• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

ampere

Neiteio said:
Argh, why do people respond with 100-percent spoiler answers to people who haven't beaten the game yet? -_- Luckily, while I did hit Quote to reply to him, all I saw was the word "gold" before quickly backing out. I do NOT want this story spoiled. Like I said, it's Heavy Rain gripping... which is VERY gripping... and which has me worried that like Heavy Rain, all the mystery will be gone when it's over.

Without spoiling anything, would the people who have beat this game say there's still an element of mystery once you beat the game? I'm at 7-1, and I'm hoping it's like Pan's Labyrinth where they don't explain everything outright, but if you read between the lines you can deduce a great deal. That's how the game has been so far (it would appear), and I hope it continues the trend.
Best advice, flee from the thread until you beat it :x

I posted a few times before beating it, but I made sure not to read anyone else's posts. It's inevitable that something posted will spoil things for you in the case of a game like this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Neiteio said:
Argh, why do people respond with 100-percent spoiler answers to people who haven't beaten the game yet? -_- Luckily, while I did hit Quote to reply to him, all I saw was the word "gold" before quickly backing out. I do NOT want this story spoiled. Like I said, it's Heavy Rain gripping... which is VERY gripping... and which has me worried that like Heavy Rain, all the mystery will be gone when it's over.

Without spoiling anything, would the people who have beat this game say there's still an element of mystery once you beat the game? I'm at 7-1, and I'm hoping it's like Pan's Labyrinth where they don't explain everything outright, but if you read between the lines you can deduce a great deal. That's how the game has been so far (it would appear), and I hope it continues the trend.

The game has anime writing, with all the advantages and pitfalls that such writing entails.

LiK

ciaossu said:
Best advice, flee from the thread until you beat it :x

I posted a few times before beating it, but I made sure not to read anyone else's posts. It's inevitable that something posted will spoil things for you in the case of a game like this.
I agree, people should play this blind the first time and only start reading for other things for replays. Don't try to get the best ending or path the first time. It's a much more intriguing experience.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kave_Man said:
I saw an LP of this and I am intrigued. I am probably going to pick it up when the price drops.
Darksydephil? Cuz I'm watching him playing through the game and it's 10x better this way :lol

Neiteio

firehawk12 said:
The game has anime writing, with all the advantages and pitfalls that such writing entails.
Hmm, I watched a number of anime growing up (DBZ, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, FLCL, etc), though I never considered myself an anime fan, and I would say Catherine blows any anime I've seen out of the water in terms of plot, characterization and execution (writing, delivery, etc). Granted, I'm at 7-1, so I don't know how wildly this story will veer off in any given direction. I'm eagerly anticipating some supernatural element to reveal itself, yet at the same time I hope that said reveal doesn't compromise all the mystery. I'm hoping it's like in my favorite movie Pan's Labyrinth, where, say, you see the Pale Man and hints of his backstory by way of the mosaics on the ceilings of his lair, but they don't just straight-up tell you, "This is X, he comes from Y, he's all about Z." If that makes any sense. :)

LiK

firehawk12 said:

nah, this is way more mature and "real" compared to most traditional anime. i really enjoyed the conversations between the characters and what they talk about. it feels more like an American TV drama than anime to me, especially the first half.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The writing didn't seem so animu to me.

The way I see it
it seemed like a Shin Megami Tensei (demons and stuff) drama about reality.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Neiteio said:
Hmm, I watched a number of anime growing up (DBZ, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, FLCL, etc), though I never considered myself an anime fan, and I would say Catherine blows any anime I've seen out of the water in terms of plot, characterization and execution (writing, delivery, etc). Granted, I'm at 7-1, so I don't know how wildly this story will veer off in any given direction. I'm eagerly anticipating some supernatural element to reveal itself, yet at the same time I hope that said reveal doesn't compromise all the mystery. I'm hoping it's like in my favorite movie Pan's Labyrinth, where, say, you see the Pale Man and hints of his backstory by way of the mosaics on the ceilings of his lair, but they don't just straight-up tell you, "This is X, he comes from Y, he's all about Z." If that makes any sense. :)
I can't really say much without spoilers, so maybe we'll table until you finish the game.

LiK said:
nah, this is way more mature and "real" compared to most traditional anime. i really enjoyed the conversations between the characters and what they talk about. it feels more like an American TV drama than anime to me, especially the first half.
Yeah, see, that's the thing. :lol

ULTROS! said:
The writing didn't seem so animu to me.

The way I see it
it seemed like a Shin Megami Tensei (demons and stuff) drama about reality.
There are many small things, including
Erica and Catherine's father.
. Not to mention the overall ending arc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
firehawk12 said:
There are many small things, including
Erica and Catherine's father.
. Not to mention the overall ending arc.

Yup,
having Ishtar, Dumuzid, Astaroth, and Succubus being the "masterminds" of the entire game made me think this game should be called Shin Megami Tensei: Catherine

Anyway, slightly OT but that Rossini rendition by Meguro explains the entirety of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsuJth9FXec

Such a great song...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:

It's about as spoilerish as your very own post explaining how to get different endings, which is exactly why I didn't quote all of your text (in case you wanted to spoiler it later).

I just wrote about how the last levels are organized, and the most efficient way to organize your saves to get multiple endings... There's nothing revealed plotwise whatsoever. It's only about level structure.

Neiteio

GuardianE said:
It's about as spoilerish as your very own post explaining how to get different endings, which is exactly why I didn't quote all of your text (in case you wanted to spoiler it later).

I just wrote about how the last levels are organized, and the most efficient way to organize your saves to get multiple endings... There's nothing revealed plotwise whatsoever. It's only about level structure.
Ah, OK. I hope I didn't come off snippy (I'm not one to get angry). I don't consider level structure to be spoilers any more than being able to take a book, flip through the pages and see that there are 300 pages, 400 pages, etc. I was only concerned about the details of the plot being spoiled. And really, I rarely care about that too, but the last games I played that so gripped me were Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, BioShock 2, Heavy Rain and RDR, so this is quite refreshing. :)

ULTROS!

JEKKI said:
jus beat 7-1... is there penalty for using Undo??

I lately got into the habit of doing it -_-

No penalty for undo. The way to get gold is to climb the tower non-stop (and the combo meter doesn't drop till you reach the last) and getting almost every gold coins.

Just beat Axis Mundi (in pairs). Going to start my Hard playthrough next; 1000/1000 shouldn't be too far off.

Also, Trisha > Catherine & Katherine combined.

Neiteio

ULTROS! said:
No penalty for undo. The way to get gold is to climb the tower non-stop (and the combo meter doesn't drop till you reach the last) and getting almost every gold coins.
AKA pause frequently to check frame-by-frame YouTube playthroughs. That's what I'll be doing! ;)

I just cleared 8-1 and HOLY SHIT. The story just took multiple twists and turns that have made this game even more amazing than it already was.
The bit where you have to tap X to advance past the Thomas Mutten quote is brilliant; it makes you fixate on the quote and perhaps realize there is no one with that name... And then Boss is exposed as an ancient fertility god, one who has gone by many names, including Thomas Mutten.
Easily the best storytelling, characterization, etc, I've seen in a game to date, from the densely layered symbols all entwined in meaningful fashion (shepherds/flocks, goat horns, crucifixes, ants, cake, Rapunzel, etc) to all the brilliant character touches that just feel so real. Just, wow.

And I'm not even at the end yet. Clearly I'm heading into the end game... No one spoil it for me. I can't wait to see what happens next. :)

I gotta say, though, World 7 was HARD... Real head-scratcher layouts that turned my mind into a pretzel. I think the repetitious music in that world (and the fact I got stuck in ringing bell sections) drove me a bit batty as I tried to negotiate those tricky separate plane puzzles (you know the ones -- stacks one block deep but many blocks tall and wide, and never enough room to do a straightforward pyramid). The World 7 boss was a cinch, though...

And I loved the World 8 boss. Very easy confrontation, but priceless scenario.
I am, of course, referring to you and Katherine fleeing from demonic Catherine.

Brilliant game. I still can't believe it exists, or that it was actually localized, and so incredibly well, to boot. :)

nearing the end of the game and i still don't know if i like or hate it, something in the middle i guess. i bet some addicts already experienced real nightmares from all that block pushing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
Ah, OK. I hope I didn't come off snippy (I'm not one to get angry). I don't consider level structure to be spoilers any more than being able to take a book, flip through the pages and see that there are 300 pages, 400 pages, etc. I was only concerned about the details of the plot being spoiled. And really, I rarely care about that too, but the last games I played that so gripped me were Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, BioShock 2, Heavy Rain and RDR, so this is quite refreshing. :)

Not at all. I probably shouldn't've spoilered ALL of my post, but I would've had to cover up at least 75% if it, so I just let it ride. I could've provided an explanation of what kind of spoilers they were.

Glad you're enjoying it. I think that the toughest parts of the game for me were the first
Child
and then Stage 6. I'm on my way to getting all the endings. Got two left!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Finished it yesteday. One of the best games this gen. I wish that there were more like this. Played it on easy, going back for a normal Catherine-run followed by a hard gold run. :)

Just played the demo, and I'm sold. Is there any word when Deep Silver is going to release it in Europe, or should I just import?

Oh, and does the retail version of the game have a Japanese audio track? There should be enough room on a Blu-ray disc at least...

snap0212

Neon_Icarus said:
Just played the demo, and I'm sold. Is there any word when Deep Silver is going to release it in Europe, or should I just import?
Just import it. I got it for about 40€ (shipping included).

Neon_Icarus said:
Oh, and does the retail version of the game have a Japanese audio track? There should be enough room on a Blu-ray disc at least...
No Japanese audio.

LiK

Neon_Icarus said:

Not about space from Atlus interview.

Neiteio

I'd go with the English-language version, really. The demo had a fleeting instance of drawn-out sentences and poor lip synching, but such is virtually absent past that point. The game as a whole has easily the best English-language voice acting, pacing, localization, etc, of any anime-style story I've seen. As others have said, it's so immersive and real that it feels like you're watching an American drama. It's all the subtleties in what people say and how they say it. If it weren't for the distinctly Japanese art direction, I would've thought the script was penned by a high-profile western screenwriter.

Also, you should buy the English version so Atlus continues bringing these games over here. :)

mattp

has there been any official explanation of what all that space stuff was? haha
was it just supposed to imply the game took place in the future or something?

LiK

Neiteio said:
I'd go with the English-language version, really. The demo had a fleeting instance of drawn-out sentences and poor lip synching, but such is virtually absent past that point. The game as a whole has easily the best English-language voice acting, pacing, localization, etc, of any anime-style story I've seen. As others have said, it's so immersive and real that it feels like you're watching an American drama. If it weren't for the art direction, I would've thought the script was penned by a high-profile western screenwriter.

Also, you should buy the English version so Atlus continues bringing these games over here. :)

indeed, the localization is great. there are some really funny dialogue that is worth checking out. Atlus USA did a great job.

Neiteio

mattp said:
has there been any official explanation of what all that space stuff was? haha
was it just supposed to imply the game took place in the future or something?
I'm not done with the game yet, but I suspect the theme with the space travel is the empty pursuit of something beyond the blessings already in your life, hence people's fixation with leaving this world for the void of the beyond, much like trying to find fulfilment in other distractions when there are people who love you right here and now.

Or something. Love this game. :)

Neiteio said:
I'd go with the English-language version, really. The demo had a fleeting instance of drawn-out sentences and poor lip synching, but such is virtually absent past that point. The game as a whole has easily the best English-language voice acting, pacing, localization, etc, of any anime-style story I've seen. As others have said, it's so immersive and real that it feels like you're watching an American drama. It's all the subtleties in what people say and how they say it. If it weren't for the distinctly Japanese art direction, I would've thought the script was penned by a high-profile western screenwriter.

Yeah, the dub seemed good. It would have been nice to have the option though, especially as some of those Japanese voice actors are really good. (This one has Koichi Yamadera, right?)

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll probably at least wait a few weeks and see if Deep Silver announce a Euro release date.

LiK

One of my fave quotes from Vincent. "I'm gonna climb the shit outta these blocks." LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LiK said:
One of my fave quotes from Vincent. "I'm gonna climb the shit outta these blocks." LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

I think it was "Fucking blocks. Imma climb the shit out of you!"

One of my favorite lines in the entire game. It never ceases to bring a smile to my face.

LiK

GuardianE said:
I think it was "Fucking blocks. Imma climb the shit out of you!"

One of my favorite lines in the entire game. It never ceases to bring a smile to my face.

yea, that was it. i loved how annoyed he gets as the game goes on.

mattp

LiK said:
i beat the game twice and i dunno what space stuff you guys are talking about. am i missing something? lol
they mention it a few times in the game. people are paying 50 grand to take a vacation into space or something haha

LiK

mattp said:
they mention it a few times in the game. people are paying 50 grand to take a vacation into space or something haha

oh, yea, probably a few years in the future. we're not that far away from that actually. Virgin is already working on it right now.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
There's a poster ad about space travel in Vincent's room too, it's caught on camera sometimes. It features the previous price and the people on the bar are talking about a price drop iirc.

cj_iwakura

The other sign that this is futuristic is after
Chapter 8, when you see Vincent walking in the rain outside.

Note the signs saying when the rain will stop, by timer.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
cj_iwakura said:
The other sign that this is futuristic is after
Chapter 8, when you see Vincent walking in the rain outside.

Note the signs saying when the rain will stop, by timer.

I just thought that was something that really existed in Japan.

Top Bottom