• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds gooood! Drunkness is sounds good haha.

Comal was fantastic, all you need is your tubes you can buy and you just need to find parking over in by the park entrance. You can bring booze as long as its not glass, and the whole floating trip takes about an 1 hour and a half and is relaxing as hell. When you reach the end its like a 10 minute walk to the beginning and you can do it again. You definitely need to check it out. What are some of your favorite spots in SA? This goes to everyone in SA by the way.

That sounds like so much fun! I used to loooove tubing down the San Marcos River. I'll definitely have to take my wife out there sometime.

SA has so many awesome places... from my apartment, I can walk to San Antonio College, Las Salsas, Pho Sure, Casa de Limon, the Strip (Heat, Pegasus, Silver Dollar, Luther's, Sparky's, that awesome heavy metal record shop by Silver Dollar, etc), the St. Mary's strip (Candlelight, Limelight, White Rabbit, HiTones, etc), the San Antonio Playhouse, and a ton of other neat places. I especially love Propaganda Palace, a vintage gaming store which has several locations now. The one on McCollough/Ashby is the closest to me, but I sometimes go to their Southtown location on Alamo as well. They're owned and operated by a neat guy named AJ. Game Over on 410/Blanco is really fun, too. If I need to go further, the 2, 3, 4, 5, 20, and 90 are all 2-3 blocks away and take you anywhere. It's an awesome city to live without a vehicle in, you can definitely have an enriching life.

My iPhone just went nuts. Flash flood warning until 1:15 in South Austin.

We're getting it bad here in SA, too. Flood advisories, and it doesn't look like the rain's going to stop until Wednesday.

Austin needs the rain. Hell, Texas needs rain, so any amount just short of severe flooding is a good thing. Sure its preferable to take rain in slow incriminates but rain beggars can't be choosers. Going off the radar this is the most wide spread rain event I've seen in a long time. Almost everyone between Dallas and Corpus and locations east of those cities look to get a substantial amount.

So I think Shawn Elliot got perma-banned.
qHxkt.gif

We'll have to coordinate his welcoming party through Twitter I guess.

Meier

So I think Shawn Elliot got perma-banned.
qHxkt.gif

We'll have to coordinate his welcoming party through Twitter I guess.

It seemed like kind of an innocuous post to permaban. Sheesh.

Fun Fun Fun Fest tickets go on sale in 12 mins for those who don't have them yet. I love this fest.

Zoe

Why couldn't it have rained while we are jogging this morning x_x

Man, so many accidents today. Luckily we've gone against traffic each time.

-NeoTB1-

We didn't get much rain up in the Salado/Belton area. Shame, because I was outside working in the yard all day. I would have loved a respite.

The rain was nice today, it was before service started here so we got to step on the back dock and enjoy the summer shower for a minute.

Praying it's a sunny Memorial Day.

I am stuck at work for 12 hours. At least i get holiday pay.

Will pay for the WiiU Mad Catz Stick. They are $75 shipped and with a mayflash adapter it will work on PC/OS X and PS3.

Abeit only in six button mode.

8 button is dick anyways.

Meier

Seems like the worst is definitely behind us for now. My phone blew up and said there was another flash flood watch (or warning?) until 9:30 AM but it stopped raining at all shortly thereafter. Pretty clouds right now!

Let me ask you: remember that Saturn pad you showed me with the 3DSish nub on it that you put together?

Can you rig up something like that to work with a 360?

Respond carefully . The quality of your response will sway my opinion as to whether you're from mission or Brownsville . You've been warned, tech hippie

The pad should work technically as its Custom PCB is PS3 based so couple that with one of these http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/186701/undamned-s-usb-decoders-usb-to-jamma-etc/p1 then to a one of these http://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps360-multi-console-joystick-pcb/

Not a simple solution but possible.

Or contact Gummo from SRK and he can see about making a compatible one

I got my pad from him.

360 security bs is the reason for all that these hoops.

* and i take it you meant this pad
images

And MISSION?!?! Pshh

Meier

FYI...
Franklin Barbecue will close for about two weeks as it concludes extensive renovations that include a new smokehouse to prepare its signature, nationally renowned brisket, according to the restaurant's Twitter feed.

Eater Austin reports that the restaurant is undergoing a makeover that will update its modest digs into a more modern-looking establishment, while allowing the restaurant to simplify and shorten its constant, 24-hour-a-day prep cycle to a more manageable 20 hour prep cycle. To complete the renovations, the restaurant will close from June 23 to July 7.
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...28&u=wXyDzp6mR42Jn7hlFlv7FtjZIjb&t=1401310300

Aurongel

I just drove 1700 miles here from NY last week to escape the drab weather there and we've already had a flood advisory. Please tell me it gets better AustinGAF ;_;

Agentnibs

Hey never seen this thread before! I've been in Texas all my life and currently rep San Marcos-GAF. Im 23 and I Don't have many friends here so if anyone ever needs a place to hang or know of anything cool going on feel free to hit me up.

Timeaisis

Hey never seen this thread before! I've been in Texas all my life and currently rep San Marcos-GAF. Im 23 and I Don't have many friends here so if anyone ever needs a place to hang or know of anything cool going on feel free to hit me up.

Welcome to Central Texas-GAF! We'll probably have another meet up one of these days.
Right, guys?

Aurongel

Hi, Aurongel. I have bad news for you, this is as good as it can get around this time of year. Normally around this time, we are drenched in 100 plus degree heat. Safe travels. What are your plans or reasons for visiting aside from escaping NY?

Living here for the summer for work actually, so far the job hunt seems slow.

Zoe

Anybody jog around Town Lake? Is it cooler to run around in the summer than street running?

Felt awful this morning at 8:30 in my neighborhood :(

I just drove 1700 miles here from NY last week to escape the drab weather there and we've already had a flood advisory. Please tell me it gets better AustinGAF ;_;
tumblr_static_d1a1tf4hy5cg00o0sw4kocsoc.gif

Texas State?

Meier

That's south alright. ~15 miles away from my place in 78704!

I went to Mikkelthwait on Friday and although I wouldn't say it was nearly at the same level as Franklin or La Barbecue, it was still really tasty and there was literally zero wait even at lunch time (got there around 12:30). You drive by Franklin to get there and see the line so it's that much sweeter that there was none there.

Zoe

TWC pushed out their speed upgrade early this morning. We're getting capped at 100Mb/s though even though we have the highest plan at 300Mb/s.

(current modem only supports 150ish)

TWC pushed out their speed upgrade early this morning. We're getting capped at 100Mb/s though even though we have the highest plan at 300Mb/s.

(current modem only supports 150ish)

Really? My TWC internet had been dogshit the past few days with intermittent outages and slow speeds, then this morning it was as if someone put a turbocharger on. Very nice.

Zoe

Really? My TWC internet had been dogshit the past few days with intermittent outages and slow speeds, then this morning it was as if someone put a turbocharger on. Very nice.

I know there were some DNS problems Saturday morning. Very frustrating as it made me lose my run stats :(

I know there were some DNS problems Saturday morning. Very frustrating as it made me lose my run stats :(

Yeah, Sunday morning was awful. I was thisclose to calling TWC but didn't want to deal with their bullshit. Both Friday and Saturday night, however, I had to switch off wireless on my phone in order to receive any signal and the connection in general was very spotty. For example, I could access the internet but not follow links, and images were not showing up. Yet Netflix was working great. Weird stuff. Anyway, nice to see it fixed.

Meier

My wife and I pay like $140 for internet and TV despite me using my own modem. They get us on the DVR. I don't even have any extra channels beyond a pretty basic digital cable package. I'll probably drop the speed boost since the basic entry level is going to be like 100 now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
My last two months at Ft Hood. It took me 2 years to realize I actually like Texas though. Hood really, really sucks.

Zoe, Incognito, approx how much are you both paying?

About $130. My services include standard TV & internet, dvr service, hbo & showtime, and variety pass. As meier said, the DVR is where they get up in your ass. like most of the remaining hold outs of cable tv service i can't cut the cord... live sports, mayne. live sports. tour de france is coming up in july, too. agh.

Zoe

Damn, guys. And I thought my deal was expensive (with ATT). I just switched from TWC back in November to ATT but damn I wish I could get those speeds. I may have to play the game with ATT

We've been holding onto U-verse's internet for redundancy/piece of mind, but we're about to drop it. Paying about $157 right now for that, so that will go down to $100 for just TV. If you live in a Gigapower area though, I think the deal right now is $99 for U300 (?) plus the Gb internet if you agree to them monitoring your usage.

Hmm...so are they boosting the speeds for everyone? I think I have standard at like 15 or 20 Mbps.

They're doing a roll-out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/275brs/the_end_all_twc_speed_upgrade_thread/chxv7q9
http://i.imgur.com/DEwiHBf.jpg

We live in hub C.

Timeaisis

We've been holding onto U-verse's internet for redundancy/piece of mind, but we're about to drop it. Paying about $157 right now for that, so that will go down to $100 for just TV. If you live in a Gigapower area though, I think the deal right now is $99 for U300 (?) plus the Gb internet if you agree to them monitoring your usage.

They're doing a roll-out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/275brs/the_end_all_twc_speed_upgrade_thread/chxv7q9
http://i.imgur.com/DEwiHBf.jpg

We live in hub C.

Hmm....I think I'm in hub A...who knows.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
No upgrade for me? I'm on Metric Blvd.

I just got a new DSLR that takes 40 MB pictures that I need to upload to flickr so fuck TWC where are my Google overlords?

Meier

Woah, that's great news, though it looks like my area (M) won't get it until next month. Still good though.

Is everyone getting boosted speeds? I already pay for the fastest plan TWC offers.
Everyone is. If you pay for the fastest then I think yours will go to 300. Most everyone will need a new modem to take advantage of the speeds though I have read. If you rent it from them, they will of course swap it out for free.

haha, that figures. We were with TWC since we moved to Austin in '05, but after paying for higher speeds at the beginning of the year, service became absolutely terrible and was intermittent at best. We talked to so many idiots in customer service that didn't have a clue (who would send out repairmen that also didn't have a clue) that we just switched to AT&T to save money. If even one of those fools told us that the problems were stemming from upgrade work, we might have just toughed it out until it was done.

Everyone is. If you pay for the fastest then I think yours will go to 300. Most everyone will need a new modem to take advantage of the speeds though I have read. If you rent it from them, they will of course swap it out for free.

Well that's good to hear. I was actually thinking of switching to U-Verse to get their Megapower thing, but now I won't need to.

I attended for a while, but decided to try the air force instead. It's slow going but hopefully I can get in. Currently I'm just a full time glasses salesman :/
I was two weeks away from signing (had to drop 10 lbs), but ended up making a different career choice.

The construction in San Marcos is ridiculous, I left at the right time. Anyways, go to Tantra and support those guys -- I worked part-time there for half a year and the folks there (the owners and the folks I was with, anyways) are wonderful people. Some great food and drink there, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom