• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Chemo

cametall said:
Does anyone else have REALLY low sound on the PS3 version?

I can't hear shit without having the volume really high.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I'm deathly afraid of reading spoilers in this thread.
Dialogue and music is really low for me (PS3 version) except during the anime cutscenes, at which point it's loud again.

blitz64

Chemo said:
Dialogue and music is really low for me (PS3 version) except during the anime cutscenes, at which point it's loud again.

Same, I find I have to lower and raise the volume back and forth.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My problem with the revelation about the guy in the confessionals is
that Ishtar and Astaroth are obviously voiced by different voice actors, whereas the Japanese voice of Astaroth sounded effeminate, but could still be mistaken for a man's

Chemo

blitz64 said:
Same, I find I have to lower and raise the volume back and forth.
Same here. I really hope they patch it or something, because I definitely plan on putting a ton of time into it, way more than the 20 hours I've already put in...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Feels good to have completed Obelisk. 2 more to go.

Now for Axis Mundi *shudders*.

ULTROS! said:
Feels good to have completed Obelisk.

Good luck! I haven't even tried Babel yet. Part is out of fear (lol) and also because I only have one stage unlocked. Time to start aiming for those gold trophies.

P.S. Rapunzel is such a fun distraction. I really like that there are optional puzzle challenges outside of the main nightmare stages.

Neiteio

RedSwirl said:
So I'm going to start this game tonight, and I've heard how frustrating the puzzles are and how the story is the main draw. Should I just do this on Easy?

That is afterall the difficulty to play if you just want the story, and the second puzzle of the demo (which was on Easy) actually gave me a lot of trouble. What do I miss by playing on Easy?
You miss nothing. Start out on Easy. What's cool is that in between puzzle stages, when you're back in the bar, you can adjust the difficulty level as you please. So if you're going along and the game feels too simple, you can bump it up to Normal or Hard, and then if it gets too tough, you can bump it back down to Easy, all mid-game. What's also cool is that if Easy is still too difficult (and take it from me, a hardened gamer -- it's STILL plenty challenging), you can hold Select on the title screen (I believe it's the title screen... or maybe it's the screen where you chose Golden Playhouse), and if you hold Select until you hear a chime, Very Easy mode will unlock. This gives you a special item in the nightmares that allows you to climb three blocks at a time.

Whatever difficulty you play, you'll still have a ton of fun. The puzzles have this addictive quality to them; forming the perfect pathway and hopping along as blocks fall away beneath you is always thrilling. It's a wonderful sense of progression and accomplishment, no matter the difficulty level. You're golden no matter what. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Chemo said:

Actually, my major problem is that some dialogues overlap (I remember one in Babel).

Neiteio

ULTROS! said:
Actually, my major problem is that some dialogues overlap (I remember one in Babel).
Trish/Midnight Venus has lines that overlap in all her scenes: the beginning and end of Golden Playhouse, and the intros to Babel and Colosseum (and possibly the ending to Babel, but I'm not there yet). This doesn't appear to happen anywhere else in the game, though.

The volume change happens when it switches between anime and in-game engine. On your first playthrough, just keep the remote handy, and when the loading screen with the ticking clock appears, be ready to dial down the sound if it comes back as anime, or to dial it back up if in-engine. It's pesky, I suppose, though to be fair the in-game volume seems optimal at levels that would be fine for normal TV viewing (usually games are louder than TV proper, on my TV at least), so it's only jarring when it switches to anime and the anime's at normal game volume.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
cametall said:
Does anyone else have REALLY low sound on the PS3 version?

I can't hear shit without having the volume really high.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I'm deathly afraid of reading spoilers in this thread.
I've noticed some mix issues in terms of the volume levels being different between the animated cutscenes and in-engine stuff, but nothing too drastic. I'm playing in 5.1 though.

ULTROS! said:
Feels good to have completed Obelisk. 2 more to go.

I don't recall the floor splitting up in Pairs mode, but that was always the part that got me in Singles... mostly from random blocks turning into bombs and destroying everything. Or Monster blocks moving in such a way that they just screw everything up.

Good to hear you beat it, though.

I'm working on Rapunzel now... man, I love this game, but I HATE Rapunzel. I don't know what it is, I just do not enjoy Rapunzel at all. (Except there was one Rapunzel stage where most of the blocks were cracked and stepping on any of them would break the whole stage and you had to do a lot of hanging off of stuff, that was fun.)

StunandStab said:
I'm working on Rapunzel now... man, I love this game, but I HATE Rapunzel. I don't know what it is, I just do not enjoy Rapunzel at all. (Except there was one Rapunzel stage where most of the blocks were cracked and stepping on any of them would break the whole stage and you had to do a lot of hanging off of stuff, that was fun.)

Same. I just don't enjoy small, bite-sized puzzles like this that have one complicated solution that you have to trial-and-error your way through in order to figure out (obviously not all stages are like that, I'm generalizing). I'll probably just cheat my way through it once I get to puzzles that start to annoy me.

iconoclast said:
Same. I just don't enjoy small, bite-sized puzzles like this that have one complicated solution that you have to trial-and-error your way through in order to figure out (obviously not all stages are like that, I'm generalizing). I'll probably just cheat my way through it once I get to puzzles that start to annoy me.

I've already youtubed a couple of the stages (I'm on stage 53 now),
I don't really care because it's Rapunzel. I didn't cheat my way through any of the main game (Golds on hard, Babel), so I'm fine with it. I won't youtube every level, though, finding the solutions to these puzzles is still kinda fun most of the time, but yes, the small bite-sized nature of it really puts me off, too.

It is a neat nod to older games, but I just enjoy the main game so much more, so Rapunzel feels like a chore. I really enjoy the fast paced nature of the main game and how it's kind of actiony while being a puzzle game at the same time. Rapunzel is just straight puzzle and I find it kind of boring because of that.

iconoclast said:

I love the main game but that Rapunzel stuff is driving me nuts. Only need these trophies and the Babel ones (saving the controller rage for last ;-) ). I used a batch Youtube downloader and found a playlist of all
levels so I'm good to go on that grind. Pfffffff

Vincent's an a-hole.

In Persona or a standard JRPG, when faced with the devil or the god/mastermind, the MC would go: "Your evil ends here! It's time to be defeated!" yet in Catherine, Vincent is okay with other people being sentenced to death as long as he and his friends are let go, and goes on to be the friend of the bartender

Neiteio

Nora Kisaragi said:
Vincent's an a-hole.

In Persona or a standard JRPG, when faced with the devil or the god/mastermind, the MC would go: "Your evil ends here! It's time to be defeated!" yet in Catherine, Vincent is okay with other people being sentenced to death as long as he and his friends are let go, and goes on to be the friend of the bartender
Well, which ending did you get? If you got the
True Katherine
ending, where
Vincent and Katherine get married
, then I would note
Boss is Vincent's bitch at this point, and Vincent -did- make Boss promise to stop the nightmares for EVERYBODY, not just his friends, so while it doesn't bring back the people already killed, it does end the killing, and Boss is not in a position to do it again

Now if you got the
True Catherine
ending, where
Vincent elopes with Catherine to the Netherworld and becomes a demon himself
, then I suppose one could say his actions are a-holish, as
he selfishly abandons the world for himself and Catherine, Catherine being someone not "chained down" either
, though perhaps he's not so selfish, as
being the "Man of Legend" he is distracting enough for the succubi to stop their natural order of seducing men to cheat, which along with Boss out of commission means fewer (supernaturally) ruined relationships

I haven't seen many of the other endings yet, though. :)

cametall

XiaNaphryz said:
I've noticed some mix issues in terms of the volume levels being different between the animated cutscenes and in-engine stuff, but nothing too drastic. I'm playing in 5.1 though.

I'm playing in 5.1 too and when I have my receiver set to Dolby Digital the sound gets even worse. I'm playing in mono/stereo, which improves it a bit but I lose the 5.1 effects.

JEKKI

whoo~!!! jus started playthru the 2nd!!

thus far I have gold rank on stages 1-3, and for some odd reason, 8.

time to gold em all now!!!

Neiteio

JEKKI said:
whoo~!!! jus started playthru the 2nd!!

thus far I have gold rank on stages 1-3, and for some odd reason, 8.

time to gold em all now!!!
Hmm, when you start a new file, does it retain which gold medals you've accomplished on past save files?

Anyone?

Man, so many spoilers I want to read haha. Right now I'm on the last handful of stages. I think I'll choose Katherine, at first I was skeptical about her but now I'm starting to feel skeptical over Catherine...I was shocked when I found Vincent's friends in sheep form on the upper floors!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Neiteio said:
Hmm, when you start a new file, does it retain which gold medals you've accomplished on past save files?

Anyone?
It does. Just look at the awards on your phone and it'll list them all. And if you move up a difficulty you haven't played yet, it'll list all the levels as bronze. So you can actually play through all the levels before you get to them and try and gold them out if you'd like, letting you skip them when you get to them later in the actual story.

ULTROS!

Urban Scholar said:
How many stages of rapunzel are there?

64 regular, 64 extra.

If you want all the trophies, you have to finish all 128.

RedSwirl

I think I'm gonna have to go one puzzle per-sitting for this game. Didn't realize that there were going to be several per-night and honestly, the realization of that felt kind of tiring.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Andrefpvs said:
Not at all. Drink one of each available drinks every night for the trophies as well.
Yeah, this is my problem with the game. I really think it's a great concept, but they could do so much more with branching and how it affects the narrative. I completely understand why they don't develop it further, but it feels limiting. Should be like drinking makes the gameplay easier, but causes you to miss events with Katherine, causing her to get pissed off at you, hurting your chances at reconciliation or something. Or maybe you could have the option to avoid Catherine's advances all together by not drinking. I don't know. What I want would be incredibly challenging to design and write.

As it is, it's very entertaining. But I hate gameplay mechanics where there's no reason why you wouldn't do it.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
they need to patch the audio.

ingame sounds is normal, then when a anime cutscene comes you get heart attack inducing EXTREMELY LOUD SOUND lol

the levels are different for gameplay and anime cutscenes it seems.

edit: oh this has already been discussed.

JWong

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Yeah, this is my problem with the game. I really think it's a great concept, but they could do so much more with branching and how it affects the narrative. I completely understand why they don't develop it further, but it feels limiting. Should be like drinking makes the gameplay easier, but causes you to miss events with Katherine, causing her to get pissed off at you, hurting your chances at reconciliation or something. Or maybe you could have the option to avoid Catherine's advances all together by not drinking. I don't know. What I want would be incredibly challenging to design and write.

As it is, it's very entertaining. But I hate gameplay mechanics where there's no reason why you wouldn't do it.
This isn't Witcher 2...

RedSwirl said:
I think I'm gonna have to go one puzzle per-sitting for this game. Didn't realize that there were going to be several per-night and honestly, the realization of that felt kind of tiring.
Huh? It's at most 4-5 stages a night. 7 a night? Nope

JWong

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Huh? It's at most 4-5 stages a night. 7 a night? Nope
Actually, 2-3 stages. Only the last stage has 5.

I've played the whole game in one sitting without feeling tired.

For Nightmares with multiple parts (like the Torture Chamber), do I have to get a gold on each part to get a gold for the entire thing, or is it an average score kind of situation?

Edit: Also I haven't been drinking at all. Does this mean I can't get that trophy unless I start from the beginning? I'm on Day 3(?) here.

Just started playing the game. Hey it's a puzzle game, kind of fun. Is it ok if I am spamming the undo button?

And fucking Mushi-Shi simulwatch. Dude opens his mouth and all I am hearing is Ginko.

Professor Beef said:
For Nightmares with multiple parts (like the Torture Chamber), do I have to get a gold on each part to get a gold for the entire thing, or is it an average score kind of situation?

Edit: Also I haven't been drinking at all. Does this mean I can't get that trophy unless I start from the beginning? I'm on Day 3(?) here.

It's your total score at the end. So, if you don't get a good score in floor 1, you pretty much won't be getting gold on floor 2, and so on. If you are just slightly under the mark for gold and obtain silver, it is possible to make up for it and get gold on the next floor, but that is rarely the case.

Also, to answer your question about the drinking. Yes, you have to drink every night from beginning to end for the trivia trophies.

Neiteio

Well, I got gold on Worlds 1-3. Normally I wouldn't try for the higher score, but I'm trying to unlock Babel stages, and getting golds also let me skip those worlds in subsequent playthroughs.

Starting at World 3, I've been using YouTube to learn the path through levels. It's a lot of fun then trying to flawlessly execute the path, and still quite a challenge. I imagine the later stages will be dizzyingly difficult.

Game is so awesome. Horribly addicting, though; I'm like a sponge and I just can't absorb enough of the game's style, sound, gameplay, etc. Just hook it to my veins. :)

EDIT: I wrote the above while on the title screen, and after awhile the trailer montage started to play, and I saw
Steve screaming as Shadow of Vincent (see my avatar) killed him
, and I just feel so bummed that
he didn't shut up and run through the door with Vincent.
Poor bum. :-\

cj_iwakura

By the by, I knew I didn't recognize Babel's 'New record!' repetition for a reason.

In the JP version, she says 'keep erecting'(I think).

RedSwirl

Neiteio said:
You miss nothing. Start out on Easy. What's cool is that in between puzzle stages, when you're back in the bar, you can adjust the difficulty level as you please. So if you're going along and the game feels too simple, you can bump it up to Normal or Hard, and then if it gets too tough, you can bump it back down to Easy, all mid-game. What's also cool is that if Easy is still too difficult (and take it from me, a hardened gamer -- it's STILL plenty challenging), you can hold Select on the title screen (I believe it's the title screen... or maybe it's the screen where you chose Golden Playhouse), and if you hold Select until you hear a chime, Very Easy mode will unlock. This gives you a special item in the nightmares that allows you to climb three blocks at a time.

Whatever difficulty you play, you'll still have a ton of fun. The puzzles have this addictive quality to them; forming the perfect pathway and hopping along as blocks fall away beneath you is always thrilling. It's a wonderful sense of progression and accomplishment, no matter the difficulty level. You're golden no matter what. :)
No it isn't. I don't feel like immediately starting up another puzzle as soon as I finish one. I just want to get back to the bar and see what happens next in the real world.

Neiteio

RedSwirl said:
No it isn't. I don't feel like immediately starting up another puzzle as soon as I finish one. I just want to get back to the bar and see what happens next in the real world.
To each his own, then. On Easy -- and Very Easy, especially -- I find the puzzles rather doable on blind intuition alone. It's not knowing what will work, but just feeling one's way through the puzzles, and for me the addiction lies in it falling together all the same. It's amazing how there are so many approaches to each layout, and you can dig yourself out of nearly any hole (with obvious exceptions, like an isolated block on the bottom row). So it's an adrenaline rush, I feel, hitting the top of the stack and seeing Vincent go "Yeeeah!" Then, it's back off to the bar. :)

Ryn

I want them to make a game just full of these puzzles. I love them.

..oh yeah. Rapunzel, :3

I only beat normal mode so far and got Katherines true ending. Now going through hard mode trying to go for Catherine. This purchase definitely is one of my best ones in a while.

Going through all the levels trying to get gold on hard, im upto 5-2 at the moment so not even half way :(

I've done the first babel challenge (altar?) I cheated tho, tried about 50 times trying to do it on solo mode and failed hard, tried it in duo mode using both controllers and did it on the second attempt.

Enjoying the game but damn it can be hard

ULTROS!

For those who did Axis Mundi in pairs, around how many floors does it have?

Axis Mundi even in pairs is haaaard (only reached 50).

ULTROS! said:
For those who did Axis Mundi in pairs, around how many floors does it have?

Axis Mundi even in pairs is haaaard (only reached 50).

I wasn't even paying attention to the step counter when I did it, so I'm not really sure.

I think it took me about 18 minutes, though, and I was actually going pretty fast. I'd say about 200 steps

Top Bottom