• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Vally

Finally my copy arrived a couple of days ago and I'm loving the variety of the puzzles, very well designed and I don't find them repetitive at all.

Right now I'm stuck at the infamous stage 6-3, I don't even know what to do, can't get past the first 10 or 15 steps. Guess I'll try again tomorrow, although I'm tempted to look at a guide. The only other stage that I found frustrating was the 4th nightmare boss, other than that the puzzles are just the right amount of challenge.

This probably has been answered before, but is there any disadvantage to drinking too much at the Stray Sheep? Sometimes people at the bar say things to me like 'don't drink too much' and such, so I don't know if the conversations change when you're wasted or it's just a coincidence. I almost like to get drunk more for the trivia about the drinks than for being faster in the nightmares.

dragonlife said:
The first time I saw that I thought, "I hope someone replicates it and posts it on the Internet."
Found this on some tumblr:
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9172/tumblrloqf0ec8ye1qlir7i.jpg

Vally said:
This probably has been answered before, but is there any disadvantage to drinking too much at the Stray Sheep? Sometimes people at the bar say things to me like 'don't drink too much' and such, so I don't know if the conversations change when you're wasted or it's just a coincidence. I almost like to get drunk more for the trivia about the drinks than for being faster in the nightmares.

Found this on some tumblr:
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9172/tumblrloqf0ec8ye1qlir7i.jpg
There's no negative side effect at all. That was my assumption my first time through, so I never really drank.

You can get all four drinks' trivia in one sitting.

And thanks for the link!

Mdk7

Psi said:
That's the Normal Lover/Katherine ending.
Same as i got, i just beat the game...
What an AMAZING ride, really!
I'm frankly not 100% satisfied with the story (but i do wanna see some other endings before whining), but overall i had a blast with this game.
Soooooooo good!

Grisby

dragonlife said:
There's no negative side effect at all. That was my assumption my first time through, so I never really drank.

You can get all four drinks' trivia in one sitting.

And thanks for the link!

I hardly drank anything either except toward the end. Now on my 2nd go through Vincents liver will be the end of him, not these crazy sheep dreams.

I just beat the game. I got the ending where
Katherine and Vincent were talking in the bar and he asks her to marry him, then a few months later it is back at the bar after their wedding and it ends as they say "look who it is".

PhoenixSFT said:
I love how they have a boss called
Chainsaw Baby
! I nearly fell off my couch laughing when the announcer yelled the name.

gotta admit, that was one of the game's high points for me, too :) ...

aett

Big Papa Husker said:
I just beat the game. I got the ending where
Katherine and Vincent were talking in the bar and he asks her to marry him, then a few months later it is back at the bar after their wedding and it ends as they say "look who it is".

Did you turn off the game before the credits finished? There's more to see.

Taoofberg

Vally said:
Right now I'm stuck at the infamous stage 6-3

My first time in this thread, and this is the first post I saw. Made me smile, because I came in here just to whine that I am stuck here, too. Glad it is not just me. Finally made it about 20 blocks up, but then...called it quits, again.

Urgh.

CatPee

Taoofberg said:
My first time in this thread, and this is the first post I saw. Made me smile, because I came in here just to whine that I am stuck here, too. Glad it is not just me. Finally made it about 20 blocks up, but then...called it quits, again.

Urgh.

Ditch the Pyramid and use the Tornado.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Finally finished the game on easy with all gold trophies. A few thoughts:

I agree with the reviewers who feel that the game's story shoehorns you into a particular path and that you become more of a puppet whose strings are being pulled more than an active participant in the story. It's a real problem with false agency, because you're stuck on a path that you would rather not be in depending on how you are playing the game. The flip side is that you're also more free to answer honestly, because there's not really any need to maximize your "paragon and renegade" points BioWare style.

The voice acting is very inconsistent at times. Katherine and Trisha in particular. And there's also the localization, which keeps some random elements of Japanese culture for no real reason. Of course, I'm still bitter that they didn't license the Japanese voices I suppose. :lol:

It was interesting that, based on the survey data,
most people seem to have went for the Katherine ending first.
Whether that was by design or most people just swung that way, I have no idea. It's also a very interesting feature that BioWare should have stolen ages ago, especially since they're collecting all that data anyway. Go figure that Japanese devs would get "social" single player games before Western devs.

I was also prepared to hate the achievements/trophies for being the type that can screw you over if you are not playing with a guide, but then I found out about the
new game plus feature
you get when you beat the game with gold scores. It makes exploring the story that much easier anyway, which is always a good thing and maybe a feature that other games could implement for people who just want to see the story without even going through a game on easy settings.

Overall, I'm happy with the game. I think the writing/story could have been stronger, and the puzzles could get frustrating at times (especially if you are going for gold... funny enough, I would rather the game be more like Rapunzel without any time pressure), but I'm generally happy with the game. If they're going to use the story engine for Persona 5... then bring it on!

Just finished it, got the
true katherine
ending.

Thought is was good, I love the music and art direction.

Persona 5 now please.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Went ahead and picked this up today but I'm trying to grind through the end of Persona 3 first before I start this (and Persona 4).

Replayed the demo a few times and realized I was having fun with the puzzles even though the demo is easy. Looking forward to Normal mode.

CatPee

Xamdou said:
So what is the trick to deal with the Spike Cubes? Most annoying shit ever.

The game tells you to not stop moving when you walk over them...

If it's at an edge, just quickly run over it and then back or keep pushing on the D-pad and hang from the ledge.

After failing horribly at Menhir for 5 hours straight, I've decided to start going for gold on all levels on Hard. Just finished up stage 2. I was really surprised to see I got gold at the end of the boss level considering I got silver in the first two. I just completely destroyed that boss level, first try, perfect run, all the coins.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Saw something interesting in Wiki:

Astaroth was derived from Astarte, who is the equivalent of Ishtar.

Basically: Astaroth -> Ishtar -> Trisha

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
StunandStab said:
After failing horribly at Menhir for 5 hours straight, I've decided to start going for gold on all levels on Hard. Just finished up stage 2. I was really surprised to see I got gold at the end of the boss level considering I got silver in the first two. I just completely destroyed that boss level, first try, perfect run, all the coins.

I got gold on the first two level then silver on the boss, and I did fine aside from a chain break near the end. ;_;

Papercuts said:
I got gold on the first two level then silver on the boss, and I did fine aside from a chain break near the end. ;_;

I actually had a similar thing happened to me when I was doing this earlier just to see how hard it was. I got gold on the first two levels, after many retries, and then when I finished the boss level I got... bronze... for some weird reason. I did fine on the boss, too, I think. Maybe my chain broke at some point but it wasn't a terrible run by any means. It's crazy. The boss levels must really be the most important part when it comes to getting a gold for the whole stage.

EDIT: Anyway, the babel stages are really something else. Altar was incredibly difficult, and Menhir... well, with Menhir I don't think I know what I'm doing most of the time. Somehow I got to 120ish steps in that one before dying, but most of the time I die within the first 30-40 steps -_-

Beat it yesterday, Fun, amazing and challenging, i sucked hard on the last 2 bosses, think i died over 90 times on the first battle w/
Mutton

Hey I beat 4-2 this morning after dieing once. I'm patting myself on the back. I guess my brain in it's caffeine deprived sate gave me some puzzle clairvoyance

I think I know how they could turn Catherine into an anime.

edit: Spoiler-tagging whole post, just in case.

Since they're thinking about turning Catherine into a franchise, that might be difficult to do considering the fact this game has
eight
endings. So it's more than likely a sequel would have an entirely different cast.

Therefore, I think if they did an anime, they could continue the adventures of Vincent with 3 seasons. The first season would depict Vincent's life post-game if he had the
true freedom
ending, then it would loop back to its starting point for season 2 where we see where it would be with Katherine, then for season 3 where it'd be with Catherine for
some comic relief (as seen in true catherine's ending)

That might work. It would only be like 20ish eps total. What do you think?

Forgive the double post, but for those wondering where this game takes place?

We FINALLY Have an answer!

Tokyo.

From the amazon page itself
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YVC1F8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The image of the corpse has the subtitle:
"Mysterious deaths around Tokyo...who's next?"

So yes, this game takes place in Tokyo, Japan.

Urban Scholar said:
Pretty sure is a fictional depiction of an American town/city.

No. There is no evidence supporting this anyway, link me to an interview or something. I just posted official advertising saying it takes place in Tokyo, that's OFFICIAL. That's confirmation it's in Tokyo, which, last I checked, is nowhere near America.

Erigu

Nora Kisaragi said:
Forgive the double post, but for those wondering where this game takes place?
We FINALLY Have an answer!
We already had all kinds of answers. Just not 100% reliable ones. And I wouldn't turn to Amazon for that (then again, maybe you were joking, it's hard to tell).

EDIT:
Nora Kisaragi said:
I just posted official advertising saying it takes place in Tokyo, that's OFFICIAL. That's confirmation it's in Tokyo, which, last I checked, is nowhere near America.
Okay, so you were serious...

Dude.
No.
Just no.
There's nothing "official" about what you just read on freaking Amazon, sorry.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, does anyone know of a walkthrough guide to get the
True Freedom
ending? I swear my karma meter is dead centre but it still doesn't go through. :(

Edit: never mind, finally got it... spend maybe 3 hours trying to nail this thing down... yikes.

Nora Kisaragi said:
So yes, this game takes place in Tokyo, Japan.

Didn't Atlus themselves say this game takes place in fictional America? It was one of their major excuses for not having dual audio. Doesn't that make it more "official"?

Maybe the American version "officially" takes place in America, and the Japanese version takes place in Japan. :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally got some decent playing time into this the last few nights. Currently at 7-4. Was stuck for a little bit in 6-3, but once I figured out how to get past the beginning and then the bit towards the end, it didn't really take too long at all to figure out. I can see why people had trouble with it though.

Nix

Banned
So, I finally got my copy (Amazon?) in the mail today, and am waiting till I can actually play it, but I just had to say: Artbook was pretty dissapointing. I didn't want Ys Seven level fantastic, but come on, that's barely what you could consider an artbook.

It was free though, so I won't say anything else. Also, listening to the tracks now, and I'm really feeling some of them, although others are kind of...not exactly my thing? Looking forward to starting this baby up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Anyone platinumed Catherine yet?

Don

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but have Atlus commented on the audio issues or mentioned any plans for a patch yet?

I'm waiting for the PAL release but I'm a bit worried that if Atlus don't acknowledge the issue then it could still be present when it releases over here.

I finished the game last night with what I would consider the best possible ending. Anyway, I loved every bit of it. The characters and dialogue initially hooked me, but the puzzles became increasingly addicting as it progressed. There's still gold prizes to get and Rapunzel to beat, so I'll be playing for a while longer I imagine.

Don said:
Sorry to keep bringing this up, but have Atlus commented on the audio issues or mentioned any plans for a patch yet?
I'm waiting for the PAL release but I'm a bit worried that if Atlus don't acknowledge the issue then it could still be present when it releases over here.
The volume difference isn't that bad at all. Maybe loud enough to reach for the remote if you're playing late at night but nothing ear-piercing.

Don

meltingparappa said:
The volume difference isn't that bad at all. Maybe loud enough to reach for the remote if you're playing late at night but nothing ear-piercing.
I still found it kind of annoying when trying out the demo, and I think it was more that the ingame audio was too low. I remember a few times in the demo when subtitles would appear but I could barely hear the characters actually speaking the lines.

Maybe it doesn't bother everyone, but it would still be nice to get a fix.

Urban Scholar said:
Pretty sure is a fictional depiction of an American town/city.

The only place I could think of was Seattle because of "Girugamesh!," but how many Japanese styled apartments like Vincent are available in Seattle?

Wow once The Boss
takes off his glasses
the story really turns to shit.
It may have worked as a parody of the occasionally ridiculous excessiveness of anime itself but as something that isn't a parody and is something we're supposed to accept, it was terrible.
A huge shame :(

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Wow once The Boss
takes off his glasses
the story really turns to shit.
It may have worked as a parody of the occasionally ridiculous excessiveness of anime itself but as something that isn't a parody and is something we're supposed to accept, it was terrible.
A huge shame :(

Haha, I loved all of the ensuing weirdness. I never would have
pegged Boss as a villain
, and since I didn't have any expectations as to where to the story should go at that point, I just rolled with it.
It was an amusing twist.

Top Bottom