• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
I can barely believe Tech is in the College World Series. The Year of Suck was only 2 years ago but it feels like forever after all the positive ground we've gained in 2013-14.

I can't believe Texas made it as well. They didn't win a single series in conference last year, and now they're one of the last 8 standing.

College baseball is so weird

The defense is usually completely awful, I can hardly stand watching myself.

Not that we have much to talk about, but I figure this side will be dead shortly.

The big conferences will announce their split with the NCAA in regards to profit sports, killing the NCAA basketball tournament, and start paying players.

Also, Notre Dame and Oklahoma will both be nuked by Russia. We will give the Congressional Gold Medal to Putin for the actions.

KingGondo

Banned
Big 12 did well.

Except Oklahoma State. At least TCU is going to game 3. Oklahoma State got swept!
Yeah, we had some really bad luck in the Super Regional.

UC Irvine was able to save their best arm until Saturday night and we made tons of errors on Friday to more or less give them the game.

Disappointing considering the season we had, but I think we're in damn good shape for years to come. Holliday did a nice job this season, there's a new stadium in the works, and we're recruiting really well too.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparent Baylor fan thrown out of Tech baseball game over the weekend for throwing water on people and telling them they'd be "Baptized by Art Briles."

Bpo5KnUCIAEWZGS.jpg

I say "apparent" because some people that were their have said it seems like he was just acting crazy, like a guy off his meds. They call him a Baylor fan in the article but AFAIK there's no actual evidence for it.

Baseball in the B1G is almost as foreign as hockey in the Big 12. Almost, but not quite.

Hey! we had a guy throw a perfect game a couple years ago!

I think the weird thing is how stupid the scores yet because they use metal bats. If they used wood bats I would get into it, but no thanks.

Tink!

I think the weird thing is how stupid the scores yet because they use metal bats. If they used wood bats I would get into it, but no thanks.

Tink!

I don't know why they don't switch to the lumber. A few years ago they reduced the power of the metal bats to protect pitchers and infielders from screaming line drives. Players can probably hit with as much power with wooden bats as they can with metal ones now.

Tink!

Too expensive. Wooden bats are cheaper, but break all the damn time, especially against high level pitching.

Pac 12 hates night games so much, they are opening up an 11am Pacific kickoff time for TV purposes to begin phasing out 7-7:30pm kickoffs.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/06/pac-12_opens_11_am_television.html

How is 7pm that bad? I'd love it if all UCF games kicked off that time on Saturdays. Fuck noon or..... morning games.

They might like it if east coast sportswriters actually watched the games.

Bingo.

AntoneM

OOC games in Arizona in September are about to get much more interesting. The Average high is still 98 degrees (and that is measured in the shade)

andycapps

Yep. USC can finally start recruiting full classes again. Will take them a few seasons to get back to 85.

Did you see what Pete Carroll said the other day about how if he knew that NCAA sanctions and investigations were coming he would have stayed there essentially to help resolve the issues that occurred on his watch. Yeah okay Pete.

Subitai

Yeah. Of course the NCAA would say that still compromises amateur status. Why not allow players to sign licensing and endorsement deals, but every cent earned is put into a separate bank account that can't be withdrawn from until after the athlete leaves college.
Even though there it opens all kinds of loopholes, it is the best option for helping to preserve the non-revenue producing sports. Imagine if Michael Phelps could have competed for Michigan in swimming itstead of just being a glorified coach while he was attending because he had already taken millions in endorsements from Speedo.

cdyhybrid

Did you see what Pete Carroll said the other day about how if he knew that NCAA sanctions and investigations were coming he would have stayed there essentially to help resolve the issues that occurred on his watch. Yeah okay Pete.

We'll probably never know either way. I mean, it's not like leaving USC for an NFL job working for the richest owner in the league is a step down.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, I like that format better too.

Was hoping Dartwan Bush (Tech) would find a home, but I guess GM's felt his ability didn't make up for being undersized. Also, he unfortunately pulled his hamstring on Pro Day, which added to his red flags of being injury riddled. At least it sounds like he got his degree

Quoted from a few weeks ago. I mentioned then that Dartwan had a workout for the Cowboys, but nothing ever came of it.

Nothing until today, anyway, when he signed a 3 year contract.

Oliver Luck opened his mouth again. Basically stated if the Big XII would have collapsed, they would have joined with Big East schools. Plan included UCF.... Basketball schools liked it too because they would have got some big bb programs too. Like Kansas.

RIP MDC

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
@McMurphyESPN: Joker Phillips forced to resign by Will Muschamp because of possible NCAA recruiting violations source told @espn

Interdashing.

Chris Leak takes over as WR coach

@CecilHurt: Chris Leak will coach Florida's receivers until they reach the 5-yard line, then Tebow will take over.

Draxal

Oliver Luck opened his mouth again. Basically stated if the Big XII would have collapsed, they would have joined with Big East schools. Plan included UCF.... Basketball schools liked it too because they would have got some big bb programs too. Like Kansas.

RIP MDC

It didn't include ucf. It was USF.

It didn't include ucf. It was USF.
It was USF and UCF.
So Big East schools... and UCF. Just like UCF was included originally as part of the BE TV discussions after TCU was added. Before USF helped convince schools to push Nova to FBS and keep UCF out. Pissing off schools with competent football programs wanting to bring in somewhat competent programs.

andycapps

There were rumors about Joker committing violations and that's the reason he left but I think the guy at ESPN that started them has retracted them and apologized.

Saw this chart, last time each SEC team played a team from a "power conference" in the regular season:

Bp7lh7TCQAQVSxe.jpg

I would like to see one of these for every conference.

andycapps

I wish ESPN could be held to the shit they spew

True, honestly, it reminded me of what happened on the gaming side regarding The Last Guardian supposedly being canceled and IGN rushing to break the story before they had multiple sources.

Media as a whole is held up by how many hits they get, which are directly impacted by if they're first to report on a story or not. They're so thirsty for hits that they slack off on fact checking before they publish.

I think they just retracted he was fired rather than him resigning. The possible violation stuff is still there.

Oh, I only read the tweet once but I read it like they were retracting the whole story. Whether someone was fired for committing NCAA violations or whether they stepped down due to committing NCAA violations doesn't really mean much to me.

That they promoted Chris Leak to WR coach is just great. :jnc

The answers to this questions made me sad:

Who is your favorite college football player of all-time?
FIVE-WAY TIE: Johnny Manziel, DeAnthony Thomas, Herschel Walker, Teddy Bridgewater and Marcus Mariota

Lonestar

The answers to this questions made me sad:

Who is your favorite college football player of all-time?
FIVE-WAY TIE: Johnny Manziel, DeAnthony Thomas, Herschel Walker, Teddy Bridgewater and Marcus Mariota

Thats a horrible list. That's more of a "last 2 years" list than anything.

Talon

I know bucky's favorite player is...
OHIO STATE RUNNING BACK NUMBER THIRTEEN WHO PLAYS THE TAILBACK POSITION TOTING THE ROCK MAURICE CLARRETT WHO PLAYED FOR THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES CARRYING THE BALL OVER DEFENDERS WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE HORSESHOE FOR THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES WEARING THE NUMBER THIRTEEN.

Lonestar

just realizing the stupidity of football players. Oregon with the best uniform? Which one, they've had 200.

Then they are overwhelmingly Xbox Fans. Just cements it.

Draxal

just realizing the stupidity of football players. Oregon with the best uniform? Which one, they've had 200.

Then they are overwhelmingly Xbox Fans. Just cements it.

Top two is Oregon and Maryland. Its just nope nope nope nope.

I'm just amazed they managed to list Herschel Walker in that list of five top collegiate players of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom