• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

nfld7Xt.jpg

Oh man, the look of a former football player having his daughter go on a prom date with a football player.

Lonestar said:
Hmm, Eddie Jackson tears his ACL and Blake "Throwing Mechanics" Sims is by far having the best spring at QB.

Are we sure the Sugar Bowl wasn't played over the weekend?

Ya'll don't have any game manager in waiting QB's there now?

cdyhybrid

Ole' Gene's got some guns on him, though. Probably wore those sleeves to show his daughter's date that he could crush his head by flexing :jnc

Since there's no College Baseball topic (because who watches that???), here's a "laugh at Auburn" moment.

Playing Ole Miss, tied in the 13th inning, Auburn is intentionally walking a batter, when this happens:
Ole-Miss-Auburn-IBB-HR-040414.gif

Fails at walking, Batter hits a walk off 3 run home run.

Much Beer was thrown in the stands. Shirts may never be found again.

Video

Pitcher's next stop: Home run derby.

I had it on TBS, TNT and TruTV. One had the Wisconsin announcers, one had the Kentucky announcers and the other had the regular non partisan announcers.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to the homer call. There's nothing in sports I like less than the total tilt toward one team. Homer calls are good for replays of exciting moments, right? Take Auburn/Alabama, listen to the homer calls (both sides) during the field goal return. Good stuff. All game long? Someone kill me.

In pro sports, at least, I'd love it if the practice was just done away with (allowing for some to be "grandfathered" in, like almost literally). There's no need for every team to have it's own play-by-play and color crew. You could cut the TV/radio costs in half just by having one crew call the game for both teams, and further eliminate homer calls by rotating them.

andycapps

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to the homer call. There's nothing in sports I like less than the total tilt toward one team. Homer calls are good for replays of exciting moments, right? Take Auburn/Alabama, listen to the homer calls (both sides) during the field goal return. Good stuff. All game long? Someone kill me.

In pro sports, at least, I'd love it if the practice was just done away with (allowing for some to be "grandfathered" in, like almost literally). There's no need for every team to have it's own play-by-play and color crew. You could cut the TV/radio costs in half just by having one crew call the game for both teams, and further eliminate homer calls by rotating them.

I could not disagree with you more on this.

andycapps

Really? Man, if I could shut down the home team networks tomorrow, I would. They're right up there with Fox News in terms of contemptible echo chambers.

I typically hate listening to national sports coverage because they know almost nothing about the team and they're very dispassionate about it. Just doing play by play and very little actual analysis is done. I think you get a better called game from people that are familiar with the players.

I typically hate listening to national sports coverage because they know almost nothing about the team and they're very dispassionate about it. Just doing play by play and very little actual analysis is done. I think you get a better called game from people that are familiar with the players.

You just get it via insuffereble, rose-tilted lenses. I'd rather have people that know nothing about my team at all, and aren't falling all over themselves trying to ingratiate themselves to me as a fan. And the last thing I want to hear an announcer say is "we."

andycapps

You just get it via insuffereble, rose-tilted lenses. I'd rather have people that know nothing about my team at all, and aren't falling all over themselves trying to ingratiate themselves to me as a fan. And the last thing I want to hear an announcer say is "we."

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I grew up with the opposite in hearing Larry Munson be the most pessimistic bastard ever, week in and week out. He'd make it sound like we were about to lose, even when we were up by 3 touchdowns with less than a minute to go. I think he was the best sports announcer I've ever heard. If anything, I think the "homer" style of calling games is very much in decline (much to my chagrin) and there are only a few old timers left.

The 90's combo that the Braves had with Pete Van Wieren, Skip Caray, Ernie Johnson, and Don Sutton was awesome. As much as I like Jim Powell, he can't pick up the slack from Skip or Pete.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

You don't speak ill of Gene Deckerhoff ever. That man is a saint and a bastion of objectivity.

cdyhybrid

Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP 5m
Missouri says WR Dorial Green-Beckham has been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules.

cashman

Banned
Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP 5m
Missouri says WR Dorial Green-Beckham has been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules.

Texas was one of the finalists for this guy. It's a shame too, because he could have really benefited from having somebody like Strong as a coach.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
First RSJ, now DGB. Good thing KVN graduated else he would have been the next acroym athlete on the to get in some trouble

DJ Polite-Bray has been making some noise this Spring for Tech at WR. I can only hope that his abbreviated first name will help protect him from this curse as his acronym would arguably be 4 letters, not 3.

Jhriad

I haven't had this problem with Husker game day radio thankfully. (Occasionally they'll try to find the silver lining where there is none but that's usually the limit) So long as they're not attempting to suck my dick to keep me placated I'd much rather listen to individuals that are actually knowledgeable about the roster, coaching staff, and have actually watched a considerable amount of tape on both teams on the field. Most "national" crews will gab about the latest ABC show (or other affiliated network), start talking about a different game entirely in the 3rd quarter, or jbe there for simple color commentary. I've started muting most of that garbage (other than BTN). I've got eyes, why the hell do I need Brent Musberger or whoever else to call the play by play?

ag-my001

Even if the homer announcer isn't that great (looking at you, Dave South), it's still nice to have the familiarity. National crews are so generic and will pretty much only pump up the nationally known player when they're far from the star of that particular game. I said it before, but I was smiling to myself watching the Coach Analysis feed of the MNC game. They were circling one guy for making the key block, while in the background you could see the other feed where Brent and Kirk were circling an entirely different guy.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Texas was one of the finalists for this guy. It's a shame too, because he could have really benefited from having somebody like Strong as a coach.
Then he should have gone to Louisville where he'd have had Strong as a coach for 2 years instead of 2 months.

Talon

Wrote something about the hurtles of paying college athletes, looking at how the pros do compensation and also revisiting profitability of college sports. Full disclosure: as I've stated multiple times here, don't think a flat analysis of college athletics as profitable enterprises is particularly useful. There are ancillary benefits that can't really be quantified in dollars and cents - particularly for the non-revenue sports like track.
Even if the homer announcer isn't that great (looking at you, Dave South), it's still nice to have the familiarity. National crews are so generic and will pretty much only pump up the nationally known player when they're far from the star of that particular game. I said it before, but I was smiling to myself watching the Coach Analysis feed of the MNC game. They were circling one guy for making the key block, while in the background you could see the other feed where Brent and Kirk were circling an entirely different guy.
I think we're going to see more localized options going forward. There's no reason to do a LCD broadcast once the barrier is lowered significantly.

andycapps

We're all eager to hear ANY news involving the Goldfinches. Lay it on us.

Doing Sirpopopopopopopop's work for him.

Give Julie Hermann this: She fully understands that the less people know about her, the better off they are. The Rutgers athletic director stood before a journalism class a few weeks ago and declared that it "would be great" if the state's largest newspaper, The Star-Ledger, went ahead and died. A high-profile emissary of a school that goes to great pains to promote itself as education-first was of the opinion that these students ought to be less informed. Less educated, even. But then if you're Julie Hermann, and you've made the mind-boggling mistakes she's made, a less informed audience is maybe the best thing.

The latest misstep from Herman, reported by Star-Ledger columnist Steve Politi on Monday morning, was a spiteful, shameful act for any higher education administrator. But mostly it was stupid. It's stupid to believe that anyone can address a large group of any kind and not have those comments leak out, and it's certainly stupid for someone with Hermann's track record to be careless enough to forget that. So, this is the athletic director at Rutgers, the school that botched the Mike Rice scandal so spectacularly, the school that this summer will move into the Big Ten conference and into the glare of a big-time athletics heat lamp. No one should want Julie Hermann to lose her job, because really, this is going to be far too amusing to miss out on.

More at the link.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's up. If this act was a secret "last straw" I've built up with the mods, and my ban comes, it's been fun guys!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
hey, today is the 16th anniversary of a large E5 Tornado that hit West Birmingham and killed 32 people. I was maybe a 1/4 mile away from it when it passed by (at night). Still the scariest moment of my life. One of those "welp, hello death" moments.

hey, today is the 16th anniversary of a large E5 Tornado that hit West Birmingham and killed 32 people. I was maybe a 1/4 mile away from it when it passed by (at night). Still the scariest moment of my life. One of those "welp, hello death" moments.

If I lived in Tornado alley I wouldn't feel safe unless I had a basement to evacuate in. I've seen the aftermath of F5's, getting to the center of your house only slightly improves your chance of surviving. fuck that.

I was obsessed with the movie Twister as a child. It was almost like a lighthearted horror film to me. I used to have recurring nightmares of tornadoes as a result and every now and then, maybe once a year, i'll have a tornado centered nightmare.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The only team I wouldn't root for in a game against Notre Dame is Oregon. In that case I'd be rooting for a meteor.

But even then you'd hope the meteor hit the Oregon sideline first, just so Notre Dame had a few extra moments of terror to contemplate their fate, right?

cdyhybrid

But even then you'd hope the meteor hit the Oregon sideline first, just so Notre Dame had a few extra moments of terror to contemplate their fate, right?

No, I'd want Oregon to go last.

Actually, wishing for a meteor is too harsh. The players and coaches aren't really the reason I hate them.

Maybe we can just get them both to somehow hire Tyrone Willingham as their head coach (again, in ND's case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom