• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

SRG01 said:
If you're playing that way, you're doing playing the game wrong. The game is ridiculously simple with only a handful of moves you really need to know. Everything else is secondary.

Some person mentioned in an old thread that Catherine was an action game. I would definitely say it's an action puzzle game.
I have to agree, you done fucked up friend. If you have to plan 4 or 5 moves ahead you screwed up or missed something. Trial and error works very well especially since you have the undo button even in normal mode.

Neiteio

Just got gold on Normal on the fourth world. Ultimately, I think it would be cool to get golds on all the worlds and then on a second playthrough of the story make "bookmark" saves for each of the chapters, so I can jump between them freely, viewing the cutscenes and soaking up the dialogue. There are 12 save files, so this would work nicely for nine nights, a couple final boss saves, and a "new game" file.

One question, though: Is there ever a point in the game where you replay worlds 8 and 9 through the cell phone?

sephi22

Neiteio said:
One question, though: Is there ever a point in the game where you replay worlds 8 and 9 through the cell phone?
Once you finish the game, you can play any world any time from the cell phone on a new playthrough.

For eg: I finished by Normal playthrough (Bronze in all), then started a Hard playthrough. Right when I can first access the cellphone, I can replay all the worlds for Hard through it. This way I can get gold in all the worlds, then skip them when I encounter them in the story.

totowhoa

Banned
Lostconfused said:
I have to agree, you done fucked up friend. If you have to plan 4 or 5 moves ahead you screwed up or missed something. Trial and error works very well especially since you have the undo button even in normal mode.

Have fun with Hard Mode. Camera stick comes in real handy :p It took so much getting used to.. No Undo is killer.

JEKKI

whoo~!!! beat the game again!!!

and then beat it again and again!!

Im all gold now so I can skip for days!!!

anywayz... I didnt have enough meter to get True Catherine,

but I got all the other endings u could get when u red!!

so now to get the rest of the endings I needa playthru it 3 more times?!?!

aye!!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm among the sheep now just like StunandStab:

wjfmmv.jpg

sephi22

ULTROS! said:
I'm among the sheep now just like StunandStab:
You motherlover

I've done everything but Babel. Did Altar by using two controllers by myself (yeah)
I'm screwed in Obelisk, Mehnir and Axis aren't I?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
sephi22 said:
You motherlover

I've done everything but Babel. Did Altar by using two controllers by myself (yeah)
I'm screwed in Obelisk, Mehnir and Axis aren't I?

Yeah, I did the entire Babel on 2 controllers.

If you can do the final stages straight without a guide, you can do Babel... In pairs.

Yeahhhh finished and got
True Catherine. I just guessed my answers, figured true ending would want me to be as chaotic as possible. Had to look it up to see if I got true ending or not.
Spent an entire night on 6-3 but around 7-2 everything just clicked and got through the rest pretty easily (also went from stage 5 in Rapunzel to like 20-ish in one night lol).

Just read up on the Catherine endings and seems like it's similar to Persona where
if you get the True Ending there's not much point to get the good or bad endings, especially since the True Ending is good ending + another scene. I think I will try for True Katherine on my next playthrough and youtube the rest.
Actually it was striking how closely this game resembled Persona in so many ways, I'll post about it later it's late :3

Andrefpvs

vicissitudes said:
Just read up on the Catherine endings and seems like it's similar to Persona where
if you get the True Ending there's not much point to get the good or bad endings, especially since the True Ending is good ending + another scene. I think I will try for True Katherine on my next playthrough and youtube the rest.

Just a heads-up, this doesn't apply to Katherine.

robot

For those who have finished, are the endings better in either direction of the meter? Is that what ultimately decides the ending?

robot said:
For those who have finished, are the endings better in either direction of the meter? Is that what ultimately decides the ending?

Its a mixture of the Law/chaos bar and the answers you give to certain questions in the last chapter of the game.

Im on chapter 8 on hard now, getting gold on chapter 7 was laughably easy compared to the nightmare of chapter 6...

orion434

Finished the game last night and got 4 of the endings so far, I did Gold on Normal on my first playthrough to save me some time. I had a few snags with controls in the later stages... especially with that Purple block that instant-kills you by sucking you in.

Also: On Day 8
The stage where you have to bring Katherine with you through the Nightmare... so many times she was just standing there for a lightning bolt to kill her... and I didn't tell her to wait. It was like she's standing on the square... then it turns red, no obstacles or anything... then BAM! I had to restart... so annoying

Go_Ly_Dow

Questions regarding the endings.

I just got the "True Lover Ending". (completed it on easy)

Is there a spoiler-free guide around for obtaining the other endings?

I also made alternative saves for the final questions asked in the confessional. Will this help?

Is it definitely worth going for the other endings and how time consuming/difficult is it?

Thanks.

orion434

M_Night said:
Questions regarding the endings.

I just got the "True Lover Ending". (completed it on easy)

Is there a spoiler-free guide around for obtaining the other endings?

I also made alternative saves for the final questions asked in the confessional. Will this help?

Is it definitely worth going for the other endings and how time consuming/difficult is it?

Thanks.
This is pretty much spoiler free... doesn't mention the questions in the Cathedral either.

Catherine Endings

Nose Master

I really wanted to like this game, I really did. I'm ass at visual puzzles (especially in 3D space), so it's obnoxious. The time limit feels so unnecessary.

I'm having trouble deciding between the Xbox and Ps3 versions of this game. While I prefer the PS3's d-pad, I'll always take achievements over trophies. Is there much of a difference between the two?

the chris

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm having trouble deciding between the Xbox and Ps3 versions of this game. While I prefer the PS3's d-pad, I'll always take achievements over trophies. Is there much of a difference between the two?
As far as I've heard there is compression on the anime cutscenes for the game that are noticeable on the Xbox.

Andrefpvs

Jimmy Stav said:

You'll be needing good d-pad accuracy. Trust me.
ICE BLOOOOOOOOOOOOCKS D:

Neiteio

Where's a good place to find high-res artwork of this game? In particular, I'd love high-res art of the screen on the XMB when you have this game in the disc drive. (The pic with Vincent's face in the foreground, all dark save for his eyes, and Catherine spread eagle behind him, and Katherine standing side profile in the background.)

JEKKI

Gravijah said:
Fuck you final boss. FUCK YOU.
I know a trick to that boss...

when it tries to shoot you, stand in front of an empty space,

that way when it aims u shoots after u move out of the way, you will not have a block destroyed,

which is seriously the hardest thing to deal with in that stage since it can screw up your level real bad...

ULTROS! said:
Yeah, I did the entire Babel on 2 controllers.

If you can do the final stages straight without a guide, you can do Babel... In pairs.

Congrats ULTROS! Ah man, I've gotta try even harder now! Obelisk is owning me because of random jank demoralizing me hard.

And hey, whats up with this 2 controller/pairs thing?

ULTROS!

StunandStab said:
Congrats, ULTROS!

Was completing Axis Mundi the last thing you needed to do?

Yeah. I redid it a number of times and I just reached the 60th and 70th. At then finally, I reached the final area at 160+.

SRG01

Andrefpvs said:
You'll be needing good d-pad accuracy. Trust me.
ICE BLOOOOOOOOOOOOCKS D:

I used the d-pad for the entire game. I didn't even realize I could use the stick until I randomly used it in the Stray Sheep.

SRG01 said:
I used the d-pad for the entire game. I didn't even realize I could use the stick until I randomly used it in the Stray Sheep.
Madness. Outside of the actual puzzle stages themselves the d-pad is awful. Hell I even use the stick to move around the backside of blocks in puzzle stages.

ULTROS!

The ice blocks ain't bad. The horrible ones are the cracked blocks and the random blocks.

They're the worst blocks ever.

ULTROS! said:
The ice blocks ain't bad. The horrible ones are the cracked blocks and the random blocks.

They're the worst blocks ever.
Ice blocks aren't bad. Making an entire level out of ice blocks is some comic book type villainy.

I really wish I had the time to play this game some more. Also random blocks are a non issue on anything that isn't hard.

CatPee

Lostconfused said:
Madness. Outside of the actual puzzle stages themselves the d-pad is awful. Hell I even use the stick to move around the backside of blocks in puzzle stages.

Madness. The game is entirely digital, so there's no point in using the sticks.

Did you play on 360?

CatPee said:
Madness. The game is entirely digital, so there's no point in using the sticks.

Did you play on 360?
Nope, ps3. My mind can't possibly understand how right and left movement works with the dpad while hanging of the backside of the blocks. Easier to just hold the stick in the direction I want Vincent to move.

mattp

i cant believe anyone played the puzzles with an analog stick...

i used the sticks for walking around the bar and landings between stages though

JEKKI

grrrr started playing Hard. Already beat the first two nights...

no Undo is killing me... I've been dropping combos like a mugg...

I swear even tho I can figure out what to do, I always seem to run out of time or make a stupid execution mistake that makes me run out of time.

it seems like memorization is the only skill necessary to get all Gold on Hard :(

orion434

mattp said:
i cant believe anyone played the puzzles with an analog stick...

i used the sticks for walking around the bar and landings between stages though

I used the analog stick for most of the game... then I got to the Purple death blocks and then I started using the d-pad.

ULTROS!

cj_iwakura said:
Detonators are the worst if you have cracked blocks nearby.

They ruin everything.

I forgot about the detonators. The fucking blocks gave me a hard time on
9-5

By the way, for fun, why not have a Platinum/1000G Club on the OP post? :p

Mergesort

JEKKI said:
grrrr started playing Hard. Already beat the first two nights...

no Undo is killing me... I've been dropping combos like a mugg...

I swear even tho I can figure out what to do, I always seem to run out of time or make a stupid execution mistake that makes me run out of time.

it seems like memorization is the only skill necessary to get all Gold on Hard :(

Thats going to be crazy work without youtube! You need to be perfect at climbing, no time to think about any moves.

NNNGGGGGGHHHHHHHH, damn it I can't get over this game. If this doesn't stop before I finish El Shaddai, I just might try to do a playthrough on hard before Deus Ex comes out.

Zafir

I only used the analog stick because my subconcious kept on moving my thumb back onto the stick. I use the analog stick in everything else, and so it's become like an habit. Every time I tried to use the dpad, my thumb would just shift back to using the analog stick. Actually I didn't have much trouble using the analog stick really. Even on ice.

I'm really torn between this and El Shaddai. I'm probably more intrigued by Catherine, and I thought the demo was very fun, but I'm not looking forward to its increasingly frustrating puzzles. I'm not very good at puzzles.

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm really torn between this and El Shaddai. I'm probably more intrigued by Catherine, and I thought the demo was very fun, but I'm not looking forward to its increasingly frustrating puzzles. I'm not very good at puzzles.
My final save on normal clocked in around 16 or 17 hours on normal. You can probably shave an hour or two off that if because I left the game on pause a few times.

I would say that El Shaddai from an hour or two that I played is overall a more mellow and easy going experience. Both games are trippy and insane but one deals with religion the other deals with real life issues.

Just got my 1000/1000. I had a few problems with the game, but I still enjoyed it a lot (it'll be on my GotY list for sure). I'm glad to be done with it though.

sleepykyo

Just finished the game on easy. How do I get a new game plus if there is one? Also as someone who had difficulty on easy, should I replay it again on easy for a while or suck it up and advance to normal?

Top Bottom