• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Only one I know out of that list is Mariota.

:jnc She's a UGA journalism alum and is one of the anchors of Good Morning America.

Florida missed their opportunity. They could have had this fine woman represent them.

vUaIiUJ.gif

Sad state of QB play, when it just takes 2 good QB's in the league to claim "best Conference QB in CFB."

andycapps

Sad state of QB play, when it just takes 2 good QB's in the league to claim "best Conference QB in CFB."

True, and then outside of Stanford, you wonder who else plays defense in the PAC 12. It's hard to tell if these QB's are great or if the defenses they're going against are horrible. Could be some of both.

Speaking of, SEC defenses will look better again this year due to all the new QB's.

Celebrities/athletes interviewed for the film (one for each school in the SEC):

1 - Darius Rucker - South Carolina
2 - Jason Dufner - Auburn
3 - James Carville - LSU
4 - Ashley Judd - Kentucky
5 - Shepard Smith - Ole Miss
6 - Charlie Daniels – Tennessee
7 - Amy Robach - Georgia
8 - Willie Geist – Vanderbilt
9 - Melissa Joan Hart –Alabama
10 - Rick Perry - Texas A&M
11 – Ralphie May - Arkansas
12 – Emmitt Smith - Florida
13 – Carl Edwards - Missouri
14 – Jonathan Papelbon – Mississippi State

Rick Perry is the textbook definition of "full aggy." Great choice.

True, and then outside of Stanford, you wonder who else plays defense in the PAC 12. It's hard to tell if these QB's are great or if the defenses they're going against are horrible. Could be some of both.

Speaking of, SEC defenses will look better again this year due to all the new QB's.

USC was pretty good on defense after they dumped Kiffin last year.

Only one I know out of that list is Mariota.

:jnc She's a UGA journalism alum and is one of the anchors of Good Morning America.

Florida missed their opportunity. They could have had this fine woman represent them.

vUaIiUJ.gif

Brett Hundley is a likely first rounder.

Mannion had some amazing WRs to throw to the last couple of years. If he puts up big numbers without them this year he could end up a fringe first rounder.

cdyhybrid

1) Don't watch Pac-12 games
2) Don't recognize Pac-12 QBs because you don't watch Pac-12 games
3) "I don't recognize those names so they must not be very good!"

This is how the SEC gets 10 teams ranked in the preseason every year.

Mariota and Hundley are top 10 picks, Hogan and Mannion could be mid-late first-rounders, Kelly is probably a mid-round pick. Kessler we'll see, he showed some promise and he has a coach that isn't Lane Kiffin, so he'll probably turn out pretty good. Halliday sucks because he's a Mike Leach QB and a dirty fucking Coug.

cashman

Banned
It was either Mannion or the other OSU QB that ended up sucking complete dick against Texas in the bowl game a couple years back. I'm not saying the guy sucks, but he's no Taysom Hill.

Talon

Andy, plz. Any self-respecting college football fan should know Hundley and Hogan at the very least.

Lol at Hogan as a 1st rounder though. Cdy plz.

Lonestar

Mariota I'm iffy on being a 1st rounder, simply on having the possible "system qb" effect, even if he really doesn't.

Hogan might get some of that "Andrew Luck" effect and fool a team into picking him higher than they should.

But overall, it's a wide open year for QB's in all of football. Get past CrabLegs, Petty and Mariota, it's a lot of unknown's. Some have already played well, but still are relatively invisible (anyone remember Auburn's CB QB?)

cdyhybrid

Andy, plz. Any self-respecting college football fan should know Hundley and Hogan at the very least.

Hogan listed as the 3rd overall QB for the 2016 draft by CBS (and #1 and #2 are probably leaving next year)

NFL Draft Scout has him as the #3 overall QB in his class (again behind Mariota/Hundley)

Rob Rang compares Hogan to Phil Rivers and has him as the #10 overall prospect

Take off those highlighter-yellow-and-30-other-colors glasses!

Mariota I'm iffy on being a 1st rounder, simply on having the possible "system qb" effect, even if he really doesn't.

Hogan might get some of that "Andrew Luck" effect and fool a team into picking him higher than they should.

But overall, it's a wide open year for QB's in all of football. Get past CrabLegs, Petty and Mariota, it's a lot of unknown's. Some have already played well, but still are relatively invisible (anyone remember Auburn's CB QB?)

Pretty much every draft website has Mariota as the #1 QB, and a bunch had him #1 last year if he actually came out of school.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

But overall, it's a wide open year for QB's in all of football. Get past CrabLegs, Petty and Mariota, it's a lot of unknown's. Some have already played well, but still are relatively invisible (anyone remember Georgia's CB Auburn's QB?)
Fixed.

Draxal

Hogan listed as the 3rd overall QB for the 2016 draft by CBS (and #1 and #2 are probably leaving next year)

NFL Draft Scout has him as the #3 overall QB in his class (again behind Mariota/Hundley)

Rob Rang compares Hogan to Phil Rivers and has him as the #10 overall prospect

Take off those highlighter-yellow-and-30-other-colors glasses!

Pretty much every draft website has Mariota as the #1 QB, and a bunch had him #1 last year if he actually came out of school.

Matt Barkley was listed as the #1 QB for 2 years.

It was either Mannion or the other OSU QB that ended up sucking complete dick against Texas in the bowl game a couple years back. I'm not saying the guy sucks, but he's no Taysom Hill.

I think his name was Vaz. His suckage was the only reason Texas was able to rally back to win that game.

andycapps

I know Hundley, and he's probably a mid first rounder according to what I've seen. I can't help it man, I was really busy last college football season but my Saturdays are going to be a lot more open this year.

Mariota is the #1 pick according to some right now, but I get what you're saying that he could be a system QB. Thing is, there's a lot of those guys that were supposedly system QB's that are tearing it up now. If he ends up on the right team he could be a franchise QB.

cashman said:
I've probably mentioned it like 50 times before, but Mack Brown really did recruit that guy to play safety.

I know I've mentioned it a million times before, but Tebow was recruited to UGA as a tight end. Honestly, he'd have been a great one and probably still been in the league. We've put quite a few in there.

I think having 0 experienced players to throw to will show us how good Mariota is this year. Although honestly he's a really impressive physical specimen and that's part of what gets people ranked so high as prospects.

Tom Brady is a system QB in the NFL and he's going to be in the Hall of Fame.

Chip Kelly used his system to make Nick Fucking Foles into one of the most efficient QBs in the NFL last year.

Look if shit heels like Jake Locker and Christian Ponder can be first round draft choices, I don't see why a guy with a far better track record in Mariota can't be one as well.

Draxal

Well, using that logic there's no one in this class worthy of being a first-rounder. They might bust after all, since they aren't Andrew Luck.

Preseason hype had Tajh Boyd and Teddy Bridgewater being the first two qbs off the board last year. There was some mention of Bortles, but usually not as high as those two.

Mind you, I'm not really knocking prognosticators because Gabbert/Ponder/Manuel exists.

cdyhybrid

GAMES THAT WILL NOT APPEAR ON THE SEC NETWORK

1. The 2002 Peach Bowl: Maryland 30, Tennessee 3

2. 2007: UL-Monroe 21, Alabama 14

3. 2010: Colorado 29, Georgia 27

4. The 2010 Liberty Bowl: UCF 10, Georgia 6

5. 1999: Louisiana Tech 29, Alabama 28

6. 2000: UCF 40, Alabama 38

7. 2008: Wyoming 13, Tennessee 7

8. 2004: Maine 9, Mississsippi State 7

9. 2010: Jacksonville State 49, Ole Miss 48

10. 1992: Citadel 10, Arkansas 3

11. 2010 PapaJohns.com Bowl: UConn 20, South Carolina 7

12. 2013: Oregon 59, Tennessee 14

13. 2000: Southern Mississippi 21, Alabama 0

14. 2010: Oregon 48, Tennessee 13

15. 1990: Post-death penalty SMU 44, Vanderbilt 7

16. 1992: Colorado State 17, LSU 14

17. 2000: UAB 13, LSU 10

18. 2012: ULM 34, Arkansas 31

19. 2005: USC 70, Arkansas 17

20. 1982: Kansas State 23, Kentucky 9*

*A note: this requires some explanation. Yes, this is a 6-5-1 Kansas State team, but it is still a pre-Bill Snyder Wildcats team and thus the equivalent of running into a doorjamb and killing yourself accidentally. That doorjamb is covered in flashing gumball lights, police tape, and has a protective walkway built around it, but you still managed to do the unimaginable, Kentucky. The Wildcats' QB that year, Randy Jenkins, had two passing TDs on the year AND THREW TWENTY INTERCEPTIONS IN JUST 187 ATTEMPTS.

P.S. There are no Florida losses on here. The SEC Network will show all of them weekly, along with Georgia Southern twice on Sundays. Kiss our asses, Birmingham, and Roll Tide.

Talon

You watch him play, and he's not a first round QB. Too skittish. Mannion's far better than him.

These preseason draft rankings are a joke as always. Shit changes so much over the season.

The days of the "gunslinger" and "field general" are kinda over if you ask me. Of the 600 or so dudes who can play qb at the d1 or pro level, probably 75% or more of them are "system" QBs. That's how they're coached: to be highly-proficient system-executing robots.

OSU and UNC have decided to cancel their home and home in 2017/2018. OSU has replaced them with UNLV and OSU, no way this becomes confusing.

Only one I know out of that list is Mariota

Serious question, do people only really watch their own conference and not others?

I at least knew hundley and Hogan.

I watch about three or four matches a week but it's always different conferences because I can only watch what they put on tv here

cashman

Banned
Serious question, do people only really watch their own conference and not others?

I watch about three or four matches a week but it's always different conferences because I can only watch what they put on tv here

I'll watch pretty much any game between two ranked teams

Lonestar

I know of Mariota, Hundley, Hogan, and Kessler (mostly because I remember him as a recruit, and in one of the last NCAA-GAF leagues, Coldblooded played as USC and rocked it with Uber-Kessler.)

Time to get dat SEC Network Channel Network, Son. IT SPARKLES LIKE DIAMONDS. WAR DIAMONDS.

OMG. This must have been something.

Mainers are not a sporting people unless you count lobster fishing, picking blueberries, or harvesting fresh maple syrup as sports.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=242620344

1st and 10 at the Black Bears 20 Ron Whitcomb (UM) pass across the middle complete to Christian Pereira (UM) for 19 yards. 3 7
1st and 10 at the Black Bears 39 Marcus Williams (UM) rushed up the middle for 9 yards.
2nd and 1 at the Black Bears 48 Ron Whitcomb (UM) pass left side complete to Arel Gordon (UM) for no gain.
3rd and 1 at the Black Bears 48 Montell Owens (UM) rushed right side for 4 yards.
1st and 10 at the Bulldogs 48 Montell Owens (UM) rushed up the middle for 6 yards.
2nd and 4 at the Bulldogs 42 Montell Owens (UM) rushed up the middle for 1 yard.
3rd and 3 at the Bulldogs 41 Ron Whitcomb (UM) pass across the middle complete to Ryan Waller (UM) for 25 yards.
1st and 10 at the Bulldogs 16 Ron Whitcomb (UM) pass left side complete to Kevin McMahan (UM) for a 16 yard touchdown. 9 7
Extra point by Mike Mellow (UM) is no good.

Sadly yes. Personally I watch whatever is on the channels I get, and I will go for games between two ranked teams as my first preference, then whichever game is closest in terms of score, or any possible upsets.

Can only speak for myself but while I follow as much cfb as I can, I really only watch my team's games and then maybe 12 or 15 other games at the most in a given season (not counting time spent flipping around to different games on a typical busy Saturday).

andycapps

For me it depends on who's playing. If it's a big matchup, I'm more inclined to check it out no matter which conference it is.

So who hates Tebow more after seeing him on SECN?

Karl2177

I would just like to take a moment of everyone's time to say that the Big 12 refs suck. You can get back to whatever you were talking about now.

I know of Mariota, Hundley, Hogan, and Kessler (mostly because I remember him as a recruit, and in one of the last NCAA-GAF leagues, Coldblooded played as USC and rocked it with Uber-Kessler.)

Time to get dat SEC Network Channel Network, Son. IT SPARKLES LIKE DIAMONDS. WAR DIAMONDS.

I would get think about getting the secn if you could stream it and internet was decent in Australia.

Espn has two channels in oz. They play matches from about 3am in the morning to 4pm in the afternoon on Sundays. I get up and watch from about 8am.

It's ok as it's generally the big matches shown in order from acc, then sec, then big 12 and big 10 and then they finish with a couple of Pac12 matches.

Generally they only show ranked matches but the biggest match of the weekend is not shown. I assume this is the match which get shown in free to air in the US so espn doesn't get rights to it, so I missed the sec championship game last year for example.

We also get that CFB panel show at the start of the day and then between matches they cross to Lou holtz and the other guy.

I'd have to say that the coverage is good if you go for a ranked team. However you nevwr see any non big five conference match.

Lonestar

Pretty sure I saw Florida's own, Aaron Hernandez.

Sad they stuck us with a bandwagon fan. No formative years experience. No Van Tiffin, no George Teague. No secretaries.

mre

Pretty sure I saw Florida's own, Aaron Hernandez.

Sad they stuck us with a bandwagon fan. No formative years experience. No Van Tiffin, no George Teague. No secretaries.
Seriously. Fucking mic up Rece Davis or Brad Edwards. They're already on your payroll.

Lonestar

Something else that bothered me for awhile, is that the SECN is in Charolette, outside the footprint.

Until we somehow rope in an ACC team.

mre

Something else that bothered me for awhile, is that the SECN is in Charolette, outside the footprint.

Until we somehow rope in an ACC team.
Well, they get bonus points for having a sober Namath on. Or at least a seemingly sober Namath. They had the good sense not to make Suzy Kolber a part of the SEC network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom