• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS refuses to give Asian stars in Hawaii Five-0 equal pay, they leave

Future

Looked up Alex O’Loughlin's salary and he makes $115,000 / episode, so DDK and Grace are walking away from $100k / episode. That's a lot of money to make a stand on. Good for them but I couldn't do that.

They are already rich. They can make these stands and we need more people doing so to get things to change.

Loudninja

Looked up Alex O'Loughlin's salary and he makes $115,000 / episode, so DDK and Grace are walking away from $100k / episode. That's a lot of money to make a stand on. Good for them but I couldn't do that.
Not really the point.

They are all stars on the show they are getting paid less for no reason.

rjinaz

Serious question: if you're white, why would you want to see a non-white person on your TV more than a white person?

Grace Park is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my eyes, I say that as a White man. What a silly question. That even ignores acting talent which certainly isn't exclusive to White folks.

That's some bullshit.

On the plus side I'm glad Park and DDK have had a steady gig because I haven't kept up with them since BSG and Lost. Hopefully they land on their feet.

louiedog

I didn't even realize it was still on.

I only watched the first season and those two were my favorite characters and way better than O'Loughlin and Caan.

I think they get points/residuals for syndication whereas park and ddk didn't?

Someone correct me if wrong
Residuals are part of the standard union contract, everybody gets those, even the guy playing "Cop #2" in a random episode. What O'Loughlin and Caan are probably "getting" is a percentage of the profits, though given Hollywood accounting these deals are usually worthless unless the actor sues.

Anyway, it will at least be nice to see these two in something I might watch for a change.

Time for a Crusade reunion movie.

rjinaz

Looked up Alex O'Loughlin's salary and he makes $115,000 / episode, so DDK and Grace are walking away from $100k / episode. That's a lot of money to make a stand on. Good for them but I couldn't do that.

Think about the flipside though, they are willing to let these actors walk for just 10k-15k because they don't want to pay them as much as the White actors. The fuck? Those two are fan favorites. I told my Mom who's a fan and she was seriously bummed.

Savitar

CBS is known to be a tough negotiator, a few years back people were stunned when one of the main NCIS actresses left the show due to failed negotiations. They're probably regretting it now with with another main cast member leaving in the last two years.

I find it hard to feel bad for people making 100k plus per episode because they want even more. If anything they should cut the pay of the other guys to make it equal. The only way it would make sense to pay some people more is if they are more central characters than the others.

rjinaz

I find it hard to feel bad for people making 100k plus per episode because they want even more. If anything they should cut the pay of the other guys to make it equal. The only way it would make sense to pay some people more is if they are more central characters than the others.

There is discrimination and unfair practices. I don't feel bad for them because they are not making another 10k when I would LOVE just making 10k every month, hell every 2 months. But that's not really the point.

Residuals are part of the standard union contract, everybody gets those, even the guy playing "Cop #2" in a random episode. What O'Loughlin and Caan are probably "getting" is a percentage of the profits, though given Hollywood accounting these deals are usually worthless unless the actor sues.

TV shows are a little different. Points on syndication can be a gigantic amount of money.

strafer

Don't give them ideas...

OiVdNE4.jpg

V0Lxa.gif

So you feel the executives at CBS deserve the money more? Because a successful TV series makes a ton of money, and someone will be getting it, and it sure as hell isn't going to be starving children.

EDIT:

TV shows are a little different. Points on syndication can be a gigantic amount of money.
If they can get points on the gross, not the net profits, but AFAIK very, very few actors are in a position to demand that.

Nabs

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/daniel-dae-kim-grace-park-hawaii-five-0-1202484329/

CBS's final offer to Kim and Park was believed to have been 10-15% lower than what O'Loughlin and Caan make in salary. O'Laughlin and Caan each have deals that also provide them percentage points on the show's back end

The funny thing about this is that Caan has a deal where he only has to appear in half the episodes because he wants to spend more time on the mainland. So they were fine paying him the same money to do less, but not the "ethnic" supporting cast who had to work more to make up for his absences.

Stick 'em up, indeed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16phjLFcH-4&t=0s

Good on them for doing what they had to.

Future

So you feel the executives at CBS deserve the money more? Because a successful TV series makes a ton of money, and someone will be getting it, it sure as hell isn't going to starving children.

EDIT:

If they can get points on the gross, not the profits, but AFAIK very, very few actors are in a position to demand that.

Or maybe they think the money is all going to some cbs savings fund that they use soley to hire more people, create jobs, or expand the economy!

Pay inrease or pay cut, this is about equality. Not the need to for 15k more an episode

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah. So it seems O'Loughlin's increase was justified, but not Caan's?
They were cast as the two leads, so that's all there is to it.
In terms of the character arcs, they all had equal time. Hell, they had an arc where they invaded Mexico to save DDK's niece. lol

Won

Wow. Rarely ever watched that show, but they were always the face of the show for me. Good on them. Let's hope the show tanks now.

Sean C

CBS has a history of being chintzy in some situations like this. Cote de Pablo left NCIS after, what, ten years because they wouldn't pay her closer to Harmon and Weatherly?

T.v

Good on them for standing up to the studio. But from the few seasons i have seen it was obvious that Caan and O'loughlin's characters were the clear leads.

pHand

"Ohana means family. Family means getting paid less than your white brethren. But if you want to leave, you can. We won't remember you, though. We don't remember any Asian who leaves. Masi Oka who?"

Think about the flipside though, they are willing to let these actors walk for just 10k-15k because they don't want to pay them as much as the White actors. The fuck? Those two are fan favorites. I told my Mom who's a fan and she was seriously bummed.

This is the part I don't understand. They came so close to a deal (within 10%) but couldn't find middle ground in negotiations? The studio couldn't spare 10k per episode per person? The stars were willing to walk away from a season 8 salary because of 10k? Feels like something else must have gone wrong for them to get so close and then the actors walked.

In any case, it's probably the last season of the show. It has been on the bubble for 2-3 years now. It's a Friday show so it's ratings don't even matter. Maybe this is an indication that this is going to be a very tight budget season.

Syriel

Serious question: if you're white, why would you want to see a non-white person on your TV more than a white person?

1) Ethnicity doesn't determine acting skill.
2) Ethnicity doesn't determine quality of looks.

It doesn't matter if you're looking for art or just plain eye candy, diversity is better.

What kind of person deliberately seeks out "all white cast" as a requirement? David Duke?

Those two were the best characters on the show, so I hope it tanks now.

These two were always the face of the show for me. The other two guys always felt like supporting characters when I watched.

GavinUK86

I still haven't watched the last few episodes of last season but this news sucks. Fuck H50 now. That shit is disgusting. How you gonna have a show set in Hawaii and not have any Asian characters on the team.

Because as a consumer of entertainment media, diversity is inherently more interesting than the same group of people in everything everywhere, and as not-an-asshole I favor a world where people of different races/ethnic backgrounds get opportunities at not-cut-rate wages.

This is the part I don't understand. They came so close to a deal (within 10%) but couldn't find middle ground in negotiations? The studio couldn't spare 10k per episode per person? The stars were willing to walk away from a season 8 salary because of 10k? Feels like something else must have gone wrong for them to get so close and then the actors walked.

In any case, it's probably the last season of the show. It has been on the bubble for 2-3 years now. It's a Friday show so it's ratings don't even matter. Maybe this is an indication that this is going to be a very tight budget season.

Not saying they didn't deserve it, but an extra 10k for both actors per episode in which there latest seasons have been taping 25 episodes is a half million dollars in additional costs per season. It's not just some chump change.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
1) Ethnicity doesn't determine acting skill.
2) Ethnicity doesn't determine quality of looks.

It doesn't matter if you're looking for art or just plain eye candy, diversity is better.

What kind of person deliberately seeks out "all white cast" as a requirement? David Duke?

its quite sad the majority of shows star a whole white cast.

I mean, you can call it an 'affirmative action' if you will, but boosting POC representation in film and TV should be a priority. Asian Americans, in particular, are sorely underrepresented in media. And not just in number of roles, but quality of roles.

It's a remake of an old 80's show. To be fair the show has a very diverse cast and use a lot of Hawaiian actors.

As for the two actors leaving, unfortunately for them the show can go on without them. Alex is the heart of the show and it ends when he leaves so he should get paid the most. I have no idea why Scott gets paid the same as he is barely on the show.
Because Scott has thrown temper tantrums about being in Hawaii, has been a complete dick about it (even though in all reality, when he's in LA, he's a cool guy by all accounts). The powers that be fought hard to keep him on the show and have paid him accordingly, while the ones who showed up, did their work with smiles on their faces and actually gave a shit over all these years (Park and Kim) got shafted.

Caan has apparently been a difficult-to-work-with diva on set for quite a while now, and I guess it has worked to his benefit, and not so much to the benefit of Park and Kim. Good on them for bouncing while they still have their pride.

Syriel

Because Scott has thrown temper tantrums about being in Hawaii, has been a complete dick about it (even though in all reality, when he's in LA, he's a cool guy by all accounts). The powers that be fought hard to keep him on the show and have paid him accordingly, while the ones who showed up, did their work with smiles on their faces and actually gave a shit over all these years (Park and Kim) got shafted.

This I'll never understand.

You have a swank job, that pays BANK, in Hawaii.

IN HAWAII.

What is there to complain about?

IN HAWAII.

I recall this one scene in an airport when he was welcoming tourists to Hawaii and he said "welcome to hell", and I forget if it was an outtake or they actually used it since it's been a while.. but if they did it wasn't in the script lol

IN HAWAII.

Apparently his family is in LA? If I were him, I would've left Hawaii and done something else closer to home.

Didn't the same thing happen with Mr. Eko in Lost?

Top Bottom