy and the game was incredible. I got an ending in the lawful spectrum, but I don't think it was the
"true lovers"
ending based on some descriptions I've read. I'll have to double check my trophy list.

I love the characters in the game. Jonny should have his own spinoff, where goes around looking haunted but awesome with his baritone voice.

Forgive me if it's already buried in this thread and generally TOO SOON, but is there a list of descriptions of the other endings? Probably too soon for english youtube versions, I'd imagine.

I'll list them, spoiler free.

Lover - Bad/Good/True
Affair - Bad/Good/True
Freedom - Bad/True

Also, I didn't like him at first, but the new announcer(title screen,drink info, questioning, etc.) has really grown on me.

Mr.Fresh

I'm officially changing the difficulty to easy next time I play. It's not to hard but it takes me about 3 or 4 tries to finish day three puzzles and I just wanna see the story the first time thru.. I do enjoy the puzzles and them making me think and use strategy instead of randomly pulling blocks.

Just beat it on Easy after 14 hours. My ending:
True Lovers ending with Vincent and Katherine happily married.
Which is exactly the ending I wanted for my first playthrough! And yeah, I actually got that ending after answering truthfully to every question, too! :)

Really loved the game. Loved the story, the characters, the gameplay (on Easy, at least), the adventure game aspects, and unsurprisingly, I loved the dub. Once again, Atlus USA hit it out of the park. Great job, guys! Looking forward to hunting down the other endings and rage quitting Normal and Hard, haha.

Top Bottom