• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the doco last night. It was good but only really focused on two games (2009 and 2010 I think) and not some of the classic games of the past.

Also, the Bama fan who poisoned the tree should not have been given anytime to speak. He wanted attention and he got it.

There's a documentary on hbo about the osu michigan rivalry (best rivalry in all of sports!) although with Michigan sucking past few years it's lost some of it's luster

I will look at downloading it, we dont have HBO here.

However, the "best rivalry in all of sports" is a bit of a stretch.

If you are from anywhere outside of USA, there are plenty of other great sporting rivalries.

The Ashes in cricket (between England and Australia) has history and tradition, and hatred, to match anything Ive seen in CFB. And its between nations, so its bigger in terms of supporters. I had a neogaf thread about it and it was 120 pages long (for ten matches back to back).

Then you have the countless soccer rivalries around the world.

Lets just say its a good rivalry and the best in CFB.

In terms of CFB, for me, a lot of this has to do with recent history as well. That's why UNC - Duke is so good. Neither of those teams have fallen into tough times in the last decade:

Bama - Auburn
tOSU - Michigan (this hasn't been worth diddly for the last decade because Michigan is bitchmade)
Notre Dame - SC (this rivalry has always seemed anemic to me - doesn't help that we Kiffikins and Weis/Generically Angry White Guy Kelly faced off)
Texas - OU
FSU - Miami (this ain't worth as much anymore since Miami can't pay players anymore)

Before Andy chimes in with Florida - Georgia, this has been even more one-sided than tOSU - Michigan.

In terms of all of college sports, UNC - Duke and Louisville - Kentucky are obviously right up there. Too bad Indiana - Kentucky is no more. :(

In terms of nastiness, Mizzou - KU fans hate each other for Civil War reasons. It's sort of awkwardly nasty...

Tennessee - Bama seems more regional to me. Nobody north of the Mason-Dixon line seems to get how much those two fan bases hate each other. Also, ever since Foster's fumble at UCLA, Tennessee has stunk.

Cheers, I will look out for these matches this year.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, that documentary appeared before the following season, when Alabama won another Championship. It's to a point they could feasibly do a sequel, as Alabama won 2 more Championships, and Auburn became the first SEC team to lose a Championship game to a non-SEC team, tainting them forever.

While some of those other rivalry games might be more "known" nationally, or have longer periods of featuring great teams, none of them stand up to the viciousness, nor greatness (sadly...) of the Iron Bowl, as for the last 5 years, one of these teams was in the national championship.

Also, not having alot of the historical facts/games from the series, was a big criticism for the movie back then too.

The series was on hold for decades over how much to pay players, as well as whose Refs would be provided. :lol Plenty of Big Moments that have been given names over the years (The Run in the Mud, Wrong Way Bo, The Kick, Punt Bama Punt, Kick Bama Kick, Bo Over the Top, The Fumble, Honk if you Sacked Brodie)

It hurt to type that in.

tOSU and Michigan is boring as hell right now. Has to be a competition to be exciting. Much the same reason that our game with GA Tech (aka Clean Old Fashioned Hate) doesn't mean shit. They suck. Maybe one day when Paul Johnson is gone they'll be competent again.
There is a big difference between the OSU/Mich series and the Ga/Ga Tech series. OSU/Mich is still pretty back and forth. Michigan dominated the 90's and OSU dominated the 2000's. So far in the 2010's it has been pretty competitive. From a talent standpoint the series will always be competitive. GT/UGA hasn't been competitive since the early 1950's and more than likely will never be competitive again. GT just isn't capable of getting the talent needed to make it competitive no matter who the coach is. Paul Johnson has little to do with it. Personally, I really enjoy the OSU/Mich series. I think it is one of sports great rivalries.

andycapps

There is a big difference between the OSU/Mich series and the Ga/Ga Tech series. OSU/Mich is still pretty back and forth. Michigan dominated the 90's and OSU dominated the 2000's. So far in the 2010's it has been pretty competitive. From a talent standpoint the series will always be competitive. GT/UGA hasn't been competitive since the early 1950's and more than likely will never be competitive again. GT just isn't capable of getting the talent needed to make it competitive no matter who the coach is. Paul Johnson has little to do with it. Personally, I really enjoy the OSU/Mich series. I think it is one of sports great rivalries.
GA Tech could be much better if they had a better coach. They are in a good state for recruiting, there's no excuse really. They go after the same players as most schools in the region, they just lose most of those battles because no good offensive players want to play in that system. Jayson Stanley, recruit UGA just got, is the son of a Tech alum but didn't want to play in the triple option.

GA Tech could be much better if they had a better coach. They are in a good state for recruiting, there's no excuse really. They go after the same players as most schools in the region, they just lose most of those battles because no good offensive players want to play in that system. Jayson Stanley, recruit UGA just got, is the son of a Tech alum but didn't want to play in the triple option.
Ok, ill take your word for it. There is no excuse for why the last 9 coaches at GT were all fairly mediocre coaches and recruiters. I'm sure the next guy up will turn everything around and turn us into the national juggernaut we are supposed to be. Guys like Stanley, who don't want to play in the triple option, weren't likely to ever consider GT no matter who the coach is or what offense we run. We have recruited two wide receivers in our history that were ranked fairly high nationally like Stanley. UGA probably gets more than that every year.

Georgia Tech saw success against the Bulldogs in my watching lifetime, coaches like Bobby Ross and George O'Leary will help do that. They won a national title in 1990, for crying out loud. There's absolutely no excuse for the Jackets to get dominated in that rivalry like they have been in the 2000s.

Ganhyun

Ok, ill take your word for it. There is no excuse for why the last 9 coaches at GT were all fairly mediocre coaches and recruiters. I'm sure the next guy up will turn everything around and turn us into the national juggernaut we are supposed to be. Guys like Stanley, who don't want to play in the triple option, weren't likely to ever consider GT no matter who the coach is or what offense we run. We have recruited two wide receivers in our history that were ranked fairly high nationally like Stanley. UGA probably gets more than that every year.

To be fair you guys do pretty much just run all the time.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
DO YOU WANT PLAY DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL IN A MAJOR POWER CONFERENCE, WHILE LOSING TO YOUR INSTATE RIVAL DURING ALL FOUR YEARS OF YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE? AT GEORGIA TECH, YOU CAN DO THAT!

Ohio State-Michigan is probably the most storied college football rivalry on a national level.

More so than USC vs ND?

While Notre Dame and USC have defeated the other in landmark games enabling one of them to move onto a national title, the two teams have also played spoiler to each other several times.

Notre Dame – #1 undefeated Notre Dame beat #2 undefeated USC in the Coliseum en route to the national title in 1988. The Irish also spoiled Trojan title campaigns by giving them their first loss in the last game of the season in 1947 and 1952, as well as handing them a first loss in 1927, 1973 and 1995. They also tied #1 ranked USC in 1968, 21-21, knocking them down to #2 behind Ohio State (who then beat USC in a 1 vs. 2 matchup in the Rose Bowl).[14]

USC – Spoiled legitimate Irish title hopes in 1938, 1964, 1970, 1980, and tying them in 1948 (swaying the AP vote to Michigan).[14] Each game came in the final week of the season.[15] USC also spoiled Irish campaigns in 1931 and 1971.[14]

I feel like biggest rivalry in people's minds is always based on geography.

This note is also funny:

Specifically, two members schools, Stanford and California refused to play Notre Dame "on account of [Notre Dame's] low scholastic standards."[16] Since Notre Dame was a Catholic school, its academics were considered inferior at the time.[16]

andycapps

Are they going to be in the top tier if they got rid of Johnson? Probably not. If they got a competent coach that runs a system that kids want to play in, it would be an improvement. Hell, Vanderbilt has proven that with a good coach, you can get better recruits and build better teams every year.

DO YOU WANT PLAY DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL IN A MAJOR POWER CONFERENCE, WHILE LOSING TO YOUR INSTATE RIVAL DURING ALL FOUR YEARS OF YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE? AT GEORGIA TECH, YOU CAN DO THAT!

:)

Georgia Tech saw success against the Bulldogs in my watching lifetime, coaches like Bobby Ross and George O'Leary will help do that. They won a national title in 1990, for crying out loud. There's absolutely no excuse for the Jackets to get dominated in that rivalry like they have been in the 2000s.
Bobby Ross and George O'Leary were a combined 83-59 at GT with 5 8 win seasons in 12 years and a combined 5-8 against UGA when UGA had some pretty mediocre coaches. All in a time when it was much easier to win and recruit at GT. They were good coaches, especially Ross, but aside from the 1990 national championship they weren't much better than every other GT coach.

Are they going to be in the top tier if they got rid of Johnson? Probably not. If they got a competent coach that runs a system that kids want to play in, it would be an improvement. Hell, Vanderbilt has proven that with a good coach, you can get better recruits and build better teams every year.

:)
Yeah, we were much better when Gailey was our head coach. His pro style system made us nearly unbeatable.

Draconian

What's funny is the first game I think of when it comes to UGA/GT was the shootout a few years ago that GT won. I had no idea UGA won every other game in the past decade though.

People on Twitter referring to Paterno as a pedophile, rather than as a guy who knowingly employed and harbored a pedophile.

This is JoePa's legacy.

Yes.

Maybe if ND ever becomes relevant again outside the Fulmer Cup it'll have a case.

USC lost to ND for like a decade straight and the rivalry remained relevant. The game 2 years ago was the highest rated ABC Saturday night game in 7 years!

This is the series that brought us cash grab home and homes! This is the series that brought USC national relevance! This is the series that convinced ND to end their 45 year bowl ban!

Strangely this series, despite all the MNCs it has determined has rarely featured #1 vs #2.

New Minnesota alternate helmets.

BvMQa_ICMAEAzsw.jpg

Pretty nice, IMO. I like them a lot better than their primary helmets.

I kinda liked the matte looked of their primary helmets.

I liked that look for a while, but it has gotten so popular that I'm kind of tired of it now.

The main reason I like this new Minny helmet is that I like it when the helmet and jersey are different colors, rather than being the same color. Assuming they're wearing these yellow helmets with a maroon jersey, I think that's a sharp look.

Hey I'm just saying that I wouldn't be okay to watch my team waddle in mediocrity forever. I'd like them to at least try something new.
I agree, but hiring and firing coaches isn't going to get us anywhere until we fix the real problems with the program. Assuming that fixing those problems is even possible. I'm fine with firing Paul Johnson, I just don't expect it to change anything. Hiring him was our attempt to change things in the first place.

andycapps

I agree, but hiring and firing coaches isn't going to get us anywhere until we fix the real problems with the program. Assuming that fixing those problems is even possible. I'm fine with firing Paul Johnson, I just don't expect it to change anything. Hiring him was our attempt to change things in the first place.

Definitely. The sports culture at Tech has to change completely if they want to turn things around. I don't know that the athletic director there has things going in the right direction. Basketball was typically a strength for Tech, and they haven't even made the tournament in a few years.

I got these ones last year:

NCAA_FB13_TR_Footwear_Ohio_0106.jpg

Ooph, I think tOSU's iteration this year looks better.

I got these ones last year:

NCAA_FB13_TR_Footwear_Ohio_0106.jpg

I like these ones better.

I think the black swoosh on this year's shoe is what really bothers me. I generally don't mind when we use black as an accent color, but it should always be used judiciously (like how it's used in our helmet and sleeve stripes).

I hated it back in the 90s and early 00s when Nike was smothering black on all of their OSU gear. Nasty.

Got them into the FSU bookstore last week, already cop'd a pair. They're sweet to wear on gameday, but I don't think I'll be wearing them anywhere else. At least they're comfortable.

If a shoe isn't functional for playing a sport, I won't own it. Court shoes and dress shoes are all I own. I supposed it would be good to own a pair of shoes just to go out in, but I'm more of a functional shoe wearer. My shoe has to be made for something other than just fashion. BTW the cost of running shoes, are too damn high!

andycapps

If a shoe isn't functional for playing a sport, I won't own it. Court shoes and dress shoes are all I own. I supposed it would be good to own a pair of shoes just to go out in, but I'm more of a functional shoe wearer. My shoe has to be made for something other than just fashion. BTW the cost of running shoes, are too damn high!

Yeah, these are $120 AFAIK.

Really cute dog, Bert!

Enfinit

Yea, there's no chance in hell I would've bought those shoes had I not been able to cop a pair. Especially with the $100-something Nike price tag.

Men only need six kinds of shoes:

1. black/brown longwings (business)
2. canvas low-cut utilities (everyday shoes)
3. espadrilles (because flip-flops are for nerds)
4. bowery boots (because manliness)
5. standard training sneakers (for gym and athletic shit)
6. black oxfords (for classy shit)

You could actually remove the espadrilles and bowery boots and still be good to go.

EDIT: fuck the gators (even though I'm in grad school there now)

Yea, there's no chance in hell I would've bought those shoes had I not been able to cop a pair. Especially with the $100-something Nike price tag.

Men only need six kinds of shoes:

1. black/brown longwings (business)
2. canvas low-cut utilities (everyday shoes)
3. espadrilles (because flip-flops are for nerds)
4. bowery boots (because manliness)
5. standard training sneakers (for gym and athletic shit)
6. black oxfords (for classy shit)

You could actually remove the espadrilles and bowery boots and still be good to go.

EDIT: fuck the gators (even though I'm in grad school there now)

Own black/brown biz shoes. A couple pair of Pumas for everyday, some trainer shoes, and HyperDunks/HyperQuickness for bball.

Own black/brown biz shoes. A couple pair of Pumas for everyday, some trainer shoes, and HyperDunks/HyperQuickness for bball.

I'm kinda jealous of bball players because it seems like you guys get the coolest looking shoes. I don't play enough bball to justify dropping all that dough on the new Durants, Jordans, Lebrons etc.

Court shoes I buy are still $80-$120 but generally don't look as snazzy as basketball shoes.

cdyhybrid

I have a pair of black dress shoes, some black Timbs for just general hanging out/bar action, Vibrams for the gym, a few different pairs of Nike shoes that I almost never wear anymore, and some slippers for chill mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom