• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Kazzy

schennmu said:
Is there a trophy for finishing the game on normal? Thinking about switching to easy. Bosses are something else!

No but Babel stages are unlocked by getting a set amount of gold awards on normal/hard stages.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
schennmu said:
Is there a trophy for finishing the game on normal? Thinking about switching to easy. Bosses are something else!

Nope.

Finished the game on hard last night, 9-6 was much easier than 9-5.

Just need to do the 3 babel levels and im all done, just in time for deus ex!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
kyo_daikun said:
Finished the game on hard last night, 9-6 was much easier than 9-5.

Just need to do the 3 babel levels and im all done, just in time for deus ex!

Just make sure you play it in pairs though.

Watanabe Kazuma said:
No but Babel stages are unlocked by getting a set amount of gold awards on normal/hard stages.

Ok, thanks. I guess the Babel stuff can wait! Need to get more familiar with the game first.

ULTROS! said:
True Katherine being canon is just my opinion anyway. :p

But since they plan of making this game a series... Will it still be linked to Vincent?

Time to whip out the spoilers, i'll answer a couple of your issues addressed.

1.) The True Katherine ending doesn't address a couple of main plot points. Jonathan's love for Katherine immediately dies and he doesn't seem to care at all helping Vincent to marry her. His entire plot dissipates without explanation. This doesn't make sense for his character. Secondly, the marriage itself is somewhat bland, and even confuses the Boss as to why he's even there in the first place. Midnight Ventus (Trisha) also expresses a sense of bewilderment at this ending, going as far as to say "Katherine may be a little -too- forgiving".

2.) The Good Katherine ending is a little crazy too, as it ends without a marriage. It ends instead with Katherine and Vincent in a bed waking up to do whatever. They're acting a lot more intimate and committed now. Something notable about this ending is the Ant crawling out of the window, suggesting Catherine isn't finished yet, or is finally giving up on trying to get Vincent. You can't tell which it is.

3.) The True Catherine ending may have had a good chance at being canon, until the scene after the credits which completely threw any chance at it being canon out the window as Vincent is now king of the underworld.

4.) The True Freedom ending addresses and concludes Jonathan's sub-character arc, with Jonathan declaring his love for Katherine, saying afterwards that Katherine may still hold feelings for Vincent. Vincent shrugs him off, saying "men and woman get together by fate. I like that idea now." and goes off to join the space tour program. Now that he's free, he still accepts that marriage may come at a later point in his life, with Katherine still willing to get together with Vincent, and Catherine may come into the picture too. Vincent conquers his own self and indecision, saying marriage just wasn't in his character, not yet. The Boss even agrees with this, and says he now apologized for sending Vincent in the dreams in the first place, which may conclude some of the tension existing between the two. Out of all the endings, the True Freedom ending is referenced again and again throughout the entire game, starting at Day 1 when Vincent sees Feather at the wrestling match, and later overhearing a couple talking about the space tour program and its price drop to 50k, which is where Vincent begins to hatch his idea. It is by far the most referenced ending in the entire game, and does NOT leave a sense of closure. The other True Endings provide closure, while the Freedom ending is the only one that leaves a gap for Vincent's future problems as a free man. Even in the Nightmares, Vincent keeps getting told by the Sheep and Astaroth that he will get "True Freedom" when he reaches the top, and even asks himself "what is True Freedom?"

5.) The sequel will most likely have Vincent, though i'm not sure if he'll be a main character or side character. What i'm worried about is how the gameplay will work. In the context of this game, we were helping a character on a TV Screen in the Golden Theater. Yet in the Midnight Venus ending, the player himself becomes Ishtar's consort, suggesting the gameplay will change in some way in the sequel.

ULTROS! said:

Yeah I did altar in pairs on my second attempt after failing in singles about 50 times, I agree that true Katherine should be the cannon ending, maybe the sequel can be based around them being parents or something.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wrapped this up the other night, awesome stuff. I got the True Catherine Ending and I'm hoping it'll be treated as semi canon for one reason only:

Demon Lord Vincent & Catherine as secret bosses
in Persona 5. How cool would that be?!

sephi22

Nora Kisaragi said:
Source on this? If anything, the True Freedom Ending is canon. There is no "official canon" ending in the game as of yet.

(Forgive all my posts on this page, but this is the first i've seen someone calling true katherine the canon ending, considering there is little evidence that supports this)
I'd say the game tries to set up True Katherine ending as the canon ending, what with Cath being a
succubus
and Vincent realizing that Katherine is the one he loves by the end, atleast going by the subtitles.

Which leads me to this observation: the subtitles hurt the game. I played the game with them on and didn't realize my folly since I was going for a pro-Katherine ending. But when I went for the pro-Cath playthrough, I realized that the subtitles hurt the game. Here's why: Everytime Vincent says the name of his love, he says 'Katherine/Catherine' but the subtitles always say Katherine. For example, when he finally confronts the boss, Vincent says 'If I clear your last nightmare, you must bring Katherine to me'. Now if you're going for a pro-Cath ending, this makes no sense. If you turn the subtitles off, its actually ambiguous whether Vincent means Kath or Cath, and works both ways, but with subtitles on, it always defaults to Katherine.

sephi22 said:
Vincent says 'If I clear your last nightmare, you must bring Katherine to me'.

(First thing's first bro: Spoiler tags, you should probably use them.)

No it doesn't. Your memory is playing tricks on you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYILMabiZX0&feature=player_detailpage#t=959s

After a certain point in the story, all references to Katherine/Catherine become "her" and/are removed entirely from the subtitles.

And no, which ending the game sets up is questionable, read my previous post, I would like your thoughts on that.

ULTROS! said:
In pairs as in with some one else or how does it work? I am still interested in playing the extra stuff in this game. So any info for the future would be helpful.

Himself

Hmm. I got the True Lover ending, which I guess is True Katherine?
The wedding
. I'm anxious to see what happens with the other endings, but I'd rather not Youtube it or find out from message board posts.

I absolutely love the game and can see the potential for a sequel, but I'd much rather see Persona 5 and Persona 4 Portable before Catherine 2. Shit, I'll be busy with Babel, Rapunzel, and other endings for quite some time.

Cactus

Banned
I can't see Vincent being in a sequel, regardless of which ending Atlus sees as canon. Why would he would ever have to repeat what he did?

An entirely new cast, or a game starring one of the other people from the Stray Sheep seems more likely.

Cuisino

Neo Member
got a question gaf...this good/evil thing which appears at the bottom right during the day for just a few seconds...is this a QTE? I don't mean after writing a sms or talking to someone...It sometimes happens in the scenes in which I cannot do anything...with one of the angels flIng around...usually the one on the right... I don't get it...somehow I cannot do anything with it. Or can I? I must've somehow missed the tutorial for it...

Cuisino said:
got a question gaf...this good/evil thing which appears at the bottom right during the day for just a few seconds...is this a QTE? I don't mean after writing a sms or talking to someone...It sometimes happens in the scenes in which I cannot do anything...with one of the angels flIng around...usually the one on the right... I don't get it...somehow I cannot do anything with it. Or can I? I must've somehow missed the tutorial for it...
It's not a QTE, it's just Vincent's internal thoughts.

Depending where you are on the scale, he'll be thinking different things.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Cuisino said:
got a question gaf...this good/evil thing which appears at the bottom right during the day for just a few seconds...is this a QTE? I don't mean after writing a sms or talking to someone...It sometimes happens in the scenes which I cannot do anything... I don't get it...somehow I cannot do anything with it. Or can I? I must've somehow missed the tutorial for it...

Its after you make decisions and where your personality is drifting, or just showing where you personality is and why youre getting the scene you are, sort of indicating these are the points in the game where you'd be getting a total different story were you the other side.

Also it doesnt stand for Good and Evil, so don't feel like some decisions are "evil", go with the flow.

LiK

even with a guide, trying to get Gold on Normal on Chapter 6 boss is pretty hard. the lil chainsaws from the boss is messing me up.

Cuisino

Neo Member
thanks guys, much appreciated.

just strange that I somehow seem to get more "blue" thoughts...I clearly had more red thoughts in total...

Kazzy

Cuisino said:

No, in cutscenes it just represents Vicent's state of mind in those instances.

Considering the boxers and the comical, exaggerated way Vincent runs, is that supposed to be an homage to Ghouls n' Ghosts?
th_ghost4.gif

Einbroch

Banned
GameFly just won't ship this game to me. It's like Medium availability, on the top of my list, and they've sent me two LOW availability games!

I WANT MY CATHERINE

CatPee

Einbroch said:
GameFly just won't ship this game to me. It's like Medium availability, on the top of my list, and they've sent me two LOW availability games!

I WANT MY CATHERINE

Do Atlus and yourself a favor by buying it. Well worth beyond the $60 I paid.

CatPee said:
Do Atlus and yourself a favor by buying it. Well worth beyond the $60 I paid.

and thats why i paid $80

_dementia said:
Considering the boxers and the comical, exaggerated way Vincent runs, is that supposed to be an homage to Ghouls n' Ghosts?
th_ghost4.gif

There is a homage to that in this game. Somewhere.

ULTROS!

LiK said:
even with a guide, trying to get Gold on Normal on Chapter 6 boss is pretty hard. the lil chainsaws from the boss is messing me up.

You haven't seen hard yet. :p

Though I did finish normal without a guide, it wasn't so bad if you've completed easy without a guide.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Weird question - does anyone have a sound file of the "Edge" voice? I wanted to use it as my message tone in my mobile phone but couldn't find it anywhere.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm a little frustrated with how the scoring works. Frustrated = confused.

I have been replaying a level in an attempt to get gold. I have watched a video guide and I can get through the level exactly how the guide shows without a single error and I am still coming up short of the goal.

Is there something I'm missing here?

ULTROS!

Truelize said:

I have been replaying a level in an attempt to get gold. I have watched a video guide and I can get through the level exactly how the guide shows without a single error and I am still coming up short of the goal.

1. Try to get all the gold (not all, just... get a lot)
2. You shouldn't break your combo, meaning that you should go up straight and quick and the counter shouldn't restart.

Truelize said:

if you use checkpoints, your chain will break. do it straight and get as much gold as possible.

LiK

ULTROS! said:
You haven't seen hard yet. :p

Though I did finish normal without a guide, it wasn't so bad if you've completed easy without a guide.
Fuck that, once I unlock all the endings, I'm done, lol.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ULTROS! said:
1. Try to get all the gold (not all, just... get a lot)
2. You shouldn't break your combo, meaning that you should go up straight and quick and the counter shouldn't restart.

1. In the one level I have been working on I do get all the gold. Even have to race another sheep to it.
2. I will have to monitor my combo meter and see if there is a spot where it's stopping. But in this particular level there are not any spots where I slow down or stop. I feel like a jedi doing it.

Must be something I'm missing though.

Thanks

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
_dementia said:
th_ghost4.gif

This is what I was thinking... a homage to GNG and also some of the levels are very reminiscent in theme of Castlevania
(Clock tower, Cathedral).

Nora Kisaragi said:
There is a homage to that in this game. Somewhere.
djtiesto said:
This is what I was thinking... a homage to GNG and also some of the levels are very reminiscent in theme of Castlevania
(Clock tower, Cathedral).

I also noticed
"What a horrible night for a curse" or something similar, referencing Castlevania II

schwall20

Banned
I keep trying to convince myself to like this game, I love Atlus, but this game is zoo frustrating. I'm on like the 4th night I think ,the torture chambers, I feel I should at least finish but when I play it, the character movements piss me off so much. Is there anything rewarding towards the end, like Demon's Souls or is it gonna be just a play through? At that point I may trade it in for Deus Ex this week.

schwall20 said:
I keep trying to convince myself to like this game, I love Atlus, but this game is zoo frustrating. I'm on like the 4th night I think ,the torture chambers, I feel I should at least finish but when I play it, the character movements piss me off so much. Is there anything rewarding towards the end, like Demon's Souls or is it gonna be just a play through? At that point I may trade it in for Deus Ex this week.
I ended up liking the game's story a lot. I would recommend you try Easy mode. Theres a button to undo actions.

LiK

schwall20 said:
Play on Easy for your first playthrough. Since you can change difficulty any time at Stray Sheep and retry the same levels at higher difficulties for Gold.

Nix

Banned
So I'm on 7-3, and I have no idea how to advance. It seems impossible, so for about 20 minutes I'm making a freaking staircase on the backside of the blocks, continously, and then going in and out of them, to check progress. I was short one block of getting to the top.

I then proceed to rage, finally give up, and youtube the shit. Fuck me. Just fuck me. I can't believe it.
YOU HAVE TO SLIDE OFF THE BOX THERE!? WHAT THE FUCK!? WHAT, WHAT, HOLY SHIT
I felt like the stupidest shit in the world. Didn't even occur to me, even though I was pretty much doing the same exact freaking thing in the back. Wow, I was cursing the developers too. This is just...yeah, I feel really stupid right now.

Andrefpvs

Nix said:
So I'm on 7-3, and I have no idea how to advance. It seems impossible, so for about 20 minutes I'm making a freaking staircase on the backside of the blocks, continously, and then going in and out of them, to check progress. I was short one block of getting to the top.

I then proceed to rage, finally give up, and youtube the shit. Fuck me. Just fuck me. I can't believe it.
YOU HAVE TO SLIDE OFF THE BOX THERE!? WHAT THE FUCK!? WHAT, WHAT, HOLY SHIT
I felt like the stupidest shit in the world. Didn't even occur to me, even though I was pretty much doing the same exact freaking thing in the back. Wow, I was cursing the developers too. This is just...yeah, I feel really stupid right now.

It's even presented to you as a technique really early in the game.

Nix

Banned
Andrefpvs said:
It's even presented to you as a technique really early in the game.

I know, that's why I felt really dumb. I think it was because I was trying to avoid the unmovable blocks. Man, does this change everything.

Andrefpvs

Nix said:
I know, that's why I felt really dumb. I think it was because I was trying to avoid the unmovable blocks. Man, does this change everything.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I can't manage to beat Obelisk (a bonus level), despite knowing exactly what I should and shouldn't do on that stage :(

I finished this game a few days ago and have to say I adored it. The characters, story, and gameplay were all very charming. Bravo Atlus for making a mature game with themes not touched on in hardly any games.

Only one complaint, and that's the
final level. There were so many cheap death mechanics that it was awfully frustrating. Those meteors falling were unpredictable and often prevented me from beating it when I was at the end of the level. Unless I missed something, I didn't see a way of avoiding them unless I was lucky.

plasticpassion said:
Only one complaint, and that's the final level.
There were so many cheap death mechanics that it was awfully frustrating. Those meteors falling were unpredictable and often prevented me from beating it when I was at the end of the level. Unless I missed something, I didn't see a way of avoiding them unless I was lucky.

If you climb fast enough the meteors are a non-issue since they can only fall in layers.

And really the last section of blocks isn't nearly hard enough for you to let them get catch up to you.

Fimbulvetr said:
If you climb fast enough the meteors are a non-issue since they can only fall in layers.

And really the last section of blocks isn't nearly hard enough for you to let them get catch up to you.

They caught me a few times when I was hanging towards the end.

JEKKI

today is the last day to play before Deus Ex comes and destroys us all!!!

I am on 7-5, hope to make it to 9-1 by end of day!

Top Bottom