• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Andrefpvs

JEKKI said:
today is the last day to play before Deus Ex comes and destroys us all!!!

I am on 7-5, hope to make it to 9-1 by end of day!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the 8th stage's duration then.

Andrefpvs

JEKKI said:
no surprises, Ive already played thru the game twice lol.

Dangit.

Anyway, I have started golding on hard as well, but the prospect that I still have to do Rapunzel at some point is haunting me. It'll be soooo boring...

Andrefpvs said:
Dangit.

Anyway, I have started golding on hard as well, but the prospect that I still have to do Rapunzel at some point is haunting me. It'll be soooo boring...

I enjoyed Rapunzel. The music was good, although it got repetitive.

Mergesort

aceface said:
Is it hard to get the True Freedom ending? Just alternate blue and red answers? I'm afraid I'll screw it up.
No it's not realy hard. As you said alternate the answers and try to stay within the middle +-1.

Andrefpvs

plasticpassion said:
I enjoyed Rapunzel. The music was good, although it got repetitive.

I'm up to stage 30 and it's really repetitive. I can't do more than 4/5 stages a time without feeling uncomfortable.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mild, non-specific spoilers

I enjoyed myself. The story had a good thing going early on, but then it got a bit... well, look, here's my thing, it needed to go one of two ways, and it didn't.

a) It goes super crazy and suddenly it's in Bayonetta story territory; or
b) It avoided any weird supernatural stuff and played on the whole metaphor thing (although the mysterious deaths might have made that all but impossible to pull off)

As it stands, I think I got good or true Katherine, and it was all a bit average. The early mystery, which was interesting, especially for the first few nights, started folding back around on itself and was prolonged arbitrarily.

But yeah, I enjoyed the block puzzles for the most part. I enjoyed the bar. I like that this exists, but it feels like wasted potential. Hopefully we get a series of Golden Theatre games from Atlus, that'd be kind of cool.

Andrefpvs said:
I'm up to stage 30 and it's really repetitive. I can't do more than 4/5 stages a time without feeling uncomfortable.

Haha, that's a good way to put it. I like the rigid, puzzle-heavy play style of Rapunzel, but I get really conscious of the music when I'm trying to think over strategies. It would be cool if you could listen to the Jukebox's playlist during the mini-game, but it's not so bad.

I think RPG elements could have been incorporated to give the game some variety, such as gaining abilities the more you play or the faster you climb. A leveling system would have been interesting. Also it
would have been nice to go somewhere else besides the bar every night.

JEKKI

whoo~!! good news! I made it to 9-1!!

bad news, I forgot to reply to one message, leaving me one away from the achievement!

>_< grrr!!!

tokkun

For those of you who preordered from Amazon with release day delivery and got delayed, I just received an email with a $5 GC by way of apology.

This game man, its just.... mental

I tried menhir for about 3 hours yesterday, highest I got was 107 steps, and that was only once, I was averaging around 80 steps.

Just put it on and beat menhir first go, freaking insane.

Mergesort

kyo_daikun said:
This game man, its just.... mental

I tried menhir for about 3 hours yesterday, highest I got was 107 steps, and that was only once, I was averaging around 80 steps.

Just put it on and beat menhir first go, freaking insane.

I was at 128 steps(obelisk) when i died, i am just too slow with a second controller.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
kyo_daikun said:
Got to 126 on obelisk, it just died and there was nowhere to go, only 16 steps away... :(

Babel is annoying when you start hearing the bell then you push the wrong block thus you get stuck. Happened to me twice in Altar and Menhir mode.

I still have yet to beat this game my first time! I'm stuck on the spiral staircase on floor 7 :eek: I'm always stumped by those giant wall puzzles.

Just beat the game. Pretty challenging stuff (on normal). Probably died more in this game than any other recent retail game. Though it seemed like the difficulty peaked before the last couple chapters.

Mergesort said:
This is so damn frustrating! I can't beat the last two stages of babel! I am going insane!

Yeah im in the same position, pissing me off and deus ex has probably turned up today, going to take a break and move onto that I think.

Mergesort

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah im in the same position, pissing me off and deus ex has probably turned up today, going to take a break and move onto that I think.

I am too waiting for deus ex, but i will not touch it until i haven't finished this damn game!

Mergesort

My avg amount of steps increased to ~ 110 steps(pair), but then i die again and again and again and again....
Do guys play in singe or pair mode? And if you play in pair, do you play alone?

RedSwirl

Finished the game last night. Eh. I did not care for the block pushing gameplay. It's exactly the kind of puzzle I hate most in video games so I had to beat it on Easy. I probably would have enjoyed it better as a visual novel or something on the same engine. I have no interest in going up to Normal or seeing the other endings.

I wanna talk about the endings though (the spoiler thread doesn't seem to have taken off). First off, I don't like the direction they went with the tail end of the story (not to mention the game's Return of the King complex). I mean you know something slightly supernatural is going on from the beginning, but the only reason I didn't see the reveal coming is because it was too obvious or at least just too conventional.

Can someone point me to a synopsis of all the endings without having to watch videos? I got what looks like the
Katherine good ending. I watched the Katherine true ending on YouTube and would like to know what the hell the difference was. One ending shows them planning their wedding, and another shows the reception. Basically it's the same outcome.

Mergesort said:
My avg amount of steps increased to ~ 110 steps(pair), but then i die again and again and again and again....
Do guys play in singe or pair mode? And if you play in pair, do you play alone?

Pair mode, its less steps in pairs and generally easier, I play on my own but it can get a bit confusing, I even have different coloured pads (white and blue) and I still get confused.

Was just on 133 steps on obelisk, I had to go across 2 unknown blocks to get to the end, did I make it? No chance, they both turned into ice blocks and threw me off the edge...

eXistor

The game is way too hard for me, I had to resort to very easy for the last few stages. That said, I like the game a lot but honestly didn't care for the puzzle stages. The rest of the game was pretty good, though not even close to being Atlus' best. It has a lot of style and character though, which counts for a lot and makes the game worth playing at least once. As much as I applaud them trying something new, I wish this is a one-off.

Mergesort

kyo_daikun said:
Just beat obelisk, got to step 148 on Axis mundi as well, too tired to carry on tonight so hopefully i'll finish up tomorrow

Just died when i heard the bell ring the first time(ever) in obelisk, i am taking a break as well.

Himself

It's remarkable how much easier it is on the second playthrough. I got golds on the first three levels no problem. Maybe died 5 times as opposed to 50 the first time. I know I suck since I can't beat the first level of Babel.

I haven't touched it lately because of El Shaddai and I'm sure my skills have slipped even farther. Oh well. I'll be back.

Himself

_dementia said:
Does Toby's canned arm swinging animation bother anyone else? Evey time it happens I feel like punching a hole through my monitor.

Haha. It's like they used the same animation no matter what tone of voice he was using or what the situation was. If all the characters had incredibly repetitive animations I didn't notice it nearly as much as Toby's.

Kazzy

Himself said:
Haha. It's like they used the same animation no matter what tone of voice he was using or what the situation was. If all the characters had incredibly repetitive animations I didn't notice it nearly as much as Toby's.

Erica's pointing one is especially noticeable too.

Currently working my way through the final endings I need to unlock, I appreciate how each one sheds a little light on different aspects of the story. The true cheater one was enjoyable and very silly but I prefer the True lover ending personally.

I would like to work towards the platinum but I don't know if I could handle hard, especially the final couple of stages. Would I be right in thinking the rewind step feature is gone in hard mode? If that's the case I could see the random elements introduced later on driving me insane!

Mergesort

Watanabe Kazuma said:
I would like to work towards the platinum but I don't know if I could handle hard, especially the final couple of stages. Would I be right in thinking the rewind step feature is gone in hard mode? If that's the case I could see the random elements introduced later on driving me insane!

Yes no rewind feature + the stages are slightly different too! But trust me, nothing in this game is as hard as babel!

Kazzy

Doomrider said:
I only have one question: is 6-2 the hardest stage in the game? Because, damn, it was really hard on normal.

Not a chance!

Personally for me it was the later stages, like I said earlier I feel a good portion of it is down to random elements. That is my main criticism of the game actually, for as hard as it is (and as bad as I am at it), I at least conceded the fact that everything was fair. I feel as though that goes right out of the window for the boss battles/random blocks though.

Doomrider

Watanabe Kazuma said:
Not a chance!

Personally for me it was the later stages, like I said earlier I feel a good portion of it is down to random elements. That is my main criticism of the game actually, for as hard as it is (and as bad as I am at it), I at least conceded the fact that everything was fair. I feel as though that goes right out of the window for the boss battles/random blocks though.

Well, that's encouraging =P I'll persevere, though. I hope. And to think I was considering starting the game on hard. I can't even remember what I did exactly in the last part of the stage; it'll be frustration all over again for my 2nd playthrough.

So far, none of the bosses or special blocks were a problem for me, but then, according to you, the best (worst?) is yet to come, so I'll probably change my mind about that =P

Top Bottom