• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

sonicmj1

CatPee said:
You need to keep combo going all while going through the level fast without using Undos and collect a majority, if not all of the coin piles.

Undos make no difference in your score, and can actually help you keep combos going.

Now that I've beaten the game, I'm trying to get through Babel, and it is hard. I beat Altar, but Obelisk is kicking my ass. The highest I've gotten is 89.

I'm learning a lot from it, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to beat everything. It seems impossible sometimes.

Stage 6 on hard was tough, wow, I was stumped on 6-2 for quite a while, and the way I eventually got up was pretty... idk, strange. Completely different from the videos available on the wiki (which I watched afterwards). 6-3 was FUN. I love that that level was all about using items properly. The boss was a lot easier than stage 5's boss, too.

So that's 6 golds for me now, I'm almost there

LiK

finished it today. tough game. got the normal good ending from what i read. will replay for the other endings.

I've just finished stage 6 :) So far my hardest stage was 5, boss. Gonna have a wee break then get right back to it

Oh,
todd
died, I'm guessing he could have been saved?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So far (nightmare #3).

Gameplay = Terribad
Interaction and cutscenes = Amazing

LiK said:
chapter 7 was the worst. they're short floors but damn, real brain teasers.
7-4 is a straight up troll at first.

"Wait, why is the bell already ringing? WTF how am I supposed to do that?!"

Figuring it out, though... sogood.gif

Yoshichan said:
So far (nightmare #3).

Gameplay = Terribad
Interaction and cutscenes = Amazing
No, you're terribad. The puzzle gameplay is incredibly fun.

Maybe it will get better once some more block varieties are introduced; but if you think the gameplay's that bad, you're probably going to cut yourself later on.

LiK

dragonlife said:
No, you're terribad. The puzzle gameplay is incredibly fun.

Maybe it will get better once some more block varieties are introduced; but if you think the gameplay's that bad, you're probably going to cut yourself later on.
Yea, once the game reveals more techniques, it really made the game more enjoyable. Kinda wish they offered a separate technique/tutorial section so people can practice outside the nightmares.

totowhoa

Banned
Just beat the game. Am I missing something or can I not go back and replay levels? I really wanted to go for all gold but I don't want to start a new save, skip stuff constantly, and quit and reload my save every time I get silver.

Started a hard mode file and figured I could just rush through the early levels and win some easy golds. Level one was fine, then level two I goofed up and couldn't undo. No undo + fewer retries is going to make this mode obnoxious late game. Definitely won't be worrying about scoring well on the initial run.

LiK said:
Kinda wish they offered a separate technique/tutorial section so people can practice outside the nightmares.
Yeah, they should have added a training mode where you wouldn't have to worry about the floor falling under you; maybe add some simple challenges/tutorials to replicate. Or levels designed around a specific technique only.

Kinda OT, but when I played, I thought a Teleportation Block would have been neat.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hmm, Rose of Pain (X Japan) in one of these stages? Listen to the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7F9U795MsI

Very cool if it's inspired by it.

edit: Also, what happened to all my coins? Could've sworn I had 10k+ ... now it's back to 5k? I haven't bought anything.

Sklorenz said:
Just beat the game. Am I missing something or can I not go back and replay levels? I really wanted to go for all gold but I don't want to start a new save, skip stuff constantly, and quit and reload my save every time I get silver.

Started a hard mode file and figured I could just rush through the early levels and win some easy golds. Level one was fine, then level two I goofed up and couldn't undo. No undo + fewer retries is going to make this mode obnoxious late game. Definitely won't be worrying about scoring well on the initial run.

Do you have a stray sheep save? You can get to the stages from there.

Neiteio

Hmm, tried the demo of Catherine today and thought it was very fresh and fun. The review at Gametrailers seems to suggest the full game is even cooler.

Does the regular edition of the game come with the artbook and soundtrack? I ask because the pic at Amazon depicts such but makes no mention of an artbook or soundtrack. :-\

I just want to know what I'd be getting if I walked into a store and bought the game.

Yoshichan

god. i want erica badly.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Neiteio said:
Hmm, tried the demo of Catherine today and thought it was very fresh and fun. The review at Gametrailers seems to suggest the full game is even cooler.

Does the regular edition of the game come with the artbook and soundtrack? I ask because the pic at Amazon depicts such but makes no mention of an artbook or soundtrack. :-\

I just want to know what I'd be getting if I walked into a store and bought the game.

Like nearly any Atlus game, the first print run has the artbook/soundtrack, so walking into an actual store and you should be good to go in terms of finding one with those.

CatPee

Yoshichan said:
god. i want erica badly.

2lownn.jpg

LiK said:
chapter 7 was the worst. they're short floors but damn, real brain teasers.

Once it reaches the point where you need to start getting rid of blocks, it can get overwhelming. My friend and I took turns playing Catherine this week (I did most of the puzzles and playing a game like this for about 10 hours straight fucks with you) and we finished it last night with what I read was the "true" ending. The gameplay itself is pretty damned great, though. We played this game on Easy because we rented it and wanted to go through the story and it managed to get challenging (and cheap once in a while).

The story itself is pretty decent, but holy fuck that style of dialogue where every line is dragged the fuck out like in a lot of anime... Good GOD. However we were playing on a time window so maybe we wouldn't have minded it so much but so many scenes felt dragged out.

Definitely a solid game, though.

Neiteio

Zerokku said:
Like nearly any Atlus game, the first print run has the artbook/soundtrack, so walking into an actual store and you should be good to go in terms of finding one with those.
How do I tell if the game has the CD and book? Will it have a different box?

Korigama

Neiteio said:
How do I tell if the game has the CD and book? Will it have a different box?

The artbook is shrink-wrapped with the game (the CD inside of the book near the back). There will be a sticker on the front mentioning the artbook/soundtrack as well.

Yoshichan

ice world = really satisfying.
REALLY satisfying.

I got to the stage 7 boss :)
I'm gonna leave it there for the night, because I'm too tired to concentrate
Stage 7 was the trickiest so far, shorter levels but take a lot of thinking to work out the path upwards

Yoshichan said:
ice world = really satisfying.
REALLY satisfying.
I really like the music for the ice stages

BlazingDarkness said:
I really like the music for the ice stages
Ha. I'm listening to it as we speak, even before I entered the thread. I love it, too. It was the first track that made me go, "Holy shit, this is awesome!"

Yoshichan

Ugh how I wish this game had more cutscenes/interactive stuff and less of that climbing bullshit.

Reave

Yoshichan said:
Ugh how I wish this game had more cutscenes/interactive stuff and less of that climbing bullshit.
They are nightmares, which usually involve some struggle and plight. For that, I think the puzzle concept actually worked -- I hardly consider it bullshit.

ampere

Someplace in
space
WOAH. I'm eager to replay for that. Considering all the hints about it... I guess I should have expected some sort of ending like that.

Do we know what year this game takes place in? Space tours for the public, heh.

Yoshichan said:
D: Try to practice techniques, it can be really fun.

LiK said:
I love the Repunzel music. LOVE.
I was enjoying Rapunzel, but some of the levels with a lot of depth were hard for me to wrap my mind around. I couldn't tell if a block was one or two block widths away

CatPee

ciaossu said:
Do we know what year this game takes place in? Space tours for the public, heh.

Presumably in 2059-2060, because there's an advertisement poster in the Stray Sheep for a motorcycle. 2060 seems to indicate its model year. You'll also catch a glimpse of some seemingly high-tech stuff in the TF ending.

Beat it tonight. Pretty good, got the
Normal Cheater
Ending. Can't tell, does the ending you get pretty much rely on
whether you're siding on law or chaos going into the final stage, then your answers to the questions in the final stage determine whether you get the true, normal, or bad endings?

I didn't find the difficulty of the game too bad, although I fucking love puzzle games. I was waiting for world 6 to kick my ass because that's when everyone said the difficult ramped up, but 6-3 was the only one that really gave me trouble, and the level 6 boss was probably the easiest boss of them all. And I managed to silver world 7 on my first try, even though I bronzed everything else. Weird.

The only thing I really can complain about is the controls. So many times Vincent would do something I didn't want him to do. 50% of the time I could fix it with an undo, but 50% of the time he would do something that ended up in instantaneous death so I had to start over. That bugged me. Other than that, though, epic game. Not sure I have the patience to get all the endings but I may try eventually.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
9-5 on hard is insane. The others were slightly doable but here I can barely progress.

ULTROS! said:
9-5 on hard is insane. The others were slightly doable but here I can barely progress.

Isn't that the Mutton boss level? I remember on normal it being a pain because the boss kept killing me, but actually moving up the level was easy. You're scaring me

I've golded stages 1-6 on hard, I'll be starting stage 7 tomorrow probably

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
StunandStab said:
Isn't that the Mutton boss level? I remember on normal it being a pain because the boss kept killing me, but actually moving up the level was easy. You're scaring me

I've golded stages 1-6 on hard, I'll be starting stage 7 tomorrow probably

Normal is easy to be honest. I'm trying to gold this one but it's.... argh.

ULTROS! said:
Normal is easy to be honest. I'm trying to gold this one but it's.... argh.

Undo makes everything easy. Aside from no undo, Hard really isn't all that much harder.
I find it more fun. On normal, I didn't retry very often, just lots of undos and getting up the level one way or another without really stopping and thinking. Hard, on the other hand, I don't go into any stage expecting gold without a lot of retries, I look at each section of the stage and figure out what the best way of getting up is, and when I have it figured out from bottom to top, I then attempt to execute it (which usually actually takes longer than the figuring out, unfortunately). Normal was just... undo, undo undo, undo, undo, step + 1, undo, undo... etc.

EDIT: also watching videos after completing a stage to see how someone else did it differently is often very interesting

Demoskinos

I gotta say I'm nearly done and the twists that happen made me extremely excited. On the last stretch and I have to say some of the puzzles are down right devious. Chapter 7's puzzles nearly broke my brain.

I was getting highly annoyed for a good while but now honestly going back and playing some of the earlier levels its apparent how much I've learned in terms of strategy and techniques that makes getting gold on the earlier levels a breeze now.

I also applaud ATLUS for actually handling most of the subject matter with at least more class than most game companies do. And even if its less than scientific seeing the pie charts of what people answered is actually pretty cool. I gotta say I think this game might make my short list for GOTY along with Shadows of the Damned.

Also, minor off topic but.. damn I wish the persona team would put some of the persona games in HD on the PS3. After playing this I'm really in the mood for more of the goofy persona universe.

Top Bottom