• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Most of the paid site stuff gets posted on Shaggy anyways. The trick is to avoid the rest of that site.

There's a site that spun off from Rivals' Mainboard called the-mainboard.com as I recall that always posts all the insider stuff from the various places. It's super NSFW though so I haven't been in years.

Obligatory:

AJwFm.png

boomer_medium.PNG

This is exactly my memory of their trip to Morgantown.

ESPN's Top 8 for Playoff Contention

Alabama
Auburn
Florida State
Michigan State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA

By Conference:

SEC - 2
ACC - 1
PAC 12 - 3
BIG 12 - 1
BIG 10 - 1

Tomorrow will be their picks for the 4 playoff spots.

Jhriad

I used to subscribe to the Rivals Husker site but I got tired of a few regulars (HuskerTimOmaha) and their attitude. I seldom posted in the forum but after watching him and a few others brow beat any new or less frequent posters with their bullshit I decided to find an alternative to Rivals. I wasn't interested in supporting a site with a forum that was that poorly moderated. Occasionally I'll go back to compare their recruit rankings with other services but that's about it. I'm not subbing to anything currently but I've been considering 247. Maybe I'll just sub to a magazine like Hail Varsity instead.

On another note, I really need Nebraska to schedule a Home & Home with someone closer to me. Going over 1000 miles just to go to the game is a pain in the ass. Close games that I could drive home from afterwards was one of the best things about being in the Big 12.

Draxal

The Pac President Agenda list was interesting. The only thing I didn't like was the basketball one, as that seemed punitive on the players (and the transfer rules because man that favors the big schools).

http://espn.go.com/college-football...dents-ask-major-conferences-back-ncaa-reforms

- Permit institutions to make scholarship awards up to the full cost of attendance.

- Provide reasonable ongoing medical or insurance assistance for student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury in competition or practice. Continue efforts to reduce the incidence of disabling injury.

- Guarantee scholarships for enough time to complete a bachelor's degree, provided that the student remains in good academic standing.

- Decrease the demands placed on the athlete in-season, correspondingly increase the time available for studies and campus life, by preventing the abuse of organized "voluntary" practices to circumvent the limit of 20 hours per week and more realistically assess the time away from campus and other commitments during the season.

- Similarly decrease time demands out of season by reducing out-of-season competition and practices, and by considering shorter seasons in specific sports.

- Further strengthen the Academic Progress Rate requirements for postseason play.

- Address the "one and done" phenomenon in men's basketball. If the NBA and its Players Association are unable to agree to raising the age limit for players, consider restoring the freshman ineligibility rule in men's basketball.

- Provide student-athletes a meaningful role in governance at the conference and NCAA levels.

- Adjust existing restrictions so that student-athletes preparing for the next stage of their careers are not unnecessarily deprived of the advice and counsel of agents and other competent professionals, but without professionalizing intercollegiate athletics.

- Liberalize the current rules limiting the ability of student-athletes to transfer between institutions.

- Adjust existing restrictions so that student-athletes preparing for the next stage of their careers are not unnecessarily deprived of the advice and counsel of agents and other competent professionals, but without professionalizing intercollegiate athletics.

This one is pretty big if you've been following some recent stuff in Major League Baseball/NCAA baseball.

Confession time. Are any of you guys 9.95ers?

Yes. But I think I'll convert to the year subscription on Rivals. They are running a special right now where you get like a $100 credit in team store gear.

A lot of team gear stuff is like 70% off right now too. At least UCF merch.

andycapps

Former UGA RB and Steelers and Bears RB, Tim Worley, wrote a good article titled NFL Rookie. Done. Now What? Life Skills 101 from an NFL First-Round “Could’ve-Been”

Some snippets:

Now that all the hype is over, it’s time for reality to set in. All the initial guesswork is over because the NFL Draft is over. But the real questions are just beginning. In this post, I will address a few of the many things you rookies can expect to be thrown at you…all at once. I will also advise you on what does – and doesn’t work. Why am I qualified to speak on it? Because I was once where you are now. I was once an NFL rookie with the world in the palm of my hands. I’m also a former first-round draft pick who let it all slip through my fingers.

The first thing you’re going to notice is all the attention you’re getting. People are coming out of the woodwork. As crazy as it was in college, it’s officially about to kick up several notches.

There’s two ways you can process it all. You can be humble and surround yourself with trusted people who have already experienced what you’re about to experience. Or, you can decide it’s time to party. That’s what I decided twenty-five years ago. I had no idea what that decision would mean to me, to my new employer, to my teammates and to the people in my life who care about me. I didn’t understand the position of favor and influence I had. I was immature and insecure.

One thing every NFL rookie has in common is what I call “The Vulture Culture.” You already have and, at several times in your career, you will continue to experience people who want to be attached to you simply because football is affiliated with your name. I know you think you already know this, but you really don’t know how intense “The Vulture Culture” can get.

For me, it started in high school. On that level, people would do favors for me because they saw my athletic talent and they thought they could “get in early” on possibly cashing in later. During college, “The Vulture Culture” went to another level. It looked like this: hundreds of thousands of fans – not just at my university, but throughout the country. My popular name became a breeding ground for people making me offers I found it difficult to refuse. It also meant that the people who recognized my name had access to things they wouldn’t normally have access to. Angles are common in a successful athletes’ world.

Once I was drafted by the Steelers as the seventh pick in the first round, all of a sudden, I had an entire city of people (a city I had never set foot in) who “love” me. Everyone wanted a piece. You know the old saying, “Men want to be you; women want to be with you.” It was that times a million.

The people within “The Vulture Culture” in my life were very aware of what being a first-round pick meant. Before I started picking up the tab everywhere (a potential pitfall for NFL rookies), the tab was picked up for me everywhere. In the beginning, I couldn’t pay for anything. Everyone was more than happy to comp me whatever I wanted – including my agent who definitely had an ulterior motive. I’m not saying all agents do; I’m saying mine did. People were making their own predictions about my future, and they wanted in on it.

But there was a catch.

After a short time of being the recipient of favors from “friends,” those same people waited for their opportunity to hit me up to fund their dreams, goals and professional aspirations. They called it “investing.” My agent at the time even talked me into “investing” $100,000 to recruit more athletes to sign with him, with the promise that I’d get a triple return on my “investment.” I never saw a penny back of my original “investment,” and I definitely never saw a return on it.

Once I was getting paid handsomely to perform (with the ultimate goal being to help my employer win Superbowl championships), I couldn’t stop wondering what they were thinking. I became preoccupied with the organization’s acceptance of me. I knew they were counting on me to deliver a big return on their investment in me and, rather than humbling myself and making myself teachable, I tried to win their favor by showing them I’d “arrived.” I bought stuff. Lots of stuff. I was more concerned with what I drove to practice than I was about how I performed in practice. I turned to my newly acquired money (which was their investment in my future) to comfort me, rather than turning to my coaches and the front office to mentor me. Big mistake.

Being an NFL rookie, your first responsibility is to acknowledge what you’re in that new city for: you’re there to compete at the highest level for your employer. Your first responsibility is to your new employer. Distractions from family, friends, new people pulling at you, charities, your representation and women will all tempt you to lose focus. The word “No” needs to become your new best friend. For me, that word is one of the most freeing words I say. I didn’t know about the word “No” when I was an NFL rookie. Not knowing about that word cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars, my integrity, my freedom, my job and ultimately almost cost me my life.

andycapps

Former UGA CB, Shaq Wiggins, is also joining Grantham at Louisville. Most people figured this would happen.

Ja'Quay Williams is also joining Louisville. Are they trying to be the new Auburn?

Good news, everyone!

Bill Simmons put up some stupid piece about basketball where he asked himself fake questions about the NBA. Who gives a shit, right?

WRONG!

Most important news you have heard all day! They are making "The U 2"! Aw yeah! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MapmxTJ6mvg

It was a great 30 for 30, but how can a documentary that covers the same period of events have a sequel?
Additionally, have we already run out of original sports story's they can do a documentary over? Hard to believe considering the series has only produced roughly 50 documentaries to date.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It was a great 30 for 30, but how can a documentary that covers the same period of events have a sequel?
Additionally, have we already run out of original sports story's they can do a documentary over? Hard to believe considering the series has only produced roughly 50 documentaries to date.

If you count ESPN Films Presents, which were basically 30 for 30s in everything but name, then there have been 61, plus 20 shorts and 8 more soccer-specific episodes for a total of around 89 productions. The U was #9, 4 and a half years ago.

80 productions since then and it's still the elephant in the room when people talk about the series. If they're doing a sequel I would guess it's because they're just trying to hit up a cash cow.

If you count ESPN Films Presents, which were basically 30 for 30s in everything but name, then there have been 61, plus 20 shorts and 8 more soccer-specific episodes for a total of around 89 productions. The U was #9, 4 and a half years ago.

80 productions since then and it's still the elephant in the room when people talk about the series. If they're doing a sequel I would guess it's because they're just trying to hit up a cash cow.

The "U" documentary seemed to elevate the 30 for 30 brand to what it is today. I remember social media being abuzz when that documentary aired. Now the 30 for 30 brand is so strong, that they kept the namesake even though its no longer about producing 30 documentaries with 30 directors/producers?

andycapps

ESPN spamming something because it's a cash/ratings cow? You don't say.

That said, I love their 30 for 30 programs.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So what can you do? Report him to the bar, or sue him until he can't afford to file anymore?
He's not an attorney, and anyone is free to file a lawsuit, so reporting him to the bar would be worthless.

Both named parties have a case for defamation against him. Whether or not he has assets to make it worthwhile is another story. The court can also hit him with penalties under Rule 11, though I have no idea if he'd be able to pay those as well.

andycapps

Was that yours? I think that's a common sentiment on articles like this.
Probably so. Though recruits could be drawn to the rich, winning tradition at the University of Ole Miss. I was kidding anyway. I can't claim accusing Ole Miss of cheating as an original joke.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Taking a page out of Hugh Freeze's book, I see.

Speaking of, did you see this q&a with Kendarius Webster on the AJC recruiting blog?

What were some negative things specifically said about Ole Miss? “That they’re racist and why would you ever want to go there. It was just crazy things like that.”

Did Freeze ever counter the negative recruiting from other schools? “Not really, because I knew negative recruiting was just part of the business. At one point in time, though, Coach Freeze had a conversation with Coach Richt at the end of the recruiting process. I’m not going to say Coach Freeze got mad, but they had a conversation. I’m not sure exactly what they talked about it, but I heard it had to do more with Laremy Tunsil. He had switched from Georgia to Ole Miss (the year before).”

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014...nd-mark-richt-was-hardest-coach-to-turn-down/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom