• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
ARWU International Rankings for 2014 were just posted.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html

Like the CWRU that were posted earlier, this is heavily biased for research universities, so the undergraduate experience is only a part of this.

I see my school is up to #22 internationally and #17 in the US.

1.) When the fuck did UCLA move up so far?

2.) When did Duke, UNC and Northwestern move down so far?

I realize this isn't the typical listing, but they're all fairly similar. I haven't kept up in years.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
OU's 5-star freshman RB Joe Mixon has been charged with a misdemeanor: act resulting in gross injury. (Translation: he punched a girl in the face at a bar and broke her jaw, cheek bone, sinus, and orbital bone.)

Mixon apparently called one of the girl's friends a gay slur, she shoved him, he lunged at her, she slapped him, and he broke her fucking face.

Amazing how many replies there are on Twitter trying to justify getting him on the field or not kicking him off the team.
Three thoughts:

1. You shouldn't hit girls (caveat: unless your life is somehow in peril from the woman).
2. But, she shouldn't have started the physical altercation.
3. True, but goddamn: "broke her jaw, cheek bone, sinus, and orbital bone"

I see my school is up to #22 internationally and #17 in the US.

1.) When the fuck did UCLA move up so far?

2.) When did Duke, UNC and Northwestern move down so far?

I realize this isn't the typical listing, but they're all fairly similar. I haven't kept up in years.

Well the sites rankings only go back to 2003, but UCLA was 15 that year and slowly moved up to 12.

Duke has been 31 or 32 every year since 2003. Since the site doesn't have data any further back I can't say if they were ever higher or lower.

Are you confusing these with the US News rankings?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Man, is that was a misdemeanor is now a days? That sounds like Felony level.

BvGV6JKCEAE3gY_.png

Welp, good on ND for expelling people. It was bad enough when football players were registering for classes they weren't going to take so they could sell their books when I was there. I just wish we could vacate the Charlie Weis years that I had to sit through. It would help my healing process.

I did like one of the articles I read which said starting qb Everett Golson was not involved in this scandal as his indiscretions were completely his own doing.

Thought process: "look at all these guys cheating around me, I'm going to cheat my own way."

Edit: forgot to mention...board of trustees met. They are not happy. People will be fired because of this.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://news.nd.edu/news/49851-notre-dame-reports-academic-misconduct-investigation/

The University of Notre Dame is investigating suspected academic dishonesty on the part of several students, including four members of the football team. Because of the potential for NCAA violations, the University notified the NCAA today, and the four football players will be held out of practice and competition until the conclusion of an ongoing investigation and the University honor code process. Any possible academic dishonesty by other students will be addressed appropriately.

“Integrity is at the heart of our mission and academic misconduct will not be tolerated at Notre Dame,” said Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., the University’s president. “If the suspected improprieties are proven, we will use the experience to reinforce among our students the importance of honesty in all that they do. We are also examining ways of better conveying to students that they can avail themselves of legitimate academic assistance without resorting to cheating.”

Evidence that students had submitted papers and homework that had been written for them by others was initially detected at the end of the summer session, and referred to the compliance office in athletics on July 29. The Office of General Counsel initiated an immediate investigation.

That investigation is ongoing. If it determines that the student-athletes would have been ineligible during past competition, Notre Dame will voluntarily vacate any victories in which they participated.

“The University is committed to thorough resolution of this matter, consistent with its commitment to academic integrity and adherence to NCAA rules," Father Jenkins said.

Students who are subject to the investigation will remain enrolled until its conclusion.

Basically, they'll do what has been said (Expell and Vacate wins) if the investigation proves it happened. Currently, the players are on suspension.

mre

Welp, good on ND for expelling people. It was bad enough when football players were registering for classes they weren't going to take so they could sell their books when I was there. I just wish we could vacate the Charlie Weis years that I had to sit through. It would help my healing process.

I did like one of the articles I read which said starting qb Everett Golson was not involved in this scandal as his indiscretions were completely his own doing.

Thought process: "look at all these guys cheating around me, I'm going to cheat my own way."

Edit: forgot to mention...board of trustees met. They are not happy. People will be fired because of this.
He should be applauded for his strict adherence to the principle of rugged individualism which has made our nation so great.

mre

Also, Notre Dame should go ahead and announce they're punishing themselves by self-imposing a post-season ban so I can root for them to go 12-0.

He should be applauded for his strict adherence to the principle of rugged individualism which has made our nation so great.

I'm still convinced that he legitimately thought that he wasn't cheating. He probably thought that copying and pasting stuff into a paper yourself was better than a tutor doing it for you.

Also, Notre Dame should go ahead and announce they're punishing themselves by self-imposing a post-season ban so I can root for them to go 12-0.

I don't see it happening as they don't get any conference money for not even showing up in the postseason. The only way they get money is if they go to a bowl...they will happily vacate wins left and right as it ultimately doesn't hurt their bottom line.

mre

I'm still convinced that he legitimately thought that he wasn't cheating. He probably thought that copying and pasting stuff into a paper yourself was better than a tutor doing it for you.
Then he should be applauded for his integrity!
I don't see it happening as they don't get any conference money for not even showing up in the postseason. The only way they get money is if they go to a bowl...they will happily vacate wins left and right as it ultimately doesn't hurt their bottom line.
Then I hope ND goes 0-12, and will have to find my schadenfreude elsewhere. Jerk. :(

Draxal

Yeah, ND takes this seriously, I don't like how you guys handled the Shembo situation, but I think this will get resolved quick.

Any chance Swarbrick gets axed?

Yeah, ND takes this seriously, I don't like how you guys handled the Shembo situation, but I think this will get resolved quick.

Any chance Swarbrick gets axed?

I agree, although I don't think we ever got all the facts surrounding Shembo and the circumstances ending up as tragic as they did color how we should interpret what happened.

I think the only person who is safe is Brian Kelly and that's mostly because of the contract buyout. They're still paying Charlie Weis millions of dollars a year for the next couple of years, I believe. But ND takes academic fraud REALLY seriously, so nothing would shock me at this point. Depending on how big this ends up being (outside of student athletes) I could see the BoT trying to push the President out.

mre

I agree, although I don't think we ever got all the facts surrounding Shembo and the circumstances ending up as tragic as they did color how we should interpret what happened.

I think the only person who is safe is Brian Kelly and that's mostly because of the contract buyout. They're still paying Charlie Weis millions of dollars a year for the next couple of years, I believe. But ND takes academic fraud REALLY seriously, so nothing would shock me at this point. Depending on how big this ends up being (outside of student athletes) I could see the BoT trying to push the President out.
So Kelly, who is infinitely closer to this situation based upon his position as head football coach, is safe because of contractual buyouts, but the President could be ousted for something that he (presumably) had no control over or knowledge of.

Looks like if we want to know the cost of ND's "academic integrity" we should look no further than Kelly's contract. Of course, Notre Dame would have to disclose that first.

Draxal

So Kelly, who is infinitely closer to this situation based upon his position as head football coach, is safe because of contractual buyouts, but the President could be ousted for something that he (presumably) had no control over or knowledge of.

Looks like if we want to know the cost of ND's "academic integrity" we should look no further than Kelly's contract. Of course, Notre Dame would have to disclose that first.

Well if its widespread into the general student body he's fucked. It's not like ND is a gigantic state school with a huge research element.

mre

Well if its widespread into the general student body he's fucked. It's not like ND is a gigantic state school with a huge research element.
The whole student body was fucking this same tutor? I don't know whether to applaud her for embracing her sexuality or make a crack about the town bicycle.

Draxal

The whole student body was fucking this same tutor? I don't know whether to applaud her for embracing her sexuality or make a crack about the town bicycle.

via @CampusInsiders, up to 22 current and former Notre Dame players could be involved in this scandal, and up to the last four years of wins could be vacated.

This could get very ugly.

http://www.chatsports.com/notre-dam...all-Rumors-Expulsions-Vacated-Wins-10-133-701

Let's bring this to OT and somehow link UCF again.

Zigzz14

Finally heard back from that guy I know. He says Daniels, Moore, and Williams are all done. Russell could return, possibly even this year. He is by far the best player of the group so that's a positive at least.

Affe, dorm/year? Didn't know any other domers frequented this thread

KingGondo

Banned
Three thoughts:

1. You shouldn't hit girls (caveat: unless your life is somehow in peril from the woman).
2. But, she shouldn't have started the physical altercation.
3. True, but goddamn: "broke her jaw, cheek bone, sinus, and orbital bone"
The severity of the injury tips me over the edge on this one.

Sends a terrible message if you keep him on the team.

I have confidence that Stoops will do the right thing.

Why do people who steal things and get away with it not have enough money to pay for things?

Why are locally or nationally famous people more likely to be recognized when they do something illegal?

A&M names sophomore Kenny Hill starting Qb

Also, Vince is back!
Vince Young has taken a job with Texas in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, where he will serve as development officer for program alumni relations.
Chip Brown of Horns Digest first reported the news, adding the job will pay "six figures." Young returned to Texas last year and earned a degree in Youth and Community Studies. "Vince’s passion for the educational success of young people and his experiences as a first-generation college graduate make him a perfect fit for this role," said Gregory J. Vincent, vice president for diversity and community engagement

andycapps

UGA picked up two commits for 2015 tonight. Jayson Stanley (4 star WR) and flipped Jonathan Ledbetter (4 star DE) from Bama.

The latter is the brother of a tight end UGA just picked up that had given up on football a few years ago to pursue basketball, but he came to camp with his brother and ended up working out well enough that they offered and he committed the same night and was able to enroll for 2014.

mre

UGA picked up two commits for 2015 tonight. Jayson Stanley (4 star WR) and flipped Jonathan Ledbetter (4 star DE) from Bama.

The latter is the brother of a tight end UGA just picked up that had given up on football a few years ago to pursue basketball, but he came to camp with his brother and ended up working out well enough that they offered and he committed the same night and was able to enroll for 2014.
Yes... that's the reason why he got a preferred walk-on offer. Jesus, andy. :jnc

andycapps

Yes... that's the reason why he got a preferred walk-on offer. Jesus, andy. :jnc
Haha well that's a cynical way of looking at it. But yeah, probably so. Worked with Alec Ogletree a few years ago too. They gave the older Ledbetter a scholarship though. The kid is really talented, just raw. If nothing else, he provides depth right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom