• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Woohoo I talked to my friend and we're leaving for Austin on Friday! We'll be there 3 days and 2 nights.

6th street is a given and I wanted to visit UT.

We're going to try BBQ at some place for sure as well.

But what else do gaf? Figure I would ask here instead of creating a new thread.

Zoe

Try Franklin's for bbq if you have the time to kill in the morning. Otherwise Salt Lick is the tourist spot (go to the Round Rock location if you don't care about the atmosphere and want to pay with credit card).

Any of you guys going to Peelander-Fest tomorrow?

https://www.facebook.com/events/139442286223235/

I'm really looking forward to seeing Anamanaguchi and Peelander-Z for the first time, and MC Lars is awesome. He put on a great set the other night at Game Over.

If any of you happen to see a guy with an eye patch -- it's probably me. Be sure and come say hi!

Oh man, I was there but i didn't see you! I was the guy with the flannel shirt standing by the purple food truck and taking pictures.

Here's one I took of an interesting fellow in the crowd.
tumblr_mjts823PLj1rj7rb1o1_1280.jpg

DaRabidDuckie

Arcade UFO and Game Over
Game Over kicks so much ass... SO MUCH.

Sub_Level: If you go do UFO, let us know and we can have a shmup/fighting game night. Maybe some puzzle fighter, too. :3

Oh man, I was there but i didn't see you!
Hahahahaha, that's not something I hear too often, at least not since I had to start wearing an eye patch. It's understandable though, given all of the epic beards roaming around. I was hanging out to the side of the big purple food truck when I wasn't in the mosh pit. I think I broke some dude's ribs, but he said it was cool and kept on going. He had to have been on something... >.>

Sucks that I didn't run into you though!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Woohoo I talked to my friend and we're leaving for Austin on Friday! We'll be there 3 days and 2 nights.

6th street is a given and I wanted to visit UT.

We're going to try BBQ at some place for sure as well.

But what else do gaf? Figure I would ask here instead of creating a new thread.

This is what I would do.

Friday Night: East Sixth Street Trailer Food (Spartan, Way South Philly) then hit some bars. Liberty Bar has East Side Kings in the back. West 6th is horrible.
Saturday: If up before 10 AM, go to Torchy's Tacos and get a couple tacos. Around 12:30 go to Franklin's and get in line. (I find this a better way to get their food with less waiting and more sleep). For dinner, pick one: Gourdough's, Barley Swine, Uchiko, Uchi. Bar it up south of 5th Street.
Sunday: Tacodeli lunch and head out.

Things to do in between? Check out a show at the Drafthouse (specifically The Ritz).

Zoe

Why go with tacos twice when you could get a proper breakfast or brunch somewhere? For brunch downtown, I like Moonshine. For breakfast, Kerbey Lane and Magnolia are popular.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Why go with tacos twice when you could get a proper breakfast or brunch somewhere? For brunch downtown, I like Moonshine. For breakfast, Kerbey Lane and Magnolia are popular.

Different places, different tacos. Also he might not get up in time for Torchy's.

Anyways, I'd recommend Tenderland but they're closed for the time being.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I wouldn't recommend Torchy's for their breakfast tacos. The tacos actually worth eating are good for lunch or dinner.

Ranchhand is amazing. I had one this morning. And there is nothing stopping you from getting the other tacos for breakfast!

Zoe

What are you talking about? They have great breakfast tacos.

I'm partial to Rudy's breakfast tacos. Or just mom&pop trailer tacos.

I'm pretty sure that at least as of a couple of years ago, the consensus was that Taco Shack was the place to go for breakfast while Torchy's and Taco Deli were for the rest of the day.

DaRabidDuckie

Anyone going to Thursday Night Throwdowns at the Game Over in Round Rock next week? I'll be there! Totally free! XD

https://www.facebook.com/events/513838088667858/

Also, there's a FREE KoF13 tournament happening this weekend at Arcade UFO. If you haven't played the game but want to see what it's about, show up!

(if you guys hadn't noticed yet, I'm a huge fighting game player. >.>)

Meier

It got windy and started raining down in South Austin but I don't believe we got any hail fortunately.

I think Torchy's breakfast tacos are pretty good and they're priced affordably. The Taco of the Month (The Roscoe) is amazing -- you guys have to give it a shot. It's a chicken and waffles inspired taco and it has a fried egg and bacon on it to boot.

There is a little taco place behind my building (Chemical Engineering) called Taco Joint (it's near the Crown and Anchor for anyone familiar with that) and they have some pretty good tacos as well. Only $1.75 for their breakfast tacos -- I usually couple that with a standard taco called the El Porko for lunch. Fuzzy's is a new place on the Drag that didn't impress me much.

My favorite straight-forward tacos remain from Cabo Bob's down on Ben White. Absolutely amazing ingredients and four types of tortillas to choose from. I usually go with ancho chili.

Zoe

Fuzzy's came from DFW, IIRC.

I tried the Roscoe on Sunday, but I thought it was a bit too rich. I might have liked it better if the waffle wasn't fried.

I had something similar to the Roscoe this past Saturday from the Lucky J's food trailer on east 6th . It's called the Waffle Breakfast Taco and it's got the same ingredients minus the tortilla and the waffle is soft and burrito sized and holds all the ingredients in nicely. Give them a try sometime.

AkuMifune

Banned
There is a little taco place behind my building (Chemical Engineering) called Taco Joint (it's near the Crown and Anchor for anyone familiar with that) and they have some pretty good tacos as well. Only $1.75 for their breakfast tacos -- I usually couple that with a standard taco called the El Porko for lunch. Fuzzy's is a new place on the Drag that didn't impress me much.

My favorite straight-forward tacos remain from Cabo Bob's down on Ben White. Absolutely amazing ingredients and four types of tortillas to choose from. I usually go with ancho chili.

I actually live near the Crown and Anchor but have never been inside. I usually just go over to Barfly's and hang out with the other smelly hipsters. I love the shitty places.

Meier

I actually live near the Crown and Anchor but have never been inside. I usually just go over to Barfly's and hang out with the other smelly hipsters. I love the shitty places.

It's actually a pretty decent little bar. They have cheap burgers too that aren't bad. Check it out.. actually all the food along that stretch is good. Sao Paolo is excellent.

AkuMifune

Banned
It's actually a pretty decent little bar. They have cheap burgers too that aren't bad. Check it out.. actually all the food along that stretch is good. Sao Paolo is excellent.

Why would I do that when I can get frozen burritos from the Hyde Park Market?

I'm eating like shit with my wife out of town. I should go!

Crown and anchor is a great college bar. Never all that busy, selection isn't too shabby and it's pretty cheap.

Taco shack sucks
Used to run by one all the time, the smell of the food was great but their tacos were so bleh. Totally nondescript barbacoa

Meier

Crown and anchor is a great college bar. Never all that busy, selection isn't too shabby and it's pretty cheap.

Taco shack sucks
Used to run by one all the time, the smell of the food was great but their tacos were so bleh. Totally nondescript barbacoa
The place near Crown and Anchor is different. It's called Taco Joint (easy to mistake the two). From the receipt, I believe it's also in South Padre? Some Spring Break town.

Sub_Level

Thank you all for the recommendations. The friend I'm going with wanted to get in line early for Franklin's too; I suppose it must be delicious if I'm seeing it recommended here too.

Leaving for the road in 20 minutes. 9 hour overnight drive. I'm comin'...

rambo_first_blood_part_ii_im_coming_to_get_you.jpg

Sub_Level: If you go do UFO, let us know and we can have a shmup/fighting game night. Maybe some puzzle fighter, too. :3

I'm so down that I'm actually down; though it depends on my friend. Sunday night would prolly be the best for us. If not I'll probably visit again next month for Crystal Castles so there will be another opportunity for a meetup.

I still don't understand what all this neon clothing BS is. Is that the modern college kid's perception of the 80's/early 90's?

EDIT: oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

It's "roundup"

All the sororities and frats at UT come together for the biggest parties of the year. Everyone who's a part of a frat/sorority must look like walking highlighters in neon on neon clothing. Don't worry student attire near campus will return to normal by monday.

8 hours from EP to Austin :)

It used to be almost a 10 hour drive, then they raised the speed limit to 80mph. Hopefully it will raise to 85mph soon.

Sub_Level

Game Over was awesome even though they didnt have either of the games i was looking for (MGS VR Missions and SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2). I flipped out when i saw they had Xenogears and Suikoden 2 though. Will check out ufo pinball tomorrow and ill prolly check out the Game Over in San Antonio later this week.

For 6th street is it better to get a cab there or just drve and try to find parking? If the latter i cant drink but the cabs around here seem to have poor reviews...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Going to 6th and not drinking is a bad idea. Just take a cab. Expect the driver to be totally mentally unhinged.

DaRabidDuckie

KoF13 tournament at Arcade UFO was a lot of fun today, even though I finished dead last. >.>

Looking forward to checking out Pinballz. I'm supposed to go sometime with Frank and Steve, but I have no idea when that's happening.

Game Over was awesome even though they didnt have either of the games i was looking for (MGS VR Missions and SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2). I flipped out when i saw they had Xenogears and Suikoden 2 though. Will check out ufo pinball tomorrow and ill prolly check out the Game Over in San Antonio later this week.

For 6th street is it better to get a cab there or just drve and try to find parking? If the latter i cant drink but the cabs around here seem to have poor reviews...

Game Over's San Antonio store is probably their best. I always find something rare and unusual there.

It's 11:14, so you're probably already out there, but yeah take a cab. Parking anywhere downtown on a weekend night is a clusterfuck of fuck. Especially since they killed the parking lot at 2nd/3rd and Congress to put up a hotel.

KoF13 tournament at Arcade UFO was a lot of fun today, even though I finished dead last. >.>

Looking forward to checking out Pinballz. I'm supposed to go sometime with Frank and Steve, but I have no idea when that's happening.

KOF XIII: Rest assured, if I had attended, you would at least be ahead of me. Haha!

I'll talk to Frank about Pinz so we can work out a time. Any weeknight after 6:30 works for me.

Sub_Level

Got back to muh desert early this morning. Austin was awesome!

This is what I would do.

Friday Night: East Sixth Street Trailer Food (Spartan, Way South Philly) then hit some bars. Liberty Bar has East Side Kings in the back. West 6th is horrible.
Saturday: If up before 10 AM, go to Torchy's Tacos and get a couple tacos. Around 12:30 go to Franklin's and get in line. (I find this a better way to get their food with less waiting and more sleep). For dinner, pick one: Gourdough's, Barley Swine, Uchiko, Uchi. Bar it up south of 5th Street.
Sunday: Tacodeli lunch and head out.

Things to do in between? Check out a show at the Drafthouse (specifically The Ritz).

We actually got there super early Saturday. We first went to Game Over which I posted about earlier, then to Quality Seafood Market for some bombin' Catfish, and then to Cabella's. What a cool store; the ultimate physical manifestation of the concept of "muh guns; muh freedom". Their gun counter was so big it had a ticket system; I'd never seen anything like it. The Catfish they have in their aquarium are so huge. And there's a huge diorama in there detailing different species of deer to shoot. Took a nap later then went to 6th. So badass; I forgot the bars we went to. At Coyote Ugly there were girls dancing on the bar and one guy got a shot dripped into his mouth by one of the hot bartenders. We had a fuckin' good NYC style pizza at a place that started with an R but I forget at the moment. A buncha guys from my high school back in El Paso were there too that night by chance although we didn't meet up with them directly. Finally, after some more bars and music we took a taxi to a strip club where I proceeded to blow $288 (which was not part of the plan but hey).

Didn't do Drafthouse since that's comin' to EP anyway.

Going to 6th and not drinking is a bad idea. Just take a cab. Expect the driver to be totally mentally unhinged.

The taxi we took from the strip club was cool actually..by that point we were drunk and probably more off the rocker than him anyways. So expensive though; our fare was ~$55...not really a viable method of daily transport at all, and I'm not sure if I lived there outside Central Austin that I would be willing to pay that every weekend I'd go out to 6th (and realistically I would go there every weekend if I lived there lol)

Thank you Lathentar for recommending Gordoughs and East Side Kings. We went on Sunday.

Son of a Peach is the best (and probably unhealthiest) pastry I've ever had. We were apprehensive about going to East Side Kings because it was in a not-as-nice part of town; but my friend wanted to go to Cheer Up Charlies which ended up having probably the best beer I had in Austin (although I forgot the name...it was a local brew >_<). ESK had this chicken bun thing with chicken, a strange type of bun, cilantro, and sliced jalapeno. It blew my friend and I away. Best drunk-and-its-cold-outside food evar! On the way back we saw a drunk guy hitting some traffic signs with a big stick.

Sunday was better because other than the food we also walked all the way from South Congress to UFO Pinball (which I felt was underwhelming if you're not a fighter enthusiast although it's still cool). The UT campus is gorgeous. Then we went to that Anchor bar nearby that has also been mentioned in this thread and had a burger which wasn't bad not to mention we met up with another old high school buddy who bought us a pitcher of beer. He proceeded to walk with us all the way back to 6th to the Bat Bar where we saw a pretty sweet cover band and take some shots. Otherwise 6th was dead that night and not as fun regardless since I couldn't get drunk as we had driven to a parking spot near 5th that time (good prices by the way; like $10 from 3pm to 7am in our case). We did see a guy at a bar go into the women's restroom with a girl and...yeah. There was a band doing a Dave Matthew's cover when the singer stopped and announced to the patrons "look everybody; she just fucked that guy in the restroom" lol. Pretty sure it was just a blowjob but everyone seemed to find it hilarious including the bouncer who told them to get out (and he didn't kick them out of the bar entirely either; a testament I think to how chill everyone is in that city)

8592996845_409c9646d4_b.jpg

random dumpster with this poster..."nigga i'm high as fuck"

On Monday we ate at this burger place called Hopdoddy. So fuckin' good and well worth the price and wait in line. Bleu cheese bacon burger holy fuck. Easily in the top 3 burgers I've had. Walked around the shops in South Congress (lotsa pretty girls!) and then had to take off back to EP.

In closing; while I totally broke my budget and had a somewhat mundane Sunday night; this city was fantastic and I've already made up my mind that I'm coming back. And hell if things work out in the next couple years I would live there. All that access to other East Texas cities, the drive to the coast and forests, and dat UT mang. The road trip was weird though. Stopped for gas at this strange little town called Iraan, Texas and also heard Pitbull's "Don't Stop the Partttaaaay!" song in the middle of a country station. Also your traffic is terrible. Thanks so much for the advice gaf; I felt like we condensed a 4-day trip into 50-60 hours (like 20 of which were sleep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom