• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR CEO Thinks The Company's Reputation Might Never Recover From Disastrous Cyberpunk 2077 Launch

Will you trust CDPR for its next game launch?

• I will buy their next game day one

Votes: 108 33.8%
  • I will buy it, after they fix all launch issues

Votes: 189 59.1%
  • I won't buy their games anymore, after the debacle of CP2077

Votes: 23 7.2%

• Total voters

hinch7

Played Cyberpunk day1 on PC and had not much issues (compared to the PS4 drama). And they fixed the game and delivered a great DLC last year. So yeah...i tend pretty much to day1. And its Witcher4 we are talking about. Witcher3 I consider till today as a legendary masterpiece of a game.
Same, played at launch and it was damn amazing back then (my GOTY). Several annoying bugs but nothing that major or game-breaking like on consoles. Certainly not worth sitting on years and not playing the game.

Came back to it when they launched the DLC+RTX upgrades and that just made it all the better. Day one for Witcher 4 and next Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I believe they really messed up with the launch of CP77. They should have been more transparent. I mean, at the beginning, all their statements to the media were that it would ship when it was ready, and suddenly they rushed to get it released. In my opinion, CP77 on PS4/Xbox was in the worst technical state I have ever seen for a modern game’s release.

Eimran

I never lost my faith in the developers. The upper management, who wanted to rush the game, is to blame.

That being said, after the last years it's in everybody's best interest to wait out the handling of the launch bugs and glitches.

I dont like their game design.

But if it has good builds and progression I will give it a shot.

Yet to try Cyberpunk in its final form but hearing they have improved a lot in that aspect. Game design cannot change but at least I can do some cool stuff in it.

Braag

The 2.0 patch and PL redeemed them in my eyes. They can still piss on their reputation though, depending on what type of a game and audience they want to chase with Witcher 4 and the next CP game.

Nikodemos

Their biggest issue was the contractual obligation to launch on 8th gen. Breaking that would bring financial and legal liabilities from Sony and MS. So they were stuck between hammer and anvil. Only release on PC and 9th gen, and take the liability hit, or release it on all platforms and have it rightfully bomba on PS4/XBone (because it couldn't run properly, not on the base consoles, at any rate).

Peroroncino

They hunkered down and at the end of the day delivered imo a great product. Took a lot of time, sure, but they got there. So I got no reason to doubt their next release, since it's pretty clear they're not gonna make the same mistake twice.

If they do, then I'll consider them truly lost.

samoilaaa

I dont like their game design.

But if it has good builds and progression I will give it a shot.

Yet to try Cyberpunk in its final form but hearing they have improved a lot in that aspect. Game design cannot change but at least I can do some cool stuff in it.
its still very linear , the story is not branching at all , you have a few choice at the end but thats it , the level/skill design is still mediocre , not at the level of something like prey or deus ex

it does shine in the cinematics , graphics , immersion , sidequests are interesting not your typical go to point A take an item and take it to point B

its still very linear , the story is not branching at all , you have a few choice at the end but thats it , the level/skill design is still mediocre , not at the level of something like prey or deus ex

it does shine in the cinematics , graphics , immersion , sidequests are interesting not your typical go to point A take an item and take it to point B
My issue with it when I played it was lack of freedom.

I didn’t want to deal with Jackie or cinematic stuff. Instead wanted to check out open world. It didn’t allowed for that even.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Except they 100% KNEW what they were doing with CP (remember 0 console footage, multitude of reviewers all paid off with gaming chairs), and they 100% did it on PURPOSE.
If it'll make a buck, they'll do it again.

Yeah, but the backlash was massive, the game was pulled from the PS Store, their share price dropped, etc. They don't want that again.

I don't think they'll be stupid enough to release a game in the same state as CP2077 was at launch again. I think that they made things right with it though and it is genuinely a really good game. I preferred my time with it over Witcher 3, simply because the combat was much more fun.

I'll probably get the next Witcher game day one for PC and whatever console it releases on so my wife and I can play it at the same time without arguing lol.

Last edited:

Synless

My perspective is this, I find this CEO weak making comments like that. Coming out with some weakened position is something you do internally to figure out how to get the trust, not say out loud.

The company painstakingly made it right after launch and the game was great to begin with.

killatopak

Gold Member
My complaint has always been missing stuff that was in their trailer. That was the case for TW3 and the same of CP2077. Remember in the trailer where you were riding a train? Completely missing.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Not going to pre-order a game from CDPR again, but I think they've learned a lot from that - at least I ope they did.

My complaint has always been missing stuff that was in their trailer. That was the case for TW3 and the same of CP2077. Remember in the trailer where you were riding a train? Completely missing.
You can with the latest updates.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Not going to pre-order a game from CDPR again, but I think they've learned a lot from that - at least I ope they did.

You can with the latest updates.
That's the issue. I bought it day one and enjoyed it fully. I just don't feel great about having an inferior experience to people who bought it much later and for cheaper.

Obviously, it's not exclusive to CDPR but gone are the days when a game you buy on release are feature complete.

Last edited:

Hugare

apology sitting GIF by South Park

I feel so bad for him

He probably didnt have the authority to delay the game. He is just the CEO, after all.

I bought it day one, loved it and played almost 100h on the Base PS4. But yeah, it was a mess. Got my money worth, but products shouldnt be released at that state

Their next game will still sell tons of copies, but pre orders will suffer (doubt it will be bad, but could have been even better)

Kupfer

That's the issue. I bought it day one and enjoyed it fully. I just don't feel great about having an inferior experience to people who bought it much later and for cheaper.

Obviously, it's not exclusive to CDPR but gone are the days when a game you buy on release are feature complete.
I know what you mean, preordered the CE for PS4 back then. Enjoyed it as well as again, when PL launched. It finally felt like the proper experience, playing it day 1 felt more like a paid alpha.

But it is an awesome game by now, you should give it another try.

Griffon

CP2077 was an amazing game on day one (on PC).

The reason I won't auto-buy their next game is because CDPR is kowtowing to the insane woke activists.

Their games live and die by their writing, and I have a feeling Cyberpunk will be the last good story that ever came from them.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
All it will take is one great launch and nobody will even remember this happened. Just as it takes one bad launch for people to forget all the great stuff before. Do better.

mdkirby

IF their next game launches in a good state, and to great reviews, paired with their redemption arc from cyberpunk, I think they'll have mostly rebuilt their rep for whatever comes after their next game. Until then people will likely remain cautious. I def won't be pre-ordering that's for sure.

That said, given their expansions etc, I tend to find the best way to play these games and get the best experience is to wait until everything is out a year or so down the line, so you have the complete experience in one sitting, instead of bits here and there where you fall out of the flow and only half remember the narrative by the time you play the expansion etc....not to mention the bug fixes, quality of life improvements and other added features.

Last edited:

midnightAI

"I will buy CDPR's next game if I like the look of the game and it's what I would like to play"

(I don't buy games blindly just because of the developer, closest I'll get to that is Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog but that's only because neither has let me down yet and their last two games (not remasters) are my favourites last gen, but even then, if Naughty Dogs new IP doesn't appeal to me then I wont buy it)

My history with CDPR, First game playing from them was The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 and it were marvellous , Then come TW3 which i consider one of the best games ever made plus it has probably the best DLCs ever made, and the cherry on top was a free upgrade to next gen ver, Now i didn't play CP 2077 until the next gen released on PS5 and it was a great experience, which became even better with Phantom Liberty.
In conclusion it's 3 out of 3 to me, not only i trust CDPR i even consider them one of my favourite devs.
In CDPR we trust.

Sentenza

I didn't have "issues" with the PC version on launch. I purchased it on console but personally have not played through the entire game on console...just 4 - 6 hours or so recently.
I didn't have "issues" either. The game ran decently and performances were acceptable on my PC.
I just thought the game was overall garbage.
Bad design, bad mechanics, bad enemy AI, unsatisfying combat, etc, etc.

My take on the future of CDPR is that talk is cheap on the verge of being virtually meaningless, so I will just wait to see the final result.

"These are the people who did X" is also a worthless take. These big studios are revolving doors, expertise and seniority are not even valued anymore.
Chances are that the dev team for their next Witcher game is almost unrecognizable from the one that did TW3 and CP2077.

Last edited:

Capitan Todd

Neo Member
I didn't play Cyberpunk until last year on PS5 and it was an amazing experience. Still need to play Phantom Liberty. I probably won't buy their next game at launch, but I believe they'll create something great again eventually.

Top Bottom