• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

I just beat the game and got the True Freedom ending.

Vincent being all "fuck ya'll, I'm going to space" is perfect. Seriously though, much like the other neutral SMT endings, this ending is great. I watched the other endings online (I really doubt I'll play through the game again), and this one had the best sense of closure. One of my biggest gripes with Vincent throughout the game was the fact that he was so wishy-washy with the whole C/Katherine situation, but this ending just makes that work because it gives the sense that he truly wasn't ready; he needed to live his dreams first. *tear*

Now, we just need P5 or a real (aka console) SMTIV.

cj_iwakura

Dear Obelisk,

Nearly a year later, and you can still rot in the hades.

Hatefully,

cj

You get a frustrating opening, a fun yet ridiculously random middle section(hi bomb string!), then the tower jumping finale from hell. Ech.

I'd rather be doing Axis Mundi.

cj_iwakura

Oh my god, just saw the true chaos ending.

Oh my GOD. Wow. That was... beautiful.

You're not taking my BAAABYYY!!!!!

Holy crap was that amazing.

cj_iwakura

Can't believe that (True Catherine)
her father is Nergal.

Plague god much?

The ending after the credits was even better.

Grisby

cj_iwakura said:
Can't believe that (True Catherine)
her father is Nergal.

Plague god much?

The ending after the credits was even better.
Ha ha, yeah I got that and the True Katherine deal. It was a good polar opposite ending. I almost want a new game set in the True Catherine ending.

Vally

A friend came over today and we beat Obelisk in pairs; we also tried to beat Axis Mundi and it's still hard but definitely easier than in Single mode. If I manage to beat Axis maybe I'll think about going for the platinum.

Oh and Colosseum mode is the best thing ever. So many priceless moments, like getting crushed by the very block you are supposed to climb to win the round.

Oyashiro

Ugh, stuck on the last day :/ Huge difficulty spike in puzzles. The day before this one was fairly easy but this shit has me totally stumped.

CaVaYeRo

Deep Silver confirms February for PAL (no exact day), double reversible cover:

catherine_263797.jpg

Can't wait to play it!

wtf, february :lol
Atlus need a better way of getting their shit into pal land, it's getting ridiculous
Fortunately it's not been an issue this gen (region free DS/PSP/PS3) so I've just imported, but if everyone decided to go the Nintendo route we'd be fucked

Vally

Having reversible covers is a nice touch, but I'm so glad I imported the game back in summer, waiting until February would have been too much.

Woah this is like the greatest cosplay of Catherine ever.

http://i.imgur.com/7Y1o6.jpg[IMG]

And she only won second place.
[/QUOTE]

That's a really nice Catherine, although my favorite from the contest was this one:
[QUOTE][img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wildfire_production/media_files/2716478/b6e11c891b5ee0eb8c3836fa96641afa.jpg
914283f2df4df6b5c7edd8208fcf2451.jpg

The girl who won has better hair, though.

TTG

I finally started playing this game over the holiday weekend. Made it to the end of day 7 on normal so far, what a surprise! Started off thinking this is an arcade game with a shoehorned storyline to justify a full price, couldn't be further from the truth! What a great game, and now I'm actually interested in how the story turns out. Great puzzles, most of them at just the right difficulty. I got hung up on a stage in day 6 for like an hour, but that's alright. I would much rather have it go overboard every once in a while than the usual lowest common denominator frustration proof stuff. 4th Floor of of Day 7 is the highlight so far, but every floor has just enough of a twist to keep things fresh.

There's a lot of depth here too, I'm getting the same feeling I did running through Mirror's Edge the first time. There's too many times I hit upon a solution and I don't know quite why it worked and previous attempts didn't, a lot to come back for. Not to mention I all but gave up on getting anything other than a bronze, just trying to survive. I might not go back for a second play through for a while, there's other stuff in the queue, but there's no doubt I'll be revisiting eventually. LTTP, but I had to post some impressions, great game!

Dear Obelisk,

Nearly a year later, and you can still rot in the hades.

Hatefully,

cj

You get a frustrating opening, a fun yet ridiculously random middle section(hi bomb string!), then the tower jumping finale from hell. Ech.

I'd rather be doing Axis Mundi.

yeah im stuck on this one atm, highest is like 80 some steps.. x_x so many randoms i cant even set up right!! and havent tried axis mundi yet.

TTG

Woo, finally finished, took me some 15 hours on normal. I figure about 2 of those hours were spent on 2 floors where I didn't see a solution that was obvious. Another 2 running around talking to everyone for as long as possible... still very long for a puzzle game! Start to finish in a Thanksgiving weekend may have been going overboard though, I'm seeing cubes when I close my eyes.

I beat Hard Mode a few weeks ago. Among the final levels,
9-1 and 9-2 took me the most number of retries to gold. I somehow managed to gold 9-3 and 9-4 in one try, while the last two boss levels weren't significantly harder and golded them within 5 tries each.
Fuck curtain and monster blocks.

On a related note, I died on Obelisk at >100 floors because I was climbing onto a monster block, which moved away at the moment I tried to climb on. I fell to my death immediately.

Vally

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-01-catherine-stray-sheep-edition-coming-to-europe

ssedition.jpg

An exclusive T-Shirt that is a replica of the Rave-T-Shirt that Vincent wears in the game.
Two Stray Sheep bar-themed coasters.
A seductive Catherine poster that is exclusively available in this deluxe edition.
A pizza delivery box from the Stray Sheep Bar that serves as the packaging for all the extra items found in the European deluxe edition.

No boxers for Europe :p. I'm glad I imported the Love is Over edition, I like it better than this one.

K' Dash

I bought this on Black Friday, started 2 days ago and I'm in love with the game, I had a similar situation a few years ago and I can completely relate to Vincent, lol, I just beat the third night and the shit that happens after that is completely epic, My God, gameplay and story on Catherine are AAA++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Can't wait to get out of work and continue.

K' Dash

Good to hear K' Dash. I wish I could play it again for the first time.

Oh man, I'm tasting every second, I don't want it to end, I love the characters and the VA is surprisingly good, I'm answering everything and doing everything as I would do in a situation like that, I'm having so much fun, damn.

I bought the US-Verson today (couldn't wait for german release next year) an I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. The story is interesting and the characters are great. The stages are also a lot of fun, but...

- the game seems much shorter than I expected (4 hours in, already at day 5). I talked to everyone, tried everything
- Only a few decisions. I have no influence on the really important questions (tell my girlfriend the truth? Keep meeting Catherine?Lie on both of them? Tell them the truth? No! You have to do what the game wants you to do. You can just change the phrasing).
- I can't see myself playing through the game again and again if the dialogues and decisions are the same every time (with only little variations)
- I expected more nightmare stages (I saw the number in "catherine wiki")

Nonetheless I enjoy this game and my first playthrough. I hope there's more to come or I'm already done tomorrow which would be a shame :/

Feep

Banned
Picked up this game on Black Friday, got around to playing through it recently.

Boss of the 4th Floor gave me a spot of trouble, but 6-3 really kicked my ass for awhile. No early checkpoint, and some real tough block patterns right near the start. 6-4 was a breeze by comparison. I hope the seventh floor isn't too much rougher. = D

Also, I'm all about the blonde. This is a video game! It ain't called escapism for nothin'.

Picked up this game on Black Friday, got around to playing through it recently.

Boss of the 4th Floor gave me a spot of trouble, but 6-3 really kicked my ass for awhile. No early checkpoint, and some real tough block patterns right near the start. 6-4 was a breeze by comparison. I hope the seventh floor isn't too much rougher. = D

Also, I'm all about the blonde. This is a video game! It ain't called escapism for nothin'.

Level 6 was where I first had trouble too,

I wish I would have done this. I'm only on the 4th day but
Katherine is such a rude ass bitch. I usually go for the "good" storylines in games but I really can't stand her. :(

I definitely choose Catherine
Hey, it's a videogame!

In real life I would choose

Catherine

:/

Well if I were single of course....hehe.....hehehehee...HAHAHAHAHA

Nelo Ice

Banned
So the 360 version of the "Love is Over" edition is $30 on amazon right now. Slightly tempted even though the CE is absolutely ridiculous.

Psy-Phi

$30 eh? I just returned the game to Gamefly on Monday, PS3 version though. I'd like to play through it more, considering it on the 360. I really need a slim (my big one is so loud I don't like playing Disc games on it).
I wish I would have done this. I'm only on the 4th day but
Katherine is such a rude ass bitch. I usually go for the "good" storylines in games but I really can't stand her. :(

I feel like Katherine's is acting well within reason. I was happy to steer Vincent in the direction I would have chosen. Catherine's fun and all, but she came on a little too hard, I never really trusted her.

F#A#Oo

Banned
If you have to ask, then probably no.

I would sell the backlog and buy this with the earnings though.

I'm not selling...even though deep down I probably won't finish a 1/3 of the backlog... :/

I will probably pick this up like any other game I pick up when it drops in price £10-£15...can't resist a bargain... :D

Pachinko

I finally finished this last week. Now I'm playing though for the "free" ending.

Anyone else experience massive issues with the game crashing constantly ? Playing on ps3 here. I've never had a game lock up this frequently before, I even had some sort of error string pop up at the top of the screen during a cutscene earlier. Sometimes I can play 2-3 nights in a sitting with no problems , other times the game simply won't let me play more then 5 minutes at a time.

cj_iwakura

Never happened to me either. JP or US.

That said, 1P Axis Mundi in the US version is unplayable.

The early formations are impossible, and the blocks fall faster than they should.

Clott

I wish someone would make that rave decal and put them on American apparel tshirts, I would buy one in a heart beat.

mudkyp

I'm trying this game again after rage quitting when it came out. Using guides to temper the rage and playing slowly. Much more manageable and enjoyable this way for me.

Top Bottom