• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Texas Community Thread of Heat, BBQ, Heat, Hail, Heat, and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

I prefer Asian-style karaoke. I finally tried out Hi Tunes Karaoke not too long ago--so much better than the other two!

Did the Electric Run 5K as a last minute "ah, what the hell..."

Jesus... 10,000 fucking people for a fun run. There was one point where I was in the middle of it all and I just stopped to look around. I was in a sea of neon and glow sticks. After the finish line they dumped us into a rave. Awesome.

Did the Electric Run 5K as a last minute "ah, what the hell..."

Jesus... 10,000 fucking people for a fun run. There was one point where I was in the middle of it all and I just stopped to look around. I was in a sea of neon and glow sticks. After the finish line they dumped us into a rave. Awesome.

I drove by a 5K color run today in Houston that was taking place in the Reliant Stadium parking lot. Seems like theres a color run or some other gimmick run like the electric run 5K every week. No one does regular 5K's anymore as young people these days demand to be entertained and amused even during exercise.

Walked by Kung-Fu Saloon on Saturday. Clientele was as described earlier in this thread. My wife and I decided to pass it up.

Did the Cap10K yesterday. Great turn out and I was happy my out of shape ass was actually able to finish. Anyone else here attend?

DaRabidDuckie

So my birthday is tomorrow (I'll be 33), and since I've only been in Austin for a month, I've decided that my gift to myself is to make some new friends. I'll be at the Flying Saucer from at least 8-10PM, so drop by and say hello if you'd like! I'm not that hard to spot, just look for the guy with the eye patch!

Meier

So my birthday is tomorrow (I'll be 33), and since I've only been in Austin for a month, I've decided that my gift to myself is to make some new friends. I'll be at the Flying Saucer from at least 8-10PM, so drop by and say hello if you'd like! I'm not that hard to spot, just look for the guy with the eye patch!

Never actually been there but it looks like they have Fox Barrel Pear Cider on draft. Highly recommended! If it were in South Austin I'd be happy to swing by but it's a bit of a hike on a work night. Hopefully some others show up and say hello.

DaRabidDuckie

Never actually been there but it looks like they have Fox Barrel Pear Cider on draft. Highly recommended! If it were in South Austin I'd be happy to swing by but it's a bit of a hike on a work night. Hopefully some others show up and say hello.
I'll have to check that out, thanks!

The Saucer is one of my favorite bars. I used to go there a lot when I lived close to Memphis, TN. Lots of great beers on tap, some pretty decent food (the bratwurst prezel is AWESOME, and so are the Rocket Tots!), but the best part are the super-cute waitresses who wear short plaid skirts and kneesocks. :3

They also do this thing where if you have 200 different beers, they put your name and a quote on a plate and then mount it on the wall. I think I'm getting close to 50.

I'll have to check that out, thanks!

The Saucer is one of my favorite bars. I used to go there a lot when I lived close to Memphis, TN. Lots of great beers on tap, some pretty decent food (the bratwurst prezel is AWESOME, and so are the Rocket Tots!), but the best part are the super-cute waitresses who wear short plaid skirts and kneesocks. :3

They also do this thing where if you have 200 different beers, they put your name and a quote on a plate and then mount it on the wall. I think I'm getting close to 50.

Are you going to the one in the Triangle? I lived in that complex last year. Used to go there every Tuesday for $3 pints. If I were still in Austin I would join ya

Holy shit, on draft? That must be incredible.

And like Meier, I'm a little tied down, otherwise I would come and be merry. :\

AkuMifune

Banned
I could walk there from my place on Avenue H, and with the family out of town I have no excuse not to make a fool of myself.

Not that I need one.

DaRabidDuckie

First my computer's power supply dies, then I find out my phone's been disconnected, then my tool case (the one that Harada, the guy who created Tekken) signed breaks. I can't afford to fix of any of these, and I need all three for work.

This birthday officially sucks so far. -_-

Yes, the Saucer is at the triangle. Thank goodness they're giving me a free pint.

First my computer's hard drive dies, then I find out my phone's been disconnected, then my tool case (the one that Harada, the guy who created Tekken) signed breaks. I can't afford to fix of any of these, and I need all three for work.

This birthday officially sucks so far. -_-

Yes, the Saucer is at the triangle. Thank goodness they're giving me a free pint.

Happy B-day and hang in there man.

AkuMifune

Banned
I started out my night with duckie pirate birthdayboy duckmeister and the enigma known as evilore, then somehow ended up in a rave (?) club with an anonymous gaygaffer, bailed, and now am smoking a joint on someones deck WHOM I DO NOT KNOW and I CAN'T STOP HICCUPING!

Happy 4.11 everybody.

PS. Evilore told me he will travel the world. Be prepared fellow acolytes, our leader is going mobile.

Walked by Kung-Fu Saloon on Saturday. Clientele was as described earlier in this thread. My wife and I decided to pass it up.

Did the Cap10K yesterday. Great turn out and I was happy my out of shape ass was actually able to finish. Anyone else here attend?
My wife ran the cap 10k. She finished in 46 ish minutes. Not her best race but not too shabby. I want to do the cap 10k one year but couldn't this time around. My shins are prone to injury these last few months

DaRabidDuckie

I started out my night with duckie pirate birthdayboy duckmeister and the enigma known as evilore
Yeah dude, thanks so much for showing up tonight! Really meant a lot to me, and thanks for the pretzel!

Evilore showing up was completely unexpected and awesome. I'm very humbled an honored that he dropped in! Thank you both so much for making tonight a huge success (also to beautiful Asian girls in plaid miniskirts! XD)!

I'm happy to report that the night was a huge success! Over 100 people wished me a happy birthday, I got to hang out with part of the best community of gamers on the planet, then I got treated to some awesome noodles and finished out the night with some KoF13 at Arcade UFO! Feeling like a million bucks right now! Thank you so much!

I was planning on coming by but ran into trouble while building a friend's computer. Sounds like it was a good time, I'll try to join the next one.

DaRabidDuckie

Damn Skippy.

Sounds like an awesome night!
Oh, it was. It totally was. Yay for Asian waitresses everywhere we went!

Indeed. Sorry I missed it.
You should be. :p

I was planning on coming by but ran into trouble while building a friend's computer. Sounds like it was a good time, I'll try to join the next one.
Irony: I almost called it off because of my own broken computer. Boy am I glad I didn't...

So the real question is why the hell don't we do this more often? I'm smelling LAN party...

(Oh, I said I'd post up my fb link in here. Everything you need to know about me is in there. Email, phone, IM, xbl, etc etc. All there. WWW.Facebook.com/johnwade4)

Apparently AustinGAF is full of stoners, so they don't do shit.

I'm totally down for a LAN party, though.
And getting stoned.

I'm glad you had a good turnout. AustinGAF is pretty big, but getting us together usually seems like pulling teeth.

Austin comparative to some other US cities is a small city, but as a North Austinite, I found it very difficult to make my way south of Lake Austin unless I was visiting a friend on Riverside. In the 3 years I spent living there I may have made it down South congress 4 maybe 5 times? It's like another world down there with even more hipsters. Never had the motivation to explore down there...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
ill be in austin 25th through 28th, doing photography, while my girl is at a conference, if anyone wants to meet up.

Austin comparative to some other US cities is a small city, but as a North Austinite, I found it very difficult to make my way south of Lake Austin unless I was visiting a friend on Riverside. In the 3 years I spent living there I may have made it down South congress 4 maybe 5 times? It's like another world down there with even more hipsters. Never had the motivation to explore down there...
See, I require a good Hong Kong supermarket, so I have no choice but to make the trek up north Lamer. :p

I feel you on sticking to your region, though. I'm in my comfort zone south of 290. I'm getting more adventurous though, particularly in seeking out good places to eat.

captive: I'll see if I'm not working those days. I feel bad for missing Duckie's get-together, so maybe I'll actually get off my butt and make an effort to meet up fellow Gaffers.

Zoe

The only time I ever go south of Cesar Chavez is for a friends' place near Southpark Meadows.

<3 Northwest Austin

See, I require a good Hong Kong supermarket, so I have no choice but to make the trek up north Lamer. :p

If you ever need Korean instead of VietnameseChinese, you should check out Hana World a few miles north of MT.

Hong Kong Supermarket also reopened at 183, but it's been pretty bare the past couple of times I've gone in.

AkuMifune

Banned
ill be in austin 25th through 28th, doing photography, while my girl is at a conference, if anyone wants to meet up.

I'm down again! And I really need to get over to Arcade UFO, maybe over the weekend sometime. I've been playing SSFTHDR with a controller for too long. I know.

Meier

I'd love to meet up with y'all be it in a LAN Party or whatever. I don't actually have a laptop these days so I could play some Fruit Ninja on my iPad or something! Could definitely cart an Xbox too.

I'm on South Lamar personally. North Austin is another world away but I know if we want to buy a house it will have to be up there as anything "cheap" (sub $200k...) on this end of town is REALLY south or a 450 SF condo on Manchaca.

Yeah, we'll definitely need a central location for a LAN party or the likes. I'm pretty far North at 183 & Anderson Mill. I have my beat up Macbook that I could bring along, but I will need to throw Windows on it to play anything serious. Even then it's a couple of years old and will be a bit limited. I could pack up the Dreamcast for some 4 player Power Stone 2 or even the Saturn for 6 player Guardian Heroes.

DaRabidDuckie

I have a <3 for Guardian Heroes. Oh yeah.

I live in South Manchaca, off off Stassney. I have no problems going anywhere in Austin. I even hit up Round Rock sometimes.

I had some noodles from Tatsuya the other night. Om to the mother fucking nom. Also had two cute waitresses hit on me. It's got to be the eye patch.

(Edit: really? How the heck does cute autocorrect to future?)

Flink

Yeah, we'll definitely need a central location for a LAN party or the likes. I'm pretty far North at 183 & Anderson Mill. I have my beat up Macbook that I could bring along, but I will need to throw Windows on it to play anything serious. Even then it's a couple of years old and will be a bit limited. I could pack up the Dreamcast for some 4 player Power Stone 2 or even the Saturn for 6 player Guardian Heroes.

Dreamcast would be amazing! If I wasn't unemployed and broke, I'd say let's do it at my place as I live in the Domain. Some cool places to go here.

So on the real, are we looking at an Austin meetup maybe after finals are done next month? Sounds like a good time and reason to me.
Sure. Start throwing out some ideas.

The only thing I have planned in the near future that might make for a good meet is the Classic Game Fest going on in the middle of July. I will be attending at least one day of the con and as a bonus my birthday falls somewhere in that same weekend.

Our location and ages will probly play a role. Downtown or central seems to be most convenient unless there's some crazy festival going on. Also, are most of us old enough to drink? :p

Meier

Central/Downtown definitely works best (well, South works best for ME really but obviously the more Central, the more likely folks will come!). I would think most people are of bar age. It's a shame that the Highball closed.. we could have gone bowling or did karaoke in one of the back rooms! Maybe next year. :D

I'm down for a meetup. I live essentially where Hyde Park and North University meet, so there are a couple of bars (Hole in the Wall, Spiderhouse, etc.) right by me. I'm cool with downtown, too.

Zoe

Central/Downtown definitely works best (well, South works best for ME really but obviously the more Central, the more likely folks will come!). I would think most people are of bar age. It's a shame that the Highball closed.. we could have gone bowling or did karaoke in one of the back rooms! Maybe next year. :D

The Good Night has karaoke now. Gonna be one of a billion Asians there Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom