• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Looks like the OBC is about to tear the SCAR admissions office a new one. 8 out of 21 signees haven't qualified to enroll in classes yet.
No offense to SCAR, but I doubt this is a case where SCAR admission standards are unobtainably high. Steve should try not to recruit so many academically borderline kids.
Let me know when those awards mean something.
Depends upon your definition of "means something." We're talking about recruiting, so positive news directed towards a program, even if it is from a recruit winning an award like this, can only help.

andycapps

No offense to SCAR, but I doubt this is a case where SCAR admission standards are unobtainably high. Steve should try not to recruit so many academically borderline kids.

I completely agree. When that many are having trouble qualifying, you're taking too many chances. You should have one or two that are borderline that you hope qualify and you send to JUCO if they don't. but over 1/3 of your signing class? You've got evaluation problems.

Depends upon your definition of "means something." We're talking about recruiting, so positive news directed towards a program, even if it is from a recruit winning an award like this, can only help.

Right, the only way it can hurt is if the kids have a sense of entitlement when they come to school and feel like they don't have to outwork the other 4-5 stars that came in in previous recruiting classes and are bigger and stronger and know the playbook better.

But yeah, more stars and accolades does usually translate to better players at the college level. There are exceptions with low rated guys doing well, but the odds are much higher of a highly rated guy panning out than a low rated guy being a superstar.

@DBriggsBlade 4m
Bizarre announcement by Jerome Baker. After committing to Florida over OSU, Baker, his parents, and high school coach all decline comment.

4 star guys out of Cleveland.

Draxal

I completely agree. When that many are having trouble qualifying, you're taking too many chances. You should have one or two that are borderline that you hope qualify and you send to Prep School if they don't. but over 1/3 of your signing class? You've got evaluation problems.

Fixed it for ya.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Apparently, the Ohio Blackhole effect is strong enough to pull people in from anywhere in the Continental United States.

1403125201997.gif

High Five Bert!

andycapps

Bert, post if you're still alive. I was in a barbershop getting a haircut on lunch and they had on Cleveland sports radio and the guy was almost crying reading Lebron's letter. :jnc

Lonestar

This might be what it would feel like, if Saban did leave for Texas or *gasp* LSU.

If Miami fans actually gave a shit about sports, I'm sure they'd be suicidal.

Lonestar

yeah, but I think his college was Kent State.

Him going back to WVU wouldn't be too much different than Lebron going back to High School. Stupid, and doesn't really mean anything in comparison to Big Boy football.

Now, save this post for the occasion that Alabama loses to WVU in September.

andycapps

This might be what it would feel like, if Saban did leave for Texas or *gasp* LSU.

If Miami fans actually gave a shit about sports, I'm sure they'd be suicidal.

There are no sports fans in Miami, much less people actually born in Miami. If they were Lebron fans, they'll just buy a new jersey now.

andycapps

Good article on the Paul Oliver Network that Coach Richt set up. Paul Oliver is a former UGA player and had a career in the NFL and committed suicide last year.

The network bearing his name aims to help former players continue education or with steering them towards a job they're qualified for. That's my description anyway.

The phone rang as Mark Richt was wrapping up work, preparing for the biggest game of the year. Richt answered, and quickly realized his night was far from over.

Already that week something tragic had happened to one of Richt’s former players. Now another was calling, telling Richt he was depressed and contemplating the end.

“Where in the hell are you?” Richt asked.

The player, whose identity Georgia’s football head coach did not want to divulge, happened to be in Athens.

“You know where my house is?” Richt asked.

The player said he did.

“Be there in 20 minutes,” Richt said.

Richt hastily called a few staffers, and they raced to his house and met the player. They talked deep into the night, then put him in touch with someone who could help.

Two days later, ninth-ranked Georgia beat sixth-ranked LSU. In the locker room afterwards, Richt sobbed.

A few months later, Richt sat in the football coaches meeting room, in what they call the war room. This time it was not coaches at the table but businessmen. They would form a secret and select group that would be aimed at giving former players a life after football, a direction after the original dream ended.

It would be called the Paul Oliver Network, after the former defensive back who shot himself in front of his family the previous September, distraught about the end of his career.

A person with knowledge of the meeting remembers Richt tearing up again, pounding the table and saying, “I don’t want this to happen to another one of my boys.”

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think I am less excited for this season than last because we won the MNC. No place to go but down.

I guess as long as Florida is terrible the season won't be too bad.

mre

andycapps

Richt is a great person. I'm just shocked UGA didn't have something like this set up already.
It was informal like Richt said and usually consisted of players reaching out to him for help, but sometimes they don't ask for help, like Paul Oliver. You never know what guys are going through.

This is going to have yearly meetings for former players to get together explicitly for the purpose of networking and that sort of thing. They can also contact them throughout the year for info on continuing education and such.

One thing that I think is good about how they're doing it is that the businessmen involved have to remain anonymous because they don't want people getting involved for free publicity. I wish they'd done this sooner and I know Richt does too.

Looks like Bama DT, Jarran Reed, had a little too much fun last night and got a DUI. Has Saban lost control? Kenyan Drake and now this? :jnc

New ESPN Ad talking about the playoff system is actually pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayN6tB9uJec&feature=youtu.be

I'm still skeptical about this 13 person committee. As much stigma as "polls" contain these days, they do a good job ranking teams after 10+ games have been played. This committee could theoretically circumvent what the polls indicate, and just pick their favorite teams. Because 4 teams get in instead of 2, I think the 2 best teams in the country will definitely get in the playoff even with the committee doing the selection. #'s 3 and 4 could be another story. We could have the 6th or 7th ranked AP team make the playoff if committee finds them pretty enough.

mre

I'm still skeptical about this 13 person committee. As much stigma as "polls" contain these days, they do a good job ranking teams after 10+ games have been played. This committee could theoretically circumvent what the polls indicate, and just pick their favorite teams. Because 4 teams get in instead of 2, I think the 2 best teams in the country will definitely get in the playoff even with the committee doing the selection. #'s 3 and 4 could be another story. We could have the 6th or 7th ranked AP team make the playoff if committee finds them pretty enough.
I'm with you 100%. There has been a log of controversy in the past regarding the top 2 teams, but I think if you extend this out to 4 teams and look back retroactively, there will be few if any years where there's a strong argument that the BCS got it wrong.

AP #1, #2, #6, and Notre Dame.

If polls made up of 100s of people whose job it is to watch and follow college football (and yet fail to do so) can't properly pick the two best teams in the country what hope does a panel of 13 people who will likely follow the sport even less intensely?

If polls made up of 100s of people whose job it is to watch and follow college football (and yet fail to do so) can't properly pick the two best teams in the country what hope does a panel of 13 people who will likely follow the sport even less intensely?

I don't like the committee either. Condy Rice? jeez, I hope she watches more than just her favorite teams but I doubt it and she's like 7% of the selection committee (not meaning to single her out). I have a feeling this committee will prove to be a disaster, and hopefully next year we keep the playoff, but just let the AP decide the top 4 that move on to the semi finals.

Talon

I don't like the committee either. Condy Rice? jeez, I hope she watches more than just her favorite teams but I doubt it and she's like 7% of the selection committee (not meaning to single her out). I have a feeling this committee will prove to be a disaster, and hopefully next year we keep the playoff, but just let the AP decide the top 4 that move on to the semi finals.
Way to single out the woman, bruh.

I'm in Mandel's school of thought. The top 2 teams usually work themselves out pretty clearly by end of the season, (thx West Virginia). There are only a handful of years - like 2003 - where a third team had a good stake to a claim.

Draxal

Way to single out the woman, bruh.

I'm in Mandel's school of thought. The top 2 teams usually work themselves out pretty clearly by end of the season, (thx West Virginia). There are only a handful of years - like 2003 - where a third team had a good stake to a claim.

Perfectchaos is now repping Aggie like the rest of the state.

I think it should be top 4 and thats it, I don't like seeing the season extended more than it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom