• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Neiteio

Man I can't wait to play this game again. The reveal with a certain you-know-who after 8-1 was m-m-m-mindblowing!

Glad I kept a save after the seventh world... Love the cutscenes before and after 8-1. They made it well-worth the monstrous frustration of the seventh world.

Frustrating. Yet so addicting. "Just one more try!"

Erigu

TheExodu5 said:
This. Demon's Souls is unforgiving, but not incredibly difficult.
Guess it depends on people... I got annoyed with Demon's Souls after one day, whereas I cleared Catherine in one or two sittings.

I actually beat Demon's Souls about 4 times and generally it wasn't too difficult for me once I got going. I had some difficulty beating the demo for Catherine though. That could be sign of things to come.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rhazer Fusion said:
So what's harder? This or Demon's Souls? :p

Demon's Souls isn't really hard if you're patient. I didn't find Catherine to be that hard on Normal either, though. Babel >>> anything in Demon's Souls, not really comparable games either way.

JWong

Banned
LiK said:
there's Very Easy mode too.
Really?

I had a bit of trouble with Easy mode, but the rewind feature really makes it too easy.

Rewind basically exploits parts of the game, like traps and the random blocks.

LiK

mileS said:
that kind of falls apart when its a secret IMO.
*edit* oh wait its in the manual? sigh.. I feel all kinds of stupid

i didn't even know about it until after i beat the game and was checking on how to get some missed cheevos/trophies. i rarely read the manuals.

JWong said:
Really?

I had a bit of trouble with Easy mode, but the rewind feature really makes it too easy.

Rewind basically exploits parts of the game, like traps and the random blocks.

i don't recommend it for your first playthrough. i tried it during my 2nd playthrough and it makes the game stupid easy with an item they gave you.

Yeah, that timer in he demo did make it harder because you had to think so fast. I'll probably try this game out sooner or later. I did like the demo. I just have such a heft backlog at the moment.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I thought the game wasn't that hard until you've played Hard mode.

Playing it on easy helps, then going through normal would be a piece of cake.

This game is much harder to complete than Demon's Souls. They're not even in the same league.

*complete = Gold prizes on Hard & finishing Babel & Rapunzel

Neiteio

I actually tried accessing Very Easy when I first started the game and wasn't able to trigger it. You just hover over Easy on the difficulty menu on the Title Screen and hold Select until you hear a chime, right? I tried this and never heard a chime. :-\

What item does Very Easy give you, anyway?

LiK

Neiteio said:
I actually tried accessing Very Easy when I first started the game and wasn't able to trigger it. You just hover over Easy on the difficulty menu on the Title Screen and hold Select until you hear a chime, right? I tried this and never heard a chime. :-\

What item does Very Easy give you, anyway?
You hold select in the screen where you choose story or babel etc. There will be a chime and flash of white and the white box beneath Cat will say "Very Easy mode activated" in pink. It gives you
Bottle that allows you to climb three blocks at a time.

Neiteio

LiK said:
You hold select in the screen where you choose story or babel etc. There will be a chime and flash of white and the white box beneath Cat will say "Very Easy mode activated" in pink. It gives you
Bottle that allows you to climb three blocks at a time.
Whoa. Is the item unlimited use? Or do you get it once every level? Either way, that's amazing.

If my game's already underway, is there a way to activate Very Easy if I hit a snag? And will I still be able to go back to regular Easy afterward?

LiK

Neiteio said:
Whoa. Is the item unlimited use? Or do you get it once every level? Either way, that's amazing.

If my game's already underway, is there a way to activate Very Easy if I hit a snag? And will I still be able to go back to regular Easy afterward?
It randomly pops up during the nightmares. But they give you plenty during each puzzle.

Just like any other difficulty, you can only change it in the Stray Sheep if you're above Easy. If you load up during a nightmare landing, you can't access it. Not sure if it works during a landing if you're on easy already.

Just started this last night. So far, so good. Although, it is the first game in ages to frustrate me into restarting on Easy mode (after getting stuck on the second stage). Not even Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Vanquish managed that. So far Easy mode is too easy, though... I was glad to find out the difficulty can be adjusted in-game between levels, so I may give Normal another shot now that I've gained my bearings and gotten used to the basic mechanics and techniques of the game.

Worth mentioning is that I'm a little disappointed with the localization. On the voice acting side, Troy Baker is pretty good as Vincent, but just about everyone else's reads have that "anime dub acting" affectation (or lack thereof) wherein they sound conspicuously like they're reading lines off a script. It's not terrible, but given that I'd heard Atlus USA was re-animating the lip flaps to give the VAs more freedom with their dialogue, I was expecting better. Speaking of which, some of the lip-synching is jarringly bad, which given the above fact is especially difficult to forgive. Most of all, though, the localized script is pretty weak; it's full of flat, awkward, overly Japanese-sounding dialogue that feels like it was carried over far too literally, and with much too little tact, from the original. Given that this game is supposed to have a generally more mature and realistic tone than Persona, all of these shortcomings, while not massive, feel much more jarring than they would in a more over-the-top, shonen-y game (like Persona). I'll see if the quality of the script, voice acting, etc. gets better, worse or stays the same as I progress through the game. (I'm on the third stage now.)

CatPee

I think Very Easy only works when you're in Easy. I tried it while I was in Normal on NG+ and it didn't work. After switching it back to Easy though, those 3-step Energy Drinks started appearing.

Neiteio

To the guy a couple posts above: Are we playing the same game? I can't bring myself to watch 99 percent of anime precisely because I can't stand the localizations, voice acting and lip synching, but Catherine is nothing like those, and instead feels like a note-perfect American drama. The scenes where Orlando and Vincent talk in the bathroom, in particular, come to mind as genuine brilliance in timing, delivery, intonation, nuance, etc. The quality is consistently great across the board... The only person who ever sounded flat was Johnny, but his low tone quickly becomes apparent as natural to who he is as a character, namely, a steely introvert. It's fantastic. I'm up through 8-1 right now, just saw some stunning revelations, and I have to say in all this time the only exchange that every sounded anime-esque was the brief "chest hair" fib (you know the part, and I spoil nothing by alluding). This game's translation is great.

I guess we'll have to disagree on that one. The localization is decent, but nothing special. If you want to see just how good an English localization of Japanese media can be, check out the dub for the anime movie Summer Wars.

cj_iwakura said:
I'd say this game is about on par with Demon's Souls. Because when you learn what to do, it becomes cake. And fun.

Catherine, even on easy, is drastically more difficult than Demon's Souls. I put it more in the range of NES Ninja Gaiden.

i haven't done babel yet, but it's pretty easy to go through catherine with a guide on any setting. you can't cheat that way in DS, even if you're playing with a guide, you have to beat the game by yourself.

i agree catherine is though if you're playing without cheating. i don't usually play these kind of puzzle games with blocks, that's why "normal" is already a decent challenge for me. it's hard to compare these games anyway, because catherine doesn't have just one balanced difficulty level, it's spread out by options. genre is a different story.

gatotsu911 said:
Worth mentioning is that I'm a little disappointed with the localization. On the voice acting side, Troy Baker is pretty good as Vincent, but just about everyone else's reads have that "anime dub acting" affectation (or lack thereof) wherein they sound conspicuously like they're reading lines off a script. It's not terrible, but given that I'd heard Atlus USA was re-animating the lip flaps to give the VAs more freedom with their dialogue, I was expecting better. Speaking of which, some of the lip-synching is jarringly bad, which given the above fact is especially difficult to forgive. Most of all, though, the localized script is pretty weak; it's full of flat, awkward, overly Japanese-sounding dialogue that feels like it was carried over far too literally, and with much too little tact, from the original. Given that this game is supposed to have a generally more mature and realistic tone than Persona, all of these shortcomings, while not massive, feel much more jarring than they would in a more over-the-top, shonen-y game (like Persona). I'll see if the quality of the script, voice acting, etc. gets better, worse or stays the same as I progress through the game. (I'm on the third stage now.)

i have to agree. katherine sounds very flat in some scenes and her facial expression doesn't match with what she's saying sometimes. one scene at the bar, with vince and kat felt strange because of that. they were both moaning awkwardly for the full duration, i was wondering what went wrong there. i didn't get the impression that they were talking to each other.

Neiteio

Just finished the game, getting the True Katherine ending. Absolutely loved the story from start to finish. Simply brilliant. :)

LiK

I think Demons Souls and Catherine have shown whether we're puzzlers or fighters. Looks like I'm a fighter cuz trying to figure out puzzles under pressure ain't my strength. I'm just glad they added in Very Easy do I can replay for the endings without frustration.

I started up Hard earlier and went through stages 1 through 8, getting the gold medal on each level. It wasn't too tough actually, there were only a few areas that I got really stuck on. Thankfully there's very little randomness in the story, so you just have to stop and think for a while in order to solve something.

Gonna do the final stage later today and then start going through Rapunzel.

Ok so I beat Catherine on normal this morning. The funny thing is I noticed it was 5:30 a.m when I did so ahaha.

spoiler:
obviously this was pure coincidence but still it was the time Vincent woke up from his most demanding trials

I appreciate that playing the game has reminded me I'm still good at puzzles. It's been ages so I definitely surprised myself on occasion. I was really taken aback when I had those moments of clarity under the gun and solved those puzzles.

Probably going to use easy to get the opposite ending and play Rapunzel for all the songs.

Most importantly though Catherine has to be the most adult game I've had the pleasure of playing. These days it's had to feel like I'm being presented material that makes me think about my life and such be it subtly or overtly.

end game spoiler

I don't know what Toby's tripping over but all the conversations make sense now. I just thought she was super loose back in the day or something. He still slept with a woman but his explanation of things being weird still seemed I don't know...a cop out.

f@#$ing blocks I climbed the s@#$ out of you!

orion434

iconoclast said:
I started up Hard earlier and went through stages 1 through 8, getting the gold medal on each level. It wasn't too tough actually, there were only a few areas that I got really stuck on. Thankfully there's very little randomness in the story, so you just have to stop and think for a while in order to solve something.

Gonna do the final stage later today and then start going through Rapunzel.

Are the "Hard" stages different level-layouts? I'm having no problem going through Normal... got a Gold Statue on 3/4 of the first 4 days. Totally abusing the "undo" trick and stocking up on pillows ( intentionally restarting a level from the beginning after acquiring 2 pillows ) got something like 85 of them.

Going for the "Lawful" Endings first... my wife has taken to liking the story, has given me a glare or two in the confesional booths. Like I better answer "Beginning of your life" in regards to marriage.

rayner said:
Are the "Hard" stages different level-layouts? I'm having no problem going through Normal... got a Gold Statue on 3/4 of the first 4 days. Totally abusing the "undo" trick and stocking up on pillows ( intentionally restarting a level from the beginning after acquiring 2 pillows ) got something like 85 of them.

Going for the "Lawful" Endings first... my wife has taken to liking the story, has given me a glare or two in the confesional booths. Like I better answer "Beginning of your life" in regards to marriage.

Yeah, the Hard stages are entirely (?) different, and they don't allow you to use undo. For some of the tougher stages, you basically have to memorize the path from start to finish in order to keep your combo. The gold requirements are a lot more strict as well - you basically need to combo the entire stage and collect every coin. There's still a little bit of breathing room for mistakes, but not much. If you mess up you have to retry from beginning (if you want the gold).

It sounds tough, but after you go through Normal and spend time in Babel, you'll probably be familiar enough with the different techniques to progress through it without too many roadblocks.

orion434

iconoclast said:
Yeah, the Hard stages are entirely (?) different, and they don't allow you to use undo. For some of the tougher stages, you basically have to memorize the path from start to finish in order to keep your combo. The gold requirements are a lot more strict as well - you basically need to combo the entire stage and collect every coin. There's still a little bit of breathing room for mistakes, but not much. If you mess up you have to retry from beginning (if you want the gold).

It sounds tough, but after you go through Normal and spend time in Babel, you'll probably be familiar enough with the different techniques to progress through it without too many roadblocks.

Yeah, and I've seen links to some really good videos to get a perfect on each stage... don't really want to do that, gonna try on my own. Back in the day I mastered Intelligent Cube and I love block puzzle games like this... and the story is really intriguing

iconoclast said:

Question on Babel, I'll unlock ll the stages only if I gold harder difficulties?

ironcreed

Banned
The demo did nothing for me the first time I played it, now I find it completely and utterly refreshing. This game will be a good remedy for the wall of monotony I just hit with shooters, which is far worse than the usual case of burnout. I'll be Gameflying this one for sure.

Top Bottom