• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Justine's two nights ago. Terrific stuff, great date spot.

I hear La V is quickly challenging it for best French restaurant in town, though.

So who's going to see ya boy Obama at the Paramount Theater today?

Seriously though, hopefully Austin gaffers weren't hindered by the traffic downtown the past two days. And folks waited in line for like, 15 hours to get a ticket to see Obama's speech in an hour? Good lord. I mean, I like Obama and all, but damn.

Zoe

bf lucked out and made it through 2222/360 before the entire place shut down. Meanwhile, I don't have to bother with the highways at all :D

So the GO GameFest is in a month Aug 16-17

All i wanna know is who is coming with me.

I work but will get the day off for it i am sure.

Looking at going Sat.

http://www.classicgamefest.com

We can do some beer close by and some grub.

We have Gus's (not misspelled by the way), Sandys, Electric Cock (BYOB) or some other place.

Now that i think of it Terry Blacks is open by the way. BBQ!!!!

Well lets get the ball rolling.

GAF GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoe

I had no idea it flooded. That's what happens when you live on top of one of the hills I guess :lol

bf still got a phone alert at 2:00AM about it though. I was sound asleep.

Negator

Thunderstorm last night was insane. My dog is scared shitless during thunderstorms, and made a huge mess moving things from under the bed trying to hide.

In other news, are any of you going to San Japan?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
When I grew up in TN those sort of storms happened a dozen of times per year. At least in Austin there isn't the substantial risk for tornadoes.

When I grew up in TN those sort of storms happened a dozen of times per year. At least in Austin there isn't the substantial risk for tornadoes.
PICA00406lg.jpg

I had no idea it flooded. That's what happens when you live on top of one of the hills I guess :lol

bf still got a phone alert at 2:00AM about it though. I was sound asleep.

Oh, I'm pretty sure the drainage on our street clogged or something. Luckily it was just enough to get the floor and carpet wet and we only lost one bookcase.
It was an Ikea deal that absorbed water and just kind of fell apart when we picked it up to move to a dry area.

teh_pwn

That photo looks a bit old. I remember this one, way back when, before the turn of the century. My Dad was downtown near it and his car was swaying nearly lifting off the ground. I saw at least 3 funnel clouds at home.

looks into Tornado insurance for upcoming house nonetheless

That photo looks a bit old. I remember this one, way back when, before the turn of the century. My Dad was downtown near it and his car was swaying nearly lifting off the ground. I saw at least 3 funnel clouds at home.

looks into Tornado insurance for upcoming house nonetheless
Yeah, tornado alley is no joke.

Servbot24

Banned
Looks like I gotta find a new place by October due to my roommate leaving. Preferably close to my work which is on Mopac and Braker. So far though it doesn't seem possible to find a single bedroom apartment for under $800... which I can technically afford but would hate to spend. Not sure if I'm brave enough to try craigslist, but it may come to that. But if anyone on GAF within 5 or so miles of there knows where to find a cheap room, is looking for a roommate, or has general advice for the area, give me a shout out!

Zoe

Where have you already looked? There are quite a few different areas depending on what you consider "close".

Servbot24

Banned
Where have you already looked? There are quite a few different areas depending on what you consider "close".

So far I've just looked at the apartments in the immediate vicinity. I have friends who live at a couple blocks from my office and those are $750 and $900 for single bedrooms.

I ride my bike to work which is the main factor. Currently I live next to UT, which means I have to ride my bike an hour to get to work and an hour back. I currently pay $550 for rent + utilities. The extra ~1.5 hours saved per day if I move nearby is definitely worth paying a little bit extra. Ideally though I want to funnel as much income as possible into student loans.

I may just end up springing for a ~$700 room and donating plasma to make up the difference.

EDIT: I started looking into craigslist rooms... wonder what I'm in for. :|

Giggzy

Hey Austin, TX GAF.

So, I have the possible opportunity to relocate with the company I work for to our Austin location. I'm highly considering doing it. The cost of living in Southern California is just too insane and it's a hard place to get ahead. I also work in the technology/semiconductor industry as a technician, and from what I hear Austin has a good job market for that field.

I make about 40k a year right now and am wondering how that salary will do in Austin. Can I find a nice efficiency for $600 a month? I don't need to be directly in the city, just within 20 miles. My work location is close to the airport.

Any other tips/advice as I consider this life changing event? I have nothing tying me down to California.

Zoe

You can live like a king in Pflugerville or Manor for easy access to work, but you'd be pretty detached from the city. Don't be tempted by the cheap prices around East Riverside--it's a shithole.

Giggzy

You can live like a king in Pflugerville or Manor for easy access to work, but you'd be pretty detached from the city. Don't be tempted by the cheap prices around East Riverside--it's a shithole.

I don't mind being a little ways out from the city. I have no problem driving to downtown or public transport if I wanted to go down there. Thanks for those locations. I'll check them out :)

Looks like I gotta find a new place by October due to my roommate leaving. Preferably close to my work which is on Mopac and Braker. So far though it doesn't seem possible to find a single bedroom apartment for under $800... which I can technically afford but would hate to spend. Not sure if I'm brave enough to try craigslist, but it may come to that. But if anyone on GAF within 5 or so miles of there knows where to find a cheap room, is looking for a roommate, or has general advice for the area, give me a shout out!
Bradford Pointe, at Metric and Gracy Farms. I was paying $700 before utilities for a small one bedroom.

tornjaw

Austin/San Antonio GAF,

My wife is going to be in Canada on a family vacation for a couple of weeks and that leaves me at the house alone. While that in itself is pretty badass I'd like to possibly meet some other Gaffers in the area.

Anyone up for going and getting a few drinks on the weekend(s)?

K. Meet some of us North! :) then go meet the one or two people south :p

If you're North, let's hit up Woodrows on parmer. There's a few of us that live within 3-5 miles from here. I can count 4-6 gaffers off top of my head

I am down so long as my ached allows. 7 pm and on sat- tue and open the rest of the week .

Check your DM Groovy, i left my number so we can hang on sat.

All others i will be there at 1ish and eating at Blacks.

teh_pwn

Austin/San Antonio GAF,

My wife is going to be in Canada on a family vacation for a couple of weeks and that leaves me at the house alone. While that in itself is pretty badass I'd like to possibly meet some other Gaffers in the area.

If it's the weekend of August 30th, I'm a maybe. Cannot make this weekend (designing/buying house, wife's bday party) and next weekend (family in town). Single life was so much simpler.

Timeaisis

Austin/San Antonio GAF,

I'm down. I'm up north as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom