• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS refuses to give Asian stars in Hawaii Five-0 equal pay, they leave

Fuchsdh

I only saw the first season and Caan and the other guy were clearly the two leads of it. But it must have evolved after that to be a spread out ensemble

Pretty wack move of cbs. I think if enough people make noise though they might cave

I assume this is their power play as well. The optics don't look good. But I dunno if it'll really make them reconsider. If it doesn't at least they have a chance to find other roles rather than stay on a show where they don't get anything on the back end.

It's amusing, since Daniel Day Kim and Grace Park are literally the only cast members who I could be bothered to recognize out of a line-up.

Same here, I had to google the other two. DDK was amazing on Lost.

'Women and minorities earn less because they don't negotiate as hard'

*Women and minority actors negotiate for equal pay*

'Couldn't be helped, we had to go a different direction'

Sigh...

You sum it up pretty well.

A show about/set in Hawaii where the "lead characters" are white, and there are no Asian/Hawaiians at all.

The main and heavily recurring cast was
2 White
4 Asian(until Masi Oka left)
1 Black
1 Hawaiian(maybe 2 if you count the police chief who appears almost every episode)
1 Hispanic/Latino

They are adding a new female character and going by the name is Hawaiian.... hopefully(though im leaving after this anyway)
Also likely because Park specifically is leaving, Ian Anthony Dale(only remaining Asian of the 4) will probably be dropped as he played her husband.

finowns

Wait Dano and McGarret get paid the same? Getting the same pay as McGarret would actually be more surprising; without him there isn't a show.

Syriel

Isn't Hawaii like predominantly Asian? As in, more Asians than whites?

Shouldn't the show reflect this too? I wonder where all the "but but accuracy in media" people are, the ones that pop up when we talk about diversity and they go "but the show should represent the surroundings"

Hawaii is predominantly Hawaiian, or Polynesian. Not asian. Not white.

Guys, don't get me wrong.

The main character of the show, the one most of the story revolves around earns 115k.
What would justify having them earning the same as him? Asian or not.

Isn't Hawaii like predominantly Asian? As in, more Asians than whites?

Shouldn't the show reflect this too? I wonder where all the "but but accuracy in media" people are, the ones that pop up when we talk about diversity and they go "but the show should represent the surroundings"
I always like to point to Grey's Anatomy as my favorite example. Hospital in Seattle; no Asian doctors.

Not saying they didn't deserve it, but an extra 10k for both actors per episode in which there latest seasons have been taping 25 episodes is a half million dollars in additional costs per season. It's not just some chump change.
I think it's a matter of principle. The amount is close, yeah, but why is the network so adamant that it cannot match the white actors' salary?

norm9

Suits will use this opportunity to say these selfish actors aren't team players. And that will justify less minorities on the screen. Can't trust em; what if they leave again after being paid? Thought they wanted representation? Etc etc

Are they getting equal screen time?
No.
Even the dude that gets to have multiple absences a season in the end likely has much more overall.

However Caan should be far below O'Loughlin regardless.

Mentioned earlier as someone who has watched since S1, the recent seasons screentimes are about:
O'Loughlin >>> Caan > Park > McBride > Kim >>> Garcia

Syriel

I stand corrected.

I could have sworn those of Polynesian descent were still the plurality, with asian and white following.

Didn't realize the native Hawaiian population had gotten so low.

Still, doesn't change the point that CBS is just being stupid. I only brought up the Hawaiian thing as (in most cases with a minority population) the native people are too often overlooked.

They are the two biggest/best known names on the show.

I don’t watch it but several people have posted they’re on screen much less than the leads. If they’s the case they don’t warrant the same pay. I don’t care because I watched two episodes just because I liked Lost and BSG and it was shit. If they’re actually featured as much as higher earning people they should get the same.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Excuse me, but Scott Caan is a major Hollywood actor with more acting credit than anyone on that show!

He was that one guy in Ocean's series, and Gone in 60 Seconds, and his major breakout hit of Varsity Blues put him on the Map! Which lead to starring roles in such critically acclaimed films as Ready to Rumble with his Co Star DDP and a major role on Entourage who nobody liked.

Syriel

I don't watch it but several people have posted they're on screen much less than the leads. If they's the case they don't warrant the same pay. I don't care because I watched two episodes just because I liked Lost and BSG and it was shit. If they're actually featured as much as higher earning people they should get the same.

RDJ has less screen time than other MCU actors in some of the MCU films.

Yet, he usually pulls in more.

To claim it should all be based on screen time (especially when one of the two making more has a limited role) is a fallacy.

Excuse me, but Scott Caan is a major Hollywood actor with more acting credit than anyone on that show!

He was that one guy in Ocean's series, and Gone in 60 Seconds, and his major breakout hit of Varsity Blues put him on the Map! Which lead to starring roles in such critically acclaimed films as Ready to Rumble with his Co Star DDP and a major role on Entourage who nobody liked.

This is the most I've laughed all day. You sir, are a master of sarcasm. :)

To claim it should all be based on screen time (especially when one of the two making more has a limited role) is a fallacy.

It's all based on leverage and perception of "value", particularly the perception of "value" execs believe you have.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
This is the most I've laughed all day. You sir, are a master of sarcasm. :)

Scott Caan is that guy that looks familiar because he's been in that 00's film you saw for 5 minutes, but left no impact.

First and third, at least according to Google Trends. Grace Park beats both, probably because she's an attractive woman.

Grace Park is damn sexy, but I'd also like to point out.

This would be her third highly successful series after Edgemont and BSG. She's been a successful show on Television for 17 years straight.

If she was white, she would have been popping up in films for the past 10 years alongside being the figure head of the show. While Alex O'Loughlin, this is his first highly successful thing. Park definitely put in her dues.

Grace Park is damn sexy, but I'd also like to point out.

This would be her third highly successful series after Edgemont and BSG. She's been a successful show on Television for 17 years straight.

If she was white, she would have been popping up in films for the past 10 years alongside being the figure head of the show. While Alex O'Loughlin, this is his first highly successful thing.

See, I thought about that, so then I ran one more search and added Tricia Helfer (who has done somewhere close to nothing of note since BSG ended). She still beats out Kim, and it's a toss up between her and Caan.

Scott Caan is that guy that looks familiar because he's been in that 00's film you saw for 5 minutes, but left no impact.

Say what you will but I'm guessing because of this he had more leverage and perception of "value" by the execs in negotiating his salary before the show started.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
See, I thought about that, so then I ran one more search and added Tricia Helfer (who has done somewhere close to nothing of note since BSG ended). She still beats out Kim, and it's a toss up between her and Caan.

Looking over it. It seems like she is between Caan and Kim till she gets a spike, corresponding with a new series she starts in. Both in 2014 and 2016.

Say what you will but I'm guessing because of this he had more leverage and perception of "value" by the execs in negotiating his salary before the show started.

Oh, I definitely agree. He came from movies. I definitely expected him to get the most right off the bat. And since he starts with the most, it's most likely if they raised Park and Kim, they'd have to raise him too. I can completely see why the studio wouldn't budge for that reason, but at the same time, it's also they do undervalue the other two in comparison to Alex. Who got the role without anything really successful under his belt prior.

Hawaii Five-0's main audience is loads of older people who have no clue who they are or watch it for them.

I on the other hand did initially watch for DDK because he was probably my #1 or #2 person on LOST by the end.
Sadly once I noticed how little he matters I just enjoy him while he is there and be happy he has a job.

It's based on worth, not screen time exclusively. But if they're not featured as much as other people than they're presumably not as valuable. It isn't an overly complex concept. The network isn't going to let them leave if they perceive them to be crucial to the show.

RDJ is a big star who won't work cheap and commands his pay. That's business.

Looking over it. It seems like she is between Caan and Kim till she gets a spike, corresponding with a new series she starts in. Both in 2014 and 2016.

If I had to guess, it's not just a new TV series, but possibly a new magazine spread/article to do promotion for said new series. I'd have to actually check back Maxim/FHM-type magazines/covers to test that hypothesis, though, and I kinda don't feel like it.

Top Bottom