• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
upset-tennessee-college-football-fan-2012.gif

Think if Tennessee continues on for a few more years in misery-land, that all of their T-Shirts will end up as old and faded as this guy's.

YMrPy.gif%22

Oh I at least hope not. I like to see another winning season sometime in the future. I'm not holding my breath though.

I just want a bowl game. Is that too much to ask? Lol

I had to come into work (on a Sunday here) to catch up on some stuff but I have recorded the ESPN doco titled "Roll Tide/War Eagle" about the Bama and Auburn rivalry.

Looking forward to getting home to watch it. Anyone seen it?

Is there any bigger rivalry in CFB?

Notre Dame v Michigan seems pretty big from what I have seen but there doesnt seem like too many traditional rivalries match the Bama v Auburn one from my limited experience.

One of the reasons why I like the SEC is that the rivalries seem like they have been around for longer than other conferences.

I had to come into work (on a Sunday here) to catch up on some stuff but I have recorded the ESPN doco titled "Roll Tide/War Eagle" about the Bama and Auburn rivalry.

Notre Dame v Michigan seems pretty big from what I have seen but there doesnt seem like too many traditional rivalries match the Bama v Auburn one from my limited experience.

One of the reasons why I like the SEC is that the rivalries seem like they have been around for longer than other conferences.

I know you aren't trolling, but this sounds like trolling. Notre Dame and USC is a way bigger rivalry. It's also cross-country which is kinda cool. Most big rivalries are with schools that are in the same (or at least adjacent) state.

cashman

Banned

Texas-OU and Michigan-tOSU are the ones that I can think of that are bigger. In fact I think if you ask some bama fans on here they would say they hate Tennessee worse than Auburn.

Notre Dame vs Michigan is actually ending after this year. It also isn't nearly the biggest rivalry game for either team (Mich/Ohio St and Notre Dame/USC). The two biggest rivalries in college football are probably the Red River shootout (Texas/Oklahoma) and the Ohio St/Michigan rivalry. Auburn/Alabama is probably close behind that though.

I know you aren't trolling, but this sounds like trolling. Notre Dame and USC is a way bigger rivalry. It's also cross-country which is kinda cool. Most big rivalries are with schools that are in the same (or at least adjacent) state.

ok, I just assumed that their Michigan rivalry was the biggest as that got the biggest crowd.

And I thought everyone hates Notre Dame the same!

Texas-OU and Michigan-tOSU are the ones that I can think of that are bigger. In fact I think if you ask some bama fans on here they would say they hate Tennessee worse than Auburn.

Texas appeared to me as someone like Notre Dame, where everyone hated them but there was no clear rival.

I didnt know of the Michigan-tOSU rivalry was big but that sort of makes geographical and conference sense.

I thought the biggest rivalry for tOSU was Wisconsin...

no1curr outside the south.

Psssh. Auburn-Georgia is a pretty old rivalry. 117 games, started in 1892 (same as the Civil War, one more game than the Big Game). A lot of the other SEC rivalries haven't even hit 100 games.

I only said they "seem" like the oldest rivalries. At least everyone seems to get into the spirit of the rivalry as much with the commentators and fans carrying on in the rivalry round.

Notre Dame vs Michigan is actually ending after this year. It also isn't nearly the biggest rivalry game for either team (Mich/Ohio St and Notre Dame/USC). The two biggest rivalries in college football are probably the Red River shootout (Texas/Oklahoma) and the Ohio St/Michigan rivalry. Auburn/Alabama is probably close behind that though.

Yeah I heard the Notre Dame v Michigan one was going to be the last one and I couldnt believe they would want to stop a game which attracts 100,000 spectators each year. Thats walking away from a lot of money.

I am heading home now and will watch the doco tonight and let you guys know how it is.

There's a documentary on hbo about the osu michigan rivalry (best rivalry in all of sports!) although with Michigan sucking past few years it's lost some of it's luster

Talon

In terms of CFB, for me, a lot of this has to do with recent history as well. That's why UNC - Duke is so good. Neither of those teams have fallen into tough times in the last decade:

Bama - Auburn
tOSU - Michigan (this hasn't been worth diddly for the last decade because Michigan is bitchmade)
Notre Dame - SC (this rivalry has always seemed anemic to me - doesn't help that we Kiffikins and Weis/Generically Angry White Guy Kelly faced off)
Texas - OU
FSU - Miami (this ain't worth as much anymore since Miami can't pay players anymore)

Before Andy chimes in with Florida - Georgia, this has been even more one-sided than tOSU - Michigan.

In terms of all of college sports, UNC - Duke and Louisville - Kentucky are obviously right up there. Too bad Indiana - Kentucky is no more. :(

In terms of nastiness, Mizzou - KU fans hate each other for Civil War reasons. It's sort of awkwardly nasty...

Tennessee - Bama seems more regional to me. Nobody north of the Mason-Dixon line seems to get how much those two fan bases hate each other. Also, ever since Foster's fumble at UCLA, Tennessee has stunk.

Jhriad

There's a documentary on hbo about the osu michigan rivalry (best rivalry in all of sports!) although with Michigan sucking past few years it's lost some of it's luster

Just some of it's luster? That rivalry hasn't been interesting for most of my adult life and I'm not a young man. The last time both teams were actually good in a single season was what, 2006? Nationally that rivalry, like most rivalries nowadays, has fallen by the wayside. With longer season schedules in the modern era I don't think that rivalries really play well to audiences other than to the fanbases involved.

ag-my001

I always liked Oklahoma - Nebraska games as a kid. They always seemed to be playing for something.

I've also heard it said that Notre Dame - Navy will last forever, since ND feels obligated to play Navy for as long as Navy wants to.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I always liked Oklahoma - Nebraska games as a kid. They always seemed to be playing for something.

I've also heard it said that Notre Dame - Navy will last forever, since ND feels obligated to play Navy for as long as Navy wants to.

That's awful magnanimous of Notre Dame to take that W each year. They're such swell guys, those Irish.

andycapps

Psssh. Auburn-Georgia is a pretty old rivalry. 117 games, started in 1892 (same as the Civil War, one more game than the Big Game). A lot of the other SEC rivalries haven't even hit 100 games.

You're being sarcastic but it is a really old rivalry and I hate Auburn almost as much as Florida. We have too many rivalry games.

Auburn vs Georgia is an older rivalry than the Iron Bowl by a year, Texas/OU by 8 years, and Ohio State and Michigan by 5 years. There's a reason they call it the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry.

Just saw Talon's post. WTF dude? UNC and Duke? Is this the fucking roundball thread?

I do hate Florida more than Auburn despite it being a much newer game and traditionally owned by Georgia. Auburn/Georgia is an almost even series.

tOSU and Michigan is boring as hell right now. Has to be a competition to be exciting. Much the same reason that our game with GA Tech (aka Clean Old Fashioned Hate) doesn't mean shit. They suck. Maybe one day when Paul Johnson is gone they'll be competent again.

That's awful magnanimous of Notre Dame to take that W each year. They're such swell guys, those Irish.
It's not worth playing one of the dirtiest teams in the country and losing people to injury because of that game. nobody in their right mind wants to play the best of the service academies every year. But nd wouldn't still exist if it weren't for the navy rotc program they established there during ww2, so they'll play that game forever.

andycapps

That's awful swell of Andy to embrace the annual loss to Florida. :)
I must have fallen into a time warp where our rivalry started in the 90's and wrapped up about 4 years ago. ;)

Cyan said:
I wasn't. Auburn-Georgia really is a pretty old rivalry. A lot of the other SEC rivalries aren't. (Some of that is because they're trying to force boring non-rivalries to be rivalries thanks to realignment, some are due to large gaps of not playing any games.)

It's hard to tell what's real and what's sarcasm in here. It's true that a lot of the other SEC rivalries aren't longstanding ones. I know that when Georgia Tech left the SEC back in the day that that ruined a lot of rivalries for the other schools.

Just some of it's luster? That rivalry hasn't been interesting for most of my adult life and I'm not a young man. The last time both teams were actually good in a single season was what, 2006? Nationally that rivalry, like most rivalries nowadays, has fallen by the wayside. With longer season schedules in the modern era I don't think that rivalries really play well to audiences other than to the fanbases involved.

Theres still been some good games since 06 between the 2, look at last year for example, came down to a 2 point conversion at the very end.

andycapps

Theres still been some good games since 06 between the 2, look at last year for example, came down to a 2 point conversion at the very end.
True, tOSU almost lost to a very bad Michigan team. That was pretty exciting. :)

Just having some fun there, but anything can happen in rivalry games. But the games are typically more exciting when both teams are doing well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alabama has to be the only team in the country that could enter the season at #2 after losing their QB and closing out the previous season with two losses against teams they should have beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom