• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
You will meet alls of us next Friday at 9PM at Pinballz.

besada

Banned
I completely accidentally hosed your pictures of delicious Gourdough's. I am sorry. Please repost them, so everyone else can drool.

I completely accidentally hosed your pictures of delicious Gourdough's. I am sorry. Please repost them, so everyone else can drool.

Haha thank you, browser cache.

We finally made it over to Gourdough's Public House after a trip to LBJ Wildflower Center.

All hail shitty phone camera pics.
20140421_131242.jpg

20140421_133058.jpg

20140421_131909.jpg

20140421_133521.jpg

20140421_135112.jpg

Zoe

I want to try out their restaurant sooo badly. I really like the actual bread of the donuts, so I can definitely see how it would work with savory dishes.

Meier

We drive by the Public House every morning and evening but have only actually been once I believe in all the time it's been open. Gotta go again one of these days!

Here's a possible partial leak for the ACL lineup. We'll find out for sure in about 8 hours.

BlyHfZUIUAAl-_a.jpg

1620855_10152088939173030_5767899529433061540_n.jpg

Dudes. I've never seen an ACL lineup this impressive, and most of them are performing both weekends. I thought only SXSW was two weekends, now ACL is too. Crazy

Emimem, Lorde, and Skrillex alone are a sell for me.

Meier

got my ticket for weekend 2. anyone else going?

We bought the early bird passes for Weekend 1. Feel cheated, frankly, that they're having a very high level artist on only 1 weekend. It's counter to what they've said in the past and there was no warning given it may happen.

We bought the early bird passes for Weekend 1. Feel cheated, frankly, that they're having a very high level artist on only 1 weekend. It's counter to what they've said in the past and there was no warning given it may happen.
That suuuuuuucks, man. :-(

I'm honestly not that into the lineup this year, Beck is the only one I'm looking forward to. We have tickets to both weekends, but will most likely only go on the 2nd and sell the others.

Meier

That suuuuuuucks, man. :-(

I'm honestly not that into the lineup this year, Beck is the only one I'm looking forward to. We have tickets to both weekends, but will most likely only go on the 2nd and sell the others.

I don't really mind too much although I do like the Lorde album. Mostly it's a principle thing.. seems really shady to me. Obviously they're doing it because Week 1 sold out while Week 2 did not last year, but it doesn't make it any less obnoxious. Bummed we won't get to hang this year though!

Meier

Anyone interested in a free GA floor ticket to The National tonight at ACL Live? Had a last minute thing come up for one in my party.

Wow, that's a helluva offer! They are fantastic live. I'd take you up on it if I were a single guy. Someone jump on this asap!

teh_pwn

Alright so on the 25th we will have both Dark Souls 2 on PC releasing and the-pwnz's (he's really not; I would say he is about 2/3 rd of the way there ) birthday celebratory event.

Dark Souls 2 and teh pwnz are two completely different things, of course. One is a product of immigrants that consistently bruises your ego yet is charming enough to keep you coming back for more and is always hard.

The other is Dark Souls 2.

I didn't know it was releasing in April. I thought May. Did Durante undo the lighting engine nerf yet? I'll be all over that stuff eventually, probably when Austin's nuclear winter hits in 1.5 months. Currently I'm all about prepping for astrophotography but hoping not to fall into this rabbit hole, finishing P90X3, exploring Austin with my woman, and somehow creme fraiche.

Sort of not gaming as much. But I figure it's for the best with 28nm and $1500 GPUs with frame stutter. The good shit comes out Q3 2014-Q4 2017 if previous generations are a guide.

I'm also not sure what is going on in your post. But thanks for the plug.

Be there gaffers.

Meier

And also when do I need to get ACL tickets by?
I'm amazed at least one day isn't already sold out. Lollapalooza all went within an hour of going on sale.

I can't imagine living here and not going to ACL every year. Y'all are crazy. 😋

teh_pwn

If it helps you understand, my favorite composer/band/biebs is Tchaikovsky. I mostly want to go to ACL to drink and take pictures. :D

Meier

If it helps you understand, my favorite composer/band/biebs is Tchaikovsky. I mostly want to go to ACL to drink and take pictures. :D
That's worth the price alone! They really upped the beer game in recent years with a massive beer tent with a ton of craft beers. There's definitely no shortage of photo ops and even if you only really like 1 or 2 artists per day, you've paid for your ticket price from that alone most likely. It's a great value and a lot of fun.

You should get tickets to Fun Fun Fun Fest as well. :D Even more stuff to photo there.

teh_pwn

That's worth the price alone! They really upped the beer game in recent years with a massive beer tent with a ton of craft beers. There's definitely no shortage of photo ops and even if you only really like 1 or 2 artists per day, you've paid for your ticket price from that alone most likely. It's a great value and a lot of fun.

You should get tickets to Fun Fun Fun Fest as well. :D Even more stuff to photo there.

Investigating possibilities of both. Looks cool.

Teh-pwn, if you ever , er, come across some decent computer parts no one is using anymore in your line of work, I'll be happy to drop some cash for them. I have a 4 yr old PC I really need to upgrade but I don't want to go anywhere near close to $1000

Unfortunately the stuff I built at work won't be beaten by OEMs like Dell until 2017. It's because Intel is increasing IPC (Instructions Per Clock Cycle - ie how fast something is at a given frequency like 3.5 GHz) by ~5% per year. I overclocked stuff in 2011 by 40%. So it takes a while. I'm also pushing to get stuff into enterprise class stuff with virtualization because overtime I'm going to need like 32 cores per software teams build with GNU Make parallelism. So while it's 30% slower than overclocked CPUs, it's all in parallel so it's like 5x faster overall.

I can help you choose something. Just send me a message and I'll review it.

I suspect sometime around 2020-2025 someone is going to come out with Silicon+Graphene hybrid CPUs that are like 3-5x faster immediately. Then will come mostly graphene and literally Moore's law of performance (not necessarily transistor count) will reset to 1985. I'm very excited about this possibility to the point that people are reminded of me when they see an article with Graphene and I don't even remember talking to them about it.

AkuMifune

Banned
Headed to San Antonio for the weekend tomorrow with the family. Sorry guys, maybe next time!

Saw a truck with a giant trollface sticker on the back today, which one of you clowns is it?

teh_pwn

See some of you all at 9PM then! I'll be the drunkard with a camera.

I'm about to head home and pick up my wife. We will probably grab something at Coco's before heading to Pinballz. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as Brilliant Disaster and I have to work tomorrow morning. My wife and I will stick around as long as we can. See you guys in a bit.

kai3345

Banned
oh man, I thought i'd have been done with this paper by now, but it's proving more difficult of a task than previously anticipated, hope ill be able to make it up. how long will you guys be there?

teh_pwn

Getting taco bell. Don't tell fat loss gaf.

Thanks for the Mario Karts etc let's do something again.

teh_pwn

Someone's going to have to help me with names/usernames/actual meeting me.

Happy b-day, teh_pwn!

Sorry we missed you guys. We finished dinner early and after about an hour of Mario Kart and Galaga we hadn't spotted anyone. So we decided to head back to Cedar Park and grab some yogurt. I think it was right when we walked into the yogurt place that I got Brilliant Disaster's text. :/

teh_pwn

Yeah, I did a bad job coordinating. I didn't see you either. Did you at least get a haircut or something? I spent most of my time on Turtles, Simpsons, Batman, and Mario Kart. We had good times with weapons.

In my defense I was also pacing myself the entire night on the cusp of drunkenness. Next time I'll wear some T-Shirt and specify a location in the lobby or something.

I did get a haircut... 3 months ago. We were mostly hanging out in the retro area in that nook on the other side of the glass at the entrance. My wife had a death-grip on the Galaga cab. She set the second highest score of the day too.

Glad to hear you guys had a good time though.

And yeah, we'll need come up with a meeting place for future gatherings. Or maybe some CTX GAF t-shirts so we can look like REAL elitist jerks. :)

teh_pwn

Exit, you can play where's waldo on yourself! Sorry again for not thinking through the meetup identification details. I got there with a bunch of others already.

Exit, you can play where's waldo on yourself! Sorry again for not thinking through the meetup identification details. I got there with a bunch of others already.
Great pics! I will link them in the OP tomorrow. Haha, I see random people we saw in the background, but not us. I just think we took off before enough of you arrived for us to spot someone.

We'll set something up again soon. E3 is coming. I'm thinking bingo cards and drinking games.

teh_pwn

Great pics! I will link them in the OP tomorrow. Haha, I see random people we saw in the background, but not us. I just think we took off before enough of you arrived for us to spot someone.

We'll set something up again soon. E3 is coming. I'm thinking bingo cards and drinking games.

I would be up for E3 meetup. Pinballz was much more crowded than the meetup last year. It really feels like an Arcade from the 1990s now. But the pitfall is that it's hard to meetup larger groups of people.

It was a Friday hence the packness. Same for Sat. The rest of the week its pretty chill.

Good to see you all even though i was pretty much a zombie. yay for a 69hr work week.

teh_pwn

Yeah, I feel robbed. This year was a bit too cool until late February and now it's too hot.

I may start playing video games again in about a month.

We should just offer a brief description next time of what we are wearing or use text. Exit, you have my number :)

There's only one bald and bearded Arab roaming these parts. Seek the parameters and destroy IMO.
You and your logic... I'm taking away your Einhander privileges.

Yeah, I feel robbed. This year was a bit too cool until late February and now it's too hot.

I may start playing video games again in about a month.
I agree. Zero Spring this year. Or at least it's looking like that will be the case. My wife and I decided to drop by the Waco zoo while visiting family today and it was miserable after noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom