• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Goldmund

Nice little write-up by Patrick Klepek over at Giant Bomb.

Patrick Klepek said:
[...]

Every day of the week, I'd rather spend my time exploring an interesting misfire than the same old thing with a new coat of paint, mulling the lessons we can learn. Catherine is anything but the same old thing brought out for another man-this-feels-familiar trip around the deja vu block. If you're desperate for different, Catherine and Katherine are two gals worth calling up.

[...]

Has this been discussed yet?

Mergesort

Got the Katherine true ending yesterday and the Catherine true ending a few seconds ago, damn this is GOTY for me! I am totally shocked! Now i am going for the other endings

Neiteio

Posted this in the spoilers thread; reposting it here with HEAVY tagging (talk of symbolism, fasincation with supernatural element):

Everything about this game is brilliant. I'd love to pick the brain of whoever penned the story, asking them what was their starting point. Did it start with the
fairy tale of Rapunzel
? A fascination with the
gods of old Babylon?
All the wonderful symbolism you can get with sheep, from
lambs led astray to horns twisting with insanity to lost souls being shepherded to judgment by Boss/Thomas Mutton/Dumuzid
? I'm sure the human drama at the core of the tale was the true genesis of the plot -- it's just so real and well-done -- but the thematic elements, iconography, etc, intrigue me in how seamlessly they link together, each layering meaning on the other.

On a side note, this game really drove home for me how much I miss zany Japanese boss battles.
Dumuzid, in particular, had a great Bayonetta vibe going for him, and could trace his creative lineage to Kefka and any of the other freakish fallen gods in Final Fantasy. It really pegged my meter to see a gavel-and-gun-wielding Thomas Mutten in a crane-lifted director's chair with live sheep heads for armrests, and then the Dumuzid form of a disembodied head with a beard-like growth of entwined sheep corpses and a throne room for a crown, in which his human form sits with a shepherd's staff, paraphrasing Castlevania's "It's a fine night to have a curse."

You just don't get that shit in Western games. Not nearly enough, anyway.

And now I hear that reaching
Axis Mundi in Babel leads Trisha the Midnight Venus to reveal her name is an anagram for Ishtar, the Babylonian goddess for war, fertility, love and sex, and that she is one and the same with Astaroth from the Confessionals, and that her true motive was the fourth wall-breaking desire to find a worthy new consort in not Vincent, but the player him/herself.

Awesome.

Only downside about (incoming character spoiler)
Trish/Midnight Venus being this way is it wouldn't be quite so straight-forward to use the Golden Playhouse framing device for a spiritual successor to Catherine. Maybe such a game could retain the Golden Playhouse late-night Twilight Zone device, but have a different hostess.
Hmm...

Just finished 5-1 and am loving this game. Unless the first four chapters are much shorter than the last four, the length of this game has been way overstated. No way I'm getting more than 10 hours, that is if I even get 8.

Just finished the game on Normal with the
True Katherine
ending.

It was challenging without being ridiculous, had an engrossing story and contained lots of attention to detail. A very excellent game.

there should be a warning to this game. i havent touched it in a week but im still having block tower climbing dreams. at first it was cool. now its just annoying. just normal blocks that i push around to climb a tower. some times i wake up when stuck. this happening to anyone else? its relentless!!! every night.

JEKKI

maaaaaaaan

I hate it when you're stuck at a Checkpoint trying to figure out how to beat a part,

then u finally figure it out and go like ah cool!!! let's start from the beginning now so I can get a max score!!!

so u do, and when u reach that part, u forget how u solved it!!!!!!!!

I figured it out eventually, but had to settle for my Bronze trophy :(

ironcreed

Banned
Goldmund said:

Not sure, but just from reading that excerpt, Patrick and I are on the same page right about now in regards to craving some games that are outside the box for a change. Time to go read the rest. Thanks for posting.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Goldmund said:

I don't get the complaints about the end part of the game. Weird supernatural stuff involving dreams, sheep, and sudden deaths are fine but what ends up happening isn't? Though even Patrick brought that point up, oddly enough:

Yes, yes, I know Catherine comes from the Persona team, so to encounter supreme weirdness should be expected, and yet, here I am, trying to erase this particular twist from memory, despite acknowledging we're talking about a game whose central metaphor is block puzzles in a dreamscape full of sheep.

krpiper

this is probably been asked, but how many endings are there? as well do the various endings change between difficulty levels

Just finished up stage 9 on Hard and got my Golden Child achievement. Now to start going through Rapunzel, and then I'll finally get all of the endings and wrap this game up.

Overall, the game's pretty great. There's just a few parts that really annoy me because of how much luck is involved due to the randomness (ie. Obelisk). But that's only like 2% of the game, the rest is awesome.

Neiteio

If I want to rearrange the order of my save files, is there any way to copy/delete them? I "bookmarked" a couple of the coolest scenes and would like those save files to be further down the load list (but I don't want duplicates of them existing further up).

deim0s

Just finished the game on Normal, getting Katherine's True Ending
(Them getting married, correct?)

Will replay the game soon. One of the best games this gen.

auuuuuuuuuuuugh 205 steps on Obelisk I can't stand this!

I tried Axis Mundi and the best I could do was 36 steps... I don't understand that level at all

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
StunandStab said:
auuuuuuuuuuuugh 205 steps on Obelisk I can't stand this!

I tried Axis Mundi and the best I could do was 36 steps... I don't understand that level at all

Play it in pairs (just switch controllers). :p

FJ0372

Hey guys I really want to play this game. But I live in england so its not out. I was just wondering whether that if in the American version are the voices English or are they Japanese with English subtitles.

LiK

FJ0372 said:
Hey guys I really want to play this game. But I live in england so its not out. I was just wondering whether that if in the American version are the voices English or are they Japanese with English subtitles.
English voice and subs.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
My PS3 copy (that I pre-ordered on the 1st of March) finally arrived today! Played for a couple of hours and am loving it so far. I love how the game is a SMT game, just with blocks instead of dungeons. They should add a first-person mode just for (horrifying) kicks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Finally beat Menhir.

Feels good.

Edit: For those goaling for platinum/1000G, how many trophies/achievements have you got left, guys? I'm down to 3.

I'm missing 19 achievements I think. All but one of the endings, all of the drink trivia, all of the Rapunzel achievements, and the ones for saving the cop & saving all NPCs. Still got lots of stuff to clean up, but I'm done with the hard stuff (Babel & Golden Child). edit: actually, Rapunzel can get pretty hard every now and then, and there's a lot of levels. gonna be a while before I finish that.

ULTROS!

iconoclast said:
I'm missing 19 achievements I think. All but one of the endings, all of the drink trivia, all of the Rapunzel achievements, and the ones for saving the cop & saving all NPCs. Still got lots of stuff to clean up, but I'm done with the hard stuff (Babel & Golden Child). edit: actually, Rapunzel can get pretty hard every now and then, and there's a lot of levels. gonna be a while before I finish that.

Tip: Youtube. ;)

ULTROS!

Adam Blade said:
8 real endings and 1 other "ending."

Out of curiosity, what's that "other ending"?

nvm, is it that babel axis mundi one?

ULTROS! said:
Play it in pairs (just switch controllers). :p

I find that much harder than singles. =/

ULTROS! said:
Edit: For those goaling for platinum/1000G, how many trophies/achievements have you got left, guys? I'm down to 3.

I just need Conquer Obelisk, Axis Mundi, and the three Rapunzel trophies. So 5

EDIT: Just beat Obelisk in Pairs... wow... that really was quite easy. For some reason the stage layout was far easier than every other time I've tried Pairs. Usually when I try pairs the stage is pretty much exactly the same as Singles and that's just impossible to do with two people, but this time it was actually how it's supposed to be!

Interesting that only 475 people have ever reached the goal on Obelisk in Pairs. I'm #231

EDIT again: I just beat Axis Mundi in Pairs on my first try... lol

Andrefpvs

StunandStab said:
I find that much harder than singles. =/

I just need Conquer Obelisk, Axis Mundi, and the three Rapunzel trophies. So 5

EDIT: Just beat Obelisk in Pairs... wow... that really was quite easy. For some reason the stage layout was far easier than every other time I've tried Pairs. Usually when I try pairs the stage is pretty much exactly the same as Singles and that's just impossible to do with two people, but this time it was actually how it's supposed to be!

Interesting that only 475 people have ever reached the goal on Obelisk in Pairs. I'm #231

EDIT again: I just beat Axis Mundi in Pairs on my first try... lol

How did you do it? Pick up one controller, move/climb some blocks, then just climb with the other?

Neiteio

So it appears that when I go into a previous save, get some gold medals by retrying through the cell phone, and then quit without saving to the diary, I still retain the progress made getting the golds, because it's saved to more than just the save file, but the game as a whole (the Saving icon that appears unprompted). Is this correct?

mileS

I'm not sure but I was surprised to see Very Easy mode stayed on(before loading any saves) after turning the PS3 off for the night.

Andrefpvs said:
How did you do it? Pick up one controller, move/climb some blocks, then just climb with the other?

Yup, exactly. Pick up one controller, make a path up, and when you feel you've gone far enough with that character, move them out of the way (usually hanging them off an edge somewhere is best) and grab your other controller and continue making a path further up with the other character. Always make sure the character below you will also be able to climb up after the one you're controlling has, so don't go moving blocks on top of the stairs you just made, and try to avoid cracked blocks and stuff.

At one point during Obelisk, a random block turned into a bomb, and I knew that if I just moved one character up the other one would be stuck and I'd have to retry, so I actually picked up both controllers at once at this point and moved both of them up... It was pretty crazy.

Andrefpvs

StunandStab said:
Yup, exactly. Pick up one controller, make a path up, and when you feel you've gone far enough with that character, move them out of the way (usually hanging them off an edge somewhere is best) and grab your other controller and continue making a path further up with the other character. Always make sure the character below you will also be able to climb up after the one you're controlling has, so don't go moving blocks on top of the stairs you just made, and try to avoid cracked blocks and stuff.

At one point during Obelisk, a random block turned into a bomb, and I knew that if I just moved one character up the other one would be stuck and I'd have to retry, so I actually picked up both controllers at once at this point and moved both of them up... It was pretty crazy.

Thanks. Is the difficulty lower in Pairs, or is the only difference the fact that it ends at a earlier floor?

RedSwirl

So I'm going to start this game tonight, and I've heard how frustrating the puzzles are and how the story is the main draw. Should I just do this on Easy?

That is afterall the difficulty to play if you just want the story, and the second puzzle of the demo (which was on Easy) actually gave me a lot of trouble. What do I miss by playing on Easy?

a bit of a random question, but would you still get the preorder bonuses if you pick this up now? like, are they included with first print copies or given out by retailers based on preorders?

Andrefpvs said:
Thanks. Is the difficulty lower in Pairs, or is the only difference the fact that it ends at a earlier floor?

The difficulty is lower and it ends at an earlier floor. It's much easier than single player, even if you do it by yourself and juggle the two controllers.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Linkzg said:
a bit of a random question, but would you still get the preorder bonuses if you pick this up now? like, are they included with first print copies or given out by retailers based on preorders?
First print.

ULTROS!

Kinda need advice on Obelisk when the floor splits up past 70+, I'm playing on pairs mode though. :/

JEKKI

whoooooo~!!! beat it!!

got Katherine ending... not sure which one tho...

Katherine dance! Katherine dance!! everybody look at your pants!!

anywayzzzzz......

final boss... pain in the ass.

it's seriously the easiest stage ever, except when the camera cuts, u cant see, and either u got killed, a random block crumbles and effs everything up, or all the blocks turn to exploding blocks and causes everything to die...

I really wanted to get Gold rank on it, but the randomness made me say fukk it and just use the checkpoint...

oh well. time to play again!!

cametall

Does anyone else have REALLY low sound on the PS3 version?

I can't hear shit without having the volume really high.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I'm deathly afraid of reading spoilers in this thread.

Top Bottom