• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

Feeling like Belichick watching the Rutgers practice from my balcony

14773727147_7f63fbf6b0_b.jpg

How are you guys looking this year? I'm really curious to see how Maryland and Rutgers shake things up in the Big Ten.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm kinda jealous of bball players because it seems like you guys get the coolest looking shoes. I don't play enough bball to justify dropping all that dough on the new Durants, Jordans, Lebrons etc.

Court shoes I buy are still $80-$120 but generally don't look as snazzy as basketball shoes.
Damn, didn't realize the price of KD shoes had gone up so much. I have a pair of KDs that I bought a few years back new for $90. Cheapest I can see now are $130.

Draxal

How are you guys looking this year? I'm really curious to see how Maryland and Rutgers shake things up in the Big Ten.

Rutgers could be anyway from 2-10 to 7-5. I'm leaning to 5-7 myself. I think Maryland should be a little better, but that will depend if they can avoid injuries and recent history doesn't have them doing that.

I'm kinda jealous of bball players because it seems like you guys get the coolest looking shoes. I don't play enough bball to justify dropping all that dough on the new Durants, Jordans, Lebrons etc.

Court shoes I buy are still $80-$120 but generally don't look as snazzy as basketball shoes.

All about going at the right time. I got the below for $60 because they were last years model, just gotta talk to the sales people they got deals in the back that arent even on the racks:

2397784-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I have no idea what will happen honestly.

I was hoping that Flood would've been fired last year, the man is totally in over his head as a HC.

I do like the Fridge hiring, and well I'm scared at the same time. Fridge is the first person in Gary Nova's FOUR YEARS of being here to notice that he never plants his foot and is always throwing off his back foot, which lead to so many over throws and sailing passes.

I do like seeing Paul James 100% healthy.

WR isn't as deep as many people think.

OL is the best it has been apparently since like 06/07.

DL should be a strong suit, like the moving around of LBs, especially moving Snyder from SAM to MIKE.

The question mark remains to be the DBs. All of them are apparently injured but nothing serious. There should be no way as bad as they were last year, though I do hate once again breaking in a fairly young secondary against a team that will throw the ball 65+ times to start the season.

andycapps

I feel the opposite, I think basketball shoes look ridiculous when you're not on the court.

$120? yikes. Are these running shoes? If so, the price isn't too outlandish.

They look like running shoes to me, but I saw someone post that they were trainers, so I'm not sure.

What follows at this link is one of the strangest things you might read this offseason, but I can't think of anything that summarizes SEC and Bama football fandom moreso than a man that was willing to nurse his wife during the game so that he wouldn't have to miss it.

But this day was different. My son had been born the previous winter. He was nine months old, so my wife was nursing. Nursing is one of those things that has come a long way out of the shadows. It's no longer hidden behind closed doors. There are all sorts of accoutrements and what-not to enable women who are nursing to live a normal SEC life, considering that a tiny human derives all nourishment from their boobs.

Being without the baby all day to go to the game means that mama starts to feel the pressure, so she has to bring along a breast pump in order to relieve it. No problem. You plug it into the generator or the cigarette lighter because of course you bring the adapter. Nobody has time for clogged milk ducts.

Pressure averted, the day went on. This was supposed to be a 2:30pm kickoff, but due to the significance of the potential national viewership, CBS negotiated future concessions with ESPN to broadcast this game at 7:00 - great for ad revenue, bad for boobs.

Meanwhile, I was doing the only thing I could do to help the #1 defense in the country when real life intervenes in SEC fandom.

I was nursing my wife.

She recalls me saying this while taking a break:

"Hm. That's warmer than I expected."

There I was, in the hospitality suite, in the family restroom, on my knees, suckling my wife. Class-attending, test-taking me could not believe this moment. It was a gameday experience beyond my wildest dreams.

In an altruistic effort to relieve my wife's pain, I did what I had to do. It was a sacrifice not to be in the stadium to cheer on the team for part of the 3rd quarter. Also wanting to get back to the game, she gave me tips and pointers on how to do it better & faster. When success was achieved, I peeked out the door and slipped away for a white cupcake with a red icing A on it. To avoid the walk of shame, about a minute later my wife came out free and clear, since the hospitality suite was basically empty given the preeminence of the game.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's written by a T.H? That article I posted should really get it's own topic in OT and be linked back to UCF.
Yes, a "T.H." I.e., Clay Travis was free to spin whatever outlandish story he wants, and is free to point back to it and say, "whoa, now. That was T.H., there. Not me."

andycapps

Yes, a "T.H." I.e., Clay Travis was free to spin whatever outlandish story he wants, and is free to point back to it and say, "whoa, now. That was T.H., there. Not me."

It sounds too ridiculous to be true. But if it was true, do you think anybody would put their real name on that?

100% agree with this, but I also buy the most ridiculous basketball shoes for the court.

Not much of a basketball player these days, so I just use some trainers when I do play. Have a little bit of support but I'd be worried about rolling my ankle if I played often.

It sounds too ridiculous to be true. But if it was true, do you think anybody would put their real name on that?

Not much of a basketball player these days, so I just use some trainers when I do play. Have a little bit of support but I'd be worried about rolling my ankle if I played often.

Yeah I need the ankle support of high tops, I have flat feet so they tend to roll very very easily.

The SEC network launched a couple weeks early IMO. Other than the SEC celebrity testimonial documentary that aired on day 1, and "SEC now" programming has been all classic SEC football games. In a couple instances, the game showing on SEC-N was aired on ESPN-U just a couple hours earlier. The network needs more live programming, because right now its just SEC-Classic. Should be rectified in a couple weeks.

andycapps

The SEC network launched a couple weeks early IMO. Other than the SEC celebrity testimonial documentary that aired on day 1, and "SEC now" programming has been all classic SEC football games. In a couple instances, the game showing on SEC-N was aired on ESPN-U just a couple hours earlier. The network needs more live programming, because right now its just SEC-Classic. Should be rectified in a couple weeks.

It's true, but people are so football starved right now, I think they'll survive until the season starts.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Better for them that it be boring now than that they launch closer to the season and have some kind of issues with the rollout.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The only hours of original programming, is the Finebaum show (lol, the irony of that show being original content) and a 1-2 hour block afterwards, where they do a combination of "Conference news" and 2 preview shows on particular teams. Today it appears to be about the schools from Mississippi. During the day it's "best of" for the conference, and the middle of the night, they'll do a "Best of" for that day's team (tonight, it's a bunch of Ole Miss games!)

Thursday is the Alabama day. Alabama and Auburn previews, and the Bo/Barkley/Frank Thomas documentary (I hate Auburn, but I like all 3 of those players).

If the network ever starts showing games from before 2000, or even before 1990, I will be stoked. Even though I have a mountain of old VHS tapes of old Alabama games, I haven't seen those games since they happened.

The only hours of original programming, is the Finebaum show (lol, the irony of that show being original content) and a 1-2 hour block afterwards, where they do a combination of "Conference news" and 2 preview shows on particular teams. Today it appears to be about the schools from Mississippi. During the day it's "best of" for the conference, and the middle of the night, they'll do a "Best of" for that day's team (tonight, it's a bunch of Ole Miss games!)

Thursday is the Alabama day. Alabama and Auburn previews, and the Bo/Barkley/Frank Thomas documentary (I hate Auburn, but I like all 3 of those players).

If the network ever starts showing games from before 2000, or even before 1990, I will be stoked. Even though I have a mountain of old VHS tapes of old Alabama games, I haven't seen those games since they happened.

They've shown Texas games from the 80's on LHN. I've seen a few with Todd Dodge at QB. Also they air the 1969 game with James Street defeating Arky at least twice a month. I'm sure the SEC networks archive of classic games will get deeper as time goes on.

Better for them that it be boring now than that they launch closer to the season and have some kind of issues with the rollout.

Yeah that's true, but its ESPN so this wasn't their first rodeo.

jagowar

This would be my guess... they wanted a few weeks to iron out any kinks before college sports start back up.

Not that it really matters but some of the watchespn apps have not updated yet (roku and some of the xbox ones, although according to the roku forums that update is due this week). Launching early lets them get everything out and updated before the live events start.

Chris R

If they don't find time to show EVERY SINGLE CFB game between Saturdays involving SEC teams they done goofed.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like OU has "suspended" Joe Mixon for a year, and by "suspended" they mean he's off the team, loses his scholarship, and must pay his own way if he wants to stay at OU.

::edit::
I guess the statement says he is still eligible for financial aid, so I don't know if that means his football scholarship or not.

ESPN just signed a new 13 year TV deal with the MACtion conference. Worth significantly more than the $1 million per they currently get.

I suppose we're closer to football every day of the week now!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Looks like OU has "suspended" Joe Mixon for a year, and by "suspended" they mean he's off the team, loses his scholarship, and must pay his own way if he wants to stay at OU.

::edit::
I guess the statement says he is still eligible for financial aid, so I don't know if that means his football scholarship or not.
So, will he be enrolling at Auburn tonight or tomorrow?

Chris R

I still don't know why ESPN broke up their online service to ESPN 3 and Watch ESPN. I was fine with ESPN 360, but no they had to complicate things to make it more difficult for consumers.

Yup, can't watch anything on Watch ESPN but have access to ESPN3 :| Totally fucked me for the world cup but I just watched the stuff on Univision since that was free and didn't require a login.

andycapps

This is a situation where I wish popcorn.gif wasn't banned on GAF.

Louisville defensive coordinator Todd Grantham is reportedly feuding with new head coach Bobby Petrino, and it's grown so contentious between the two that Grantham would have been fired before coaching a single game for the Cardinals were it not for a lucrative guaranteed contract.

And Petrino's callous reputation hasn't been improved with his players either, according to Sports Illustrated. Grantham left a much-maligned defense at Georgia after last season to join Petrino's new staff at Louisville, earning nearly $1 million per year on a five-year contract. Grantham isn't the highest paid defensive coordinator in the country -- Alabama's Kirby Smart is set to make $1.35 million this year -- but a five-year deal for an assistant coach is virtually unheard of, and makes Grantham much more of a fixture in Louisville than most assistant coaches.

"He's stuck with him," a source told SI of Petrino's relationship with Grantham.

This is a situation where I wish popcorn.gif wasn't banned on GAF.

Meanwhile, over on ESPN, is a Louisville/Petrino fluff piece.

Jurich knows there are people who doubt him and critics who cannot fathom why one of the most respected administrators in the country would take a risk on a coach who has burned him in the past. But Jurich believes he took no such risk. He is adamant that he hired a new man.

His reputation is riding on that bit of faith few others possess.

"I would never have a great relationship with Bobby if he wasn't a changed person because I don't live my life that way," Jurich said. "I want to be around people who are good human beings and have their priorities straight. And I know he's got his priorities straight now. That's the scary thing about it. He's taking all these shots from people trying to pile on, and pretty soon they're going to have to play him."
His players have been impressed, too. Generally, when coaching changes are made, roster attrition follows. Louisville has lost no major contributors since Petrino came on.

One of his players, receiver DeVante Parker, even called him "nice." That is probably not an adjective anybody expects to hear next to Petrino's name, but perhaps it is a sign he has mellowed -- off the field, anyway.

andycapps

Meanwhile, over on ESPN, is a Louisville/Petrino fluff piece.

The media as a whole seems to have always loved Petrino. I'm having a hard time buying the line that he's changed that much and that he's chill now. At least he's not in the SEC anymore.

People in the know saying Braxton out for the year
Damn. So who is waiting in the wings now that Smooth Kenny G (aka the better QB) is gone?

The media as a whole seems to have always loved Petrino. I'm having a hard time buying the line that he's changed that much and that he's chill now. At least he's not in the SEC anymore.

Damn. So who is waiting in the wings now that Smooth Kenny G (aka the better QB) is gone?

JT Barrett won camp from what I've heard. He was a big time recruit, but was still a year from being ready. We still have athletes all over the place, 8-4 season likely.

Fuck

andycapps

JT Barrett won camp from what I've heard. He was a big time recruit, but was still a year from being ready. We still have athletes all over the place, 8-4 season likely.

Fuck
Nah, I'd predict before something like 11-1 or 12-0, now I'd change that to 10-2 or 9-3. Good season if you're breaking in a true freshman at QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom