• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Got the Platinum trophy... Ugh, Rapunzel is the worst thing ever.

EDIT: Just wanted to say in this post that I love this game and that everything other than Rapunzel is an amazing experience and I am really quite pleased with Catherine.

My Rapunzel fatigue is in no way indicative of my feelings on the game as a whole :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
StunandStab said:

Congrats! I envy you.

Hopefully I can deal with Axis Mundi.

StunandStab said:
I would like Rapunzel a whole lot more if it only had like 20 stages, instead of a million. I'm just youtubing my way through this shit now.

iconoclast said:
I would like Rapunzel a whole lot more if it only had like 20 stages, instead of a million. I'm just youtubing my way through this shit now.

Yeah, I feel the same. 20 stages would be a lot better than 128... I youtubed through most of the latter half of the extra stages. It's just too time consuming to figure all of them out and I just wanted to be done with it.

As much as Rapunzel burnt me out, though, Catherine is an awesome game! I really loved this game

ULTROS! said:
Congrats! I envy you.

Hopefully I can deal with Axis Mundi.

Still stuck on Axis Mundi, ULTROS!?
Hmm, I'm not sure there's anything I can say that would help you.
Good luck in completing it, hopefully you get it soon!

Gravijah

This game is starting to break my sanity. On the second part of Stage 6 and it just gets harder and harder.

Edit: -cries- I can get halfway up, before the checkpoint, but I still can't figure out what in the hell to do next.

Gravijah said:
This game is starting to break my sanity. On the second part of Stage 6 and it just gets harder and harder.

Edit: -cries- I can get halfway up, before the checkpoint, but I still can't figure out what in the hell to do next.

Stage 6 is just brutal on hard, i've spent the last day and a half trawling through it and I still have to do that cheap arse boss...

Gravijah

kyo_daikun said:
Stage 6 is just brutal on hard, i've spent the last day and a half trawling through it and I still have to do that cheap arse boss...

I can't even imagine it on hard. I've gotten to the last part of 6-2 and now I'm stumped yet again.

Gravijah said:
I can't even imagine it on hard. I've gotten to the last part of 6-2 and now I'm stumped yet again.

I messed up the end of 6-2 at least 10 times plus yesterday, rage almost overtook me, the boss on this stage is also cheapness personified, warning you in advance.

the second to last boss is such a random piece of shit. doing this without checkpoints is worse than strapping yourself onto a rack. this and the level before it make the whole last level section very unenjoyable.

kyo_daikun said:
Seriously? I just have three more stages to gold on Hard and I actually thought Stage 6 was pretty easy. So far, none of the stages have really given me trouble. I actually think Stage 6 is easier get a gold ranking in Hard mode than on Normal. Eventually you'll just end up passing a wall and you'll breeze through the levels.

Augemitbutter said:
the second to last boss is such a random piece of shit. doing this without checkpoints is worse than strapping yourself onto a rack. this and the level before it make the whole last level section very unenjoyable.
Every boss has its share of problems when it comes to random shit that can kill you. My only advice is to not rush too much when there are objects that can kill you.

iconoclast said:

Great playlist by that XVCWiiwhatever guy on YT.

A tip for people who are burned out on Rapunzel and want to get it over with:

- copy the playlist URL from YT into a batch DL-program like Free Youtube Download 3.

- download all Rapunzel movies in one folder

- use media player of choice, play all movies in order with playback speed of about 75%, while playing the game on another monitor/TV closeby. This way you can follow along nicely with the videos.

- Should be able to complete 64 stages in about two hours tops. Do it again and you're set :-D

Now for those assy Babel stages. Pairs is hard for me as well and my CoD-friends don't understand shit of this game so that's not gonna help either :-(. My goal will be to get the plat eventually though.

MiniKelly

Embarassed to say that I play on very easy and still manage to get stuck or die.
Im playing it just for the story. The last few stages are insane.
Im watching youtube walkthrough videos now.

StevePharma said:
Great playlist by that XVCWiiwhatever guy on YT.

A tip for people who are burned out on Rapunzel and want to get it over with:

- copy the playlist URL from YT into a batch DL-program like Free Youtube Download 3.

- download all Rapunzel movies in one folder

- use media player of choice, play all movies in order with playback speed of about 75%, while playing the game on another monitor/TV closeby. This way you can follow along nicely with the videos.

- Should be able to complete 64 stages in about two hours tops. Do it again and you're set :-D

Now for those assy Babel stages. Pairs is hard for me as well and my CoD-friends don't understand shit of this game so that's not gonna help either :-(. My goal will be to get the plat eventually though.

I'm trying to plat this as well, man Babel is owning me hard, and Obelisk has many random elements that will throw you off your game. At least the music is really good, I still like it even after the zillionth time hearing it, haha.

Hopefully I'll finish it today. First playthrough on normal and managed to get through most of it on the weekend. Probably would have been able to finish it if I didn't waste some time on a couple of Rapunzel stages. Would have loved to get this game earlier so you know I could keep playing it because it seems a lot of fun. But with games are starting to come out this week unfortunately I won't be able to.

Sometimes I wish this game was an RPG instead of mind numbing puzzler.

I can't even remember the techniques and somehow made it to level 3.

At least the story is interesting.

From what I can tell is that you just have to keep playing the game. Kind of like grinding in an RPG except here it's pattern recognition and memorization. Eventually it just comes together in your mind or you figure out new tricks.

Techniques point out the things you can do in this game you might not have thought of but it really starts to work when you do them often enough that it becomes second nature.

It's kind of like a rubics cube I guess where the are specific patterns and formulas for aranging the colors so you don't try to find a solution all at once but just solve it one part a time until you get to the end.

Edit: Hell I didn't even figure out why some blocks stayed up while others fell until stage 6 or something, on normal.

Lostconfused said:
Hell I didn't even figure out why some blocks stayed up while others fell until stage 6 or something, on normal.

Seriously? Edge is one of the most basic and important mechanics in the entire game.

Fimbulvetr said:
Seriously? Edge is one of the most basic and important mechanics in the entire game.
Completely serious. They game kept repeating blocks connect at edges non stop that I didn't realize they still have to be supported, so I was surprised that some of the blocks kept falling. Yup that's how dumb I am, still managed to get through a good portion of the game before realizing that.

MiniKelly

Im a casual gamer and I like to take my time figuring the puzzles. So I like all the stages where I can take my time. I hate boss stages. Makes me want to rage everytime I get killed.

RedSwirl

Got stuck on a puzzle - 3rd night torture chamber 1st floor. Lost all my lives before the first checkpoint and gave up for now. Plus I'm not at a point where I can turn down the difficulty.

RedSwirl

Lostconfused said:
From what I can tell is that you just have to keep playing the game. Kind of like grinding in an RPG except here it's pattern recognition and memorization. Eventually it just comes together in your mind or you figure out new tricks.
...and that's why I'm not enjoying the puzzles.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Beating the Ice Bride was so satisfying. I missed the checkpoint because I was on the wrong side so it was a mad dash to the top.

The thing with the puzzles in this game is that there's usually only one spot that needs to be pushed through early on, and then the rest of the level feels easy.

Rez said:
The thing with the puzzles in this game is that there's usually only one spot that needs to be pushed through early on, and then the rest of the level feels easy.
That's because that one section is something that is completely unfamiliar to you, so you have to spend a few minutes wrapping your head around it. Trying to figure out a solution. At least that's how it was for me. After that you are back to the usual tricks.

Himself

Haven't finished the game yet, but question: Can you continue to play Rapunzel from the title screen or something after you beat the game?

Minamu

Just beat the game :D Had to use youtube for maybe 5 levels/sections. 40 deaths in the same spots is not okay and I hate feeling frustrated :p Got the neutral freedom ending. I picked the answers I would've if I had been in the same situation. Not sure what that says about my love life xD

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Himself said:
Haven't finished the game yet, but question: Can you continue to play Rapunzel from the title screen or something after you beat the game?
Just load any save in the bar, and when you go to the arcade machine it'll be set to free play.

Neiteio

Zerokku said:
Haha, didn't figure that out until like 2/3 of the way through the game myself.
Did you not notice the wooden spikes shattering once deployed? :)

Love the avatar, btw (Pikachu posing as Weedle).

Neiteio

Lostconfused said:
I don't fucking believe it, this game will just not end.
If only that were the case. :-\ Upon finishing it, I felt the sort of wistful sadness one feels after reading a great novel. But it had to end at some point, I suppose.

Neiteio said:
If only that were the case. :-\ Upon finishing it, I felt the sort of wistful sadness one feels after reading a great novel. But it had to end at some point, I suppose.
Maybe after an editor got through it with some pruning shears.

Fimbulvetr said:
Are you on the Empireo?

It has 6 stages.
Pretty sure I was ready for this game to end like 3 or 4 hours ago.

I still like this game but this is the exact same problem I had with Sakura Wars. Dragging out the finale for hours does not do the game any favors.

Neiteio

Lostconfused said:
Pretty sure I was ready for this game to end like 3 or 4 hours ago.

I still like this game but this is the exact same problem I had with Sakura Wars. Dragging out the finale for hours does not do the game any favors.
...I finished the last world in like an hour or two. I was playing on Easy, though, so I suppose that helped. Wonderful finale. :)

Neiteio said:
...I finished the last world in like an hour or two. I was playing on Easy, though, so I suppose that helped. Wonderful finale. :)
A bit less than three hours here. Started the final world at 7 and the end credits finished just now.

Got Good Katherine end. Kind of middle of the road but not middle of the road to be really middle of the road. Which in my opinion is even more middling than anything else but whatever. Maybe I'll see the other endings in six months, about the time when I play this game again.

Neiteio

Lostconfused said:
A bit less than three hours here. Started the final world at 7 and the end credits finished just now.

Got Good Katherine end. Kind of middle of the road but not middle of the road to be really middle of the road. Which in my opinion is even more middling than anything else but whatever. Maybe I'll see the other endings in six months, about the time when I play this game again.
Yeah, the Good Katherine ending, while emotionally uplifting for those vested in the characters, was tame, I suppose, or "middle of the road" as you put it. If you want something far out there, though -- so far out there you can't even see it at the end of the road -- just hunker down and watch the True Catherine ending right now. It's fittingly humorous for people who chose chaos over order...

SRG01

Neiteio said:
Yeah, the Good Katherine ending, while emotionally uplifting for those vested in the characters, was tame, I suppose, or "middle of the road" as you put it. If you want something far out there, though -- so far out there you can't even see it at the end of the road -- just hunker down and watch the True Catherine ending right now. It's fittingly humorous for people who chose chaos over order...

True Catherine is the troll ending, haha.

Neiteio said:
Ha, so true. The people who picked the answers necessary to get True Catherine probably had trollfaces. XD

"I can't wait to see Vincent fail in the bad ending."

*gets best ending instead*

"It's.... beautiful."

RedSwirl

Okay so you know those puzzles that sometimes show up in games where you switch stuff around and you have to think like 12 moves ahead? I hate those. Whenever I get to them I just mash buttons until they solve themselves. Catherine is that, but in the form of an entire game. It is the game that I would be forced to play in hell.

SRG01

RedSwirl said:
Okay so you know those puzzles that sometimes show up in games where you switch stuff around and you have to think like 12 moves ahead? I hate those. Whenever I get to them I just mash buttons until they solve themselves. Catherine is that, but in the form of an entire game. It is the game that I would be forced to play in hell.

If you're playing that way, you're doing playing the game wrong. The game is ridiculously simple with only a handful of moves you really need to know. Everything else is secondary.

Some person mentioned in an old thread that Catherine was an action game. I would definitely say it's an action puzzle game.

Top Bottom