• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

The active Vol receivers in the NFL are the below. Not really any household names on there, though I think Patterson could be a good one and Moore is probably the best of the lot right now.

Justin Hunter
Robert Meachem
Cordarrelle Patterson
Denarious Moore

In the interest of not being a homer, I'm not going to compare with my school, I'll compare to LSU. I'm just saying, Butch Jones was talking out of his ass. He can sell that line to recruits, but anybody that follows the sport doesn't think of Tennessee as Wide Receiver U.

Odell Beckham
Kadron Boone
Trindon Holliday
Brandon Lafell
Jarvis Landry
Reuben Randle
Russell Shepard
Terrence Toliver
James Wright

I think you could be right in that this could be Tennessee's last year to suck this bad. The problem is just that the schedule is brutal and they've lost so much, and they didn't have much to begin with. They had a good class this year, but there's still a lack of depth, and the depth that they have may be talented but raw. That's a poor combination when facing a tough schedule.

Right now I think I would go with Miami. But all of their primo wrs are on the old side. (Wayne, Andre Johnson, Santana Moss).

Tamanon

Banned
College basketball is awful and probably will be till they fix the shot clock and change the age to 20. But baseball being that high is really surprising. I would have figure it would have been NFL and CFB 1 and 2.

MLB's fanbase is dying off slowly, CFB will be up there at #2 soon. Although it's a kinda weird poll because it throws out the notion of someone being a fan of multiple sports.

Meier

This is awesome. Seems like soccer has really arrived when it's being discussed at SEC Media Days.

I hear his bit about going to Austin for vacation was great.

I only saw a 1-liner on Twitter. Something about how it was awful then we had a great time or something, right? Hah.

MLB's fanbase is dying off slowly, CFB will be up there at #2 soon. Although it's a kinda weird poll because it throws out the notion of someone being a fan of multiple sports.

That was my first takeaway. They should have asked subjects to list their top 5 sports, then the poll could show people's 2nd favorite sport, 3rd favorite sport, etc

1. CFB
2. ATP/WTA
3. NFL
4. NBA
5. CBB

MLB doesn't chart for me. Then again I'm an Astros fan so....

andycapps

The winner of SEC media days is determined by who tells the best stories. Miles and Spurrier are in the MNC this year.

Oh yeah, I think I'd give it to Miles this year. Spurrier was a little more tame. Usually you can tell something about the confidence he has in his team by how boisterous he is. If he's really boisterous, he's not confident at all. If he's confident, he doesn't have as much strutting to do onstage and is more tame. This year was mostly tame.

Right now I think I would go with Miami. But all of their primo wrs are on the old side. (Wayne, Andre Johnson, Santana Moss).

True, Miami is a safe bet for that title.

I only saw a 1-liner on Twitter. Something about how it was awful then we had a great time or something, right? Hah.

Something like that. I think his daughter is in school there, and for some reason they rented bikes to get around the city. And he said there were a lot of hills there, and it was really hot. So he said it was awful, then he said it was a good time. Then someone from the Austin Statesman asked him why it was awful and he explained all that. But it's always funnier when Miles describes it in his weird, halting Michigan accent.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Big 12 Preseason Poll:

OU
Baylor
KSU
Texas
OSU
Tech
TCU
WVU
ISU
KU

Seems like there are really three tiers in every poll I've seen this year.

1 - OU, BU
2 - KSU, UT, OSU, TTU, TCU
3 - WVU, ISU, KU

Teams are kind of interchangeable within those tiers but I can't recall seeing a poll where any team was above or below their tier.

andycapps

Chris Conley (UGA WR) is a man of the people. "Tennessee plays Rocky Top every 3 seconds. It bothers me. Someone could tie their shoe and they'd play Rocky Top."

jjasper

That UK thread about it being 75 degrees and burning up is killing me.
It's like 70-75 here today and has been most of the week plus the high for the next 7 days is 80. I don't think my AC has turned on all week. It is amazing. Or so I was told as I spent most of the week on nights and slept during it.

KingGondo

Banned
Seems like there are really three tiers in every poll I've seen this year.

1 - OU, BU
2 - KSU, UT, OSU, TTU, TCU
3 - WVU, ISU, KU

Teams are kind of interchangeable within those tiers but I can't recall seeing a poll where any team was above or below their tier.
The Tulsa World's OSU beat writer tweeted today that OSU has finished above their predicted spot in 07, 09, '10, '11, and '12. I'll be happy with 9 wins and third place considering our schedule. 8 wins and fourth place is par for me this season.

Also, I think there's a strong chance that Baylor is overrated. They have the QB, but they lost a ton from last year. Only returning 9 starters, including only 4 on defense. Also, KSU only returns 10 starters and they weren't that great last season.

Lots of people drinking the Bill Snyder Kool-Aid and I'm not sure it's justified.

As long as OU doesn't live up to (the always ridiculous) expectations I'll survive. Nothing is worse than a season in which OU competes for the national title. Their fans are the worst.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
NFL: Evaluations of underclassmen limited

NEW YORK -- The NFL will limit the number of underclassmen who can receive evaluations for the draft to five from a single school, although special exceptions will be allowed.

Concerned about the record 107 underclassmen who applied for this year's draft, and with 37 of them not selected, the league's College Advisory Committee developed new guidelines for players considering forfeiting their final years of eligibility.

Troy Vincent, the league's head of football operations, said Friday the underclassmen will be advised on their potential to be picked in the first or second round. They also could be advised to stay in school.

Previous assessments dealt with the first through third rounds and whether a player had no potential of being selected.

"When you look at our accuracy rate, we did a good job evaluating first- and second-round picks," Vincent told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "Below -- the third, fourth and fifth rounds -- a lot of these players were not getting drafted. It's better for these young men to remain a student-athlete for another year."

Only two schools, LSU and California, had more than five underclassmen in this year's draft. Six of LSU's seven players were chosen, while only two of the six from Cal were drafted.

Qualifications for an exception will be taken on a case-by-case basis by the NFL committee.

Vincent emphasized the league is not prohibiting underclassmen from entering the draft, but they "want them to make an informed decision."

He added that the basketball model in which players beyond their first year of eligibility can enter the NBA draft and then withdraw as long as they don't hire an agent would not work for the NFL. Vincent fears "everybody would test the water every year" under a similar system applying to college players whose high school graduation class has completed its third year of college.

Alabama coach Nick Saban said at the SEC media days this week that "it's getting overwhelming" for the NFL's evaluation committee. The Crimson Tide had 11 players ask for evaluations after last season.

"A guy is going to get a first-round grade, a second-round grade or a stay-in-school grade," Saban said. "Look, all these players that went out for the draft, that went out for the draft late, or didn't get drafted, they were potential draft picks next year. They're not in the draft next year. They're not playing college football, either."

Talon

“I love Michigan football for what it is ... intentionally simple."

I may have edited that a little.
There's this really quaint idea in the Michigan fan base that Michigan is pure and represents all that is right about collegiate sports (blah blah blah Bo).

It's really hilarious to watch them get their asses kicked in December.

(I live in Ann Arbor and am a Bama/Oregon/SC/LSU/Georgia Tech/Georgia/Northwestern/Tennessee (seriously, Lonestar, wtf?)/Florida (Andy...)/[Whatever school you'd like] fan)

cdyhybrid

Can't basketball players get a draft eval and then decide whether they want to come back for school or not? Why don't they implement something like that for football? Or do they already have one and players try and come out early anyway?

Can't basketball players get a draft eval and then decide whether they want to come back for school or not? Why don't they implement something like that for football? Or do they already have one and players try and come out early anyway?

They already have one, they have reports and it projects where they would go if they declare.

andycapps

There's this really quaint idea in the Michigan fan base that Michigan is pure and represents all that is right about collegiate sports (blah blah blah Bo).

(I live in Ann Arbor and am a Bama/Oregon/SC/LSU/Georgia Tech/Georgia/Northwestern/Tennessee (seriously, Lonestar, wtf?)/Florida (Andy...)/[Whatever school you'd like] fan)
You're not fooling me. You're a Clempson fan.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I also thought you were a Tennessee fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom