• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Sallokin

Made it through 6-1 tonight. Playing on normal and it hasn't been that bad at all so far. I keep hearing about 6-3 so I'm glad I've got as many continues as I do. Wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow. Looking forward to what ending I get. I've been doing everything as honestly as I can. Trying to react like I would in the situations with the options I'm given.... but damn Catherine... DEM PICS!!

What an amazing breath of fresh air! I am having a blast with Catherine and honestly would put it in my top ten games this gen. I love professor Layton and this game kind of feels like that.

Amazing!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Up to 7-3 right now, it feels GREAT figuring these parts out. Feels more slower paced than the last few levels, and is more about knowing the techniques.

I tried the first Babel level again and have an amazing quality cell phone video of it. I think I need a Catherine pro to tell me what I was able to do near the end, I keep capping out around 95 now, and that's just the first level. ;_;

Torillian

Neo Member
SteveWinwood said:
I'm also wondering about in the cut scenes every once in a while the little blue/red scale pops up and for me its always been the blue angel that pops up. Is this changed by what I've been picking? So on average I've been picking more "good" things than "bad" things so far? So the conversation will play out differently right then if I had made different choices? Or is it just cut scene with the character doing a "good" thing moving it for me through the cut scene?

Seems to be based on the state of the bar and how you answer those final questions. Atleast according to this description I stumbled upon in youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t26pHE93P8

in the description it says:

"The questions will be ask each stage before advancing on stage 9. So you might as well save before getting to stage 9 and get all the endings for red/blue meter, then retry on the other meter state." and then it tells you how to answer the stage 9 questions and what state your meter has to be in to get each ending.

Unfortunately it's for the Japanese version so the questions answers don't really help, but it seems that you can get a good ending as long as you answer the final questions in a way that matches how you played the rest of the game.

cj_iwakura

The second Babel level isn't too bad, just MUCH narrower. If you have a good grasp of operating with limited space, you'll be fine.

Obelisk(#3) is HELL.

Thoraxes

I'm totally stuck on level 7-1 right at the very end. It's the part where
there's that 3x3 grid that goes all the way to the top. I got up once but it was on the wrong side and don't remember how I got there.
Any advice for this part? I'm terrible with small spaces.

Went back and finished off the last stage. Taking breaks to eat makes thinking a little easier, it seems >.>

The ending confirms Erica as my favorite character in the game.

I have no idea what ending I got, but I guess I'll find out when I go through and find the others. Is there a big variation between the endings?

Also, the narrator's voice is the same guy that does Tager from BlazBlue, so I loved him as soon as I heard him.

JEKKI

maaaaaaan I dont understand...

I broke combo many times, I left out a pile of gold here n there,

yet I still got the Gold Statue rank in Stage 3.

o_O

I thought, based on the demo, to get Gold u gotta perfect combo the stage with all gold coin pickups.

is their a rank better than Gold? or is the leniency in scoring a result of the patch???

The sound issue needs to be fixed ASAP.

other than that the game is awesome and the love is over pack was awesome.

Nice to see a pamplet/instruction book/etc. that isn't black and white.

Will post more of what I think tomorrow. Hope I don't have any nightmares tonight. ;)

JEKKI

I dont have nightmares,

but I did have a dream where I got a package and instead of foam packaging materials in the box, it was watermelon.

after I admired the contents of my package (which was an advanced chinese copy of the Zerg part of Starcraft II) I put it all back together,

except I was missing some packaging coz I ate it. =P

I'm at the final boss right now. It's
such bullshit. Fucking gun has ruined my block set-ups too many times...

EDIT: MOTHERFUCKING SON OF A BITCH. REWIND, STOP LETTING ME DOWN, JESUS CHRIST. Rewind, get killed by boss right away. Come on...

I won! But
it wasn't the final one. NOW I'll go into the final one. I'm scared

warpaint

damn amazon.com is not shipping it to be damn thing is saying Sorry was can;t ship to your shipping address is it because i'm in the UK?

iconoclast said:
Does using an item disqualify you from getting the gold prize? I just got a perfect on 6-1 and only got a silver, but I used an item I think (and I missed a couple coins).

You can use items you find on the stages no problem, just don't buy any during intermissions.

dragonlife said:
I'm at the final boss right now. It's
such bullshit. Fucking gun has ruined my block set-ups too many times...

EDIT: MOTHERFUCKING SON OF A BITCH. REWIND, STOP LETTING ME DOWN, JESUS CHRIST. Rewind, get killed by boss right away. Come on...

You can try
baiting him to shoot an empty spot.

Havok

Just got to day 6.

Boy, this game sure is lucky that I like the story, 'cause I sure wouldn't put up with all the bullshit it's throwing my way in the puzzle sections otherwise.

soultron

Banned
Havok said:
Just got to day 6.

Boy, this game sure is lucky that I like the story, 'cause I sure wouldn't put up with all the bullshit it's throwing my way in the puzzle sections otherwise.
This is what has me on the fence. I was intrigued by the story when I played the demo, and while the puzzle sections play great, I didn't want to be rushed through them.

It's sad to say, but I think I'd rather just watch someone play this on YT. I really want to experience the story, but the gameplay just wasn't for me. It's really well-designed, but again, the added tension of rushing through puzzles just rubbed me the wrong way.

Havok

soultron said:
This is what has me on the fence. I was intrigued by the story when I played the demo, and while the puzzle sections play great, I didn't want to be rushed through them.

It's sad to say, but I think I'd rather just watch someone play this on YT. I really want to experience the story, but the gameplay just wasn't for me. It's really well-designed, but again, the added tension of rushing through puzzles just rubbed me the wrong way.
I still think its worth playing for the story (and how you influence it as you go along), and all in all the puzzle sequences, while far more of the game than I'd like, aren't bad outside of the boss stuff. That's when you have to rush, which I agree with you on - I had just finished one of those sections when I made my previous post and I was stuck at a checkpoint where I'd have time to move one square in either direction before an anvil dropped on me. It was totally just bad luck, but it was super frustrating. Its just unfortunate that the difficulty setting says that Easy is for those who only want to enjoy the story, but it insists on making you wade through the less enjoyable part of the game. I'd rather it be a Digital: A Love Story-esque experience that is only loosely a "game" in the traditional sense on that setting.

JEKKI said:
maaaaaaan I dont understand...

I broke combo many times, I left out a pile of gold here n there,

yet I still got the Gold Statue rank in Stage 3.

o_O

I thought, based on the demo, to get Gold u gotta perfect combo the stage with all gold coin pickups.

is their a rank better than Gold? or is the leniency in scoring a result of the patch???
Has there ever been a rank higher than gold in this? I don't recall getting anything higher in the demos.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Loving the game, but at the same time, I was cheated on in a long term relationship a couple years back, so while I love the story, it makes me feel really awkward at the same time if that makes sense.

Anyways... 3-3 was my first "wall". Fuck that shit. I breezed through all of 4 though. That wasnt even a challenge.

Just beat the game :D The ending I got was
true Lover ending
. I won't attempt the other endings right away so as to not burn myself out, though.

As for the final battle...
it was so easy :p Was super fun, though

soultron said:
the added tension of rushing through puzzles just rubbed me the wrong way.
That's very unfortunate. I can honestly say this game has been one of the most enjoyable experiences in my gaming career. I guess I may be a bit biased since I love stuff like Pokemon Puzzle League/Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon on the highest difficulty against bots--and, obviously, they're not entirely the same thing--but that tension you mentioned hooked me like you wouldn't believe. And, honestly, I didn't get mad with the game until the penultimate level, but that's because I had been playing for hours and eager to beat it :p Other than that, I had tons of fun figuring out every single puzzle. Some were so damn creative that I was amazed I even figured them out. This game is just...damn, so good.

The great thing about the "pressure" to do these quickly is that once you understand a certain section, you can breeze right through it to tackle the next. The pressure honestly isn't as bad as you may think. Dying is quick, as is the Game Over screen. You can resume in less than 3 seconds after dying. Also, you get an insane amount of Continues, so you never really have to worry about using them all up later in the game (at the end of the game [Normal] I had around 85 retries).

I think you should give this game a shot for yourself. Buy it! There's always guides, too, I suppose, if you get really stuck. And us! I didn't use a guide, though.

The bosses were pretty damn awesome and tense. Loved them! I always let each kill me to see the animation. So good <3

Oh, and some of the tracks in the game were HNNNG awesome.

Oro

Man, just completed this game (Easy) and it was a blast. Can't say I've played a game like this before. Music, gameplay, story...it's all there for me.

Katherine!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm just about to get to the final level of the game, stopping for the night here. Really loving this all overall, and it really isn't as insanely hard as I expected from all the talk, though it's obviously patched and I really can't imagine going through this the first time without having the undo button--Lives are especially given like candy, I have ~80 right now. Stage 7 literally gives you a pillow directly in your path on every checkpoint, and each one actually gives you two lives.

You learn patterns to get up to where you were previously at quickly and have more time to think about it each time, and it always feels satisfying to reach the goal post with the way the game's designed. I will say 6-3 was still a pretty insane difficulty leap, though, and 7 felt a lot slower paced and more technique based, which I liked a lot.

Cheska

5-3 was such a bitch for me, I just kept getting killed before I could get to the next part of the level.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that there were some spoilers in the manual, but Im not really seeing anything big. Anyone mind spoiler tagging what this revelation of the manual is?

Alex

As far as these Japanese adventure games go, this is by far the best I've played, I've always enjoyed a few Western PC ones, but things like Layton and Wright don't do much for me.

I've got to give it to Atlus the puzzle sections are remarkably better than I thought they'd be, really good stuff. Can be frustrating, but in a good way. Well, I think I'm a bit past halfway through it so lets see if I'm still singing that tune later on.

I can't even imagine what hard must be like though, good lord.

lljride

I got through 3-3 last night and the gameplay still hasn't clicked for me yet. I had to play 3-3 about 15 times before I could get past it, and even now I couldn't tell you how I did it. That's the discouraging part, I don't feel like I'm getting better with the puzzles, still just randomly throwing blocks around until something works.

Hopefully it'll all come together in the next few levels, because I LOVE everything else about the game.

Volcynika

cj_iwakura said:
If they highlight it, their loss.

Major character spoilers.

The cast listing says

ERIC Anderson.

Oh, I thought it was something completely different when I looked at it earlier.

Don't highlight this, just for your safety

I thought it mentioning Astaroth in there would kinda hit people unexpectedly.

Moofers

What's the point of getting Gold/Silver/Bronze for each stage? You don't seem to get anything for it other than a picture of a trophy on your cellphone. Am I missing something? Is there like some panty shot of the girls if you get gold or something?

Volcynika

Moofers said:
What's the point of getting Gold/Silver/Bronze for each stage? You don't seem to get anything for it other than a picture of a trophy on your cellphone. Am I missing something? Is there like some panty shot of the girls if you get gold or something?

More golds = unlock more stages in Babel. Also I think some trophies/achievements are related to it.

Quick heads up to anyone in Europe trying to track down a copy of the Love is Over edition, PlanetAxel just got a very small number in stock (most likely cancelled pre-orders).

Well I blasted through Stage 4 last night, surprisingly. All this talk about Stage 6 has me a bit anxious and worried. I have no idea how Im getting through some of theses stages. I feel like I kinda go into a "Zen-mode" when going through them. If I manage to finish this game it'll definitley be one of the harder titles Ive played since Demon's Souls. I'm finding the satisfaction you get when beating a boss in this game is extremely similar also...for me at least.

Question: How do I get the trophy "You Dont Have To Go Home.."? Ive been staying at the bar every night so far until everyone leaves, but Catherine always shows up and I have no choice but to leave after Ive talked to everyone about everything. Is this a trophy thats available after a certain stage?

Utako

Banned
Got it yesterday, and beat level 2.

The game isn't as zany or sexy as I thought it would be, and I'm a bit disappointed in that. No real WTF; no nudity.

However, it has the most accurate txting sim I've ever seen, so props there.

mattp

i've seen a bunch of people complaining that there is no nudity in this game..
my only real reaction to it is:

neogaf

Doomrider

Azure Phoenix said:
Quick heads up to anyone in Europe trying to track down a copy of the Love is Over edition, PlanetAxel just got a very small number in stock (most likely cancelled pre-orders).

And they actually shipped mine =O That's pretty surprising.

Can't wait to get my hands on it... Next week =(

Moofers

mattp said:
i've seen a bunch of people complaining that there is no nudity in this game..
my only real reaction to it is:

neogaf

I've hardly seen it mentioned. I listed that as a small gripe on my part though and I stand by that. You want to make a game where a guy (Day 3 spoiler)
fucks a chick in the ass
and then has a nightmare about being chased up a tower by
a giant assmonster
, but you can't show any tits or ass? Ridiculous.

Again, it just serves to remind you that "games are for kids" and its waaay taboo to show any of that, despite that its perfectly natural and accepted to show somebody getting chainsawed in half. Its not that we're looking to jerk off (there's internet for that), we're just looking for our medium to get treated with a little respect, but we're never going to get it if we don't just step up and give it to ourselves first.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Amazon sure took their time shipping my Deluxe Edition. Should get here on monday. Super excited! On a completely superficial note, how hard are the achievements in the game?

cj_iwakura

GuardianE said:
Amazon sure took their time shipping my Deluxe Edition. Should get here on monday. Super excited! On a completely superficial note, how hard are the achievements in the game?

Real hard. Rapunzel and Babel and all Golds on Hard are the toughest.

Also, since someone wanted help on 3x3 sections:

Pull two out from the bottom, either side.

XXX
XXX
OOX

Then pull one out from the left.

XXX
OXX
OOX

Move that one two spots over.

XXX
-XO
OOX

Then pull out one in the middle, second row.

XXX
-OO
OOO

Repeat.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
cj_iwakura said:
Real hard. Rapunzel and Babel and all Golds on Hard are the toughest.

Hmm, is it a hard completion or can you get a good number just by running through the game? I'm not sure if I'd try to 1000 it out. At least not initially.

cj_iwakura

GuardianE said:
Hmm, is it a hard completion or can you get a good number just by running through the game? I'm not sure if I'd try to 1000 it out. At least not initially.

Around 30-40% are easily gotten. The biggest chunk of them relate to
saving the NPCs and getting all eight endings.

There's also eight relating to Babel; four for unlocking, four for clearing it.

cj_iwakura said:

Eight endings, huh? Wow. What's the quickest way to get them all? I know they can't be expecting someone to play through the game 8 times.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
cj_iwakura said:

Alright. That makes sense to me. That's usually a good ratio of easy/hard achievements. Thanks!

cj_iwakura

Master Milk said:
Eight endings, huh? Wow. What's the quickest way to get them all? I know they can't be expecting someone to play through the game 8 times.

You can easily get all the endings in three runs of the game. The final decisions determine which of the alignment specific endings you get. So do a Law path, save at the end, and do the final stage three different ways, and repeat for Neutral and Chaos.

Volcynika

Master Milk said:

I think at minimum you have to run through the game 3 times.

holy FUCK the puzzles can be frustrating!!!!!!!!!!! :/

I still pushed through... but damn... now I understand what a lot of these reviewers were hammering this game over.

Do you keep all the music you unlocked in one file when you start a New Game? If not, how do you unlock more songs in this game? Wanted all the P3 and P4 tracks but I only had a few by the time I went to beat it on Easy. Is it tied to your Bronze, Silver, and Gold awards?
cj_iwakura said:
You can easily get all the endings in three runs of the game. The final decisions determine which of the alignment specific endings you get. So do a Law path, save at the end, and do the final stage three different ways, and repeat for Neutral and Chaos.
Just curious, but how do you do the final stage three different ways?

I take it it's all about how you respond to Astaroth's final questions?

Top Bottom