• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, Pinballz was kind of sad. I haven't been in awhile and most of my favorites are gone.

No more Virtual On, Sega Super GT/Scud Racer 4 player setup, Zombie Revenge, or Police 911. The MVS frankencab is gone too.

Meliorism

Ah nvm. There is a place between 38th and 45th on guadalupe called game republik that looks pretty shady though

Arcade UFO is really small and could possibly fit your description as well, but it's not a bad place if you're into fighters. I believe they just reopened after being closed for a while due to renovations.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
A friend and i are driving into town on the 22nd, so if any of y'all wanna grab some burrs that weekend we're down! My first time visiting :0

Anybody checking out the expo? Is it worth it?

I was all set to go, but then I got sick as hell. Doc has me on bed rest for the whole fucking weekend.

If you guys want me to update the OP for those are going to meet up tomorrow at the expo, just send me a message and I will make the necessary edits.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm going to be over at SXSW Gaming tomorrow to check out the Oculus Rift. I'll post here when I head over; anyone's welcome to say hi or hang.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was there today and did not see a booth for it

Well crap, they said they had live demo units in the PR, but maybe that was just for immediately before and after the panel earlier tonight? Ah well. I'll still be over there tomorrow.

sn00zer

How was it otherwise?

Good, but very small, you can easily see everything in an hour...the talks though, look very interesting, might go to the tomb raider one...the coolest thing i saw by far was the Piston, they had a booth as large as Nintendo's...things are so damn tiny...they open it up for you to demonstrate...the components are ridiculously tiny for what they are

also the were saying "People call our product by another name, and to that, I have no comment"

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Question about the expo, what exactly is it? I've only heard about it today and I'm wondering if it's worth the hour drive to austin to check it out. And how much does it cost?

Zoe

Good, but very small, you can easily see everything in an hour...

That's good to hear. I'm mainly just going downtown tomorrow to try to score free stuff from the Tech Career Expo :lol

I wish I could have gone to the Tearaway panel :(

sn00zer

Question about the expo, what exactly is it? I've only heard about it today and I'm wondering if it's worth the hour drive to austin to check it out. And how much does it cost?

Its a free expo, similiar to a Comic con with a much more professional atmosphere...actually its more like a career fair with each booth having a small developer ...dunno if its worth an hour drive though unless you are interested in the talks or really want to play the latest WiiU games

like I said its pretty small with most of the floor area covered by two stages....one for a progaming tournament (bleh) and the other for developer talks

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Its a free expo, similiar to a Comic con with a much more professional atmosphere...actually its more like a career fair with each booth having a small developer ...dunno if its worth an hour drive though unless you are interested in the talks or really want to play the latest WiiU games

like I said its pretty small with most of the floor area covered by two stages....one for a progaming tournament (bleh) and the other for developer talks

I appreciate you letting me know. I think they have some cool panels I want to check out as well, so I really want to make the trip saturday or sunday.

pirata

I'd set a specific time but I really have no idea what my deal will be. My sleep schedule is mega-fucked at the moment. I woke up at like 6pm today.

Shit. Well, let's all keep posted. I think I will head down tomorrow. Might need to walk though, since I don't know if I can rely on the buses.

Shit. Well, let's all keep posted. I think I will head down tomorrow. Might need to walk though, since I don't know if I can rely on the buses.

Last year I walked from 4th and Congress to my apartment in the Triangle off Lamar and 47th. I was drunk at 3am and the busses weren't running that night or something, but the walk wasn't bad though. Great thing about Austin is no one gives you funny looks when you walk/ride your bike to your destination. Even at 3am

Well crap, they said they had live demo units in the PR, but maybe that was just for immediately before and after the panel earlier tonight? Ah well. I'll still be over there tomorrow.

I don't think they are demoing it to the public. Did you get a special invite or something? They did not mention demos at the panel and it's not on the schedule for the website or in the guide they handed out at the entrance.

Meier

I think I'm headed up around 1-1:30 or so. If anyone else gets there, post something and we can try and meet up!

pirata

I'm getting something to eat, but then I guess I'll be over there. Not sure how to get there though. I don't drive.

EDIT: Leaving at six.

Meier

I hope we can get a bigger crowd together some day. Had a great time hanging out with EviLore today! He got whisked away by industry types for a bit.

Also got to meet pirata who was very nice.

Glad you guys were able to meet up and had a good time. Sucks that I missed out on an opportunity to meet EviLore. Post some pics if you got em'.

Was there from 2-4pm, had no idea who to look for so just wandered for awhile. Was pretty crowded but I did get to see the Gears of War panel. I should've looked at the itinerary beforehand so I atleast could've seen Lord British yesterday.

Was there from 2-4pm, had no idea who to look for so just wandered for awhile. Was pretty crowded but I did get to see the Gears of War panel. I should've looked at the itinerary beforehand so I atleast could've seen Lord British yesterday.

He was there for less than 5 minutes. Basically just there to tell people about his Kickstarter in case they didn't already know about it and to introduce a band.

I'll be attending the Shadowrun Returns panel at 12:30 p.m. Look for the guy with black plastic framed glasses using a small sliver Sony picture camera as a video camera, hopefully near the front.

I also might go the Social Underground party tonight at 7.

I'll be heading down to the gaming expo later today. Gotta get some sleep first lol.

By the way, Arcade UFO is amazing. Trust me on this. Everyone there is extremely friendly, and there are a nice variety of games despite it's small size (although, the primary focus is fighting games, of course).

DaRabidDuckie

Hi guys, I'm new to both Austin and GAF. Dropping in to say hello and to get involved in my local gaming community.

As for the Gaming Expo, I went, but it was apparently at a bad time on Sunday. The focus just seemed to be on mobile/tablet gaming (aside from Nintendo), and I just have no interest in World of Tanks. I was actually surprised there's enough demand for that to have official tournaments for it. >.> I'm just mostly sad that I missed the adorable Alisa cosplayer...

By the way, Arcade UFO is amazing. Trust me on this. Everyone there is extremely friendly, and there are a nice variety of games despite it's small size (although, the primary focus is fighting games, of course).
Indeed, UFO is awesome. It's the first place I hit up when I moved here three weeks ago. I'd also like to go check on Pinballz, but my new job doesn't start for two weeks and money's tight.

Zoe

Crap! I forgot to mention that there was a Groupon deal for Pinballz. Hope some of you got to bite on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom