• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Junior's first recruiting visit is to see Auburn RB commit, Roc Thomas. That should be fun.

Richt and Pruitt are visiting one of their top commits, Lamont Gaillard and trying to make sure he isn't wavering since Wilson left for USC. The kid got Georgia Bulldogs tattoo'd on his forearms last week, which is always a dumb idea, even if it's my school. Just as Nick Marshall.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Junior's first recruiting visit is to see Auburn RB commit, Roc Thomas. That should be fun.

Richt and Pruitt are visiting one of their top commits, Lamont Gaillard and trying to make sure he isn't wavering since Wilson left for USC. The kid got Georgia Bulldogs tattoo'd on his forearms last week, which is always a dumb idea, even if it's my school. Just as Nick Marshall.
Shit, just ask Reuben Foster.

Karakand

BeHs8K8IIAEpY5W.jpg

This just looks weird.

BIG GAME LANE

cdyhybrid

Adam Jude ‏@A_Jude 1m
UW announces it has added sand volleyball as a women's sport starting this spring, joining Arizona, ASU, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC.

Pac-12 is the best.

Adam Jude ‏@A_Jude 1m
UW announces it has added sand volleyball as a women's sport starting this spring, joining Arizona, ASU, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC.

Pac-12 is the best.

Women's sand volleyball is my second favorite college spectator sport after football.

My poor DVR...

I wish the AAC had their own network so I could watch the very talented SMU womens tennis team play.

The girl bottom row 2nd from the left wins her matches just by making eye contact with her opponent like she was Medusa.

Also, it looks like TCU will be the first Big 12 school to get beach volleyball. Sometimes Title IX comes through in a positive way.

Become a season ticket holder. UCLA baseball games are like 50% scouts and 50% gawking women.

I've heard the #1 reason women attend baseball games is to look at the players butts in baseball pants. Without that audience, minor league baseball wouldn't be able to support itself.

Meier

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 21m
FSU sr associate athletic director Monk Bonasorte joins @Frank_Frangie and @Ballou1010xl to discuss Jeremy Pruitt

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 19m
"I respect Rick Ballou, he gets a lot of stories, in fact I've asked him how he gets so many" Bonasorte

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 19m
"Jeremy did meet a young woman when he first got here, but she resigned and they started dating" Bonasorte

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 17m
"Because Rick has the connections, when he says that, people start going on the internet and start speculating" Bonasarte

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 16m
"I'm not trying to prove what is right and wrong, but we're talking about a young ladies livelihood" Bonasarte

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 16m
"I don't believe he did, but if Jeremy did have extra relations, that is his stuff to deal with, but a young lady is the victim" Bonasarte

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 13m
"He wanted to go and rebuild a program's defense at Georgia" Bonasarte

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 10m
"Rumors and speculations without facts, and I don't see facts, are causing the problems in others lives" Bonasarte

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 8m
"Everything that I know, is that there were no other affairs or issues within the athletic department" Bonasorte

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 6m
"I'm just asking that you all don't speculate, and don't harm anyone else's lives" Bonasarte

1010 XL ‏@1010XL 3m
"I know [Pruitt's fiancé] and she would not come out and say he must leave" Bonasarte

Lots of speculation on whether Monk called in independently or if this was a sanctioned interview or what.

What do the Texas folks think of Greg Robinson? He's supposedly in the mix for the Cal defensive coordinator position.

Bigelow cost himself millions by not coming to UW. Sucks for him!
He would've been behind Sankey and he was injury-prone in any case. I can't imagine it would've made much of a difference.

cdyhybrid

What do the Texas folks think of Greg Robinson? He's supposedly in the mix for the Cal defensive coordinator position.

He would've been behind Sankey and he was injury-prone in any case. I can't imagine it would've made much of a difference.

I dunno, Bigelow is pretty talented. I think he could have split time with Sankey if he could've stayed healthy.

He simplifies defensive schemes. Under him, the defensive players rarely looked confused on the line like they did under Diaz. A coordinator that keeps it simple may be just what Cal needs.

He simplifies defensive schemes. Under him, the defensive players rarely looked confused on the line like they did under Diaz. A coordinator that keeps it simple may be just what Cal needs.
Yeah, I could see that working. There was plenty of confusion to go around on Cal's defense last year.
I dunno, Bigelow is pretty talented. I think he could have split time with Sankey if he could've stayed healthy.
Perhaps, though the injuries are what really marred his time here. Aside from that game against Ohio State, he never really got going.

andycapps

Grantham said in his introductory press conference at Louisville today that his defense was the backbone of UGA winning the SEC East in 2011 and 2012. Uh, that has gotten some reactions as most would say they won it in spite of the defense. Mark Shlabach, among others, has castigated Grantham in saying:

Somebody needs to tell Todd Grantham that Mike Bobo's back still hurts from the last three years

Just graduated tight end/starter, Arthur Lynch, who will hopefully have a pro career (and definitely a career as a politician in his home state of Massachusetts) just said:

here here Mark! As a proud alum and FORMER letterman I say this publicly and proudly

Grantham also had some digs in there about UGA's AD and lack of an full size indoor practice facility. Pruitt was the opposite in his introductory press conference. Thanks Jimbo for the opportunity and for the experience and everything. Didn't say anything bad about FSU.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, Alabama won the SEC in 2012 because of UGA's lack of any ability up front to stop the run. Choo Choo, Lacy Train coming through.

andycapps

Yeah, Alabama won the SEC in 2012 because of UGA's lack of any ability up front to stop the run. Choo Choo, Lacy Train coming through.

Don't remind me. I was watching the game being envious of Bama's offensive line and the fact they kept running the plays that were working. While being just as disgusted by all of our future NFL draft picks being completely unable to do much of anything. But yes, we were in that game despite our defense, as our offense was keeping pace with Bama's. Which I suppose says something about Bama's defense as well, haha. To be fair, when our offense is clicking, it was hard to stop with Murray running it.

Lonestar

Don't remind me. I was watching the game being envious of Bama's offensive line and the fact they kept running the plays that were working. While being just as disgusted by all of our future NFL draft picks being completely unable to do much of anything. But yes, we were in that game despite our defense, as our offense was keeping pace with Bama's. Which I suppose says something about Bama's defense as well, haha. To be fair, when our offense is clicking, it was hard to stop with Murray running it.

We've been chasing the high of the 2011 defense, the last 2 years. But it's been on a downward trend since.

andycapps

We've been chasing the high of the 2011 defense, the last 2 years. But it's been on a downward trend since.

Combination of the new HUNH offenses, I think, which is affecting most teams, combined with losing some key players. While the HUNH offenses are causing problems for people, it didn't cause FSU any problems when they played Clemson. Stanford was able to stop Oregon, etc.

I've heard the #1 reason women attend baseball games is to look at the players butts in baseball pants. Without that audience, minor league baseball wouldn't be able to support itself.

Become a season ticket holder. UCLA baseball games are like 50% scouts and 50% gawking women.

I went to one baseball game in college. It was basically scouts, girls checking out players and families/friends of the players. I think I might've been like the only person there just to watch a game of baseball.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Combination of the new HUNH offenses, I think, which is affecting most teams, combined with losing some key players. While the HUNH offenses are causing problems for people, it didn't cause FSU any problems when they played Clemson. Stanford was able to stop Oregon, etc.

FSU against Clemson was a bit of a fluke. We rattled them early and they were off their game for all 60 minutes. That is not how that game goes 9/10. We would winprobably 4/5, but not in that fashion but maybe 10% of the time.

Lonestar

We also are missing a giant NT, and we had 0 NFL CBs playing this year, and only milliner last year. Some of this years CBs performed at Kentucky levels at times.

andycapps

FSU against Clemson was a bit of a fluke. We rattled them early and they were off their game for all 60 minutes. That is not how that game goes 9/10. We would winprobably 4/5, but not in that fashion but maybe 10% of the time.

Fair enough.

We also are missing a giant NT, and we had 0 NFL CBs playing this year, and only milliner last year. Some of this years CBs performed at Kentucky levels at times.
We were missing that giant NT this year too. And our CB's were the worst I can remember in years.

Don't let him be head coach. Other then that, he is fine. If we had decent depth at linebacker and hadn't had Manny fucking Diaz in the off season plus 2 games, we would have had a fantastic defense under him.

Speaking of recruiting, Charlie Strong landed his first Texas commitment today, LB Edwin Freeman. Don't know much about him but he had offers from LSU, USC, tOSU and is in the ESPN300.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of recruiting, Charlie Strong landed his first Texas commitment today, LB Edwin Freeman. Don't know much about him but he had offers from LSU, USC, tOSU and is in the ESPN300.

LB? I was hoping he was going to UT to play safety so you guys would back off of Jah'Shawn Johnson.

bachikarn

And so it begins. We'll need all the help we can get in game 1 this season with a brand new offense.

Spurrer: On playing Georgia the second week of the season… “I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

andycapps

Spurrer: On playing Georgia the second week of the season… “I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

It's true, the way he avoids having the same issue is he just doesn't punish anyone. I guess it's the offseason again so I should repost the drug policies at each school. These are the official policies, some places like Florida, USCe, and Auburn are known to turn a blind eye (Michael Dyer, Janoris Jenkins, Percy Harvin, CFB GAF's favorite player ever Stephen Garcia, etc)

DRUG POLICY SUSPENSION LENGHTS

The minimum required number of games a student-athlete is suspended for each of the 68 automatic-qualifying BCS conference football programs, using next year's conference affiliations, based on a (1) first-positive test for recreational drugs; (2) second-positive test; (3) third-positive test; (4) fourth-positive test and (5) fifth-positive test. Drug policies are obtained through public records requests or from the school's official website.

ACC

Boston College: (1) none; (2) two weeks; (3) one year.

Clemson: (1) none; (2) none; (3) dismissal. Note: Clemson policy indicates athlete must perform 15-30 hours of community service for a first positive and a minimum of 30 hours for a second positive.

Duke: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Florida State: (1) none; (2) unspecified suspension; (3) dismissal. Note: length of suspension for second positive determined by the school's substance abuse committee and "influenced by the length of the season."

Georgia Tech: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

Maryland: (1) none; (2) two weeks; (3) one year.

Miami: (1) one game; (2) two games; (3) dismissal.

North Carolina: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

N.C. State: (1) none; (2) 20 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Virginia: (1) none; (2) suspension determined by head coach; (3) indefinite suspension.

Virginia Tech: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 33 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

Big East

Cincinnati: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 20 percent of games; (3) dismissal

UConn: (1) none; (2) 30-to-60 days; (3) one year; (4) dismissal

Louisville: (1) none; (2) suspension, (3) suspension, (4) one year. Note: length of suspension for second positive determined by coach or athletic director; third suspension must be longer than second suspension.

Pittsburgh: Although a public university, Pittsburgh is not required to respond to public record requests and refused to provide policy.

Rutgers: (1) none: (2) two weeks; (3) one year; (4) dismissal. Note: athlete with a first positive may be suspended up to two weeks at athletic director's discretion.

South Florida: (1) none; (2) 20 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

West Virginia: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of season; (3) dismissal. Note: athlete with a first positive is suspended an indefinite amount of times until they produce a negative test result.

Big Ten

Illinois: (1) none; (2) 1/12th of regular-season games; (3) 1/4th of regular season games; (4) one year.

Indiana: (1) none; (2) one game; (3) dismissal.

Iowa: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Michigan: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) one year.

Michigan State: (1) none; (2) 30 days; (3) one year.

Minnesota: (1) none; (2) 20 percent of games; (3) one year.

Nebraska: (1) none; (2) suspension determined by head coach; (3) dismissal.

Ohio State: (1) none; (2) two weeks; (3) one year.

Penn State: (1) none; (2) seven days; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

Purdue: (1) none; (2) none; (3) 10 percent of games; (4) "may be dismissed" with athletic director making decision.

Wisconsin: (1) none; (2) 30 days; (3) dismissal.

Big 12

Baylor: (1) one game; (2) 10 percent of games plus one game; (3) dismissal.

Iowa State: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games: (3) dismissal.

Kansas: (1) none; (2) whichever is less: two games or 10 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Kansas State: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Missouri: (1) none; (2) seven days; (3) dismissal.

Oklahoma: (1) none; (2) one game; (3) "expulsion from athletic program." Note: Athlete with three positives may be reinstated "upon completion of a qualified drug rehabilitation program."

Oklahoma State: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 50 percent of games; (4) dismissal.

Texas: (1) none; (2) "if suspended, length of suspension determined by athletic director;" (3) dismissal.

TCU: (1) none; (2) "may include at least" one-year suspension; (3) dismissal.

Texas Tech: (1) none; (2) one game; (3) dismissal.

PAC-12

Arizona: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

Arizona State: (1) none; (2) 25 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Cal: (1) none; (2) two weeks; (3) one year.

Colorado: (1) none; (2) 20 percent of games; (3) one year.

Oregon: (1) none; (2) length of suspension, if any, not indicated; (3) dismissal.

Oregon State: (1) none; (2) length of suspension, if any, not indicated; (3) dismissal. Note: Policy says student "may be expelled" for second positive, but doesn't indicate a specific length if suspended.

Utah: (1) none; (2) 25 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

UCLA: (1) none; (2) none; (3) one game; (4) dismissal.

Washington: (1) none; (2) 15 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

Washington State: (1) none; (2) 30 days; (3) one year.

SEC

Alabama: (1) none; (2) 15 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

Arkansas: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 50 percent of games; (4) dismissal.

Auburn: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Florida: For marijuana/synthetic marijuana: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 20 percent of games; (4) dismissal. For all other drugs: (1) 50 percent of games; (2) dismissal.

Georgia: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games [not less than 30 percent of games is the actual policy -- andycapps]; (3) dismissal.

Kentucky: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

LSU: (1) none; (2) "up to 15 percent of games;" (3) one year.

Ole Miss: (1) none; (2) none; (3) three games.

Mississippi State: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

South Carolina: (1) none; (2) 25 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Tennessee: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Texas A&M: (1) none; (2) "possible suspension;" (3) possible dismissal.

Note: Private universities not required to respond to public record requests that would not voluntarily provide drug policy: Notre Dame, Northwestern, USC, Stanford, Syracuse, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest. However, Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald told CBSSports.com his school has a substance abuse policy but did not disclose the specifics.

andycapps

Something tells me nothing is going to happen as a result of this. AJ Green am cry.

A disassociated Alabama booster says there's “nothing to worry about” over a report he has broken NCAA rules by selling memorabilia signed by top Crimson Tide players.

Tom Al-Betar told CBSSports.com on Thursday he obtains memorabilia from fans via the school's fan day and former players who visit his store after graduation.

“I have everything from the former players,” Al-Betar said.

Outkickthecoverage.com reported Al-Betar's new business, T-Town Gallery, is selling, among several items, autographed jerseys of current players T.J. Yeldon and Amari Cooper.

Photos from the Facebook page of Al-Betar's T-Town Menswear business in Tuscaloosa show several pictures of junior safety Vinnie Sunseri signing autographs in the store. The photos were posted Jan. 12. An ESPN report surfaced the same day that Sunseri was declaring for the NFL Draft. The page also includes pictures of senior quarterback A.J. McCarron with girlfriend Katherine Webb.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's true, the way he avoids having the same issue is he just doesn't punish anyone. I guess it's the offseason again so I should repost the drug policies at each school. These are the official policies, some places like Florida, USCe, and Auburn are known to turn a blind eye (Michael Dyer, Janoris Jenkins, Percy Harvin, CFB GAF's favorite player ever Stephen Garcia, etc)

Sounds like you need to update your list of policies, at least for Georgia:
article posted by Lonestar said:
Since then, however, several persons familiar with the situation have told the AJC that Harvey-Clemons had in fact violated UGA’s marijuana-use policy for a second time and therefore had been issued a four-game suspension, as per the athletic association’s student-athlete disciplinary guidelines. Those guidelines call for the offending student-athlete to be suspended for “not less than 30 percent of the season” for a second offense of the marijuana-use policy. In football, that comes to four games, one of which Harvey-Clemons has already served.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom