• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

Kind of late to the party but yeah, this game is pretty awesome. Made my way through and got the True Lover ending with waifu Katherine. I'm playing it again to get the Catherine ending and to get gold on all the stages (up to 6-2). With the buffer created by the fact that I wanna finish in the red, I'm answering the questions more honestly this time and it's a lot more enjoyable. I'm guessing players picked the Katherine answers (like I did) because we're all secretly gaming white knights.

As far as criticism goes, and I really like the puzzles, the controls kind of suck. One thing that consistently happens is that I'll be pulling blocks trying to make some stairs and as soon as I've pulled the one out, expecting to start pulling the next one immediately, I swing around the back of the block. It's such a pain in the ass to navigate from behind blocks that I just press undo when this happens. That's probably the main reason why I don't want to play on hard. Especially if I press grab/pull instinctively for the next block.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit. Maybe starting on Hard wasn't such a good idea. :lol Shit be crazy with the time limit and barely escaped the first boss.

If I turn the difficulty down and continue the stages, I can switch it back to Hard on replaying the stages for the Golds for Golden Boy, right CJ?

TheSeks

Okay, golding them on replay wasn't so bad, so I guess I'll focus on surviving and do that. But how the hell am I supposed to replay stage 9 if that's the end game one? :/

Also Babel is kicking my ass. Best I've gotten is stair 49 before the game suddenly throws two cracked blocks at me and I have no way to build stairs with EITHER of them in time to climb past them to solid ground before they crack. :|

cj_iwakura

Holy shit. Maybe starting on Hard wasn't such a good idea. :lol Shit be crazy with the time limit and barely escaped the first boss.

If I turn the difficulty down and continue the stages, I can switch it back to Hard on replaying the stages for the Golds for Golden Boy, right CJ?

Yep. Under no circumstances do I advise Hard on a first go. Haven't even golded it yet. (Did clear it though!)

You can replay Stage 9 once you clear the game, on NG+.

Babel... well. You don't know what hell is yet.

TheSeks

Surviving by following the videos for gold isn't too bad, but since it's my first playthrough it throws the tutorial at me (which is good) which throws a wrench in attempting to gold it on Hard first run (which is bad). I'm mostly doing it to knock "The Golden Child" out in one go with the rest of it.

I've attempted Babel like 40 times already on Altar and it isn't too bad watching what I'm doing, but it's those stupid cracked blocks that murder me. I can't seem plan around them and I generally try to avoid them if I can.

I watched someone play it and reach 150 by making safe landings. Maybe I need to do that.

TheSeks

Geez, the third area's boss is crazy. Gotta avoid it's projectiles otherwise 180 all your controls. D:

Just started playing this. I think starting on the normal difficulty level was a mistake. >_> I heard it was hard even on normal, but this might be a bit too much for me.

My first major gripe with the game so far is that the sound mixing is terrible. The music is too loud relative to the voice acting, and then the sound during the animated cutscenes is louder than the rest of the game. The lack of options to adjust the sound levels is dumbfounding. WTF Atlus USA, this is unacceptable. Speaking of options, you can't even turn off the subtitles. *facepalm*

Another thing that really irks me is that the animated cutscenes are compressed. I could understand if I was playing the 360 version, but I'm not. >:| I can't blame Atlus USA for this one, assuming it was out of their hands. Still, this is unacceptable.

The gameplay is fun but rather challenging. I'm playing this primarily for the story, so I think I'll lower the difficulty. I really like the text message reply system. I don't like how binary the first confessional question was. The voice acting could be much better, I'll blame the ADR director. The scene between Katherine and Vincent was very stilted, as was the scene with Vincent and his friends at the bar. I really hope it improves as the game goes along.

Kazzy

Just started playing this. I think starting on the normal difficulty level was a mistake. >_> I heard it was hard even on normal, but this might be a bit too much for me.

My first major gripe with the game so far is that the sound mixing is terrible. The music is too loud relative to the voice acting, and then the sound during the animated cutscenes is louder than the rest of the game. The lack of options to adjust the sound levels is dumbfounding. WTF Atlus USA, this is unacceptable. Speaking of options, you can't even turn off the subtitles. *facepalm*

Yep, I have no qualms about saying that this game is hard, I managed to struggle through on normal but it gets ridiculous towards the end. If the story is your main draw, then I'd suggest you just play it through on easy, it can be a deceptively long game.

So they never fixed the sound issue then? That's really poor, I had to resort to playing it with headphones as I got sick of having to adjust the volume.

Bail out now, while you still can.
I'm not amazing at puzzles, but I struggled on several levels on easy.

I thought maybe it was just me, but I made my friend (who is a puzzle maniac) give it a try on easy, and even he was having some trouble at times.

cj_iwakura

Another thing that really irks me is that the animated cutscenes are compressed. I could understand if I was playing the 360 version, but I'm not. >:| I can't blame Atlus USA for this one, assuming it was out of their hands. Still, this is unacceptable.

The gameplay is fun but rather challenging. I'm playing this primarily for the story, so I think I'll lower the difficulty. I really like the text message reply system. I don't like how binary the first confessional question was. The voice acting could be much better, I'll blame the ADR director. The scene between Katherine and Vincent was very stilted, as was the scene with Vincent and his friends at the bar. I really hope it improves as the game goes along.

You can turn the subtitles off. Press select.

IMO, the VA is great.

The only JP VO I liked more was Jonathan and Katherine.

Orlando US >> Orlando JP. Boss is great, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lBSAZuQ1o0

aceface

I played through the game on normal, never did easy...

It is hard, at first, but the game does a great job of teaching you the tricks you need to beat the levels. Pay attention to the strategies the sheep go through on the landings. As I got better I could start to "see" things that I couldn't before and soon I was breezing through the levels. And I'm no puzzle game expert. So, what I think what I'm trying to say is, I thought the difficulty level in this game was awesome and it really made beating the levels feel rewarding.

All that said, I could never do hard. I relied on undo way too much, haha.

Pollux

On the last stage now
the "heaven part"
I with I had gotten this game earlier, it's turning into one of my favorite games of the year. Mainly because I love the puzzles so damn much, which is surprising since I normally hate puzzles in games.

Figured it was worth bumping this instead of making a "lttp" thread :lol

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Completed this last night. I had actually started this up last year when it was fresh, but for whatever reason, I guess I was on crank or some shit, I didn't like it so I passed on it. I can't even comprehend why now, Jesus. But! A couple months ago I had the suspicion that I didn't give this game a fair shot or something, and hey, I was right. Catherine's an awesome game, all in all.

Really, I don't have much else to add, everyone else has picked this thing apart and all, but whatever. Catherine's a fantastic ride, super rewarding feeling after completing stages and whatnot. Solving puzzles hasn't been this rewarding for me since, well, ever. Complete triumph solving these things on my own; always a smile on my face after I reached the end, a total I did it! feeling that so many games lack for me these days. The story itself took so many fascinating twists and turns, I couldn't help but get sucked in, too. Again - wtf was I thinking last year? :(

I can't even say I had any real major complaints, either. Just an exciting ride, through and through. Really wish I had nutted up and did this thing. So yeah, nothing really new to add here to this thread, but maybe, just maybe, for those who abandoned this early on like I did, they'll read this and decide to give it another chance too. Catherine's worth it. I assure you! So gratifying. One of 2011's finest.

(Full C all the way, by the way~)

Shiryu

Neo Member
Captures the feeling exactly, I also really loved this game once I got sucked into the story.

Although I haven't had the chance to start the game on Hard, and I almost finished Babel Altar.
Right now I'm focusing on getting the three different story endings considering I went for Gold on all the levels on Normal.
The undo button is really overpowered and makes getting Gold pretty easy (just use it once your combo ended/is going to end).

When I tried Obelisk or Axis Mundi, I realised Altar was entry level. @_@

Crispy

I'm going through the story for the second time now, getting golds on normal and going for the red answers. The first time I finished the game I had both blue and red answers, which resulted in a rather mediocre ending, so this time I hope it will go better.

Meanwhile Babel is owning me hard (is there any way to shut up the Voice over that yells new record at every step?) and I'm having a lot of fun with Rapunzel. This game sure has a lot of content for a game about pushing blocks!

Just beat it for the first time...it was way better than I expected. In fact it was quite excellent, this game has a surprisingly deep gameplay and rich content to it.

The ending I got is
Vincent marrying Katherine...also LOL at Eric, epic trap is epic !

Can't wait for the eventual Persona game using this engine.

I've fallen into the Atlus/Persona 3/4 hole again, and it got me thinking about Catherine. Anyway, did this game end up being successful for Atlus? What was its final sales? Has Atlus commented on its success/failure, and the possibility for other games like it? Considering how small this game felt (not many locales, and the game itself is quite basic), Catherine always felt like proof of concept for Persona 5's animations and such.

Vally

I've fallen into the Atlus/Persona 3/4 hole again, and it got me thinking about Catherine. Anyway, did this game end up being successful for Atlus? What was its final sales? Has Atlus commented on its success/failure, and the possibility for other games like it? Considering how small this game felt (not many locales, and the game itself is quite basic), Catherine always felt like proof of concept for Persona 5's animations and such.

Atlus said Catherine sold 200k in the first week in USA, though that figure was actually units shipped to retail, not sure about the actual sales. Other games like it are definitely possible since they said in an interview from last year that they were planning to expand the Catherine franchise.

So, I've been playing through the game again.

I really hate the block puzzle parts. Not only are the fairly easy, but as a result, they are tedious. I have to "play the game" to just enjoy the story. I wish this game just had a mode where you can watch the story parts, a la Perfect Dark on the N64 where you could just watch the cinematics.

Also, my memories of this game are a lot better than what it actually was. The story is ludicrous, the main character is a complete jerk, and while the in game models/cutscenes are fantastic, the actual anime scenes are crap. The voice acting is top notch, however.

I'm on day 6, I think, of the story, and I don't know if I'm going to finish it. The puzzles are boring, the story is crazy and totally inconsistent, and even the stuff at the bar is a little baffling since it is all done in "real time" without much given to what is happening.

There are some interesting things happening in this game but not enough to satisfy me. I really wish they would do a sequel or put this tech to use in the Persona 5 game.

So, I've been playing through the game again.

I really hate the block puzzle parts. Not only are the fairly easy, but as a result, they are tedious. I have to "play the game" to just enjoy the story. I wish this game just had a mode where you can watch the story parts, a la Perfect Dark on the N64 where you could just watch the cinematics.

Also, my memories of this game are a lot better than what it actually was. The story is ludicrous, the main character is a complete jerk, and while the in game models/cutscenes are fantastic, the actual anime scenes are crap. The voice acting is top notch, however.

I'm on day 6, I think, of the story, and I don't know if I'm going to finish it. The puzzles are boring, the story is crazy and totally inconsistent, and even the stuff at the bar is a little baffling since it is all done in "real time" without much given to what is happening.

There are some interesting things happening in this game but not enough to satisfy me. I really wish they would do a sequel or put this tech to use in the Persona 5 game.

You say the game is easy...are you playing on the hardest level? Are you collecting all the cash? Come back when you get gold medals on every board on the hardest level and then whine that the game is too easy.

Andrefpvs

After all this time... I finally got the Platinum trophy!! It feels sooooooo good! And right before Persona 4 Golden is released here! YES ^_^

Andrefpvs

What.

You are a machine. Congrats.

Is there a trophy for Axis Mundi?

Thank you! And yes, Axis Mundi has a trophy, and as you expect, it's the hardest. Took me almost a year from the time I started trying to climb it to today, when I finally did it (at least 40 tries in total). I felt like such a boss! This game is great fun in a masochistic kind of way.

I can definitely say that I mastered this game, but I never want to climb Axis Mundi ever again!

I love the look of this game, I like the premise and music so far......but I'm just not good enough at puzzles to play the main action part of the game. On my third tower or whatever you call it and I can barely get off the first quarter of it before stupidly stuck.

Very sad as this game is nothing like I'd usually play but was of PS+ so thought I'd give it go. Oh well.

Andrefpvs

I love the look of this game, I like the premise and music so far......but I'm just not good enough at puzzles to play the main action part of the game. On my third tower or whatever you call it and I can barely get off the first quarter of it before stupidly stuck.

Very sad as this game is nothing like I'd usually play but was of PS+ so thought I'd give it go. Oh well.

Switch to the easiest difficulty, it's still enjoyable that way.

...I'm contemplating going for the Platinum in the European version as well... I think there's a bit of crazy in me.

Dantis

Switch to the easiest difficulty, it's still enjoyable that way.

...I'm contemplating going for the Platinum in the European version as well... I think there's a bit of crazy in me.

WAIT.

Is it a seperate trophy list? I hadn't even thought of this.

Danj

I picked this up for free as I have PS+, managed to get through the first three levels without too much trouble but am now stuck on the
Fists of Grudge
. GameFAQs is no real help, anyone got any tips? And yeah I'm already on Easy as I heard about how hard this game is but figured for free it was worth a try.

Andrefpvs

I picked this up for free as I have PS+, managed to get through the first three levels without too much trouble but am now stuck on the
Fists of Grudge
. GameFAQs is no real help, anyone got any tips? And yeah I'm already on Easy as I heard about how hard this game is but figured for free it was worth a try.

Farm pillows (collect pillow, restart, collect pillow, an so on) in the early levels so you can always restart from checkpoints. If you can't get past a part no matter what you do, YouTube it.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I'm sure somebody already asked this. :lol

I beat the game, now I loaded a previous save, night 8 at the Stray Sheep, but I can't replay the Empireo, the last stage... What do I have to do to make it appear in the cellphone?

cj_iwakura

Cleared all 128 of Rapunzel. Good lord. It goes to mind games that the main game never even touches. Nightmarish stuff.

Ending was interesting too, though I saw where it was going by stage 100 or so.

Six endings and all golds on hard to go!

Andrefpvs

Cleared all 128 of Rapunzel. Good lord. It goes to mind games that the main game never even touches. Nightmarish stuff.

Ending was interesting too, though I saw where it was going by stage 100 or so.

Six endings and all golds on hard to go!

Awesome! It's only a matter of time as well since you already have Axis Mundi out of the way :)

cj_iwakura

Weird. Tried to get Catherine Good and wound up with Katherine Good, and I'm on the Max Chaos path and everything.

Chose Left/Left/Right.

I did get Catherine Bad though!

cj_iwakura

So I just realized I can skip stages on my all gold Normal file. Whoops!

And here I am on a Catherine ending route on a max Order path. Guess I'll see which ending my choices lead to.

cj_iwakura

Ha ha, whoops indeed. Got Catherine Good in under ten minutes thanks to Skip.

I can easily get two of the three I'm missing, but I'll still need a replay for True Freedom, since I have no Pure Neutral save.

Catherine Good was awesome, even though I've seen Catherine True.

What in the FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Cathy CGs were priceless as well.

Fabrik

Banned
A puzzle game with a time limit is a big no-no. I played the first few puzzles and it's not my idea of fun. Time to return to Crashmo.

cj_iwakura

Under 10 minutes? Who is this Skip?

Once you gold all stages, you can skip them by pressing start. I was at the start of stage 9.

I went from a new game to True Freedom ending in around an hour and a half.

Mostly because of the choices. Chaos, Law, Chaos, Law, etc. I had to pick two Chaos options right before the end just to be sure I was in the middle.

Top Bottom