• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently WR Derreck Edwards has left the Texas Tech football team. Not sure why at this point. Great talent, but been a career backup.

I only bother to mention it here because he was the guy Kingsbury had the dance-off with in this video from a couple of months back.

So it's like being a Cal Bear fan?

Cal is apparently good at something called Rugby. I found this out because I was flipping channels out of boredom the other weekend and Northwestern was playing some school I had never heard of for third place in the NCAA in Rugby and Cal was apparently in the championship.

Oh.....

MY......

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDD......

BpffKYcCIAELimh.jpg

Draxal

Rutgers athletics has just been one hit after the other lately with zero bright spots. It's like being a Cal Bear fan without having at least one sport to hang your hat on.

Honestly, I don't give a shit about any of that garbage.

2 things I gave a shit about right now.

1. The pure beatdown that Franklin is doing to Flood right now, he's just tearing him apart.
2. Sweeney is a complete douchebag, who makes Fatso look good (seriously Sweeney is one ugly mofo).

Enfinit

Yeah, it's I guess some sort of Commie Euro version of football? So it makes sense Cal would be good at it.

Cal has a phenomenal rugby team, however Cal Poly has been the dominant California team the past couple seasons, save for this past one. I think Cal went undefeated and finished as the overall #4. UCLA, Penn State, BYU, and UCF all have great rugby programs as far as typical D1 football schools go, however rugby programs are usually reserved for smaller schools that don't offer football (Life, St. Mary's, etc.). I play for FSU (we're DII), and we played UCF twice this season and split 'em 1-1.

I'm proud to announce that I might be the only rugby player in CFBGAF. COME AT ME.

Yeah. Of course the NCAA would say that still compromises amateur status. Why not allow players to sign licensing and endorsement deals, but every cent earned is put into a separate bank account that can't be withdrawn from until after the athlete leaves college.
I'm not even sure that is necessary. If an athlete is good enough to warrant someone wanting them for licensing, let them. Just like any student can do on the academic side. That's the ultimate "free market" excuse and likely absolves the school or NCAA from "holding the man down."

I think this is fair...I could also see there being some loophole that could be allowed like you can sign endorsement deals as long as they don't mention you as a football player or if the product is not related in some way to football even if it's *wink wink* acknowledging it...like Lebron in McDonalds commercials.
I think as long as the athlete does not state their school or conference or anything. Just like you see with NFL athletes with companies that do not license the NFL. "Hey, I'm Cam Newton, pro football player..." It could just as easily be "Hey, I'm Job Blow, college football player..."

NCAA, conference and schools can just say, "well we're not holding these students down. The market bears their worth through licensing opportunities. Us providing full educational expenses plus certain stipends is all we promised!"

Instead of them being charged with preventing students from earning money or opportunities the market think they are worth. And now ending up with lawsuits everywhere.

Edit: On rugby, I think UCF is a club team still. I doubt they will ever get into the NCAA ranks due to funding issues and having to then add more womens sports. They are damn good, though.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Tech 2014 QB signee Patrick Mahomes wasn't taken in the first few rounds of the MLB draft this weekend, meaning he's moving to Lubbock for sure. We may actually have two scholarship quarterbacks on campus this fall!

cdyhybrid

The message is a bit funny, but I actually applaud that offer.

Flexibility in buying tickets would be greatly appreciated, like you could buy tickets for X number of games and get Y discount, with Y increasing as X does.

More options than single-game-only or whole-season-only.

Mini packs are pretty common I think. But its kind of weird promoting them from the perspective of going to less games.

And really weird considering Miami's clear track record of shit fan support at games.

Tamanon

Banned
Really odd to advertise mini-packs of only the FSU/NC games. Guess their season ticket sales are really lagging and want to at least sell out the ones that'll be on TV.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Call him Maize. Or Blue. Or Bo. Or Schembechler. Or Schem. Or Bechler. Or Desmond. Or Woodson. Or Denard.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I can barely believe Tech is in the College World Series. The Year of Suck was only 2 years ago but it feels like forever after all the positive ground we've gained in 2013-14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom