• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Well yeah but this is pretty much another division.

Like FBS and FCS. That's not the game UCF has been striving towards. More infuriating because there are a number of schools in this new P5 that have done jack shit for years and years other than exist and basically collect a conference welfare check.

The G5 and P5 are closely aligned, and I'd be shocked if the B12 doesn't expand eventually. The lack of conference champ game is going to kill them.

The G5 and P5 are closely aligned, and I'd be shocked if the B12 doesn't expand eventually. The lack of conference champ game is going to kill them.

New autonomy. Could amend the requirements to host a CCG. Maybe only need 5 teams per division. May have other requirements lifted like not having to play everyone in your division like the ACC wants.

Might as well just ditch divisions at that point.

Of course.

At this point, the only realistic avenue for UCF(and UConn/Cinci/BYU) is the Big XII. If they are able to skirt around the current CCG requirements and host one in their current configuration that avenue all but goes completely away. That is likely the last window for the foreseeable future.

ACC is out due to FSU and Miami. And :jnc SEC.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Maybe something crazy can be done, if most of these conferences are 14-16 teams:

Lower the necessary OOC games, to only 2. That'll negate the need to find so many scrub teams.

Use the last week or 2 of the regular season for a smaller playoff, inside each conference. Have the 4 best teams play each other, winners go to the CCG, while everyone else is paired with likewise teams in the conference.

As an example:

EAST
Missouri 7-1 12-2
South Carolina 6-2 11-2
Georgia 5-3 8-5
Vanderbilt 4-4 9-4
Florida 3-5 4-8
Tennessee 2-6 5-7
Kentucky 0-8 2-10

WEST
Auburn 7-1 12-2
Alabama 7-1 11-2
LSU 5-3 10-3
Texas A&M 4-4 9-4
Mississippi State 3-5 7-6
Ole Miss 3-5 8-5
Arkansas 0-8 3-9

Auburn play USCe, Alabama play Missouri, then Georgia/LSU, Vandy/A&M, Florida/MSUs or Ole Miss, Tenn/the other Miss school, Kentucky/Ark.

Can leave it up to the back 10 teams to play the extra game if they want to, or some schedule changing in case they've already played that team in the earlier part of the schedule.

If off of the old "8 game conference schedule", this can be a nice way to get everyone a ninth game, while also negating the constant cries of uneven scheduling ("That team didn't play the best teams on the other division and we did"). If used with a 9 game conference schedule, this creates a 10 conference game, further proving which teams are worthy for appearances in CCG's and the National Championship playoff.

cdyhybrid

Wait what happened ?

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 7s
Power 5 conferences appear likely they'll soon get autonomy within Division I. News from NCAA convention: http://bit.ly/1fGtMVa

IXzfAWl.gif

jakncoke

Banned
Maybe im reading this wrong, but is this the rich schools trying to make it so that they can give recruits gifts to come to their school? or pay them once they get there? Wont this just create a small section of teams that dominate year in and out? With smaller teams even in the power 5 being left out in the cold? Maybe im way off, but this seems like a really really bad precedent if what im thinking goes through

cdyhybrid

Maybe im reading this wrong, but is this the rich schools trying to make it so that they can give recruits gifts to come to their school? or pay them once they get there? Wont this just create a small section of teams that dominate year in and out? With smaller teams even in the power 5 being left out in the cold? Maybe im way off, but this seems like a really really bad precedent if what im thinking goes through

It's a step towards the power 5 breaking away from the NCAA. And those schools already dominate, even without the players getting paid.

Draxal

It's a step towards the power 5 breaking away from the NCAA. And those schools already dominate, even without the players getting paid.

I don't think they want to so much break away from the NCAA, as Emmert is a pretty good target for everything that goes wrong, and it would really suck for the other sports besides football.

It's just they don't want tiny DIV 3 schools telling what they can do, and right now those DIV 3 schools can.

I'm not as big into CFB as I am with the NFL but I've heard great things about Stanford's DC so I'm very excited. Hopefully he will be able to grow the program in Nashville for years to come!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
They're going to have to do one of two things if they want to pay football and basketball players. They're either going to have to further legally separate athletic programs from the schools or they're going to have to pay ALL athletes in even the non-revenue sports so that they don't get cross with Title IX.

I don't think every school in even the "big 5" conferences can afford to do option 2.

well whatever they're thinking with doing that is working .... I clicked.

And I forwarded it along to CFB-GAF, so I'm an ancillary cause of the problem. If we can't rid ourselves of pre-pre season polls, I think pre-season polls are here to stay forever no matter how pointless they are. Its a conversation piece.

Branduil

I would not mind preseason polls if they were pointless. The problem is that they do have a point, and they are actively harmful to accurate polling throughout the rest of the season and into the postseason.

They're going to have to do one of two things if they want to pay football and basketball players. They're either going to have to further legally separate athletic programs from the schools or they're going to have to pay ALL athletes in even the non-revenue sports so that they don't get cross with Title IX.

I don't think every school in even the "big 5" conferences can afford to do option 2.
Assuming the $5k per player per year is accurate and assume 400 total players per program, that is $2 million per year.

With the inflated TV contacts and the revenue from the playoff, that is likely very possible for most. Unless the AD is in absolute shambles like Rutgers or Maryland. But even then, it is likely doable for them.

Limedust

I don't know that I would say he is under market value. Clemson wins a lot of games, and Dabo is a great recruiter and WR coach, but...

- Clemson is good for, at least, one blowout loss a season.
- He's 1-5 as HC against SCar.

That said, he's still pretty young. I think this coming season will really show how good of a HC he is.

If Clemson can get 10 or 11 wins, including the bowl, next year, I think Dabo will have done a good job. I think next year's schedule will be somewhat difficult and they're losing a big part of their offense with Boyd and Watkins.

OOC Home games - South Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State
OOC Road games - Georgia

ACC Home games - Louisville, Syracuse, NC State, North Carolina
ACC Road games - Florida State, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Wake Forest

Actually, I change my mind. Fuck it all as well.

This university is beyond inept.

No OC/DC to recruit as the dead period ends.

Commits flipping from RU to Indiana.

I'm sick of this administration that has no qualms in just writing this year off until next.

Draxal

This university is beyond inept.

No OC/DC to recruit as the dead period ends.

Commits flipping from RU to Indiana.

I'm sick of this administration that has no qualms in just writing this year off until next.

It's going to get really nasty, Hermann's going to get some pushback and its going to get sexist/homophobic.

I'm seriously thinking of refunding my season tickets, we deserve to be kicked out of the Big 10 at this point.

It's going to get really nasty, Hermann's going to get some pushback and its going to get sexist/homophobic.

I'm seriously thinking of refunding my season tickets, we deserve to be kicked out of the Big 10 at this point.

I'm waiting until the last day to renew my tickets depending on who they hire for the OC/DC job. Who wants to come here, Flood will be gone next year, and odds are whomever gets hired won't be retained.

Draxal

What happened now?

Edit: RU fired the OC and DC lol?

We fired the dc a while back (which is why we're so pissed off the job has been open for a month and a half), OC left to become the assistant head coach of the Detroit Lions.

And recruits are flipping (to other schools).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom