• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

anddo0 said:
Just to be clear, there aren't any trophies or special endings tied to "difficulty" levels right?

Playing on normal is slowly sucking the fun out of the game for me. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything by going down in difficulty.

I'm not sure about trophies, but the story and endings is not effected by difficulty.

cj_iwakura

anddo0 said:
Just to be clear, there aren't any trophies or special endings tied to "difficulty" levels right?

Playing on normal is slowly sucking the fun out of the game for me. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything by going down in difficulty.

You need Golds on the Normal or Hard stages to unlock Babel, which itself is linked to eight trophies. (Four for unlocking each stage, four for clearing them.)

Beyond that, not really. Practice does help, though. Imagine the pain I went through when only five of us were playing it. :p

Grisby

anddo0 said:

No but in order to unlock the Babel extra stages you need to gold levels on Normal or higher. Your in the clear if you just want endings.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
anddo0 said:

I believe there's only one achievement/trophy, the one where you get all golds on hard I think?

Erigu

cj_iwakura said:
Nich Maragos confirmed it himself as well. An 'unnamed city'(that I thought was Chicago at some point, but that's another story).
"Unnamed city" doesn't say anything about the game taking place in the States. ;þ
And then, there's the Freedom True ending...

Zafir

anddo0 said:
Looks like I'm screwed either way. I'm on the 6-3 landing and the option to change difficulty is grayed out.
You can only change difficulty when you're in the bar. I'm also stuck on 6-3, near the beginning too. >.<

BigJiantRobut said:
Not really. I've been to bars that serve sake. Maybe not dive pizza joints like Stray Sheep, but it happens. And really, the kneeling thing isn't a huge obvious mistake though. It's just a cultural anachronism.
I don't know what kind of bars you're going to but I've never been to a place that has offered to serve me sake outside of a Japanese steak house. And the kneeling this is a huge obvious mistake, who the hell kneels at a table in the US? Vincent's apartment is a dead giveaway too.

It's not a big deal though.

cj_iwakura

Zafir said:
You can only change difficulty when you're in the bar. I'm also stuck on 6-3, near the beginning too. >.<

Normal?

01) Go right 2 steps.
02) Push the 3 row block to the right of you once.
03) Drop down once on right.
04) Pull out block from background.
05) Move back to the top of that block you pulled.
06) Pull the right block toward left twice, go around it and push it
once more.

That'll get you started.

MCXC Pioneer said:
I don't know what kind of bars you're going to but I've never been to a place that has offered to serve me sake outside of a Japanese steak house. And the kneeling this is a huge obvious mistake, who the hell kneels at a table in the US? Vincent's apartment is a dead giveaway too.

It's not a big deal though.

Yeah, I'm just positive everything like that is just anachronistic. I mean, every character has a European name, and Vincent even says over the phone that
Catherine/Katherine are white

Although if the True Freedom ending's setting is canon,
it could be space-america
!

Zafir

cj_iwakura said:
Normal?

01) Go right 2 steps.
02) Push the 3 row block to the right of you once.
03) Drop down once on right.
04) Pull out block from background.
05) Move back to the top of that block you pulled.
06) Pull the right block toward left twice, go around it and push it
once more.

That'll get you started.
I'd already got past that part, though it did help with the block placement later on, so thanks. Beat 6-3 finally.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
zlatko said:
Made it up to 7-2 on hard in one sitting for tonight. Haven't tried 7-2 yet, but I'll continue on tomorrow in my next play session where I hope to wrap up the game.

I don't find the game too difficult once you learn the mechanics, but I do find certain things just stupid as shit. There are blatant levels that instead of testing your wit... just have 100% random factors. These are usually on boss levels, after the check point when they go nuts on hard. You'll be trying to have successful patterns, repeat the same thing after you die, then you die before you even reach that spot, because of something like the boss pulling a block you needed to keep going up, even though last time it never fucked with that block. Shit like this pisses me off in ANY kind of game... do not have random factors like this that lead to player death.

As I mentioned the pillow system in the story is horrible on hard since you'll generally be on 2ish pillows at anytime. You have 2 attempts to make it to the check point from memory, pray random factor doesn't kick in, then you roll the dice to complete the second half of the level. Fail your # of pillows and you are forced to drudge through too many loading screens, and unskippable cut scenes, and it also ruins the questions in the confessional as well as pulling you out of the game experience. It should have been infinite pillows no matter what... or at least if you run out of pillows let me restart from the beggining of the level with the # of pillows I came in with.

As for the story, characters, etc I'm not jiving with it at all. Things like some of the confessional questions are stupid("Are all men stupid?" GEE WHAT A GOOD QUESTION), and a lot of the game is wishy washy about you are trying to be in the game. I'm being honest in my answers as Vincent, and even though you are steering him to good...he just lies anyway and is a douche. It makes my choices as the story is going on have no barring or impact, and if it's all just for a payout at the end, it makes the story as you play even more "meh," compared to previous Atlus game offerings.

There's a lot to just scrutinize this game over, and there isn't much here that makes this game worth its $60.00 price tag....Glad I rented it, even though Persona 4 is still my favorite game of all time. Jeff Gerstman's review which I just read a few minutes ago probably sums up my feelings about the game as well:

http://www.giantbomb.com/catherine/61-32367/reviews/

I hope Persona 5 is next. :/

I figured this would be the case. I know others here have said otherwise but I just can't shake the feeling that this game wouldn't be worth the full price. I'm still on the fence about it...

N4Us

Just beat it today. The rest of the game is a huge breather compared to how crazy stages 5 and 6 got. I don't think I even died at all in the finale.

Also that's pretty lol about
Erica
, I guess that explains
Toby's weird questions later on

Korigama

Tomat said:
I figured this would be the case. I know others here have said otherwise but I just can't shake the feeling that this game wouldn't be worth the full price. I'm still on the fence about it...

Regardless of what you decide, I would advise against playing it on Hard your first time through once you get around to playing it (given the challenge already present on Normal and even Easy, diving right into Hard would make resenting it that much more likely).

Tomat said:
Mileage varies, of course, but I think a majority would agree that the game is worth its cost. It has a lot of content. Of course, if you dislike puzzle games, then the cost is probably unjustifiable.

totowhoa

Banned
Stage 4-1 is owning me. The last time I got stuck (end of the llevel right before the 3rd stage boss..) I just put the game down and came later and beat it with only one death. Hopefully doing some cleaning and putting some music on for an hour or two will chill me out and I'll be able to come back and beat it.

It's so much harder than it looks. I've got a decent grasp on the falling block mechanic. I think I just need to waste a life looking and thinking about what makes sense before I start pushing things around. I get so close, but I'm always one or two spaces from the top with nowhere to go.

Also, cheap death on this level by getting cornered by a sheep with nothing to do but die. Kind of annoying, and I hear it gets worse. Oh well.

LOVING the game so far. The last story segment was absolutely awesome.

Tomat said:

I love it, but if I knew nothing about somebody's taste, I'd suggest a rental. Fantastic game so far, but not for everybody. It has shortcomings, but it when it excels, it does so with flying colors. Really outweighs my few issues with the game. I'm only halfway through it, so my opinion could change, but I'm also a sucker for replaying these sorts of games and going for gold. If you're not that type of gamer, I might wait for it to hit its first sale just to be safe.

ProudClod said:
This is definitely the exception, not the norm. You have to keep in mind that the next Atlus game releasing stateside is a heavy-handed 100 hour behemoth by the name of Innocent Sin. Atlus' bread and butter is the jRPG. Now, that doesn't mean you have to force these games down your throat, simply because Atlus developed them. This is one of those times we can very safely say: "These games were not for you." These games have a very strong following, and rightfully so, in my humble opinion. I enjoyed Nocturne, DS2, P3 and P4 for much of the same reasons I'm enoying Catherine. Challenging and incredibly satisfying gameplay, unique and engrossing stories and amazing soundtracks. I'm sure Atlus will release more funky games like Catherine in the future, but I sincerely doubt that they'll ever step away from the jRPG, especially how well Shin Megami Tensei/Megami Ibunroku sell.

Yeah, well JRPG's certainly used to be for me, and still are whenever they pace themselves better. I don't remember JRPG's becoming equated with horrendously paced 100 hour behemoths back in the 16 bit era with the likes of FFIV and VI. It was once we rolled into the 32bit CD era that the creators started to double or triple games lengths in a frenzy over the newfound storage space freedom.

Wouldn't hurt to cut down the bloat a little, especially if nothing but badly paced padding will be lost in the process.

Yuterald

4-2 on Hard is so annoying. The boss is what keeps killing me. I can't get away from it fast enough. Everything moves too fast on Hard! I do have Golds up to 4-1 on Hard right now though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I finally popped in the OST cd, and it's cool, but I'm really disappointed that it doesn't include the music from the Stray Sheep. :( I take it there is no complete soundtrack for sale?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, finished it. Got the
Normal Cheater
ending. Which totally wasn't the ending I was going for. I'm actually a bit pissed about that. I don't think my answers led towards that conclusion at all.

I'm actually a bit conflicted. I'm not really even sure if I want to get the rest of the endings. Can you skip the puzzles once you've cleared the game once? I've noticed that greyed-out "skip" option in the pause menu...And even if you can skip them...eh, I don't know.

cj_iwakura

Snuggler said:
I finally popped in the OST cd, and it's cool, but I'm really disappointed that it doesn't include the music from the Stray Sheep. :( I take it there is no complete soundtrack for sale?

Of course there is.

cj_iwakura

Also, 6-3 is totally different on Hard. I expected patterns from hell. It's just a lot of hollow-cross formations, while the floor falls at like six times the normal rate. Super fast, like a floor every 10 seconds.

Duffyside

Banned
So how many endings are there? I thought it was three but then I saw a table of that wiki where it seemed like there were a dozen.

Got what I assume is one of the Katherine endings. Final stage wasn't really that hard. It was just a ton of spectacle and intensity, which is honestly perfectly fine with me.

Anyway, this was an incredible game. I am absolutely shocked that a puzzle game is my current GOTY and will probably remain in the top 3. The Persona team really knows how to make certain games appeal outside of their normal genre demographic. I can totally see how it isn't for everyone, but still an incredibly well crafted experience that I wouldn't trade even for Persona 5. Of course they better be making that now.

So is there a "true" ending? No way am I done with this, especially when I still know next to nothing about
Astaroth

Just finished Catherine this afternoon. I sided with Katherine, got the best ending with her. I'm a bit confused on how to get all the different endings, but I'll figure it out I guess.

I absolutely loved the entire experience, and started a new game to go full Chaos this time and side with the lovely Catherine.

What can I say.. hats off to Atlus. The game met and exceeded all my expectations. They've gained my interest for whichever project they decide to ship next.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Sklorenz said:
I love it, but if I knew nothing about somebody's taste, I'd suggest a rental. Fantastic game so far, but not for everybody. It has shortcomings, but it when it excels, it does so with flying colors. Really outweighs my few issues with the game. I'm only halfway through it, so my opinion could change, but I'm also a sucker for replaying these sorts of games and going for gold. If you're not that type of gamer, I might wait for it to hit its first sale just to be safe.

The main thing Im worried about is getting bored of the puzzles, they seem pretty repetitive.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tomat said:
The main thing Im worried about is getting bored of the puzzles, they seem pretty repetitive.

If you like the core idea there's more than enough here. They add a lot of variety and even have "setpieces" per say.

totowhoa

Banned
Tomat said:

So far, they've each revolved around a core theme, and I'm on stage 4. While a lot of techniques are used throughout every puzzle.. the stages seem to focus on new things. Stage 3 focused on
trap blocks
. Stage 4 focuses on
making blocks fall into place from above.
(Just gameplay spoilers for both). I haven't felt repetition at all yet, but I still have a few more multi-level stages to go. The core mechanic remains unchanged though, of course. And the boss levels at the end of each stage shake things up as well.

ixix said:
You're probably going to be using the d-pad a lot during the puzzles, if that makes a difference. Beyond a certain point I used it pretty much exclusively.

It's been a long time since I had a Dpad indented on my thumb.

So.... I just got to
Night 9. Holy shit at the big reveal the day before.
I have to work in the morning, but I want to get through this night! ;O

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I just beat the game and I have no idea what ending I got.
I got a happily ever after ending with Katherine asking Vincent who he wants to invite to the wedding while sitting on his junk.

JEKKI

whoo~!! beat stage 5!!!

it doesnt seem so tough when u mysteriously get it right,

on the other hand, I haz bronze rank :(

Psi

pelicansurf said:
I just beat the game and I have no idea what ending I got.
I got a happily ever after ending with Katherine asking Vincent who he wants to invite to the wedding while sitting on his junk.

That's the Normal Lover/Katherine ending.

Hero

So I downloaded the demo and enjoyed it but does the puzzle thing ever evolve or have other mechanics? I'm not sure if I could take 20-30 hours of just variations of a block tower.

CatPee

Hero said:
So I downloaded the demo and enjoyed it but does the puzzle thing ever evolve or have other mechanics? I'm not sure if I could take 20-30 hours of just variations of a block tower.

There's far more variations in the layouts of later levels that'll leave you pretty much clueless, as well as lots of different types of blocks that'll make you change up your typical tactics.

Hero said:

This game wouldn't be one of the hardest ones this generation if there wasn't any variety. New types of blocks get introduced that only exist to make you really angry.

Top Bottom