• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Nix

Banned
I'm on like the 6th night, with only 4 hours or so eclipsed. I think I'm ranging in the blue alot. Can I get all of the endings this playthrough or no?

Mergesort

Nix said:
I'm on like the 6th night, with only 4 hours or so eclipsed. I think I'm ranging in the blue alot. Can I get all of the endings this playthrough or no?
No you need to finish the game atleast 3 times.

sleepykyo said:
Just finished the game on easy. How do I get a new game plus if there is one? Also as someone who had difficulty on easy, should I replay it again on easy for a while or suck it up and advance to normal?

Yeah just start playing on normal, easy is a bit too easy in my opinion, nothing really happens new game plus wise, all you can do is get a different ending and skip nightmare levels which you have got gold on previously (has to be the same difficulty tho, so any easy levels you got gold on will have to be replayed in normal)

Im on 9-2 on hard, not long now till I try and do the other 3 babel levels then i'll be platinumed.

JEKKI

man oh man Hard mode in intense.

already got the first 4 stages all Gold!!

I dont even kno what Babel looks like yet...

Gravijah

So... Am I the only one who has constantly been doing block puzzles in my brain after playing Catherine? I'm even getting them in dreams.

Make it stop. Please, make it stop.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Gravijah said:
So... Am I the only one who has constantly been doing block puzzles in my brain after playing Catherine? I'm even getting them in dreams.

You're cheating on someone, haven't you? :p

Gravijah said:

I was doing them in my brain even before I finished the game. Whenever I was at work, I was devising entire levels with various types of blocks and actions in my head without even realizing it; even friggin undos! That's how I knew I was addicted and this was my goty.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Gravijah said:

It happens to me in every puzzle game. Thankfully Catherine didn't reach Lumines-levels but it was still pretty bad.

Go_Ly_Dow

Gravijah said:

.......I kid you not. I also woke up the morning after completing the game and had the puzzles running through my mind, was fairly sure I dreamt about playing the game.

Also been playing out some of the tactics in my head as well :lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The puzzles after closing eyes were the worst aspect of the game.
Also... EDGE. *shiver*

Erigu

Gravijah said:
The dream thing happens to me with pretty much every game.

orion434

Mergesort said:
No you need to finish the game atleast 3 times.

You can get away with 2 & 1/2... on my MAX Chaos playthrough, I made a save file at the very beginning of Day 5 @ the Stray Sheep with a maxed-out Chaos meter. I played through for full Chaos answering all the choices with Chaos ( Red ) and got those 3 endings

Then I reloaded the Day 5 save file and answered all choices with LAW ( Blue ) and by the end of day 8 the needle was smack in the middle and I was able to get the True Neutral ending.

Mergesort

Gravijah said:

Omg me too! And everytime i fail to get to the top i have to start all over again!
Just finished all stages on Hard/gold and it took me soooo long!

Slermy

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm having trouble deciding between the Xbox and Ps3 versions of this game. While I prefer the PS3's d-pad, I'll always take achievements over trophies. Is there much of a difference between the two?

I just beat it last night on the 360. I was originally torn as well but decided to go 360 as it's my primary platform. While in screenshots you can tell the difference in compression between the two systems, I didn't notice it while playing. The Majority of the cutscenes are in-engine anyway. I think you'll do just fine with the 360 version.

Also, for whatever reason, I used analog sticks for the puzzles.

M_Night said:
.......I kid you not. I also woke up the morning after completing the game and had the puzzles running through my mind, was fairly sure I dreamt about playing the game.

Looks like some people in the thread have been cheating.

sephi22

Oh god. I started my PS3 up at 7:30 AM to get Gold awards on Stages 8 and 9-1 to 9-6. Its 2:55 AM and I just got done. My savegame went from 28:00 hours played to 47:00 hours.

9-5 and 9-6 on hard are a bitch to gold, especially 9-5. I must have retried about 200 times on 9-5. I reached the end about a dozen times but got silver because I lost my multiplier somewhere along the way.

These two stages almost made me hate the game, which is surprising because:
1) 9-5 and 9-6 are pretty easy and fun on Normal and Easy
2) This game's in the running for my GOTY

You pretty much can't do these stages through the help of a walkthrough, because once any trap block becomes a bomb/weak block it will screw up the symmetry of the stage and its up to you alone from the point. Man 9-5 Hard is a nightmarish stage.

9-6 on the other hand, though difficult, wasn't as frustrating. It was a matter of pulling blocks when under Dumuzid's spell till you get the jump block, then proceeding. I think I missed like 5 gold piles but still got the Gold award because of the continuous multiplier

cj_iwakura

9-5 is a very consistently simple pattern, it's just that the boss' shots can easily mess you up.

9-6 is like a culmination of 7 and 9-5's boss.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
9-5 on hard is really hard. The patterns seem quite inconsistent even if you have a guide. 9-6 still has a pattern if you have a guide.

ULTROS! said:
9-5 on hard is really hard. The patterns seem quite inconsistent even if you have a guide. 9-6 still has a pattern if you have a guide.

Good stuff, I finally beat 9-5 last night and it took hours...

There was a glitch that kept killing me at one point where I would drop down and fall straight through a block when the boss was moving around.

Hopefully i'll just need to beat babel after tonight.

sephi22

I have a friend with whom I finished my first run of the game over a period of 3 days. It was pretty neat because he would pick up on something I missed and vice versa, and together we breezed through the levels. He finished the last Quadrangle level when I fell asleep, and I finished the Child with the Chainsaw fight when he dozed off.

But no matter how hard we try, Babel always leads to us dying because one of us screwed up. Its still fun though, and we don't get too serious over it. I guess I'll have to do the remaining three Babel levels with 2 controllers.

Also, Colosseum is fantastic. The most stupidly fun versus mode since Rearmed's Don't touch the floor.

Himself

Just finished this. Man, it was great. Some things I'd like to see in a patch: fix the jarring sound levels during the anime scenes,
include online co-op for the Colosseum
, and make Rapunzel playable from the main menu screen after beating the game once.

I wish it kept track of how many times you died. Wonder if I broke 100.

Toward the end I felt a bit of Portal 2 syndrome sinking in
where the game kept telling you the next thing you accomplish would certainly be the last, then introducing more and more stuff to do, making the end game seem long and fatiguing
, but I ended up really enjoying the last hour or so.

My girlfriend was fascinated by this game and ended up loving it, asking me what happened when she wasn't around to watch.

This is my GOTY thus far. It was beautiful, smart, fun, challenging, and original. Now it's time to go for some golds.

Mergesort

Himself said:
Just finished this. Man, it was great. Some things I'd like to see in a patch: fix the jarring sound levels during the anime scenes,
include online co-op for the Colosseum
, and make Rapunzel playable from the main menu screen after beating the game once.

I wish it kept track of how many times you died. Wonder if I broke 100.

Toward the end I felt a bit of Portal 2 syndrome sinking in
where the game kept telling you the next thing you accomplish would certainly be the last, then introducing more and more stuff to do, making the end game seem long and fatiguing
, but I ended up really enjoying the last hour or so.

My girlfriend was fascinated by this game and ended up loving it, asking me what happened when she wasn't around to watch.

This is my GOTY thus far. It was beautiful, smart, fun, challenging, and original. Now it's time to go for some golds.

Haha i think my deathcounter is in the thousands!

Does anyone honestly get better than Bronze on each mission their first time through on Normal or above?

I got Silver the first two times, but up until level 5, have only been getting Bronzes. Is it because I restart from the checkpoints, die too much, don't get enough coins? Kinda frustrating...

CartridgeBlower said:
I got Silver the first two times, but up until level 5, have only been getting Bronzes. Is it because I restart from the checkpoints, die too much, don't get enough coins? Kinda frustrating...
It's because you restart from checkpoints. You need to pretty much finish the level in one go to get a perfect chain and score enough points to get gold.

I think it's entirely doable on the first run through. With all the deaths and retries I often learned the level well enough to finish it in a single attempt if I restarted from the beginning.

Lostconfused said:
It's because you restart from checkpoints. You need to pretty much finish the level in one go to get a perfect chain and score enough points to get gold.

Ah, ya I figured that was the main culprit. Do most people use checkpoints on their first run through the game just to finish it? Some of these levels are really difficult on a first run, I can't imagine going for score until I know the terrain ahead of time.

Himself

Whoa, this Babel stuff is tough. First level.

Reminds me of the challenges in Vanquish. I know I'll most likely never complete them, but they're a damn good time and an easy way to top the game off with a bit more content.

Hmmm...that's weird.

The entire game hints at the True Freedom ending being canon, yet the Good Katherine ending is the only one that directly hints at a sequel with the ant crawling on the floor suggesting Catherine isn't finished yet.

cj_iwakura said:
9-6 is like a culmination of 7 and 9-5's boss.

You missed the big correlation there.

Boss Vincent's left eye is visible in 7's boss, yet the final boss has his right eye visible. This suggests that Vincent and the Boss are similar, yet opposite as they both are ones who survived the climb

Himself

Nora Kisaragi said:
Hmmm...that's weird.

The entire game hints at the True Freedom ending being canon, yet the Good Katherine ending is the only one that directly hints at a sequel with the ant crawling on the floor suggesting Catherine isn't finished yet.

You missed the big correlation there.

Boss Vincent's left eye is visible in 7's boss, yet the final boss has his right eye visible. This suggests that Vincent and the Boss are similar, yet opposite as they both are ones who survived the climb

Cool observation. I also wonder
does Vincent succeed Boss as the new...whatever he is...in the future? I think that was mentioned during one of the last few confessions.

Which ending is generally considered the best? (As in most entertaining, not necessarily canon).

Himself said:
I also wonder
does Vincent succeed Boss as the new...whatever he is...in the future?

You should play Babel Mode, or if you don't want to...

No. The player of the game succeeds the Boss. This was revealed in the Babel Ending. I just wonder how the heck they'll incorporate something like that into the sequel. I think that's a hint that the gameplay might change, and maybe we'll start laying traps instead of playing them. Not sure.

Himself said:
Cool observation. I also wonder
does Vincent succeed Boss as the new...whatever he is...in the future? I think that was mentioned during one of the last few confessions.

Actually
the player is supposed to be Ishtar's new consort, assuming you've completed Axis Mundi.

Kazzy

I'm on 6-4 of my first playthrough, after pretty much conceding that I will never fully grasp the gameplay it is finally starting to click, finally.

It just makes me more eager for the next proper Persona game though, imagining this amount of polish applied to those mechanics makes me very excited!

Watanabe Kazuma said:
It just makes me more eager for the next proper Persona game though, imagining this amount of polish applied to those mechanics makes me very excited!

I wonder which will come first, Catherine 2 or Persona 5? It's possible that Index Holdings will want to cash in on this franchise while it's still hot on people's minds, yet Atlus has to have started work on the next Persona by now. Hmmm. We'll find out at TGS, that's not that far away now.

Oh, btw, an update on sales. According to a certain censored website, this game has sold 0.42m total (both versions) worldwide thus far. Japan is responsible for .23m and America is responsible for .20m. It's possible, if this game is released in Europe, they might be able to push it to 1m by the end of the year.

I wonder just how big of a success they consider this game to be? With the 200k copies sold in America, that's roughly 200kx60=$12,000,000 in revenue. And that's brand new copies, not counting those who bought the Deluxe Edition which would add $20 per purchase. That total probably covers all costs in localizing this game tenfold. A huge profit. Seeing that it sold this way in America and Japan, and it's no longer surprising Index Holdings wants a sequel. After all, if the sequel is done as well as the first, people that were reluctant to try the first will be more likely to dive into the series given its success, so sales can only go up from here.

The persona series is a well-known franchise, but Persona 4 has only sold 0.73 copies til now. The fact catherine, a new franchise, may be able to meet and succeed the number of one of Atlus' famed franchises on its first iteration, is just simply mind boggling.

Kazzy

I think a decent number from those sales will simply be from the Atlus faithful who were eager to play their first release on current generation hardware. I don't think there is any fear of Catherine as a franchise superseding Persona.

ULTROS!

Himself said:
Which ending is generally considered the best? (As in most entertaining, not necessarily canon).

Canon (and probably the best ending for me) = True Katherine
Entertaining = True Catherine

ULTROS! said:
Canon = True Katherine

Source on this? If anything, the True Freedom Ending is canon. There is no "official canon" ending in the game as of yet.

(Forgive all my posts on this page, but this is the first i've seen someone calling true katherine the canon ending, considering there is little evidence that supports this)

ULTROS!

True Katherine being canon is just my opinion anyway. :p

But since they plan of making this game a series... Will it still be linked to Vincent?

Top Bottom