• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

LiK

Yoshichan said:
I bought two Love Editions immediately when they were up for pre-orders XD So I had no choice.

But I don't hate the game! Don't get that impression from me... I just said I had such high expectations that I ended up disappointed. It 's not a bad game at all, just a "good" game.

my only gripe is that the game is just way too hard with the timer right from the beginning. the rest is good.

Grisby

ULTROS! said:
2uiwygk.jpg

:p

Kinda looks like a weird hat if you look closely.

Don't get me wrong, I like Katherine more than Catherine but I like Catherine's box art cover more that Katherine's.

Ah, we're just messing about anyways.

That's a nice hat though, ;P (I still don't see it.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Erika ♥ :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LiK said:
I know a Erika (♥) irl so I'll keep spelling it my way!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, I'd totally get an Erica alternative box art.

Yoshichan

ULTROS! said:
Hey, I'd totally have an Erica alternative box art.
I'm on it!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I finished the game a few days ago and loved it. Thanks to the people in this thread that taught me
Inazuma
because I really think it made a huge difference in me finally "getting" the puzzle sections. I would have learned the technique the very next night anyway, but it still helped.

The story did get a little strange towards the end, but when you consider that the Golden Theatre is kind of like Atlus' Twilight Zone, it makes it easier to digest. One gripe I had: the best responses to Catherine never seemed all that positive. With Katherine, your texts could be really sensitive and loving, but with Catherine sometimes the best you could hope for was a curt, non-insulting response.

Anyway, I pretty much immediately started up a new game to get some more endings. I started a new game on Easy since I just want to plow through and get more endings. I was surprised at how much easier the early puzzles feel after beating the game. I thought that it was just because it was on Easy, but I switched to Normal just to see, and I got Golds on the first three stages with no real difficulties.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dragonlife said:
Ass > tits
You lose out then, considering none of the girls in this game really have any. Though this is likely more to Japanese character designs in general not really emphasizing that anyway (see countless anime and JRPG examples).

Yoshichan

XiaNaphryz said:
You lose out then, considering none of the girls in this game really have any. Though this is likely more to Japanese character designs in general not really emphasizing that anyway (see countless anime and JRPG examples).
REALLY now? Did you look at
the pictures Catherine sent you?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

ULTROS!

XiaNaphryz said:
I'm not talking about chest here, I was responding to his stated preference. :p

My bad.

Well... The closest thing to ass is the immoral beast: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lozb5veCIs1qzmitu.jpg

Plus:
that monster is slightly referenced to Catherine and the acts that Vincent has done to her that night that she "never experienced before".

Andrefpvs

Just beat the game for the first time!

Got
bad Lover ending
. Curses!

I saved at the last night at the bar. Can I get a different ending at this point?

KorrZ

Beat the game yesterday. Got the
True Katherine
ending, it was a perfect ending to the story for me. Just how I wanted it to end up. Now I just have to go back and have some fun with Catherine ;).

MoogPaul

You should be able to get 4 endings in one run, 3 in another, and the last one in a third run through. I could be wrong but this is the best route I could come up with.

JWong

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Whelp, got a gold on everything on easy. Might get all the endings now.

Also,
True Catherine ending
is hilarious.
Best ending.

Catherine has a long tongue.
MoogPaul said:
You should be able to get 4 endings in one run, 3 in another, and the last one in a third run through. I could be wrong but this is the best route I could come up with.
Might be able to stay middle until the last few days, then go extreme either side or stay middle without having to play the earlier levels.

totowhoa

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Getting endings should be pretty fast if you skip cutscenes and have golds everywhere, right?

I'd have to imagine so. It doesn't take but a minute to move from nightmare to nightmare. I dunno if that lack of chit-chat with bar/sheep folk may make it more difficult though. Currently blazing through on my second playthrough and my meter certainly isn't moving up as quickly as it was before. Or maybe it is, questions are just re-weighted, and it's all in my head :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sklorenz said:
I'd have to imagine so. It doesn't take but a minute to move from nightmare to nightmare. I dunno if that lack of chit-chat with bar/sheep folk may make it more difficult though. Currently blazing through on my second playthrough and my meter certainly isn't moving up as quickly as it was before. Or maybe it is, questions are just re-weighted, and it's all in my head :p
Skipping nightmares means skipping the landing stuff as well? I have yet to try it. Some of those sheep conversations give you response options that can affect the meter. Same with some of the bar stuff.

Echonov

Neo Member
XiaNaphryz said:
Skipping nightmares means skipping the landing stuff as well? I have yet to try it. Some of those sheep conversations give you response options that can affect the meter. Same with some of the bar stuff.

Nope, it just skips the puzzle and then loads you onto the landing that follows that puzzle. Those confessional questions are important, and if you're going for a specific ending and know what you want to max out, those questions alone are more than enough. You don't really need anything else. I think it still takes about an hour to skip though the entire game this way, skipping every cutscene and puzzle until you get to the final set of cutscenes.

Kolgar

PS3 Love edition came today. GREAT package. And the artwork is really beautiful.

Played the game for three hours on easy because I want to give myself a chance to like the game. ;) So far, it's great. Really dig how unique it is, and the laid-back bar sections are a nice counterbalance to the hectic puzzle sections.

Looking forward to savoring every bit of goodness that's ahead. Though truthfully, it is kind of creepy sometimes.

Hylian7

I just got my second ending, the full Catherine ending.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT! Was not expecting her father, Mutton to be in the bed, or them to already be in another fucking realm! Holy shit! I was half-expecting to see Katherine show up somehow.

Now with that, which one should I go for next? I have this one and the "bad lover" ending.

Edit:
OH GOD THERE WAS MORE AFTER THE CREDITS?!?! Shit this wins craziest ending of the year.

JEKKI

I beat 6-3 and 6-4!!!

got dang all u guys who already beat it and keep posting black text!!!

Ive been playing this game since day 1 and still got ways to go!!!

anyway, the infamous 6-3 was krazy hard lol,

but 6-4 was the easiest stage ever o_O like they're making up for it lol

ULTROS!

Does Babel become easier when doing it with pairs? What happens though?

ULTROS!

iconoclast said:
There are less blocks to climb in pairs. Obelisk ends at 150 or so, instead of 210 in single player.

Wow, apparently the 2-player mode made Babel easier.

So yeah, for those trophy hunters who have 2 controllers, Altar was easy to complete if you play it in pairs (in my case, I switched to two controllers).

Lyonaz

Finished the game yesterday on normal with Katherine's True Ending. Absolutely an amazing game. Loved the story.

Now I need to get some gold trophies to play Babel.

salromano

Finally beat the game on Hard yesterday, Golding every stage.

Stages 9-5 and 9-6 probably took me about 4.5 hrs combined. Glad to have the "Golden Child" trophy, though. Next step: getting all 8 endings.

ULTROS!

salromano said:
Finally beat the game on Hard yesterday, Golding every stage.

Stages 9-5 and 9-6 probably took me about 4.5 hrs combined. Glad to have the "Golden Child" trophy, though. Next step: getting all 8 endings.

9-5 was a pain in the butt compared to 9-6. In fact 9-6 can end up being easy if you memorize it.

Lyonaz said:
Finished the game yesterday on normal with Katherine's True Ending. Absolutely an amazing game. Loved the story.

If I were you, go straight to gold-ing Hard without accessing the retry in the cellphone so you can stop and save your progress.

LiK

Lyonaz said:

I loved the true Kat ending too. I also really liked the normal Kat ending.

salromano

ULTROS! said:
9-5 was a pain in the butt compared to 9-6. In fact 9-6 can end up being easy if you memorize it.

I picked up on 9-6's layout rather quickly. I kept getting f'ed over by meteors and bomb blocks.

Neiteio

So judging from the spoiler-free ending, it looks like the various endings are determined by how you answer the confessional questions in 9-2, 9-3 and 9-4 -- the last level's confessional has no effect -- and this is combined with whether your meter is full or almost full or neutral and whether it's in the red or blue. Correct?

I'm at 7-1 now. Will the visit to the Stray Sheep before 9-2 be the last time at the bar? I ask because I want to know (without being spoiled) if I should make a separate save before leaving the bar for the ninth world, so that I can revisit the beginning of the ninth world and answer the confessionals differently for different endings.

I also see that golding stages allows you to skip them on subsequent playthroughs. Could I take the same eighth-world Stray Sheep save and simply replay the stages through my phone to get gold, and then start a new file, thereby skipping the stages as I try to get the rest of the answers?

Just wondering how this works. AMAZING game. I haven't been this hooked on a game's story since Heavy Rain, and objectively this is far more fresh and original, with way more style and pitch-perfect tone and delivery. And all the symbolism... Damn. Amazing. :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
Just wondering how this works. AMAZING game. I haven't been this hooked on a game's story since Heavy Rain, and objectively this is far more fresh and original, with way more style and pitch-perfect tone and delivery. And all the symbolism... Damn. Amazing. :)

You can keep a save on the
landing before the 9-2 confessional. You can keep a save at the bar from the night before and proceed to Gold all the Stage 9 floors. Once all the Stage 9 floors are Golded, you can skip those puzzles from the 9-2 confessional save after you've gotten your first ending.

LiK

Neiteio said:
Erm, I'm only on 7-1, would it spoil anything to highlight your response to what I said?
It's spoilerish. Altho it appears people are not spoiler tagging the later levels chapters here.

Neiteio

LiK said:
It's spoilerish.
Argh, why do people respond with 100-percent spoiler answers to people who haven't beaten the game yet? -_- Luckily, while I did hit Quote to reply to him, all I saw was the word "gold" before quickly backing out. I do NOT want this story spoiled. Like I said, it's Heavy Rain gripping... which is VERY gripping... and which has me worried that like Heavy Rain, all the mystery will be gone when it's over.

Without spoiling anything, would the people who have beat this game say there's still an element of mystery once you beat the game? I'm at 7-1, and I'm hoping it's like Pan's Labyrinth where they don't explain everything outright, but if you read between the lines you can deduce a great deal. That's how the game has been so far (it would appear), and I hope it continues the trend.

LiK

Neiteio said:
Argh, why do people respond with 100-percent spoiler answers to people who haven't beaten the game yet? -_- Luckily, while I did hit Quote to reply to him, all I saw was the word "gold" before quickly backing out. I do NOT want this story spoiled. Like I said, it's Heavy Rain gripping... which is VERY gripping... and which has me worried that like Heavy Rain, all the mystery will be gone when it's over.

Without spoiling anything, would the people who have beat this game say there's still an element of mystery once you beat the game? I'm at 7-1, and I'm hoping it's like Pan's Labyrinth where they don't explain everything outright, but if you read between the lines you can deduce a great deal. That's how the game has been so far (it would appear), and I hope it continues the trend.
It's not story spoilerish but in terms of the level structure, it might be. Don't worry.

Top Bottom