• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS: Donald Trump picks Gen. John Kelly for Department of Homeland Security secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-gen-john-kelly-dhs-secretary-department-homeland-security/

Donald Trump is tapping Gen. John Kelly to run the Department of Homeland Security, CBS News confirms.

The final request and acceptance, sources told CBS’ Major Garrett, occurred while Kelly was traveling in Europe. His pick for DHS secretary will be announced by the transition staff in the coming days.

Unlike Flynn, Kelly did not endorse Mr. Trump during the campaign and indicated he would be open to serving in either a Republican or Democratic administration. He has also referred to domestic politics as a “cesspool” in an interview over the summer with Foreign Policy magazine.

Well at least it's not Sheriff Clarke. Don't know much about John Kelly but he seems like he'd have the requisite experience for a role like this.

He also lost his son in the war

General Kelly is the highest ranking U.S. military officer to have lost a child in combat operations in Southwest Asia. His youngest son, 1st Lieutenant Robert Michael Kelly, was killed in action in Sangin, Afghanistan on November 9, 2010. The younger Kelly was a former enlisted Marine and was on his third combat tour, but on his first combat tour as a U.S. Marine Corps infantry officer. At the time of his death, 1stLt Kelly was with Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines. Kelly's eldest child is a Marine Corps major.

Barzul

Are all the positions going to be filled by military?

Doubt it. Romney is definitely a shoe in for SoS after this pick. I honestly do not have many qualms with military leaders in some of these positions. They should be able to relay the consequences of actions more directly to Trump. He's gonna need that.

FyreWulff

On a scale between The Shocker and Superman Prime, how evil is this guy?

A full tilt on the "swamp factor" having been in for 40 years.

Generally hawkish on the border.

Full hawk on making war.

Requires all his employees to visit the Holocaust Museum (the only real plus I agree with him on)

Not a shitshow but not going to really make things better from my view. As MH said, Romney-tier pick.

Steejee

While I'm not fond of the number of Generals getting cabinet picks, this is about an infinity times better than Clarke.

Someday I hope he appoints a diplomat to something. Though I can't imagine anyone else but Romney becoming the SoS at this point but it'll still make me feel better hearing it out load.

Alucrid

Banned

Full hawk on making war.

Requires all his employees to visit the Holocaust Museum (the only real plus I agree with him on)

Not a shitshow but not going to really make things better from my view. As MH said, Romney-tier pick.

there's a joke there somewhere. i wonder if trump has ever been

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donal...-department-of-homeland-security-trump-232210

Kelly, 66, whose military career spanned more than four decades, retired earlier this year as the chief of U.S. Southern Command. In that post, where he oversaw military operations in most of Central and South America, he publicly clashed with the Obama administration on its plans – which were never executed – to close Guantanamo Bay and dismissed as “foolishness” concerns that the military’s treatment of detainees at the facility had cost the U.S. the moral high ground in the War on Terror.

Not thrilled about stuff like that, to be honest. Better than a Clarke, but it'll be interesting to see what else, if anything, might come up during confirmation.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Full hawk on making war.

Well, you didn't mention that he's a neo-nazi or that he is pushing for genocide, so I'll consider that a good thing given the way things have been going.

Lautaro

Is it normal for the US to have many ex-military in the government?

At least here in South America when a president starts putting ex-military in their cabinet, people start worrying.

Pagusas

Elden Member

At least here in South America when a president starts putting ex-military in their cabinet, people start worrying.

Yes, all of our presidents until now have either been from the political world or military world. The role of this specific title requires someone with military or intelligence background. I dont believe most US citizens fear our military and the people that come from it, rather we have a large respect for them and see them as good guys. We dont have military coups in our history.

Dierce

Orange turd is going to make South American government corruption look like utopias. This is what we get when people are blatantly ignorant of how the world works.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Based on this, he just sounds like a hardass but thankfully not a complete madman like Clarke

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yes, all of our presidents until now have either been from the political world or military world. The role of this specific title requires someone with military or intelligence background. I dont believe most US citizens fear our military and the people that come from it, rather we have a large respect for them and see them as good guys. We dont have military coups in our history.

We aren't talking about presidents. The current Secretary doesn't have military experience. There's a reason why the seven year thing for Secretary of Defense exists. Secretary of Homeland Security is a domestic focused position which makes this even weirder. Tom Ridge had not been in the military since Vietnam. Only silverlining in this is that Kelly's public history doesn't sound terrible. He literally just retired this year.

The National Security Act of 1947 states that a secretary of defense will be appointed "from civilian life" by the president. The law calls for a grace period of ten years before an active duty officer can hold the post, though Congress knocked down the waiting period to seven years in 2008.

Thank Christ it's not Clarke. As has been mentioned before, his policies would be:

- Turn all major metropolitan cities into police states
- Give the police unquestionable power, not just stop and frisk, basically give them a license to kill without consequence.
- Unabashedly, unashamedly target Blacks, Hispanics, and Muslims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom