• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Happy Birthday!

I'm down for another meetup. Let me know when/where.

I have a week off next week, so Monday I will probably travel up to Austin from SA to do another nerd trip of ramen, Pinballz and UFO. Excited!

teh_pwn

Beautiful day in Austin. Enjoy the weekend all!

Stop it, you'll just encourage more people to move here.

Non-Austinites: this is richie rich west side during mid-Spring.

Quick someone post pictures of Plfugerville during a drought near I-35.

teh_pwn

That's definitely more green than where I live. That grass is all brown but it's actually there. On the ground!

Shhhh. I intentionally picked the worst of the time lapse street view years to discourage migration. Though the truth is half way between what I posted and what Groovy posted - his image is the rich part of Austin. If you want that, it's like $1M+ houses. Most of Austin is not green, lush, and hilly. Most is flat. Nearly half is not very wooded (the trees are like large bushes to me, I grew up in Tennessee).

Zoe

Shhhh. I intentionally picked the worst of the time lapse street view years to discourage migration. Though the truth is half way between what I posted and what Groovy posted - his image is the rich part of Austin. If you want that, it's like $1M+ houses. Most of Austin is not green, lush, and hilly. Most is flat. Nearly half is not very wooded (the trees are like large bushes to me, I grew up in Tennessee).

You can find some cheaper neighborhoods like that off of 620!

Still out of my price range :(

Meier

Had La Barbecue today for the first time. Very good but obviously not quite at Franklin's level. We got there at 10 and had our food by noon though so the wait is far more palatable to say the least.

Yet to go to Franklins. Heard both ways, its amazing and that its overhyped. Also dont feel like waiting for a couple hours.

I do however want to try Micklethwait Craft Meats as i heard its good and the lines are not long.

teh_pwn

Is 8 AM early enough to get into line at Franklin's BBQ and actually get some food on Saturday?

Zoe

Is 8 AM early enough to get into line at Franklin's BBQ and actually get some food on Saturday?
That's probably the latest you'd want to get in. Keep in mind there will be a ton of line hoppers.

BTW, they plan to be closing some time in July due to their smokehouse expansion.

And wtf, their June pre-orders are already full! Now the site says you basically have to email at midnight each time they open it up.

teh_pwn

Damn, that early is pushing it? Will we be able to drink concealed beverages and take bathroom breaks?

Zoe

Man, Cover 2 meets the hype. I'm gonna have to come back with a full appetite for more mac and cheese.

Damn, that early is pushing it? Will we be able to drink concealed beverages and take bathroom breaks?
People drink openly, and they let people into the restaurant starting around 9:00 to use the restroom.

There's a CVS or Walgreen's around the corner--lots of beer runs during the wait :lol

Anyone got a good bike shop recommendation? I think I'm just gonna go to Bicycle Sport Shop's north location. Need to put on two new tires and fix the chain on an old bike I was handed.

In other news, good lord this weather. Totally going for a jog at Barton Springs on my day off.

Meier

Zoe answered this as well, but they also have someone go around selling soda, water and beer throughout the day. I'm not really sure the legality of any of it, but it's what is done. :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Anyone got a good bike shop recommendation? I think I'm just gonna go to Bicycle Sport Shop's north location. Need to put on two new tires and fix the chain on an old bike I was handed.

I go to Mellow Johnny's because I get a kick out of seeing Lance Armstrong's rescinded Tour victory jerseys still being up on the walls.

AkuMifune

Banned
Had to take my daughter to the kindergarten roundup over at Robert E. Lee Elementary this morning. So weird being in an elementary library again! The parents were all nervous wrecks and the kids were crazy excited. Funny. Wasn't sure how long I wanted to stay in Austin with job opportunities for me in Northern California, but I like that school and feels like maybe I should just get a more stable job than contract tech writing work and settle. I moved around a lot as a kid and it sucked.

teh_pwn

Was delicious. I'll post pics tomorrow. Already on my Flickr but away from computer. Brisket was best of meats.

teh_pwn

Really has become world famous. My girlfriend and I talked to a guy at developer at Dell and his Mom from St Louis for a few hours while re-enacting King of the Hill. A large group of 20 somethings behind us were from all over Europe.

My parents (who first came to Austin in 1970) are just blown away by how this town has grown. Shit, I'm still wrapping my head around the fact I'm here now. Just hope all the gentrification won't cost it its status as one of the world's greatest cities.

In any case, the bike I got from my friend had a cracked frame so it was scrap. Spending all day tomorrow bicycle shopping. Hitting University Cyclery and Performance Bikes [Anderson] tomorrow.

teh_pwn

Good luck! The sun is much more intense than when we went.

If you get there at 8 or earlier, you should hit the shady area. I'm not sure if you went when they started expanding, but there's a tarped area that goes fairly far back into the old parking lot (formerly much larger parking lot).

I think the top of my head was hitting the sun as the line started moving but shortly thereafter I was under the porch area.

The brisket was the best I've ever had anywhere. The ribs were really good, hard to compare because I don't recall getting it at Saltick Driftwood or any other top notch BBQ place nearby. I thought the sausage was good but outclassed by Salt Lick Driftwood. Whenever I go back I'm going all brisket and maybe some more ribs; I ordered 1 lb of ribs not thinking through the weight of the bones.

New to the thread. My name's Erin, I grew up in Cuero, lived in Austin, Victoria, and Houston at different points, and currently rep San Antonio's city center. Love my communities here so much!

We're talking about birthdays? I'm turning 30 in a week :p

Meier

The sausage at La Barbecue was excellent but it was nicknamed Hot Guts.. I can confirm that to be an accurate descriptor. Haha.

New to the thread. My name's Erin, I grew up in Cuero, lived in Austin, Victoria, and Houston at different points, and currently rep San Antonio's city center. Love my communities here so much!

We're talking about birthdays? I'm turning 30 in a week :p
Welcome! I'm in SA myself and have live here a majority of my life. I'm in the Leon Valley area. Any plans for your birthday?

Also went to the comal river for the first time yesterday and it was really awesome!

Welcome to Thunderdome and Happy Birthday!!

Thank you, and thank you!

Welcome and I am sorry to hear about you having to live in Victoria (despite it being home to the Stone Cold Stunner) and Houston :p

Best wishes on your Birthday this weekend. I have to throw a Frozen party for a 5 year old myself.

Victoria, Houston, and Cuero were all pretty terrible. San Antonio's my favorite, I've come to love it even more than Austin <3

Thank you! I invited a bunch of old friends I've made all over the state, we're probably gonna do the typical Texas backyard thing with a queer veneer. :3 Have fun at your Frozen party!

Welcome! I'm in SA myself and have live here a majority of my life. I'm in the Leon Valley area. Any plans for your birthday?

Also went to the comal river for the first time yesterday and it was really awesome!

Just hanging out with loved ones and maybe getting drunk and naked--you only turn 30 once!

What's the Comal like? I've never been, but I always hear it spoken of.

Thank you, and thank you!

Victoria, Houston, and Cuero were all pretty terrible. San Antonio's my favorite, I've come to love it even more than Austin <3

Thank you! I invited a bunch of old friends I've made all over the state, we're probably gonna do the typical Texas backyard thing with a queer veneer. :3 Have fun at your Frozen party!

Just hanging out with loved ones and maybe getting drunk and naked--you only turn 30 once!

What's the Comal like? I've never been, but I always hear it spoken of.

That sounds gooood! Drunkness is sounds good haha.

Comal was fantastic, all you need is your tubes you can buy and you just need to find parking over in by the park entrance. You can bring booze as long as its not glass, and the whole floating trip takes about an 1 hour and a half and is relaxing as hell. When you reach the end its like a 10 minute walk to the beginning and you can do it again. You definitely need to check it out. What are some of your favorite spots in SA? This goes to everyone in SA by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom