• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

jbook™ ‏@jbook37

Clarett said ESPN 1st approached him about doing a bash Ohio State film before he did the 30 for 30. He told them to get lost.

Interesting, really don't like that the networks have too much influence on this stuff right now (Fox being pro BIG, and ESPN being SECSECSEC).

andycapps

jbook™ ‏@jbook37

Clarett said ESPN 1st approached him about doing a bash Ohio State film before he did the 30 for 30. He told them to get lost.

Interesting, really don't like that the networks have too much influence on this stuff right now (Fox being pro BIG, and ESPN being SECSECSEC).
I don't really see how that ties into the ESPNSEC thing. Clarett got into some shit at tOSU and they wanted an expose style thing. Not too surprising for a media outlet to want to do that.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting chart showing average heights and weights of professional players in the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL -
ftOaEsO.png
Source of chart is here, not sure where he gets the actual info. Probably just looks at rosters, I'd guess.

andycapps

Interesting chart showing average heights and weights of professional players in the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL -

Source of chart is here, not sure where he gets the actual info. Probably just looks at rosters, I'd guess.

Cool chart. He's telling us what we already know, the NFL is very diverse regarding height and weight.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sure, why not.

Now to something that factually happened: Parker McLeod transferring out of Alabama.

One less QB on the roster!

Sure, why not.

Now to something that factually happened: Parker McLeod transferring out of Alabama.

One less QB on the roster!

What the twitter verse is saying, or at least Bama didnt want a home/home only would do neutral. Conflicting reports if it was home vs neutral or just a neutral.

Lonestar

I'm more believing in the thought that Alabama wanted to go from a 2 year home and home, to a 1 year neutral game, to either give more variety in opponents or to keep from scheduling a dud and getting stuck with another game against that dud (see Penn State a few years ago).

Our recent OOC games look nice on name, but they've mostly ended up having crummy years:
2008 Clemson 7-6 - started #9
2009 VT 10-3 (not bad) - started #7
2010 Penn State 7-6 (now 0-6) - started #18
2011 Penn State 9-4 (now 0-4) - started #23
2012 Michigan 8-5 - Started #8
2013 VT 8-5 - started unranked

Now we've got WVU this year, who a couple years ago was a solid team under a hot coach, and now that's changed (7-6 and 4-8 last 2 years). But hey, they're a high powered offense, I'm sure they'll win.

Think next year is Wisconsin, and then 2016 is the rumored USCw matchup (filling in for said Michigan State game.)

I'm more believing in the thought that Alabama wanted to go from a 2 year home and home, to a 1 year neutral game, to either give more variety in opponents or to keep from scheduling a dud and getting stuck with another game against that dud (see Penn State a few years ago).

Our recent OOC games look nice on name, but they've mostly ended up having crummy years:
2008 Clemson 7-6 - started #9
2009 VT 10-3 (not bad) - started #7
2010 Penn State 7-6 (now 0-6) - started #18
2011 Penn State 9-4 (now 0-4) - started #23
2012 Michigan 8-5 - Started #8
2013 VT 8-5 - started unranked

Now we've got WVU this year, who a couple years ago was a solid team under a hot coach, and now that's changed (7-6 and 4-8 last 2 years). But hey, they're a high powered offense, I'm sure they'll win.

Think next year is Wisconsin, and then 2016 is the rumored USCw matchup (filling in for said Michigan State game.)

Could be the case. Im not a fan at all of neutral games, leave the lackluster atmospheres to the NFL where it belongs. Always been a fan of the home and home, gives me a reason to go see a game at another big time school. Going to Austin for the OSU UT game was super awesome. I dont think I would want to go to Dallas or the likes for a game though.

cdyhybrid

Could be the case. Im not a fan at all of neutral games, leave the lackluster atmospheres to the NFL where it belongs. Always been a fan of the home and home, gives me a reason to go see a game at another big time school. Going to Austin for the OSU UT game was super awesome. I dont think I would want to go to Dallas or the likes for a game though.

Agreed, home and home is the best.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Maybe in y'alls mind, but everyone outside the SEC knows USC is in Southern California, and UT is in Texas
Don't try to tag along on USC's little wagon. UT was, is, and always will be the University of Tampa.
From the horse's mouth:
Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerCBS
Saban talked at length about difficulty scheduling OOC games, so I asked about Mich St, which wanted to play Bama but games cancelled...
Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerCBS
Saban said he'll play them but when/where complicated - Mich St doesn't want to play neutral site, he says
Seems like we wanted to go from a home and home to one neutral-site game.

Don't try to tag along on USC's little wagon. UT was, is, and always will be the University of Tampa.

From the horse's mouth:

I'm pretty sure Tampa is a for profit university. I'll still occasionally get spam mail from them.

From the horse's mouth:

Seeing some official stuff from Msu people now, bama would only play neutral game in "southern cities" namely only Atlanta or Dallas.

Lonestar

Besides California and Bowl games, not seeing alot of games below the Mason Dixon line for ND.

Last time OSUn went below is the last time Alabama went above.

SURPRISE! Teams like to stay in their region.

If Chicago had a domed stadium, I'd bet it be a big spot like Atlanta. Massive airport hub and all.

Apparently Indianapolis is so horrible, it's never brought up as a neutral site game.

cdyhybrid

Besides California and Bowl games, not seeing alot of games below the Mason Dixon line for ND.

If Chicago had a domed stadium, I'd bet it be a big spot like Atlanta. Massive airport hub and all.

Apparently Indianapolis is so horrible, it's never brought up as a neutral site game.

My guess is that Indy just isn't a college football city. They've hosted the Super Bowl, so it's not like they don't have the facilities.

My guess is that Indy just isn't a college football city. They've hosted the Super Bowl, so it's not like they don't have the facilities.

The area surrounding Lucas oil is pretty great, although when we went to b1g champ all the bars were severely understaffed, don't think they expected such crowds. But downtown Indy is pretty good for a football Saturday. Still don't want neutral site games

Strangely enough we are playing a neutral site game at Lucas Oil next year...along with games in Tallahassee, Tempe, and Los Angeles. Calling ND's schedule "regional" compared to most SEC schools is laughable. Especially in 2015 once the ACC games really start to happen.

andycapps

Non-FSU ACC team? Pffffft.
If we scheduled them, they'd probably suck again by the time we got around to playing them. Notre Dame is always overrated but it'll still be a great game and a matchup I'd love to see.

McGarity did say there are two other big schools on the east coast on standby if this falls through.

Draxal

Or the CEO of ESPNSEC KNOWWHATIMSAYING

Nah, Skipper would be wearing carolina blue! The conferences are segmenting between the big sports channels though, and its kinda intriguing to watch.

I mean fox did break up the big east, after Louisville left. Its not just Espn's hands who are dirty.

andycapps

And, let's be honest, what true college football fan doesn't own that belt.

I kind of want one, just so I can get a sharpie and cross out everything but the power G.

Draxal said:
Nah, Skipper would be wearing carolina blue! The conferences are segmenting between the big sports channels though, and its kinda intriguing to watch.

I guess so, the sport is just changing so much. Big media is bringing in so much money to the conferences, schools are spending crazy amounts of money to keep up with each other, recruiting is a 365/24/7 business now, it's just crazy. The sport has changed so much in the last twenty years.

Draxal

I
I guess so, the sport is just changing so much. Big media is bringing in so much money to the conferences, schools are spending crazy amounts of money to keep up with each other, recruiting is a 365/24/7 business now, it's just crazy. The sport has changed so much in the last twenty years.

Try last four years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...conference-tax-return-revenue-record/9497233/

The Pac-12 reported $334 million in total revenue for a fiscal year ending June 30, 2013, the first that reflects the conference's 12-year, $3 billion TV rights deals with ESPN and Fox; the debut of the wholly conference-owned Pac-12 Networks; and operations of the conference's nascent marketing and media arm, Pac-12 Enterprises.

That total represents a $158.1 million increase in revenue over what the conference reported for the 2011-12 fiscal year and a more than tripling of the $111.8 million that the Pac-12 reported for 2010-11.

Part of this was the Pac 10 was undervalued, but a good amount of this is due to Larry Scott. He's earning his keep.

andycapps

Try last four years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...conference-tax-return-revenue-record/9497233/

Part of this was the Pac 10 was undervalued, but a good amount of this is due to Larry Scott. He's earning his keep.

True, SEC has seen similar growth in revenues. I'm assuming that with the new SEC channel that the revenues are going to keep growing.

SEC Money During BCS Title Streak
Year Total Revenue Avg. Payout to Schools
2012-13 $314.5 million $20.8 million
2011-12 $271.8 million $20.4 million
2010-11 $261.1 million $19.5 million
2009-10 $244.4 million $18.3 million
2008-09 $148.0 million $13.1 million
2007-08 $161.6 million $11.3 million
2006-07 $149.2 million $11.0 million

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Where it really counts is on the PGA tour. Ex-UGA golfers are tearing it up this year.
That's like saying where it really counts is in the NFL...

But I understand why a Georgia fan would want to de-emphasize college-level performances. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom