• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

On the bright side, they struck a deal with the Pedernales Electric Co-op recently, so maybe there will be finally some movement?

At least in District 6 :D

So spent last weekend at Travassa, an amazing resort about 20 minutes west of Austin. Was simply spectacular and my fiance was overjoyed. Great activities, delicious food, and superb amenities. But the highlight has to be the pool, overlooking Lake Travis and Hippie Hollow...

Screen_shot_2014_08_23_at_9_34_52_AM.png

Screen_shot_2014_08_23_at_9_35_35_AM.png

Sunrise from balcony

Screen_shot_2014_08_23_at_9_36_08_AM.png

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So I just stumbled across this map of google fiber permits and there is absolutely nothing north of 183. Which sucks for us North Austinites. :\

We're probably gonna be the very, very last to get it, if it at all.

I'm moving the Pflugerville (though will use toll roads so ironically commute to things I do in Austin basically went up by a few minutes of a much more pleasant drive), and they already have AT&T Gigapower at 300 Mbps with a soon free upgrade at 1 Gbps @ $70/month. If nothing else Google has forced competition to actually try. Even TWC's data rate went up by 5x so uploading 36 MP photos to Flickr is no longer a marathon.

The design of my soon to be house has Cat6 to basically every major room and bedroom. In 10 years it will seem silly with high frequency WiFi achieving near lossless 1 Tb/s, but right now I want reliable 4K streaming.

ABW was on Dudley & Bob the other week, and the 99-pack came up in discussion. Haha good lord.

Anyways what the hell is going on Austin-GAF, this thread has been dead for like a month.

teh_pwn

ABW was on Dudley & Bob the other week, and the 99-pack came up in discussion. Haha good lord.

Anyways what the hell is going on Austin-GAF, this thread has been dead for like a month.

I'm old and married now, waiting for house to be built. Or more accurately waiting for the house to get a permit before it breaks ground. Having 2 apartments is weird, please be soon.

Zoe

I'm old and married now, waiting for house to be built. Or more accurately waiting for the house to get a permit before it breaks ground. Having 2 apartments is weird, please be soon.

I'm so jealous. I reload builders' sites every day to see if there are any changes. We can't bring ourselves to look outside of Austin though.

If anyone else is looking for houses, the Redfin team here is pretty awesome. We haven't actually worked with them directly yet, but their classes are good, and they supplied a full dinner at Perry's for the last one :lol

teh_pwn

I'm so jealous. I reload builders' sites every day to see if there are any changes. We can't bring ourselves to look outside of Austin though.

If anyone else is looking for houses, the Redfin team here is pretty awesome. We haven't actually worked with them directly yet, but their classes are good, and they supplied a full dinner at Perry's for the last one :lol

Well everyone is different, but for us we just don't see a huge reason to live in Austin considering I'm commuting to North Austin, she's commuting to the end of 290, and we hate traffic. Basically you only get affordable Austin culture if you're okay living just south of 183 and even that's expensive. To really enjoy downtown day to day you have to make quite a bit of money and live between Elizabeth Street and Enfield. And even then it's super gentrified and crazy busy. We plan on hopping on the toll roads and getting to work in 15-20 minutes with easy driving where the left lane isn't a favorite lane to go 20 mph under but one used for passing sparsely distributed cars going 80+ mph. And if we really wanted to, especially as Mopac toll lane is completed, we could get downtown in 25 minutes.

I am doing the opposite and exploring liquidating my home to pump my equity into my business, pump its value, and then possibly start the next venture. Being a seriel entrepreneur is very stressful I tell you.

Getting a house first time with new construction is too. So many options and KB Home doesn't use computers so literally each studio appointment was 1 hour of going over a stack of papers from the last appointment, and constantly walking back and forth between tiles/flooring/countertops to see how they look together.

If anyone is good at software and using 3D rendering engines and has savy salesmenship, KB Home seriously could benefit from app software to allow people to visualize what their options look like. If you drive through a KB Home neighborhood you'll see plenty of exterior options where people failed to extrapolate a small brick sample to a house and they look horrible.

Been busy house hunting, closing, and moving into a new house. Shit is time consuming.

Well then again a new construction is less stressful than this. Not playing the "what bottom of the barrel, poorly maintained, horribly overpriced house built in the 1960s can we obtain pre-market without visiting it before it sells" was a big part of going new construction.

Zoe

Well everyone is different, but for us we just don't see a huge reason to live in Austin considering I'm commuting to North Austin, she's commuting to the end of 290, and we hate traffic. Basically you only get affordable Austin culture if you're okay living just south of 183 and even that's expensive. To really enjoy downtown day to day you have to make quite a bit of money and live between Elizabeth Street and Enfield. And even then it's super gentrified and crazy busy. We plan on hopping on the toll roads and getting to work in 15-20 minutes with easy driving where the left lane isn't a favorite lane to go 20 mph under but one used for passing sparsely distributed cars going 80+ mph. And if we really wanted to, especially as Mopac toll lane is completed, we could get downtown in 25 minutes.

We don't care about central or south--we're looking in Avery Ranch, RRISD side of Brushy Creek at the furthest. We just don't care for Pflugerville or east Round Rock. The hardest thing about looking at the new construction in the northwest area is accepting that the prices are near 100k less on the opposite side of town :\. Things are a bit cheaper just past 1431, but it's like entering a different country once you cross that road. I know that will change before too long, but I want to feel good living there from the start.

teh_pwn

We don't care about central or south--we're looking in Avery Ranch, RRISD side of Brushy Creek at the furthest. We just don't care for Pflugerville or east Round Rock. The hardest thing about looking at the new construction in the northwest area is accepting that the prices are near 100k less on the opposite side of town :\. Things are a bit cheaper just past 1431, but it's like entering a different country once you cross that road. I know that will change before too long, but I want to feel good living there from the start.

The way we look at it we can always go from work to Austin areas or take tolls. Pflugerville is a nice place for a low cost, large house. It's quiet there. And there are some interesting things to go to in that area. Taste of Ethiopia is one of our favorite restaurants and it's a 1-2 mile drive away.

I'm looking for a place in the Cedar Park area that can install a screen protector on my Vita without trapping dust n' bubbles or scratching the screen in the progress. Any recommendations? A go-to associate in a cell shop with unnaturally steady hands?

Thanks in advance.

ACL and ComicCon in the same weekend, and I work right across from the convention center. Pray for me, Austin-Gaf. If you don't hear from me by Monday, send a search party for my cadaver.

Comic-Con's a bust for me and the wife, almost everyone we were interested to see has cancelled. Thankfully her precious pretend-boyfriend Norman Reedus will still be there, lol.

Anyone going to the Princess Bride quote-a-long this month?

Holy crap, the weather has been awesome. :)

I finally ate at Kyoten. They've got some seriously good shit, Japan-style sushi you can't find anywhere else in Austin.

Zoe

Went out on the Town Lake boardwalk for the first time this morning--pretty nice! Could have done with more shade though. It was hotter than forecast :

Luckily had Franklin's waiting for us at the end :lol

Meier

Early bird tickets for next year's ACL go on sale in less than 40 minutes. Really bummed they didn't do any golden tickets this year.. that's a real shame. There weren't many available, but it was a cool gesture.

besada

Banned
One thing i love about Austin is how the view changes right before you eyes as you explore other areas. I am out networking a lot and I can drive to Manchaca or East of I-35 and find something new and refreshing. And everytime I pass them by, I keep thinking "want to live there...and there...aaaaand there!". So cool.

I have never heard Manchaca described as cool, and it's basically my hometown.

Guys! These tacos, I love them. (╥﹏╥)

Casa Moreno's! $1.95 tacos that are pretty big than norm. C: Then there is the Suicide Taco!

Holy crap, the weather has been awesome. :)

I finally ate at Kyoten. They've got some seriously good shit, Japan-style sushi you can't find anywhere else in Austin.

I'll have to look this place up! :3

Zoe

What are you having?

I had the Dirty South (chicken fried steak) while bf had the Dizzy Porker (fried ribs app) and the Ron Burgandy (Cali burger). He said the fried okra was really good too.

I only managed one fourth or so before I had to separate the doughnut/potato/steak stack :lol

I had the Dirty South (chicken fried steak) while bf had the Dizzy Porker (fried ribs app) and the Ron Burgandy (Cali burger). He said the fried okra was really good too.

I only managed one fourth or so before I had to separate the doughnut/potato/steak stack :lol
Damnit now I want fried okra.

Meier

My wife and I have gone to the Public House for the last two Valentine's dinners. They were having a month of Studio Ghibli films this year so that was awesome. It was something like every Friday they show an animated film or something and it was all Ghibli films in February. I believe Howl's was on that night.

AkuMifune

Banned
As long as they're better than Round Rock Donuts I'd love to try, 'cause I thought that place was crazy overrated.

Though I'm happy with HEB donuts so maybe not the best connoisseur to comment.

Zoe

As long as they're better than Round Rock Donuts I'd love to try, 'cause I thought that place was crazy overrated.

Though I'm happy with HEB donuts so maybe not the best connoisseur to comment.

HEB's chocolate frosted are my favorite chocolate frosted in town :lol

But Gourdough's is really about the specialty doughnuts with toppings. That said, I really like the bread of the doughnut itself.

Meier

Love me some Round Rock Donuts. Shipley's is another fave -- I think they're maybe from Houston originally but they have a few in the area including one on Brodie. I recommend em. Gourdough's is really unique though -- not like the chains.

For those interested, Mondo have a gallery show starting tonight: http://mondotees.com/blogs/gallery/17127823-mondo-celebrates-75-years-of-batman. Runs until 11/15.. unless you're a collector, you'd be better off going tomorrow and avoiding the crowds tonight.

AkuMifune

Banned
I just thought they were too damn sweet. Like Krispy Kreme or something. Those cake ones were pretty good though.

I'll have to check out that gallery, awesome. I might actually be at The Parlor tonight too, which I think is right there.

We stopped by the Hill Country Galleria on the way home from a hike and paid visit to Bee Cave Coffee Co. They serve CTX's very own Cuvée Coffee, even the cold "Black & Blue" brew. I've tried this stuff before, but never bothered to take a picture of it.

When my wife and I toured Cuvée's facility few months back, it was explained that a batch is brewed overnight and then they hit it with liquid nitrogen while transferring it to a keg the next morning. It's served from a tap and develops a head like beer. Really delicious stuff. Extremely strong.

Damn! I can't believe they didn't make you a deal. We aren't far from you and they dropped our price by $10 and increased our speed when our contract was up.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I probably should try a different agent. I already submitted feedback for the conversation. Would still need a contingency plan in case the conversation again steers to "well you can downgrade to our basic package!" as it just did.

Tell them you're going to switch to Xfinity or Time Warner (whichever one is in your area). Loss of all revenue is your only lever with them.

Tell them you're going to switch to Xfinity or Time Warner (whichever one is in your area). Loss of all revenue is your only lever with them.
Or the "I think I'll just wait it out for Google Fiber" might get them to offer you something better. We're closing in on our initial year contract too, so I'll be interested to see what they can do for you, if anything.

Google Fiber is literally laying cable on our street, but I know that shit is gonna be expensive.

teh_pwn

That makes sense. Google isn't charging a lot for their ISP considering. They just want people to use their services more so they can make more money. Also if they have aspirations for automated cars, stirring up competition to get to 5G is important because the wavelengths needed for 5G are so short it's nearly lossless signal within 1ms which is important for things like navigating a barrel of steel on Mopac while dodging hipsters, cops, pickers of favorite lanes and go 20mph, and Matthew Mcconaughey.

In north Pflugerville near Dell there is AT&T Gigapower at 300 Mbps and soon to be 1 Gbps for $70/month initially. I'll let you know how much they fuck us in March 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom