• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
To get the overall gold trophy, do I need to gold all the substages before the final stage?

ULTROS! said:
To get the overall gold trophy, do I need to gold all the substages before the final stage?

Nope. Only the final stage matters. Of course, getting gold will be more difficult in the final stage if you don't get gold in the previous substages as well, but I've had two silvers before getting gold on the boss stage before. So no, you don't need to gold all of them.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
StunandStab said:
Nope. Only the final stage matters. Of course, getting gold will be more difficult in the final stage if you don't get gold in the previous substages as well, but I've had two silvers before getting gold on the boss stage before. So no, you don't need to gold all of them.

Thank god, I'm struggling on the
9-5
so I'll just finish the sake of it.

LiK

ULTROS! said:
Thank god, I'm struggling on the
9-5
so I'll just finish the sake of it.

i wonder how much tougher that is on Normal? i played on Easy and it was nowhere near as frustrating as 7 or some of the earlier chapters.

LiK said:
i wonder how much tougher that is on Normal? i played on Easy and it was nowhere near as frustrating as 7 or some of the earlier chapters.

I haven't played Easy so I don't know what that is like, but I definitely found
stage 9
more challenging than stage 7 on Normal.
Not quite there yet on hard... looking forward to it, though :)

ULTROS!

LiK said:

I found normal just a tinge harder than easy because it still has undo. Unlike hard, there is no undo and a good number of paths are just "one way" (meaning if you don't succeed, you have to retry from the checkpoint).

ampere

ULTROS! said:
I found normal just a tinge harder than easy because it still has undo. Unlike hard, there is no undo and a good number of paths are just "one way" (meaning if you don't succeed, you have to retry from the checkpoint).
I would need a lot more practice before I could handle playing without undo. Saved me so many times

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
LiK said:

It's a lot harder on normal, I redid it on easy to get most of the ending and there's way more normal blocks instead of cracked ones, more items, easier designs overall.
In 9-5 against Mutton on easy at the end you pick up a bell right in your path and change the blackhole blocks, on normal that bell is in the middle of the formation in the center and you need to get it. 9-6 was a lot more complex as well.

LiK

Papercuts said:
It's a lot harder on normal, I redid it on easy to get most of the ending and there's way more normal blocks instead of cracked ones, more items, easier designs overall.
In 9-5 against Mutton on easy at the end you pick up a bell right in your path and change the blackhole blocks, on normal that bell is in the middle of the formation in the center and you need to get it. 9-6 was a lot more complex as well.

ah thanks. definitely sounds more challenging.

I'm actually surprised I'm able to Gold many of these early stages on normal on my 2nd playthrough.

I think I'll have a much harder time once I get to the 5th stage onward, though.

I rarely play games twice in a row, but I had to get the True Catherine Ending to go along with my True Katherine ending.

totowhoa

Banned
ReturnOfTheRAT said:
Do you have a stray sheep save? You can get to the stages from there.

How's that? The award menu I never checked? :p Although I have few saves my earliest save is just beyond there, sadly. Do I need to start a new file to replay the stages now? Ugh..

@FairXchange: Got true catherine on my first play through by chance (though I was shooting for pure chaos), and it's pretty epic. Enjoy it.

ULTROS!

Fuck, I was supposed to gold the final dungeon but I got silver instead due to
bronzing 9-5
. Fuck fuck fuck.

AtlusAram said:
Catherine's narrative is set in America.

What makes you so sure? I don't see any pr---*sees your username*

catherine.jpg

Bravo, you have defeated me. I will go to sleep now...
*wakes up in stage 1-1* "...f***"

ULTROS! said:
Fuck, I was supposed to gold the final dungeon but I got silver instead due to
bronzing 9-5
. Fuck fuck fuck.

Hmm, you probably shouldn't have stuck with the bronze, 'cause bronze means you were well under the target score for gold. Usually getting silver means you're just shy of the target score for a gold prize so it's okay to go on with that and you can make up for it... bronze on the other hand...

You can check the scores you need for silver/gold at the Catherine wiki. The scores shown there are generally a little higher than what you actually need (I always get less score than what they say and I still get golds), but they should help out.

EDIT: Also it may help to attempt golding that stage through the actual story, rather than through the phone. That way you can make saves right before each level, in which case if you don't get gold on the final level, you can go back to an earlier save if need be without starting all over again.

Just completed it! Took me 14 hours in total
Such a great game :D

I think I got a bad ending lol, not too sure though

To get the other endings, can I just load up a save before the final night? I'm guessing it's the
last set of freedom questions
that dictate the ending, right?

Gonna have to replay from the beginning at some point too, only managed to save
morgan and justin
from Stray Sheep, I'm guessing all of those people you can save if you do it correctly?

ULTROS!

StunandStab said:
Hmm, you probably shouldn't have stuck with the bronze, 'cause bronze means you were well under the target score for gold. Usually getting silver means you're just shy of the target score for a gold prize so it's okay to go on with that and you can make up for it... bronze on the other hand...

You can check the scores you need for silver/gold at the Catherine wiki. The scores shown there are generally a little higher than what you actually need (I always get less score than what they say and I still get golds), but they should help out.

EDIT: Also it may help to attempt golding that stage through the actual story, rather than through the phone. That way you can make saves right before each level, in which case if you don't get gold on the final level, you can go back to an earlier save if need be without starting all over again.

Good news, I finally gold-ed the stage. After over 30-50+ fucking retries.

Zerokku said:
We have an Atlus Employee on the previous page clearly stating it takes place in America :p
Then what's with the True Freedom ending then?
Maybe the space station is property of the United States of America? Kind of like Vanquish where SC-01 Providence is the 51st state.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why does my money keep resetting? I could've sworn I had more than I have right now and I haven't bought anything.

Psi

BlazingDarkness said:
Just gone again and got the
bad cheater
ending, and my first was
bad lover
Where are my good endings ;_;

You should probably try
choosing the girl that matches your karma meter

ULTROS!

I feel so giddy getting the Golden Child trophy (all hard in gold). But Babel is gonna be a bitch. Any guides that I can follow to reduce headaches?

BlazingDarkness said:
Just gone again and got the
bad cheater
ending, and my first was
bad lover
Where are my good endings ;_;

If you're a cheater, go all the way cheater (freedom, not stick to priorities, etc.) in the final 4 question. Else if you're a lover, you have to choose all the good ones (sticking to a lover, etc.)

webrunner

AtlusAram said:
Catherine's narrative is set in America.

It's a pretty darn Japanese part of America, then, what with the japanese style apartment, heavy sake drinking, japanese-style conveyor sushi bar, and such.

ULTROS!

Can't we just say this takes place in Japantown, SF? :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ULTROS! said:
I feel so giddy getting the Golden Child trophy (all hard in gold). But Babel is gonna be a bitch. Any guides that I can follow to reduce headaches?

Babel is all randomized so there's no way to make a guide for it. Have fun. :p

JWong

Banned
Finished.

True Catherine
Ending
is pretty funny.

Had to not be honest to get that ending or I would have ended up with dullness.

Korigama

ULTROS! said:
Can't we just say this takes place in Japantown, SF? :p

If anyone did,
it wouldn't explain how the city itself didn't look remotely Japanese once Vincent walked around outside in the cutscene following stage 8
. But then, I see no point in continuing to argue against what the people who brought the game over (and assuredly conferred with the people who developed it) in the first place said.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm Youtubing the rest of this game. The gameplay is by far the worst thing I've witnessed since random_fps#48194.

Unsatisfying.
Boring.
Clumsy.
Unnecessary "difficult" (not a fun difficulty, just artificial, forced difficulty).
Rubberband as if I'm playing a racing game.

Overall crap.

Story's great, music's good.

ULTROS! said:

If you're a cheater, go all the way cheater (freedom, not stick to priorities, etc.) in the final 4 question. Else if you're a lover, you have to choose all the good ones (sticking to a lover, etc.)

Unfortunately I didn't lean either way really, the meter would knock to one side and then go back to middle every time

Anyway, I got the
true freedom
ending, that one was a good one! :D
Also WTF, I didn't realise
they were like, in a space colony or something lol

Will go for the
Catherine and Katherine good endings
some other time :)

Grisby

Just saw the ending of
True Catherine
. Man, that shit was hilarious. Game has some great endings.

All told on my two playthroughs I've put in about 20 hours, on easy and then normal. The controls got to me at times but the puzzle solving is so satisfying.

Psi

Yoshichan said:
I'm Youtubing the rest of this game. The gameplay is by far the worst thing I've witnessed since random_fps#48194.

Unsatisfying.
Boring.
Clumsy.
Unnecessary "difficult" (not a fun difficulty, just artificial, forced difficulty).

Overall crap.

Youtube the
True Katherine
ending, keeping in mind how much you wanted Erica.

ampere

Yoshichan said:

Unsatisfying.
Boring.
Clumsy.

Overall crap.

Play it on easy and be very liberal with your 'undo' button usage, it helps a lot.

srenity

Neo Member
Finally finished with
Good Katherine ending "Just Like Old Times"
answering the characters and the questions with what I would have answered if I was Vincent. The nightmare stages are so frustrating but the story makes it worth playing through! Currently going through another run answering questions towards the chaos karma meter.

Random: Whenever I hear the voice at the confessional (aka
Astaroth
), I keep thinking Teddie is talking to me in the other room :p (I know it's the same voice actor, but I just can't unsee/unhear it!
Random2: Katherine inspired me to paint my nails blue! Not a color that I usually wear on my nails, haha.

ampere

srenity said:
Finally finished with
Good Katherine ending "Just Like Old Times"
answering the characters and the questions with what I would have answered if I was Vincent. The nightmare stages are so frustrating but the story makes it worth playing through! Currently going through another run answering questions towards the chaos karma meter.

Random: Whenever I hear the voice at the confessional (aka
Astaroth
), I keep thinking Teddie is talking to me in the other room :p (I know it's the same voice actor, but I just can't unsee/unhear it!
Random2: Katherine inspired me to paint my nails blue! Not a color that I usually wear on my nails, haha.
I knew that voice sounded familiar, couldn't put my finger on it

snap0212

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I order a drink at the bar? I got a text telling me that I should buy more drinks to take advantage of them during the nightmare stages, but I couldn't figure out how to actually buy them. :D

Korigama

snap0212 said:
This is probably a stupid question, but how do I order a drink at the bar? I got a text telling me that I should buy more drinks to take advantage of them during the nightmare stages, but I couldn't figure out how to actually buy them. :D

You have to sit at the bar. Boss will ask for your order once you finish each drink (three sips per drink before the glass is empty, default is rum and cola). This will let you check out the drink trivia as well.

ampere

snap0212 said:
You can drink while sitting at the table with your friends as well, once you finish a drink you get the option to order a new one. I think the drink button was square on PS3.

AntiTout

ciaossu said:
You can drink while sitting at the table with your friends as well, once you finish a drink you get the option to order a new one. I think the drink button was square on PS3.
The first thing I do when I sit is hit square+square+square, and the waitress comes for another glass.

I'm now on the third last stage/normal on the JPN version, it's hard for me.
I thought that the left answer will always bring down my 'karma', but i's not!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Beat it last night. Other than a few spots where I had to figure out the right technique, Normal wasn't that hard at all. Of course, using Undo to reset your combo meter and/or the boss attacks really helped during close calls. The game's really about pattern recognition - most of the times I died were due to a control screwup on my part.

Debating whether to go on to a Hard playthrough or just go through Normal to get through the endings since I have all but 1 gold in every stage and it lets you skip nightmare stages w/ gold on re-plays.

Neiteio

I got this game at Best Buy -- the second of two Best Buys, in fact, after also unsuccessfully checking at Meijer, Target and Walmart -- and the game did NOT come with an artbook and music CD. :(

I don't suppose there's any way to get those items now that I have the game, is there? Hmm...

Anyone think the comment by
Astaroth in the confessional
near the very end of the game, about
Vincent seeing him again at some time, in some way, in the future
hints to a sequel? His whole involvement was only vaguely touched on right towards the end, plus we never actually
saw
him

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Neiteio said:
I got this game at Best Buy -- the second of two Best Buys, in fact, after also unsuccessfully checking at Meijer, Target and Walmart -- and the game did NOT come with an artbook and music CD. :(

I don't suppose there's any way to get those items now that I have the game, is there? Hmm...
Those were pre-order bonuses afaik.

webrunner said:
It's a pretty darn Japanese part of America, then, what with the japanese style apartment, heavy sake drinking, japanese-style conveyor sushi bar, and such.
What American would make a reference to mythical Japanese creatures? :lol

Neiteio

firehawk12 said:
Those were pre-order bonuses afaik.
The thing is, at Walmart there was an Xbox 360 version that appeared to have the bonuses attached. But at the second Best Buy, the only of the five stores to have a PS3 version, none of the games had bonuses attached. :-\

george_us

Yoshichan said:

Unsatisfying.
Boring.
Clumsy.

Overall crap.

I had to Youtube Night 7 and 8-1 is a huge load of bullshit. The game is pure trial and error.

The non-puzzle elements are really good but I'll be damned if this isn't the most tedious and frustrating gameplay I've ever experienced.

Neiteio said:
The thing is, at Walmart there was an Xbox 360 version that appeared to have the bonuses attached. But at the second Best Buy, the only of the five stores to have a PS3 version, none of the games had bonuses attached. :-\
I think the bonuses only come attached with the first printing of the game, perhaps you got one from a second shipment?

Neiteio

BlazingDarkness said:
I think the bonuses only come attached with the first printing of the game, perhaps you got one from a second shipment?
Ah, that may explain it then. Well, that's fine, I suppose. I'm surprised the cover was different too, though. It's a closeup of Catherine's face, rather than the waist-up shot of her face, chest and arms.

george_us said:
I had to Youtube Night 7 and 8-1 is a huge load of bullshit. The game is pure trial and error.

The non-puzzle elements are really good but I'll be damned if this isn't the most tedious and frustrating gameplay I've ever experienced.

If you're not enjoying the gameplay just bump the difficulty down in the config menu when you're in Stray Sheep, easy mode still offers a nice amount of challenge but you probably won't die more than a handful of times even on the hardest stages

Top Bottom