• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Texas is gearing up to close in our South endzone.

Might boost our attendance numbers up to 107k or so.

Hopefully they would also redo the West deck and lower bowl to remove some seats and put in a bit better infrastructure to wind up with a comfy 103-104k.

Gotta pay for the new varsity tennis facility near the Triangle first. Patterson has a lot of fundraising on his hands.

Sounds like Texas is gearing up to close in our South endzone.

Might boost our attendance numbers up to 107k or so.

Hopefully they would also redo the West deck and lower bowl to remove some seats and put in a bit better infrastructure to wind up with a comfy 103-104k.

Can't let Aggy get past you in stadium capacity, huh?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
In 20 years:

Aggy capacity: 250,000
UT capacity: 250,001

Not sure where this is coming from. Aggy are the ones that redid "The Zones" seating mid construction to pass ours back in the 90s.

We have had a 20 year stadium plan for 15 years. Aggy has been duct taping new decks to the tacklebox since Johnny Football started signing autographs for cash.

Do tOSU fans really expect anything less than 11 wins even with the Miller injury?

I certainly don't, but plenty of people are already freaking the fuck out, if my Facebook feed is any indication. Ohio sports fans always assume the worst, even with Ohio State football.

At least this will distract people from all of the dumb marching band shit.

KingGondo

Banned
I certainly don't, but plenty of people are already freaking the fuck out, if my Facebook feed is any indication. Ohio sports fans always assume the worst, even with Ohio State football.

At least this will distract people from all of the dumb marching band shit.
I really, really hope Ohio State makes the Rose Bowl against Stanford this year, because the tOSU Band-themed show by the Stanford Band is guaranteed to be GOLD.

im saying 9-3, loses at MSU, then toss ups for Michigan, va tech, and penn st, also could totally see a stupid loss to someone like Minny or Rutgers.

Did you watch any of Rutgers games last year? Their defense was getting straight up abused by the entire AAC. Are they supposed to be leagues better this year? Garrett Gilbert threw 5 TD's and 0 INT's in that game against Rutgers last year (I imagine JT Barrett is not a worse QB than Gilbert ). Keep Gary Nova in check and thats an easy W.

Did you watch any of Rutgers games last year? Their defense was getting straight up abused by the entire AAC. Are they supposed to be leagues better this year? Garrett Gilbert threw 5 TD's and 0 INT's in that game against Rutgers last year (I imagine JT Barrett is not a worse QB than Gilbert ). Keep Gary Nova in check and thats an easy W.

I did, just think we'll lose to somebody stupid, happens to us every couple years

Ohio State releases officially statement saying Braxton needs surgery on shoulder again and out the whole season. Braxton said he will return next season, pencil me in for skeptic.

Ohio State releases officially statement saying Braxton needs surgery on shoulder again and out the whole season. Braxton said he will return next season, pencil me in for skeptic.
It's cool if he does come back.

If he doesn't, I certainly won't blame him. I can't imagine anyone would.

If UCF or any other mid-major wants a big boy table invite, they must beat Alabama in a bowl game. Utah beat Bama in 2009, and by 2012 they were in the Pac-12. From what I can see, the only current mid-major to beat Alabama in a bowl game was Rice back in 1954, but I think unlike UCF, Rice is content remaining a mid-major

Enfinit

I just took a look at Florida's schedule. Holy shit, this good be another terrible year. I see them going 8-4 AT BEST, with losses to at least FSU, SC, Bama, and Georgia/LSU...

FUCK YEA.

go noles

Draxal

As a reference, Rutgers graduated 4 players into to the pros last year from the secondary alone and it took a huge hit on them.

OSU graduated a good amount on the line, and while their schedule is kinda weak, MSU didn't take nearly as many hits as they OSU did. Im, OSU is much more equipped to handle the losses they had than Rutgers did last year and they will still be very good, but it's why their fans are being apprehensive right now.

andycapps

I just took a look at Florida's schedule. Holy shit, this good be another terrible year. I see them going 8-4 AT BEST, with losses to at least FSU, SC, Bama, and Georgia/LSU...

FUCK YEA.

go noles

BY6gz1f.gif

If UCF or any other mid-major wants a big boy table invite, they must beat Alabama in a bowl game. Utah beat Bama in 2009, and by 2012 they were in the Pac-12. From what I can see, the only current mid-major to beat Alabama in a bowl game was Rice back in 1954, but I think unlike UCF, Rice is content remaining a mid-major
Doesn't ruining their homecoming count?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It's cool if he does come back.

If he doesn't, I certainly won't blame him. I can't imagine anyone would.

If Barrett comes in and has a good year it would be really tough to come back to school if I were him. Getting injured has hurt his draft stock but coming back after a year off and ending up second string would hurt it even more.

If Barrett comes in and has a good year it would be really tough to come back to school if I were him. Getting injured has hurt his draft stock but coming back after a year off and ending up second string would hurt it even more.

Good point. Braxton probably won't come back if there is any doubt he's the starter. If he's not named the 2015 starter by mid January, or whenever tOSU's 2014 campaign ends, he should declare. It is probably best for tOSU fans to move on at this point, because for Brax to come back they have to hope Barrett has a bad year, and thats counterproductive. I know our 2 GAF tOSU fans have moved on from Brax at least, not sure how long it will take the rest of the fanbase to follow suit.

Watched the ESPN doco about The U last night. Had seen it before but its still the best college football ESPN doco I have seen so far.

If you haven't watched Pony Excess yet, put that on your queue. To me that doc was on par with The U doc.

There's a key difference: ours are on Groupon because those games are against Eastern Washington and Georgia State.

Yours are on Groupon because they're Wazzu games.

Speaking of Eastern Washington and Georgia St.... I like how ESPN is ignoring those teams, even though they will air their games on their network in the coming days. EWU is FCS and plays on the 23rd, GSU is FBS and plays on the 27th, but ESPN says on their ticker that college football season begins on the 28th.

Sotha_Sil

UCF beat Baylor by multiple scores, who beat Oklahoma by multiple scores, who beat Bama by multiple scores. Transitive property, anyone?

cdyhybrid

Speaking of Eastern Washington and Georgia St.... I like how ESPN is ignoring those teams, even though they will air their games on their network in the coming days. EWU is FCS and plays on the 23rd, GSU is FBS and plays on the 27th, but ESPN says on their ticker that college football season begins on the 28th.
Eastern is a powerhouse in FCS too. Doesn't ESPN show their postseason?

If you haven't watched Pony Excess yet, put that on your queue. To me that doc was on par with The U doc.

Yeah I have seen the pony express one. Was good to see the video of Texas sterotypical business men.

My ranking of ESPN CFB docos I have now seen:

1. The U
2. Bo Jackson
3. The Ohio State one with the star player who went off the rails.
4. Pony Express
5. Ole Miss '67 team (more a doco about the civil rights movement)
6. War Eagle / Roll Tide

Eastern is a powerhouse in FCS too. Doesn't ESPN show their postseason?

Yeah the first couple rounds are on ESPN3, but the QF, SF, and Championship game are usually on ESPN2. EWU is the preseason #1 team in FCS despite NDSU being a 3 time defending champion. My only explanation for EWU being ranked ahead of NDSU is due to the fact NDSU's head coach left over the off season to take the head coaching job at FBS powerhouse Wyoming.

I love that you're still following cfb by the way. have you decided to root for a reasonable team yet? ;)

Thanks, haha.

To be fair, I say I follow Ole Miss, but its more that out of the SEC teams, they are my favourite. Dunno why though. I want to see them do well and ride the bandwagon as they improve.

I have gravitated to following the SEC more than any other conference, maybe because that is what is reported on the most on ESPN and the ESPN website. I can name more players and coaches from the SEC than any other conference.

The main reason why I started to follow CFB is because its good for gambling on! The matches are played on Sunday morning, one of the few times I get to watch a heap of tv, and so I like putting money on teams and then watching the games live.

However, I have grown to love the actual spectacle. The crowds, the rivalries and traditions, the fact that every game is like a final for the topped ranked teams as they cant afford to lose a game, the athletes running around (bigger and faster than anything in australian professional sport), the fact that college games dont take forever to watch and the fact that they are only amateurs is also a bonus.

Funny thing is I dont enjoy NFL nearly as much, and only really follow NFL news on CFB players I have seen play, like Manziel.

chicko, you're a sports gambler aren't you?

yeah I like to gamble on sports (very common for Australians, everyone I know has an online account and there are a few gambling syndicates I am in with work mates and others outside of work).

The gambling culture is very different in America from what I have seen on TV and movies. Like illegal bookies are they only way to bet on sports.

College football is good for gambling on, favourites generally win, and the line bets offer good value.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
yeah I like to gamble on sports (very common for Australians, everyone I know has an online account and there are a few gambling syndicates I am in with work mates and others outside of work).

The gambling culture is very different in America from what I have seen on TV and movies. Like illegal bookies are they only way to bet on sports.

College football is good for gambling on, favourites generally win, and the line bets offer good value.

I thought so, you discuss things with that sort of intelligence.

I thought so, you discuss things with that sort of intelligence.

haha, I dont know if that was a compliment or not?

I have kept spreadsheets of my college football gambling over the last two seasons.

In 2012 I was about $100 up. In 2013 I was about $300 down.

The amount of enjoyment is priceless though.

Talon

Are we talking about the running back that toted the rock for the Ohio State Buckeyes Football Team wearing the #13, while enjoying Graeter's every weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom