• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
They closed 35? When did that happen? I drove in from Round Rock to downtown this morning at 6:30 AM with zero issues other than slow moving traffic. It really isn't that bad out there, although I admit some side streets are slick. Congress was just like a normal day.

Oh, I'm in San Antonio. They closed off big portions because they're elevated. They also closed stretches of 10, 281, and 410.

Kids off, me off/wfh a bit, wife works for a law firm in downtown and they opened at noon.

She was not happy, especially since MetroRail was not running normally which meant she needed to drive in.

Meier

Weird, can't post this tweet. 101x is giving away X-Games tickets in 2 mins! I won some today. There is a music bit with it as well.

Tweet 360 at @lawless999.

AkuMifune

Banned
And I skipped lunch to finish this stupid project and now hungry and grumpy and the only one even working.

Maybe I'll finally try Jersey Mikes today. If I don't wreck on the Mopac because people are too confused about which lane to be in now.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I was productive today, but highly questionable what my employer did. Not even a delay. I left for work at nearly 10 AM. There was ice surrounding my car. There were patches of dry ice under overpasses.

My apartment complex was closed.
My work's cafeteria was 75% closed.
The roads were more empty than December 23rd.

What the hell. I hope not too many people wrecked.

I was productive today, but highly questionable what my employer did. Not even a delay. I left for work at nearly 10 AM. There was ice surrounding my car. There were patches of dry ice under overpasses.

My apartment complex was closed.
My work's cafeteria was 75% closed.
The roads were more empty than December 23rd.

What the hell. I hope not too many people wrecked.

Yeah, I have a friend who commutes from just south of Austin to San Antonio. He was hit this morning trying to get to work at 10, it totalled his truck. He's lucky he just has a concussion.

Cat

I work from home, so still had to do my usual job. Sounds like the rest of the city delayed a lot of things and ended up in gridlock because of it.

And I skipped lunch to finish this stupid project and now hungry and grumpy and the only one even working.

Maybe I'll finally try Jersey Mikes today. If I don't wreck on the Mopac because people are too confused about which lane to be in now.
That thing is a maze.
01laugh.gif

AkuMifune

Banned
They told us at work today it might be just as bad again tomorrow weather wise, so if schools start getting cancelled we can work from home. Now I'm praying for shitty weather!

Zoe

Found out they might dock our vacation days. The joys of working with a strict schedule >:|

Local Weather Alert
Special Weather Statement for Bexar, TX
Other affected areas:
…Llano, TX; Burnet, TX; Williamson, TX; Val Verde, TX; Edwards, TX; Real, TX; Kerr, TX; Bandera, TX; Gillespie, TX; Kendall, TX; Blanco, TX; Hays, TX; Travis, TX; Bastrop, TX; Lee, TX; Kinney, TX; Uvalde, TX; Medina, TX; Bexar, TX; Comal, TX; Guadalupe, TX; Caldwell, TX; Fayette, TX; Maverick, TX; Zavala, TX; Frio, TX; Atascosa, TX; Wilson, TX; Karnes, TX; Gonzales, TX; De Witt, TX; Lavaca, TX; Dimmit, TX More
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issued by The National Weather Service
Austin/San Antonio, TX
Mon, Jan 27, 2014, 5:19 AM CST
Local Radar Map
Updated Jan 27, 2014, 12:20pm CSTWeather in Motion® | Enlarge Map Get WeatherReadyWeatherReady Safety and Preparedness Tips
More Severe Weather Readiness Tips
National and Local Weather News
Watches & Warnings Explained
Storm Watch (video)
... ANOTHER CHANCE OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION LATE TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY NIGHT...

A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL BRING GUSTY NORTH WINDS AND MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES TO SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS TODAY. DRY WEATHER IS ANTICIPATED TODAY. HOWEVER... AN APPROACHING UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL BRING A CHANCE FOR WINTRY PRECIPITATION TO THE HILL COUNTRY AND ADJACENT PORTIONS OF THE INTERSTATE 35 CORRIDOR BEGINNING LATE TONIGHT. THE CHANCE FOR WINTRY PRECIPITATION WILL THEN SPREAD SOUTH... AFFECTING MOST AREAS ALONG AND EAST OF THE INTERSTATE 35 CORRIDOR ON TUESDAY. THE MAIN CONCERN WITH THIS WEATHER EVENT WILL BE DURING THE LATE NIGHT THROUGH MORNING HOURS AS A WINTRY MIX OF FREEZING RAIN... SLEET AND SNOW MAY RESULT IN LIGHT ICE ACCUMULATIONS ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES. DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING HOURS ON TUESDAY... TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO WARM ABOVE FREEZING... ALLOWING THE PRECIPITATION TO MAINLY FALL IN THE FORM OF A COLD RAIN. PRECIPITATION CHANCES WILL DECREASE FROM NORTH TO SOUTH TUESDAY NIGHT. THIS WILL SHIFT THE FOCUS FOR WINTRY PRECIPITATION TO AREAS ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE HIGHWAY 90 CORRIDOR.

THE CHANCES FOR PRECIPITATION ARE LOW TO MODERATE AND THE AMOUNT OF PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BE LIGHT. HOWEVER... ANY MIX OF WINTER PRECIPITATION CAN CAUSE TRAVEL IMPACTS. IN ADDITION... THE COLD CONDITIONS WILL BRING OTHER CONCERNS FOR PEOPLE... PETS... PLANTS... AND PIPES WITH PROLONGED PERIODS BELOW FREEZING. STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE FORECAST OVER THE NEXT TWO DAYS... AND PREPARE FOR COLD TEMPERATURES AND POSSIBLE WINTER WEATHER TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT.

So, yeah, it looks like the freezing precipitation is supposed to start between 4:00 and 5:00am, and last until around 10:00am.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'd rather it not precipitate, as I'll probably work regardless.

Doesn't look likely, but the temperature is dropping like 1 degree every 10 minutes on wutherundeground.

Meier

Yay, work is delayed until noon again...

...after getting to the office at 6. :-\

DOH! I think UT decided early because Austin was made fun of on Friday. People shouldn't be on the roads right now but the city didn't want to be a laughing stock again or whatever. I brought my work laptop home yesterday just in case so I am working from home for a bit.

Zoe

Man, people are PISSED at the school districts that didn't call the delay until half an hour ago.

DOH! I think UT decided early because Austin was made fun of on Friday. People shouldn't be on the roads right now but the city didn't want to be a laughing stock again or whatever. I brought my work laptop home yesterday just in case so I am working from home for a bit.
The Mrs. goes in later than me, and fortunately she's home safe as her work is delayed until at least 10:30.

Man, people are PISSED at the school districts that didn't call the delay until half an hour ago.

Well yeah, some kids were already on the buses when the delay was announced, with a "oh yeah, there SHOULD be staff at the school to watch the kids".

My daughter's charter school finally cancelled at 9AM thankfully.

Wife still has to go to work at noon. She hates my WFH abilities more and more each time.

Meier

Classes at UT got completely canceled as of about 20 minutes ago.
Was having lunch with my wife (we both work at UT) before going in. Glad they did it at that time since we hadn't gotten too far from home yet. Torchy's for lunch ain't so bad!

GAF is an absolute shitshow today. What is going on?!

Was having lunch with my wife (we both work at UT) before going in. Glad they did it at that time since we hadn't gotten too far from home yet. Torchy's for lunch ain't so bad!

GAF is an absolute shitshow today. What is going on?!

Hm... Evilore lives in Austin... perhaps his servers got frozen! =O

Does he ever post in here?

Got up around 7. Nothing but the sound of cars sliding down my street. Looked like i was stranded. Wife's work told her to stay home. Spent an hour warching the chaos unfold on local news. My work finally gave the word that they were delaying opening until noon. Even then I barely made it in. It took half an hour to thaw a sheet of ice off my windshield and I had a few fantastic low speed slides around 620 & 183.

Hello fellow Austinites. Anyone know if the roads are safe to drive on now? I'm WFH today but have a meeting in a couple hours I was thinking of going in for. I can call in for it though, so I may just play it safe and stay home.

AkuMifune

Banned
My family is away for the first Superbowl in 5 years...so which bar in town will be the rowdiest/most fun for the game? Guess North would be better since I shouldn't drive.

I'm more a fan of divebars than sports bars, but open to suggestions. I've been out once since I moved here and that was a very, very messy night at Barfly. Which I'll probably end up at again anyway because I like bars that suit my mood. Broken. ;)

Zoe

My family is away for the first Superbowl in 5 years...so which bar in town will be the rowdiest/most fun for the game? Guess North would be better since I shouldn't drive.

I'm more a fan of divebars than sports bars, but open to suggestions. I've been out once since I moved here and that was a very, very messy night at Barfly. Which I'll probably end up at again anyway because I like bars that suit my mood. Broken. ;)

Whereabouts north? It's hard to say since you don't want to be driving.

I think I'm heading to Little Woodrow's off Guadalupe. My roomie says it's a Broncos bar, so I'm expecting it to be rowdy, which should be fun when drunk. I live near campus, though, so there will likely be plenty of college kids there, FWIW.

Normally, I'm partial to dive bars as well, but I'm rooting for the Broncos, so a bar that's run by supporters might be a good time.

EDIT: Ah, didn't see the mention of staying north, my mistake.

Meier

I have been to one bar in North Austin and that was Mr. Champs (Mr. Tramps maybe?) or something like that. Pretty neat little place but it's tiny. I'm sure they'll have something going as they have events there frequently for Geeks Who Drink.

Zoe

I might end up taking a cab so it's not huge, but I live Hyde Park area.

I wouldn't consider that north... So Meier's suggestion would be good. Edit: Sorry, Anton

I have been to one bar in North Austin and that was Mr. Champs (Mr. Tramps maybe?) or something like that. Pretty neat little place but it's tiny. I'm sure they'll have something going as they have events there frequently for Geeks Who Drink.

Mr Tramps. I've never been in there myself, but I go to that shopping center all the time for Ramen Tatsuya and Coco's <3

AkuMifune

Banned
I wouldn't consider that north... So Meier's suggestion would be good.

Yeah, sorry. I consider anything north of downtown north. ;)

Little Woodrow's is actually kind of close, but thinking I'm betting Seattle! But it sounds good so far. Thanks!

Yeah, sorry. I consider anything north of downtown north. ;)

Little Woodrow's is actually kind of close, but thinking I'm betting Seattle! But it sounds good so far. Thanks!

Haha, yeah, by North I thought you meant somewhere north of 51st, or even Round Rock.

Yeeeeah, Little Woodrow's may not be the best if you're a Seattle fan, but who knows? I'm not even sure if it's a Broncos bar, but that's what my roommate said. I live on the cusp of North University and Hyde Park, around Hemphill Park, so it's a 5 min walk for me.

Cat

We got snow Graupel in San Antonio this morning! I've never heard the word, but it's what we got. These pellets are on the grass, roofs, etc.

Zoe

We got snow Graupel in San Antonio this morning! I've never heard the word, but it's what we got. These pellets are on the grass, roofs, etc.

They were comparing that stuff to dipping dots on the news :lol

All of the schools around here overreacted because of last week. Dunno what they're going to do tomorrow since there's a higher likelihood of sleet then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom